shape
carat
color
clarity

1.9ct J color pls help pick one

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Many people are intrigued by fluorescence, and there is a persistent belief among some dealers and consumers that fluorescence can improve the appearance of some diamonds. However, it is a mistake to base a buying decision on the assumption that fluorescence will make a diamond look whiter than its laboratory color grade.
The science is pretty clear that other than outside in strong daylight, there are very few lighting environments that contain sufficient intensity of UV to stimulate the fluorescent effect and therefore to provide any potential color masking.
There has been much written about this subject here on pricescope and elsewhere. An overview of the subject can be found here. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

I am one of those that is intrigued.=)2 Ever since I bought a H diamond with strong fluorescence and it look even whiter than the E diamond that supposedly have better cutting , I was convince that the fluorescence have something to do with it. The H diamond face up whiter with more sparkles and more fire.

Although I do understand that the fluorescence might make it more difficult to resell, if I confirm with the vendor that the strong fluorescence do not make the specific diamond look milky, no brown and green tint, maybe it is a good buy because the price is discounted? I have 2 diamonds with medium blue fluorescence and I don’t see it have any effect on my diamonds, that’s why I like strong fluorescence. I just love seeing the blue when it’s under bright sun.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your input and I learned so much reading the thread and comments here.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you got a very nice J color! How do you like it in regards to the color? Does it bother you compare to higher grade color?

To be honest, when I first saw my J, i almost returned it because I thought it was just too yellow for me. But I also knew it would be difficult to find another diamond that size for that price and that well cut. So I kept it, and over time I’ve fallen very much in love with it. I keep thinking I eventually want to trade up to an H color, but it would be very hard to give up my diamond.
Also, I have 2 other diamonds with strong blue fluorescence, and they look the same as my J with medium fluorescence under a black light and in the sun. So I’m not sure how much difference you will see between medium and strong fluorescence. You are getting a discount on the 2.51 carat because of the fluorescence and maybe because the cut isn’t ideal. The only thing you can do is look at it in person, and see if you like it. Compare it to your other diamonds in as many lighting conditions as you can. Hopefully there’s a return period if you don’t fall in love with it. $20k is a lot of money to spend to not love a diamond ring.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am one of those that is intrigued.=)2 Ever since I bought a H diamond with strong fluorescence and it look even whiter than the E diamond that supposedly have better cutting , I was convince that the fluorescence have something to do with it. The H diamond face up whiter with more sparkles and more fire.

Although I do understand that the fluorescence might make it more difficult to resell, if I confirm with the vendor that the strong fluorescence do not make the specific diamond look milky, no brown and green tint, maybe it is a good buy because the price is discounted? I have 2 diamonds with medium blue fluorescence and I don’t see it have any effect on my diamonds, that’s why I like strong fluorescence. I just love seeing the blue when it’s under bright sun.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your input and I learned so much reading the thread and comments here.
My thoughts : I too consider myself to be among those 'intrigued' with fluorescence. Actually, I have always been drawn to things that fluoresce. Since I was a kid seeing my first fire fly, and then as a teenager seeing glowing posters under a black light in the psychedelic era, to becoming a scuba diver and making night dives with various amazing fluorescent animals, and then learning about fluorescent minerals and gems once I entered the jewelry industry.

Because of my lifelong fascination I have taken a special interest in the topic of fluorescence as both a diagnostic gem identification factor as well as a value factor that can significantly impact pricing.
As you will find if you dig into the topic of diamond fluorescence, there is a lot of debate and some very strong opinions. It is often difficult to determine to what extent some of those opinions are self serving from a business perspective, born of a subjective predisposition, derive from observations that conflate factors unrelated to fluoresce, and where those opinions are based on objective and verifiable evidence.

No doubt there will be continued debate and there are interesting things being learned around the edges of the topic. There is apparently a new study by HRD that is getting some attention. But it is clear to me from a combination of available scientific studies and the observations that have been conducted by GIA and others, that from a consumer protection perspective, it is a mistake to make a buying decision on the presumption that fluorescence will make a diamond look whiter than it's lab grade, although that is a VERY commonly repeated premise.

