shape
carat
color
clarity

1 ct solitaire Ebay saga update

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prc

Rough_Rock
Today, the appraiser took a look at the stone. Right away she said she noticed a feather that had been filled which is giving off a pinkish orange color. She also described the stone as an SI1, SI2 or possibly even an I. Her report will be completed by Monday afternoon. I have notified the Ebay seller that we will be returning the ring. Do you think I have any chance of returning this ring and getting the stone he promised in the auction which was VVS/D? Or should we get our money back. I advised him if we do accept cash, I want it sent to an escrow account before the ring is returned. Yes we''ve learned our lesson..... Anyone have any ideas on a nice stone can we find for $3500?! We''re sad and feel like suckers.
face14.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
There is no way you are going to get a D/VVS from him. Get your money back and run!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author:prc
Anyone have any ideas on a nice stone can we find for $3500?!
Of course you can get a very lovely stone for $3500!

But you won''t get a one carat D VVs stone for that!

Start reading here these boards...you''ll learn so much! And when you''re ready, I bet lots of people would be happy to help you find a real treasure that fits your budget.

But first things first....GET YOUR MONEY BACK!

widget

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get your money back, and don''t walk - RUN from this guy. Do not attempt to try and get a D VVS 1ct stone from him - you''re never gonna see it, no way, no how.

prc

Rough_Rock
In a previous post, someone had mentioned going to the seller for the stone that was promised but I don''t think that seems to be very likely to happen without court costs and additional hassles that we don''t want or need. I''ll be filing a dispute with Ebay as soon as I have the written report though. I''m going to check Yehuda to see what this stone is appx worth just for the heck of it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2006 6:16:10 PM
Author: prc
In a previous post, someone had mentioned going to the seller for the stone that was promised but I don't think that seems to be very likely to happen without court costs and additional hassles that we don't want or need. I'll be filing a dispute with Ebay as soon as I have the written report though. I'm going to check Yehuda to see what this stone is appx worth just for the heck of it.
There is zero percent chance of this unless you pay through the teeth for a lawyer, wait months or years, and even then, I highly doubt you'd be successful.

I've said this at least a couple of times already, but send that stone back and get your money back! I wouldn't have even paid for that appraisal today, because you already had too many red flags to keep it.

Here are a couple of nice stones from WhiteFlash's Expert Selection, as an example of what you can get (if it is eye clean):

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948521.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1358910.htm#

prc

Rough_Rock
I hope we can get our money back!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2006 6:25:48 PM
Please do let us know what happens! We really are rooting for you!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 6:25:48 PM

Oh, I feel so badly for you
15.gif
. i too hope you can get your money back. I''d definitely go through and escrow service. There is just too great a chance he won''t refund you and once he has the diamond back you''ve got nothing to bargin with. Once the money''s in escrow, they''ll send him the diamond and you the money. I would not trust him for anything
38.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure, you can get a lawyer to try to get the stone he promised but what makes you think that he has a D VVS when he sent you this? Please!! Get your money back and run. I am not familiar with your story, but this is just SOO eBay!

For $3500 you can get something like a .80c or similar I SI from a reputable vendor ... it will not be a D VVS but if the cut is excellent then it will face up whiter and if the stone is eye-clean, no one will know it''s not a D VVS. Also it will probably look as large as a crappy 1c stone because there will be less ''hidden'' depth.

I had a G VS and then an H SI and now a J SI and the cut makes all the difference. Stick around and learn something on here about diamonds in your search, good luck!!

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
A D vvs will cost around 10K. it will take a lawyer, and probably a court case to make him give you that stone. And will he even be able to pay up? You could put a lien against his home if he is a homeowner, but otherwise, it will be difficult to get him to cough up that stone.

Totally not worth it, and you will waste so much time.

get your money back through an escrow service, contact ebay about him, and leave a Negative so other people can be forewarned.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
VERY nice eBree!!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
I vote to just try and get the money back. Hopefully you''ll be able to.

Anything more than that will just create the hassle of a lifetime which I don''t think would be worth it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2006 5:52:58 PM
Author:prc
Today, the appraiser took a look at the stone. Right away she said she noticed a feather that had been filled which is giving off a pinkish orange color. She also described the stone as an SI1, SI2 or possibly even an I. Her report will be completed by Monday afternoon. I have notified the Ebay seller that we will be returning the ring. Do you think I have any chance of returning this ring and getting the stone he promised in the auction which was VVS/D? Or should we get our money back. I advised him if we do accept cash, I want it sent to an escrow account before the ring is returned. Yes we've learned our lesson..... Anyone have any ideas on a nice stone can we find for $3500?! We're sad and feel like suckers.
face14.gif
prc
i have a better chance of hitting the lotto,then him sending you a D VVS stone
38.gif
i hate to say it but,i'm the one who told you not to waste the money with an appraiser on this stone.please keep in mind ..nobody sells fillet migion for hamburger price, NOBODY!!.just try to get your money back as soon as possible.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry it turned out this way for you Pam, but you need to get your money back off this guy PRONTO then have nothing more to do with his gemstones. You can find a great diamond online if you prefer - find something you can love and feel good about, not with numerous red flags and doubts.

