clarity

1.7ct vs 2.0ct

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi!

A couple of weeks ago I was pretty much set on this diamond,
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R221-1Z01Z1232
But after checking with you guys I decided to look for a better cut diamond and go down a bit in size.

So obviously started to look at the super ideal vendors and decided I wanted to go with Whiteflash. Currently there is nothing in stock that feels 100% but I'm in no rush at the moment.

I'm starting to considering going below 2ct, but the question is, will I notice, once set, a "big" difference between lets say 1.7ct vs 2ct? It's not a question regarding cut vs size by now, it's more if I should wait a bit more or hit a 1.7-1.8 now and save a couple of 1000 dollars(which would be really nice). The most common size in Sweden is 0.2ct-0.5ct so it will be huge either way. Her finger size is 5.75.

"Her only wish is that i propose to her" but after some sneaking she would really appreciate a big diamond. What big is, is however another question, she hasn't tried out any stones :)

Bonus question,
Custom platinum setting from WF
3 rows pavé "ACA Melee" similar to this
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhL6u18hM6L/

6 prongs elegant style with diamonds on the prongs similar to this
http://media.tiffany.com/is/image/T...G_OVIEW_m.jpg?defaultImage=NoImageAvailable&&

Anything to think about in the above?

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Take it from someone who lives in Norway: Anything over 1.5 carat is going to look absolutely gargantuan here in Scandinavia. I would definitely advise getting a 1.7 carat instead of a 2. In fact, I would probably say go down to the 1.2-1.3 carat range, just so that her ring remains within the confines of good taste among her friends.

You say she wants a "large" stone, but hasn't tried any on yet. People's definition of large vary greatly with geographic location. While "large," meaning tastefully large, in America could mean around 2 carat if you're in a big city, to most of the Scandinavian women I know, I'm pretty sure they would define "large" as around 1 carat. So I would definitely recommend checking with your soon-to-be fiancee about what she considers "large" before going ahead with a purchase of this scope.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you seen this one?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3978024.htm

Very eye-clean for an SI1, and a nice F color. One thing I've also noticed in living here is that the diamonds that women wear, while not large, are fairly high in color. Just in the last few months of asking around, I've heard most women say they have something in the F-G range, or "Top Wesselton" as it's referred to here. I don't think you would want to go below G color for this reason, as it seems people put more emphasis on having an icy white stone here as opposed to a big stone (sort of similar to Asia, although not quite the obsession with D color or bust. :D ).

Last edited:

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Specs will be,
1.7-2.0
J
VS2(Si1 if eye-clean)

I think J will be fine :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is she planning on wearing the ring all/most of the time? You will have to baby those settings due to all the melee. If she wants to have a more
wearable ring then I would go down to 1 sided melee. If she is only going to be wearing it for special occasions then 3 sided is ok.

Does not look like WF has any J in that size range. You might call/email them to see what is coming down the pipe. Would a "K" be doable?
You might ask WF for a picture of the K next to a J so you can see the color difference.
This is lovely...
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3872119.htm
Or an I
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3838493.htm
Or smaller J
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3256274.htm Expert Selection

Setting choices
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ife-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-712.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme.../rounded-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-563.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...5-d-delicate-diamond-engagement-ring-3459.htm

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 She will wear it all the time. Doesn't the platinum hold everything up?

I am considering this one,
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3256274.htm Expert Selection

But still battling on the size. Will definitely be a J, the K looks to tinted and I is to expensive :) J seems to be solid for me!

I missed out on this one, which had a really great price! Might wait for something similar to show up again.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3866514.htm
AGS104094650002-ASET.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't have time to read all the posts, but I totally agree that 1.5 or so is going to look huge where you live. I would choose I color in AGS graded stones as J can sometimes show a tint and returning to exchange would be a major pain. So these would be my recommendation. I think the Premium select stone looks great and I would have no problem buying it. And yes, platinum is always the best choice for a white metal setting, in my opinion.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3855518.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-1466947.htm

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do really think you should try and get a few hints from your girlfriend first though. Again, I am making assumptions here, as I've only been to Sweden once (beautiful country BTW :) ), but if the women there are anything like the women in Norway, most would feel self-conscious wearing a 2+ carat stone (or anything close to that really). Since your girlfriend is the one that is going to be wearing it every day for the rest of her life, I think she would appreciate it if you took her feelings into account. You already said that your ego is playing a role in your desire to get close to 2 carat. Better to let her feelings, rather than your ego, guide you in this case.

For example, here's what the 1.543 I VS2 posted above by @diamondseeker2006 would look like compared to a 0.5 carat, which I would say is on the upper end of average here in Scandinavia. I don't know your girlfriend's ring size, so I just used the average western size of US 6 (52 EU).
screenshot.png

Pretty huge difference, don't you think? 1.5ish would already be plenty large in this situation. Again this is my own opinion formed by personal observation here in Norway (and I am American, so I've gotten a sample from both countries :) ). However, while I've seen some diamonds that were probably around 1 carat on people in their 20s-30s, I can honestly say that I haven't seen a diamond much beyond 1 carat here. And I live in the capital, which has plenty of affluent people and probably 1 Tesla Model S per 3 residents. :mrgreen:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, so let’s begin with the fact, that in the European country where I live engagement rings are still not common, and if someone gets one, it’s maybe up to 0.5 carat. I’m also convinced, that engagement rings are still absolutely not as important and common in any European countries, than in USA, maybe except Great Britain.