Regarding the sentence that I bolded in your post above. This is very likely to be an example of conflating other factors that are unrelated to fluoresce.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, when I first saw my J, i almost returned it because I thought it was just too yellow for me. But I also knew it would be difficult to find another diamond that size for that price and that well cut. So I kept it, and over time I’ve fallen very much in love with it. I keep thinking I eventually want to trade up to an H color, but it would be very hard to give up my diamond.
Also, I have 2 other diamonds with strong blue fluorescence, and they look the same as my J with medium fluorescence under a black light and in the sun. So I’m not sure how much difference you will see between medium and strong fluorescence. You are getting a discount on the 2.51 carat because of the fluorescence and maybe because the cut isn’t ideal. The only thing you can do is look at it in person, and see if you like it. Compare it to your other diamonds in as many lighting conditions as you can. Hopefully there’s a return period if you don’t fall in love with it. $20k is a lot of money to spend to not love a diamond ring.

The 2.51ct is so cheap is because it is milky. I had the vendor send me image and they confirmed. So out of the window. But they found a 2.55ct, and I follow the proportion recommended from pricescope. I actually made a thread on all the details I have on this diamond. Take a look.

2.55ct I color VS1 Strong blue fluorescence GIA
Jeweler confirmed with the diamond source no brown, milky and green.
Table 57 depth 62 crown 34.5 pavilion 40.8
HCA 1.5 with 3 excellent and 1 very good
Link for video of the diamond
https://segoma.com/v.aspx?type=view&id=BPL84BKEHL

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10316738

Hands down way better than the other choices, price is good, clarity is good, color is good. I think it’s a good pick even though the numbers are perfect, I think it’s going to be a good performer

I'm not sure, but I'd request it regardless

Bluenile got in touch with their vendor and got the image. I have no idea how to interpret these images. So please take a look for me.
DA055526-9BD9-4B91-A941-F60A8690D7B5.jpeg BC803489-AE40-403B-B135-E4D5FC0ADF63.jpeg A5A3B7B7-C926-487D-B4F1-8A4159205CDE.jpeg BC229FFE-05F9-4713-B6FB-873ECEEA025E.jpeg

beardog

Rough_Rock
Compare your ideal scope between the WF Stone & this one side by side & I think you'll see more more white/light pink in this one which would suggest a decent amount of leakage.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Compare your ideal scope between the WF Stone & this one side by side & I think you'll see more more white/light pink in this one which would suggest a decent amount of leakage.
Can you show me which one on WF? I must have lost track of the diamond we talk about.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bluenile got in touch with their vendor and got the image. I have no idea how to interpret these images. So please take a look for me.
DA055526-9BD9-4B91-A941-F60A8690D7B5.jpeg BC803489-AE40-403B-B135-E4D5FC0ADF63.jpeg A5A3B7B7-C926-487D-B4F1-8A4159205CDE.jpeg BC229FFE-05F9-4713-B6FB-873ECEEA025E.jpeg

Hard pass, lots of light leakage. What about the one you put on hold?

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
The 23k one that kk presented to you on your other post
This one is actually my mom ordering. I wanted it to work for her so badly. I already order it and maybe I should let it get to me to see it in person. My mom loves the setting from bluenile a lot and I can’t find anything close to that setting for her.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This one is actually my mom ordering. I wanted it to work for her so badly. I already order it and maybe I should let it get to me to see it in person. My mom loves the setting from bluenile a lot and I can’t find anything close to that setting for her.

You could order the setting or have it custom made, there are a few really great vendors depending on your price range is and what you would like (vintage/modern)

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Hard pass, lots of light leakage. What about the one you put on hold?

The guy had been helping me won’t be back till Tuesday, so I guess I would have to ask him to get the images. The setting my mom like only allow the stone up to 1.93 I believe. Let me do a new search for her or see if I can find her something else on WF.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The guy had been helping me won’t be back till Tuesday, so I guess I would have to ask him to get the images. The setting my mom like only allow the stone up to 1.93 I believe. Let me do a new search for her or see if I can find her something else on WF.

They can also do custom settings

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
You could order the setting or have it custom made, there are a few really great vendors depending on your price range is and what you would like (vintage/modern)
Bluenile won’t just sell the setting from what I know. So my mom would have to find a new setting altogether. I will Check it out.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
The 23k one that kk presented to you on your other post

the 23k one is for me. My mom have a diamond from bluebell to upgrade and I have one that I want WF to take and trade for a bigger stone.

I found 3 on bluenile my mom can pick from. 2 of the diamonds she can get credit for 10.5 k for the upgrade. the other one she can use her 12k credit because the diamond is double of her original price. Take a look please. @KKJohnson
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD00043334?click_id=814179126
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD00064570?click_id=742163160
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Last edited:

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
OK...I am leaning toward the H color 2.3ct H SI1 HCA 1.1 and this 2.5ct I SI1 HCA1.3 from Bluenile for the upgrade value that I can get.