''For $3500 you can get something like a .80c or similar I SI from a reputable vendor ... it will not be a D VVS but if the cut is excellent then it will face up whiter and if the stone is eye-clean, no one will know it's not a D VVS. Also it will probably look as large as a crappy 1c stone because there will be less 'hidden' depth.''

Mara hits then nail on the head and she knows what she is talking about - excellent advice.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second that too, only that F/SI2 sounds allot better than I/SI and it below 3k anyway.

I wouldn''t bet the unfortunate CE is D color (the VVS part is clear by now) - but even if it were - betweeen D and F in this size, there will be no difference to see even under close inspection. Due to cut, this .8cts is also 6mm. Top cut & cheaper. What else to wish for ?
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put all your energies at the moment INTO GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!! Then once you have the money, take a breath, then start again. We will help you if that is what you would like.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
prc, I'm so sorry. I too have been burned on Ebay....not something as expensive, but I sure know how it feels to feel violated.

I would just get your money back and be done with the a- hole. I know how tempting they make it sound, but if they were not honest in the first place, why would they be now????

its also easy for those sellers to "disappear", or change their usernames....and avoid getting caught all together.

so, that said, nail that Basxxxx!!!

prc

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! Thanks for the advice and support. We''re getting an AGA appraisal for $35 and I just want to confirm that this isn''t what he said it was since we''re outside of the 7 day return policy he''d said he''d honor. Then I''m going to file with Ebay for substantial misrepresentation or an item and file negative feedback. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn''t a "good deal" and didn''t want to accuse the buyer based on the jewelry store owner''s opinion since he isn''t a gemologist.

I emailed the seller to get the name of the gemologist who performed the appraisal because it was not signed (BF wanted me to find out). The appraisal from "GRA" just had the name and address in L.A. The seller said he''d tell me Tuesday - and it''s now Friday and I haven''t heard back from him. (big surprise)

I emailed the seller yesterday afternoon (after talking to the appraiser) to tell him that we would be returning the stone for a refund and would be using an escrow agent. He hasn''t responded. I read up on the dispute policy with ebay and they allow 10-90 days from purchase for the complaint to be filed for a misrepresented item. Will do this as soon as I get the appraisal back tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks again!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

I am so so sorry about this. Many people find buying jewelry on EBay to not turn out well. I have had bad jewelry experiences myself.

I am one of the few "lucky" ones however in the end. My soon-to-be husband bought a ring on Ebay, but the diamond came from a well-known store in San Francisco with a GIA cert. My soon-to-be husband picked it up in person at the store. I turned out with a "square emerald cut" 1.95 "I" VVS2 set in an antique platinum mount with .50 cttw diamonds "H" color for $5,500.

It is really hard to find a good deal...you have to be really careful. Don''t feel too bad, you didn''t know. My mother always says you must make the mistake once for yourself.

prc

Rough_Rock
UCLA Belle - Is this seller still selling rings on Ebay? If so, what is his userid or store name? I''ll probably won''t use Ebay again for something so large, but was just wondering.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pam, you are best staying away from Ebay for your diamond - truly. With your budget, some compromises will have to be made to get near the carat mark for a colourless diamond.

This might fit the bill as an example.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-659426.htm

This is around .8 carat , is an E colour and a fantastic H&A cut. This is the sort of superior diamond you can find from a good reputable online vendor. This diamond might be eyeclean as the pic is very magnified.

Also this one http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948521.htm# could be a good pick.

And this one http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1292135.htm looks promising too.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad you read up on the dispute policy at eBay - did you use PalPal to pay for the item? I beleive their dispute timeframe is shorter than eBay''s, could be 30 or 45 days, so take a peek - if you used a credit card to pay for the item contact your credit card issuing bank IMMEDIATELY!! they can prevent payment from being sent on the charge and even help you recover your money if need be.

Also, did you get the sellers contact information from ebay? with that, you get the sellers name, address and PHONE number

if it makes you feel better, you aren''t alone. i purchased a ring off of ebay, too. it was listed as d/vvs2/.51carat solitare. Well, I have the ring and it IS a real diamond, but it''s not anywhere near what she said it was - and worst, when I searched online I found the EXACT diamond information she had listed from a vendor online. I was lucky and she was pretty ok to deal with, so ultimately I kept it since I believe I still got a great deal..but not everyone is that fortunate.

I wish you all the luck in the world in getting this straightened out.

prc

Rough_Rock
He just emailed that he wouldn''t use an escrow service. He wants me to mail the ring back so he can resell it and then give me my money back! I told him he could send me the money first, then I''ll return the ring (equally as laughable).

Should I mention the clarity-enhancement to him again or the lesser quality? I''m sure he''ll just deny it again, so I''m going straight to a dispute with Ebay as he is incorrugible.
Forbidden - He insisted on cashier''s check (it''s all becoming so clear.....) so I don''t have PayPal or credit card protection.