So I live in this country and I own a 2.86 ct. OEC diamond, and I tell you no one cares. I’ve got in the last 1,5 years only two compliments, and nothing else, no negative comments. People here in Europe do not really care for engagement rings, because it’s still not common, and if someone wears a big stone, they assume it’s CZ, I mean fake.

So what I want to tell you is, buy what you think is appropriate, and don’t care what people in your circle of acquaintances are going to think.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Skip to 4:40 on the below video and you'll see the different between 1.5 vs 2.0 on a size 6 finger to approximate how it'll look.

And Yes, to the question whether you'll notice a difference between 1.7 vs 2.0 ct.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 1.7 carat diamond (7.7mm) for 3 years before I started my upgrade journey. When I received it, it looked enormous, but literally overnight it shrunk to my eyes and I could see myself going bigger one day.

When first looking to upgrade, I tried on 2ct, 2.5ct and 3ct, and the 2ct wasn't that much bigger (of course I felt pressured in jewelry stores and had little time to truly compare).

you don't mention your budget, so I'm going to suggest a few diamonds. What I'd personally do in your sitch is go somewhere in the middle. 1.8-1.9, to avoid the 2ct premium.

1.923 I/SI1 (you'd have to ask if eye-clean): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3969522.htm

(note: I have a 2.937 and I got that sweet-spot size without the 3ct pricetag)

There are other options as well (just nothing in a J. I have an "I" ACA and love it - not yellow at all)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...97562,3969523,3838493,3838493,3971985,3965477

What is your budget?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
photo_1_110.jpg

(my wife's 1.7ct on a size 6 finger)

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 1.7 carat diamond (7.7mm) for 3 years before I started my upgrade journey. When I received it, it looked enormous, but literally overnight it shrunk to my eyes and I could see myself going bigger one day.

DSS = Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome. haha

It also depends on the cut of the diamond as well. A very well cut shallower 2ct can look much bigger compared to a deeper cut 2ct.

Staying just under 2ct premium while aiming at shallower cut (60-61.5% depth with girdle < 3.5) will definitely make it look over 2ct.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you don't mention your budget, so I'm going to suggest a few diamonds. What I'd personally do in your sitch is go somewhere in the middle. 1.8-1.9, to avoid the 2ct premium.

I would echo @HappyNewLife in trying to hit the "sweet spot". Too many jokers try to hit the 1ct, 1.5ct or 2ct and sacrifice quality in the process so Joe Blow's ego will feel good that he bought his girl a certain size.

Also, since you are struggling with color a bit, maybe some florescence is advisable. It can brighten a stone that is well cut without looking "blue". More info here (be sure to check out the YouTube video):

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavins-blue-diamonds-with-fluorescence/

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
The first diamond he was considering had "very strong blue" florescence so it doesn't seem he's afraid of that.

Belic - I do believe you're definitely on the right path to choose a better cut over a poorly cut bigger diamond under your budget. The cut makes all the difference in the diamond world.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first diamond he was considering had "very strong blue" florescence so it doesn't seem he's afraid of that.

Belic - I do believe you're definitely on the right path to choose a better cut over a poorly cut bigger diamond under your budget. The cut makes all the difference in the diamond world.

Thanks @blueMA, I didn't see the very strong flour before.

And you are absolutely spot on -- a well cut diamond will oohhh and ahhhh more people than (IMO) a larger stone.

It's a pretty safe assumption that you likely won't be putting a 1.7 next to a 2 carat in real life, for the sake of comparison. Nor will anyone break out a measuring stick to confirm millimeters. And probably no one will ask for the certs. :lol:

In real life, I think people will be, "wow, that is gorgeous and large -- what size?". You can respond how you wish, but if 2 carats is your thing you could say it is just under the 2 carat mark. It gives people a frame of reference to compare to (even though most people have zero idea how big a 2 carat diamond actually is -- but it's a "whole" number).

More importantly, if it is well cut and shines your lady will be the star of the show and the other girls may not want to put their non-super ideal diamonds on stage with hers. ;)2

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No comment on the diamond, but on the setting- will she be wearing a wedding band with it? Three sided pave will eat into anything she wears next to it. And even if she wears a spacer band, I would worry about the metal holding the diamonds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skip to 4:40 on the below video and you'll see the different between 1.5 vs 2.0 on a size 6 finger to approximate how it'll look.

And Yes, to the question whether you'll notice a difference between 1.7 vs 2.0 ct.

This.

