shape
carat
color
clarity

1 big inclusion VS many small inclusions for diamond pendant

keles

Rough_Rock
I'm trying to pick between two SI1 diamonds for a bezeled solitaire diamond pendant. Both are "eye clean" from 10 inches away with the diamond facing up.

0.546, F, SI1
Many small inclusions scattered around the top of the diamond.
http://video.whiteflash.com/2016/05/ags-104086429010_360-21237.mp4

0.616, I, SI1
One major inclusion, a feather that seems to be from the girdle and runs underneath. I cannot see it in the video here.
http://video.whiteflash.com/2016/08/ags-104087889120_360-25079.mp4

Questions:
1) Should I worry about the 0.616 feather? Will it affect everyday aesthetics or affect the diamond's durability?
2) Can the 0.616 feather inclusion be covered with a thin bezel from the pendant (thin bezel as in about half of the pavilion is exposed, similar to Tiffany DBTY solitaire bezel pendant style)? The diamond is supposed eye clean when facing up, but I wonder if it is eye clean from the side with the feather?
3) The 0.546 has multiple small inclusions that I can see in the video. Is it generally true to say multiple small inclusions are better than a big inclusion? Would this 0.546 therefore be the safer choice?
4) Is a color I diamond too "yellow" for a solitaire diamond pendant? Is a color F diamond overkill?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice on my questions!!!

546.png

616.png

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 1 big inclusion VS many small inclusions for diamond pen

I'd pick the bigger one. The size difference will probably be more noticeable than any inclusion. They are both ACA, so blindingly sparkly.

If anyone is within 10 inches of your chest, they probably aren't checking out your diamond. :naughty:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 1 big inclusion VS many small inclusions for diamond pen

I think you are over thinking this. If they are both eye-clean then it's really down to color and size.
Why didnt you give us the links to the stone so we can check size. You should also give us the price so we determine
if one is a better value or not.

1) Should I worry about the 0.616 feather? Will it affect everyday aesthetics or affect the diamond's durability?
No, you do not need to worry about it. It is in a pendant and will not be getting the wear and tear a ring gets. It is
a small feather and you probably wouldnt even need to worry about it if it were going in a ring.

2) Can the 0.616 feather inclusion be covered with a thin bezel from the pendant (thin bezel as in about half of the pavilion is exposed, similar to Tiffany DBTY solitaire bezel pendant style)? The diamond is supposed eye clean when facing up, but I wonder if it is eye clean from the side with the feather?
I dont think it needs to be covered because it is not visible. Put it in a bezel if you like bezels but other wise no. You can probally
ask WF if it is visible from the side. People dont usually see the sides of pendants but maybe this is a mind clean issue???

3) The 0.546 has multiple small inclusions that I can see in the video. Is it generally true to say multiple small inclusions are better than a big inclusion? Would this 0.546 therefore be the safer choice?
Generally yes, small is better than 1 large but each set of inclusions needs to be judged on its own. I dont think you should be calling that feather a big inclusion. Is it bigger than the little ones on the .5 stone, yes but it's not big. Again, I think you are
over analyzing. Those images are blown up so many times. These are little 5. something mm stones. You can barely see anything
with them blown up.

4) Is a color I diamond too "yellow" for a solitaire diamond pendant? Is a color F diamond overkill?
F is overkill FOR ME and "I" is fine FOR ME. You need to go look at some well cut GIA/AGS stones in person and see if you
are color sensitive or not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results