What about an appraisal that we paid $65 for that came with the ring -- shouldn''t it be signed and have the name of the appraiser on it? He still won''t tell us the name of the appraiser. He''s just ignoring the question(s). Wouldn''t be surprised if he was the appraiser too!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
This guy sounds like a real scoundral. I am sure if you went along with his scheme, he would keep the ring and claim he did not sell it yet.
I think the fact that he does not take PayPal should be a clue. Most of the scam artists do not accept it because you have more recourse.
I wonder if it would be appropriate to give his name here. What he did is disgraceful I hope he will be removed from Ebay.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
seriously PRC I can''t believe you even bought this diamond with this many red flags. no further information on an appraisal, pay only with cashiers check, D VVS 1c stone for a mere few thousand...need i say more?!?

in the words of another gal here...i am trying to tap into the well of sympathy but i can''t really find it....i know you started other threads about this after you had gotten the stone, people told you to return it posthaste, and it seems like you did whatever you wanted anyway and now you are out of the seller''s time period for returning the stone, out the money for the stone AND 2 appraisals, and have a nice long battle ahead of you to recover it. fun stuff.

anyway...i seriously don''t know if you will get your money back, ebay can knock this guy out of their system and blacklist them or whatever, but it doesn''t mean you''ll get back what you paid, ESP with cashiers check--what is the recourse there? none!

this whole thing just really brought to mind a phrase that has been uttered on here before time and time again in conjunction with ebay...''fools and their money are soon parted''. unfortunately with big ticket jewelry items, people always seem to want the best possible deal without realizing you often get what you pay for. literally.

regardless, good luck with returning it!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Once upon a time--way before I found pricescope--I bought a ring off of eBay. BIG MISTAKE #1. Like you, I continued to correspond with the vendor in the hopes that he would make it right or would at least be reasonable. BIG MISTAKE #2. It''s a long, annoying story, but it had a happy ending: I got my money back and the vendor was removed from eBay. It only happened because I stopped messing around took action.

So pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase, do not pass "Go," do not collect $200, do not wait for the appraisal (you''ll have it soon enough and probably don''t even need it). File a dispute with eBay immediately. In my experience, this is the only way that you''ll get any action. I''m copying and pasting the link to eBay''s "Item Not As Described" dispute process to make it that much easier:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html

You''ve gotten some great advice here. Please listen to it. Stop emailing with the vendor (he''s just jerking you around) and get another party involved.

Hoping it all works out for you. Best of luck!!

prc

Rough_Rock
mara - i''m not looking for sympathy, just feedback. the seller had 100% feedback when we bid on the ring and send the cashier''s check and emails stating that he would give us a refund for any reason. we didn''t know that the appraisal would not be signed or would be from "GRA" until we received it with the ring from the seller.

I tried to give the seller the benefit of the doubt. I wanted the appraisal to prove that he has falsified the ad. A jeweler''s opinion stating that it was clarity enhanced really wasn''t concrete enough for me to try to shut him out of business on ebay; however, an appraisal is.

The seller falsified the ad for the diamond, therefore he must be untrustworthy so why would I now send him the ring back and wait for him to resell it on ebay and then refund me (which is what he is planning to do). He also wouldn''t email me back telling me how to return it and said he won''t use an escrow agent.

If I was educated about buying diamonds, this never would have happened nor would I have located this site to ask questions. The way I see it, the only hope I have of getting my money back is to file a dispute with ebay. I can send him back the ring and not file negative feedback and "hope" that he sells the ring to some other sucker so that I can get my full refund - but would that be right of me?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 1:46:00 PM
mara - i''m not looking for sympathy, just feedback. the seller had 100% feedback when we bid on the ring and send the cashier''s check and emails stating that he would give us a refund for any reason. we didn''t know that the appraisal would not be signed or would be from ''GRA'' until we received it with the ring from the seller.

I tried to give the seller the benefit of the doubt. I wanted the appraisal to prove that he has falsified the ad. A jeweler''s opinion stating that it was clarity enhanced really wasn''t concrete enough for me to try to shut him out of business on ebay; however, an appraisal is.

The seller falsified the ad for the diamond, therefore he must be untrustworthy so why would I now send him the ring back and wait for him to resell it on ebay and then refund me (which is what he is planning to do). He also wouldn''t email me back telling me how to return it and said he won''t use an escrow agent.

If I was educated about buying diamonds, this never would have happened nor would I have located this site to ask questions. The way I see it, the only hope I have of getting my money back is to file a dispute with ebay. I can send him back the ring and not file negative feedback and ''hope'' that he sells the ring to some other sucker so that I can get my full refund - but would that be right of me?
I don''t even know how eBay could get you your money back....it''s not like they hold funds from the sellers. They will most likely kick him off and then you will still be out the money. But I''m surely interested to hear how that works out.

I agree it''s great you found this site to get further educated, but I will say that I don''t think I ever gave a second thought (or even a first one) to buying a D VVS 1c on eBay for $3500 even when I didn''t know one darn thing about diamonds. You get what you pay for!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results