shape
carat
color
clarity

1.9ct J color pls help pick one

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Hello I am new to this community. I found a setting that I really like on bluenile, so I am purchasing a diamond to go with it. I found two from their site that is both J color with strong fluorescence. One is 1.9ct vs2 $11400 the other is 1.86 vs1 $9900. Inserted details of both diamond and the setting I will be using.

I called up their diamond expert and 2 people said go with the cheaper one because the value is much better. I do notice that the 1.86ct look warmer in the picture but I think it’s because the other 1.9ct picture have a different lighting like a much more blue background.

I also have 1.24 H color IF clarity with strong fluorescence and think it is so white and more sparkles compare to my E color 1.5 vs2 with medium fluorescence diamond. So I am planing to buy the J and with fluorescence to help boost the color, vs clarity will work for me as long as it is eye clean. Btw all of the diamond I have and will get will all have 3 excellent on their cutting.

Please give advise which is better? Thanks in advance.

F264D7CC-0408-4EA3-8A69-DFD11C4D2101.png
FF0ECB90-22A4-41FE-9A12-F47DB3495BC1.png
2CE8EBDD-3841-42A5-A25B-9BE14D15904E.png
B8715951-F3A5-4251-A744-A7EA7759692C.png
B8165F1F-3A3F-4B3B-B8C4-1F831BAF6851.png
91BA8A0C-B2B0-4120-A699-F5B4461FF17B.png

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
The VS2 J has a steep crown and steep Pavillion Angle and won't work well together.
The VS1 J has a shallow crown and very steep Pavillion angle and won't work well together. I wouldn't buy neither based on proportions. I'm sure others will reply soon and give you better options.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
The VS2 J has a steep crown and steep Pavillion Angle and won't work well together.
The VS1 J has a shallow crown and very steep Pavillion angle and won't work well together. I wouldn't buy neither based on proportions. I'm sure others will reply soon and give you better options.

Hi, thank for your reply. What does it mean when it comes to steep crown and pavilion? Also what does it mean shallow crown? What does it mean intern of effecting the diamond?

Sorry I don’t really know much about these terms.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just put the numbers into the Holloway Cut Advisor, which is a tool for rejecting stones, the first one scores 4.1, the second 5.7.

This basically means that visual performance is only ranked at good, (as opposed to excellent) and buying is only recommended if price is your only criteria.

If you post your budget, the experts on here will help you find a beautifully cut stone that will sparkle it’s socks off.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve just put the numbers into the Holloway Cut Advisor, which is a tool for rejecting stones, the first one scores 4.1, the second 5.7.

This basically means that visual performance is only ranked at good, (as opposed to excellent) and buying is only recommended if price is your only criteria.

If you post your budget, the experts on here will help you find a beautifully cut stone that will sparkle it’s socks off.

I am looking to spent between 10k-12k on the diamond.

The 1.9ct I mentioned is $11.5k and the 1.86ct is $9.8k. I called up bluenile and they told me I should go with the cheaper one because of the value between these two diamond.

If anyone one of you can find a better diamond base on my budget I would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

beardog

Rough_Rock
I'd start by filtering my search results with a 54-57 table & 60-62 depth. 'if you Google pricescope ideal proportions you will find a wealth of information'. Then widdle down your options from there. I think that with a 12k ceiling you'll have a hard time finding a stone that close to 2ct, so you'll have to decide if size or cut is more important to you. I think most here will tell you cut is king.
Also just a guy giving my opinion but I wouldn't limit my search to one site due to a setting

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is size your biggest wish for this? What I am finding within your budget is 1.5-1.6 ct that look good but it appears you want as close to 2 carats as you can get, is that correct?

Edited to add even if dropping to a Si clarity it is still a little difficult but it’s putting you in the 1.7 ct range

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I guess things happened for a reason. Bluenile called me to let me know that the 1.86ct is sold, and they found me a 1.83ct that’s scored 1.9 on HCA which is very good for ring. J color IF clarity. Still under 12k See picture for the specs.

Do you guys think this one is better buy?

1C10EAB8-C9C7-407E-96CE-F8C99326C2D7.png

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I'd start by filtering my search results with a 54-57 table & 60-62 depth. 'if you Google pricescope ideal proportions you will find a wealth of information'. Then widdle down your options from there. I think that with a 12k ceiling you'll have a hard time finding a stone that close to 2ct, so you'll have to decide if size or cut is more important to you. I think most here will tell you cut is king.
Also just a guy giving my opinion but I wouldn't limit my search to one site due to a setting

Is size your biggest wish for this? What I am finding within your budget is 1.5-1.6 ct that look good but it appears you want as close to 2 carats as you can get, is that correct?

Edited to add even if dropping to a Si clarity it is still a little difficult but it’s putting you in the 1.7 ct range

Look what Bluenile found. They said 1.86 ct was sold and told me not to buy the 1.9ct because it’s not a good diamond. Do you think this new one 1.83ct is a good one? Scored 1.9 on HCA.
1C10EAB8-C9C7-407E-96CE-F8C99326C2D7.png

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Posting the direct link is better...

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10316738

Hands down way better than the other choices, price is good, clarity is good, color is good. I think it’s a good pick even though the numbers are perfect, I think it’s going to be a good performer

beardog

Rough_Rock
You could request an aset/ideal scope to check performance.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t think bluenile provided those. Am I wrong?

I'm not sure, but I'd request it regardless

I called them up and they said they can ask the vendor to see if they could take the ideal scope image, but they might not be able to. I can always request.

The other thing is that I might not want the 1.83 diamond because the fluorescence is medium. I wanted a strong fluorescence to help with the J color. I am asking them to search for one with strong fluorescence and have the 1.83 on hold.