Both diamonds have indented natural. The H color one have it right on the table and the I color one is in the corner of the table. Also H color size wise is a little bit smaller. I am leaning toward to the I color. What about you?

The diamond is zoomed so big. If in person, I should not be able to spot it. As long as I do not see it I am ok with it. But this diamond really is for my mom and knowing her, she will not see it at all, and she said she is fine with it.

Does it bother any of you and do you think in case of resell it will be difficult?

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all, my mom made the dicision and did the upgrade to have the 2.5ct I SI1 Astor diamond from BN. I think it’s beautiful!
BD9B86C7-4E4A-41AF-B999-8AA397148B7B.jpeg
CB5CACF2-B3E2-4627-99D2-EA5ED68CD5CD.jpeg

Congrats to your mom on the new stone. So many diamonds got mentioned. Is this the 2.5ct she ended up buying?

If so, proportions look very good -- 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion, 75 LGF's, 56 table & 61.5 depth. My concern would have been clouds as grade setting inclusions + note about additional clouds not shown. That can be a bad combo that may result in a hazy stone.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats to your mom on the new stone. So many diamonds got mentioned. Is this the 2.5ct she ended up buying?

If so, proportions look very good -- 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion, 75 LGF's, 56 table & 61.5 depth. My concern would have been clouds as grade setting inclusions + note about additional clouds not shown. That can be a bad combo that may result in a hazy stone.

Hi there, it is this stone. I looked at the stone and it does not look hazy at all. How should I inspect it? But since this is Blue Nile’s Astor diamond, they should have inspected it?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, it is this stone. I looked at the stone and it does not look hazy at all. How should I inspect it? But since this is Blue Nile’s Astor diamond, they should have inspected it?

It may not be hazy at all. Easiest way is to examine with your own eyes. If you need reference stones, take to a local jeweler store and ask for a stone with similar SI1 clarity and then also look at a few stones with slightly better clarity. Avoid using scopes/loupes in your initial comparison.

Most people consider an "eye clean" stone to have no inclusions/hazy issues within 10" looking at the top in a controlled lighting environment with 20/20 vision. Picky people like me prefer the same conditions but at 6" away and includes the top & sides.

FWIW, I don't put any stock or value in "Astor Ideal" cut. Yes, they should have assessed the stone but I have no way to honestly answer that. If they did analyze it, you also need to question by whom and how qualified was the person that inspected it.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
It may not be hazy at all. Easiest way is to examine with your own eyes. If you need reference stones, take to a local jeweler store and ask for a stone with similar SI1 clarity and then also look at a few stones with slightly better clarity. Avoid using scopes/loupes in your initial comparison.

Most people consider an "eye clean" stone to have no inclusions/hazy issues within 10" looking at the top in a controlled lighting environment with 20/20 vision. Picky people like me prefer the same conditions but at 6" away and includes the top & sides.

FWIW, I don't put any stock or value in "Astor Ideal" cut. Yes, they should have assessed the stone but I have no way to honestly answer that. If they did analyze it, you also need to question by whom and how qualified was the person that inspected it.

Hi again, for now I was try to inspect with my own eyes and within 6 inches away I don’t see anything on top and a very very small cloud on the side. Which is the inclusion that you can see on the video. I am able to see the inclusion when I put it very close to my eyes, but it is so small that I am not concern. After all she paid for SI1 clarity.

I will inspect for the haziness from different lighting the next few days.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut of the diamond looks beautiful. I think that cluster of black cloud inclusions right under the table might bother me. They are visible in the video but I am sure it's harder to see in regular viewing. I'd just look at it up close in good lighting and make sure you can't see it. If you can, I'd change the stone.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
The cut of the diamond looks beautiful. I think that cluster of black cloud inclusions right under the table might bother me. They are visible in the video but I am sure it's harder to see in regular viewing. I'd just look at it up close in good lighting and make sure you can't see it. If you can, I'd change the stone.

I like this stone a lot actually, it face up almost as white as my H color. I tried looking at it at various lighting. It is extremely difficult to find the black cloud inclusion.

However I am able to see a little bit of it when I try very hard. It can take me about 45 seconds to a minute to find the spot on the top, and once I found the top part, I can look down to the side to see it. Sometimes I can’t seem to find it at all. I do need to clarify that I have very good eyes and I am very picky. I think most people don’t get the chance to stare at the diamond for that long.

On the other hand, the diamond is for my mother who is in her mid 50s. She said she will never be able to see it even with her eye glasses on, and it does not bother her at all.

I will continue to inspect it for a few more days.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results