Right now I am so confused that if I should use the HCA, because I have a H color IF clarity strong blue fluorescence that was not recommended by HCA, and scored lower than my E color vs2 medium blue. I also found the H color diamond have more fire and sparkles.

One of my jeweler found a 2.51ct diamond with the setting for $20k and she only sent me an image on the GIA and a picture of the setting. The diamond on the setting is a 3ct not the 2.51ct. Which setting you think is better looking, the blue ole one or from this jeweler?

The 2.51ct diamond on HCA it scored 2.4 What do you guys think of this one?

40C5477B-93D6-46CC-8406-7279D0E4CD97.jpeg
7EC42C66-0552-418A-903E-D37ABA635245.png

Last edited:

beardog

Rough_Rock
I'm just a regular guy that just bought a diamond but did an insane amount of research before buying, so all I'm passing to you is things I've learned in my research. At the end of the day you're getting people's opinions on what makes a diamond beautiful here because in everything beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The HCA is basically a rejection tool. The idea is that if it measures over 2 it should be removed from consideration.
Flouresence can mask color but also is said to make certain diamonds hazy, so that's something to confirm & Consider.
If you want a super ideal cut I can recommend specs but am completely unqualified to tell you how a diamond will look in real life by checking a picture or even a video.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are in New York, call Yekutielnat IDJewelry. Tell him your budget and that Pricescope sent you.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^even if you’re not in NY he can help you. :)

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just a regular guy that just bought a diamond but did an insane amount of research before buying, so all I'm passing to you is things I've learned in my research. At the end of the day you're getting people's opinions on what makes a diamond beautiful here because in everything beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The HCA is basically a rejection tool. The idea is that if it measures over 2 it should be removed from consideration.
Flouresence can mask color but also is said to make certain diamonds hazy, so that's something to confirm & Consider.
If you want a super ideal cut I can recommend specs but am completely unqualified to tell you how a diamond will look in real life by checking a picture or even a video.

Hi there, I read somewhere that fluorescence will make high color above G look cloudy or milky and every that, only 2% is effected.

That’s why I am getting a J color with fluorescence with strong fluorescence, because it will compliment the tinted color by making it look whiter face up.

Thought you might want to do some research on that and maybe it will help in the future purchasing one.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock

Huh... this is very good... I am ok with the size since it’s not a big different...but without the fluorescence I am not sure about J color...

I would like to see what other think.

beardog

Rough_Rock
Huh... this is very good... I am ok with the size since it’s not a big different...but without the fluorescence I am not sure about J color...

I get it. There is much more knowledge here than what I can offer. Ringo's ID suggestion is very highly regarded here.
Fwiw I used whiteflash

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J with medium fluorescence, and I think it helps mask the color a bit. I wouldn’t buy any diamond with strong fluorescence that’s not vetted by a vendor. The 1.83 carat diamond looks like a good pick, plus you can always return it if you don’t like it.

The 2.51 carat your jeweler found is way over your stated budget, and doesn’t have ideal proportions. I would pick the 1.83 carat over the 2.51 carat.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
If you are in New York, call Yekutielnat IDJewelry. Tell him your budget and that Pricescope sent you.

The only thing is with blue Nile I get them to ship to NJ and it will be tax free. With him, they probably charge tax?

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J with medium fluorescence, and I think it helps mask the color a bit. I wouldn’t buy any diamond with strong fluorescence that’s not vetted by a vendor. The 1.83 carat diamond looks like a good pick, plus you can always return it if you don’t like it.

The 2.51 carat your jeweler found is way over your stated budget, and doesn’t have ideal proportions. I would pick the 1.83 carat over the 2.51 carat.

Yea I think it’s a good pick as well.

I have a H that have strong fluorescence that I love, but the only thing is that it’s 1.24ct. It sparkles like crazy compare to my E color and supposedly with better cutting. So all the number is making me going crazy. The paper can say one thing but when I see it it seems different.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, once you get the 1.83 carat diamond, you can compare it with the one your jeweler found you, and see which one you like better. Is your jeweler local to you? It would be great to be able to compare the diamonds in person.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Well, once you get the 1.83 carat diamond, you can compare it with the one your jeweler found you, and see which one you like better. Is your jeweler local to you? It would be great to be able to compare the diamonds in person.

The 1.83ct is my mom purchasing. I confirmed with bluenile that I want this stone. For myself I am looking at the 2.51ct

Do you think the 2.51ct is a good buy for the price? Total diamond and setting for $20k. The setting alone is $4k, so $16k for 2.51ct sound amazing to me...but according to people on pricescope the proportion is not ideal?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I guess that’s a good price for the 2.51 carat. My 2.566 carat J, SI1 cost around 20k for the stone alone. But mine is an AGS 0 BGD blue stone, so I guess that’s why mine cost more.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I guess that’s a good price for the 2.51 carat. My 2.566 carat J, SI1 cost around 20k for the stone alone. But mine is an AGS 0 BGD blue stone, so I guess that’s why mine cost more.
Wow, you got a very nice J color! How do you like it in regards to the color? Does it bother you compare to higher grade color?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Many people are intrigued by fluorescence, and there is a persistent belief among some dealers and consumers that fluorescence can improve the appearance of some diamonds. However, it is a mistake to base a buying decision on the assumption that fluorescence will make a diamond look whiter than its laboratory color grade.
The science is pretty clear that other than outside in strong daylight, there are very few lighting environments that contain sufficient intensity of UV to stimulate the fluorescent effect and therefore to provide any potential color masking.
There has been much written about this subject here on pricescope and elsewhere. An overview of the subject can be found here. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results