Blue posted a great example, there is a considerable difference between the weights you mention and although even the smaller size is going to be huge compared to the average in your country, it depends what you think you and your intended will prefer for size.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 She will wear it all the time. Doesn't the platinum hold everything up
Well yes it would except once you punch little holes on three sides of it to put the diamonds in, it won’t be as sturdy as when it was one solid piece. Three-sided pave is not usually recommended for everyday wear especially if the band it’s set into is thin because there just isn’t much metal there when it’s all said and done.

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Truly greatfull for all the answers!! You are awesome!

I will hopefully find something in WF inventory shortly! Becca is looking for new stones everyday :) I’m set on J & VS2, seems to be the most bang for the buck.

No comment on the diamond, but on the setting- will she be wearing a wedding band with it? Three sided pave will eat into anything she wears next to it. And even if she wears a spacer band, I would worry about the metal holding the diamonds.

Well yes it would except once you punch little holes on three sides of it to put the diamonds in, it won’t be as sturdy as when it was one solid piece. Three-sided pave is not usually recommended for everyday wear especially if the band it’s set into is thin because there just isn’t much metal there when it’s all said and done.

Hmm, we are both under 30 and quite active so the setting needs to be durable. However she really wants pave in 2-3 rows.

Do you think the knife edge pave or Tiffany pave would be more durable?

Another option might be to go with 1 row and bigger diamonds, I have seen that she saved a similar one in her instagram account :cool2:

Is there any risk by having diamonds on the prongs? Less or smaller risk than the 3 row pave?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly greatfull for all the answers!! You are awesome!

I will hopefully find something in WF inventory shortly! Becca is looking for new stones everyday :) I’m set on J & VS2, seems to be the most bang for the buck.

Hmm, we are both under 30 and quite active so the setting needs to be durable. However she really wants pave in 2-3 rows.

Another option might be to go with 1 row and bigger diamonds, I have seen that she saved a similar one in her instagram account :cool2:

Is there any risk by having diamonds on the prongs? Less or smaller risk than the 3 row pave?
If it were me, I would do one row of 2mm. Unless of course she doesn't want to wear a wedding band with it and just have one ring (which some women do)- then do the three rows.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, there is a big difference between 1.7 and 2. But not as big of a difference between 0.5 and 1.7.

Hi!

A couple of weeks ago I was pretty much set on this diamond,
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R221-1Z01Z1232
But after checking with you guys I decided to look for a better cut diamond and go down a bit in size.

So obviously started to look at the super ideal vendors and decided I wanted to go with Whiteflash. Currently there is nothing in stock that feels 100% but I'm in no rush at the moment.

I'm starting to considering going below 2ct, but the question is, will I notice, once set, a "big" difference between lets say 1.7ct vs 2ct? It's not a question regarding cut vs size by now, it's more if I should wait a bit more or hit a 1.7-1.8 now and save a couple of 1000 dollars(which would be really nice). The most common size in Sweden is 0.2ct-0.5ct so it will be huge either way. Her finger size is 5.75.

"Her only wish is that i propose to her" but after some sneaking she would really appreciate a big diamond. What big is, is however another question, she hasn't tried out any stones :)

Bonus question,
Custom platinum setting from WF
3 rows pavé "ACA Melee" similar to this
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhL6u18hM6L/

6 prongs elegant style with diamonds on the prongs similar to this
http://media.tiffany.com/is/image/T...G_OVIEW_m.jpg?defaultImage=NoImageAvailable&&

Anything to think about in the above?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Knife edge pave would be more durable - it's two rows set into the peak of the knife edge so there would be more metal under it. I'm not sure what Tiffany pave is but pave is pave - it's lots of small holes for the stones to sit down into.

Diamonds on the prongs would possibly be a rubbing/chipping risk against whatever you pair for a wedding band if the prongs can touch it and also risk of loss since those will be teeny diamonds with teeny tiny prongs holding them in. If you did 3-sided pave on your prongs then you're basically weakening the things that hold your centre diamond in. Which.. I wouldn't do personally but it's up to you to find a balance of how sparkly and therefore delicate you want the setting to be against how much of a hassle/upset it would be to lose the diamond, break the ring or always have it being serviced if it goes out of round or loses melee.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pave rings must be treated with TLC. They should be taken off when doing housework, cooking, yardwork, working out, etc. Only one row is advisable if she wants to wear a wedding band with it. I'd never do 3 row due to durability issues, plus I think simple and elegant is more appealing to me than being blinged out.

I am sorry if I missed this, but what size is her finger? That would influence what size I really recommend. I just think your ego in wanting 2 cts may not be the best choice for her. I wear a 2 ct diamond most of the time around friends that wear around 1 ct diamonds. If my friends had half carat diamonds, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing the one I have. Unless she has specifically asked for 2 cts, I wouldn't do it. 1.5 cts is huge compared to .3-.5 ct diamonds.

I am going to add that people will notice color, and I'd rather have a 1.5 I over a 1.9 J.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal recommendation would be a 1.3 F/VS1 or VS2, HPD CBI or WF ACA.
Here you will be getting performance and fire over size. 1.3 is plenty big when the average is .2 to .5 in Sweeden.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't think guessing is a good idea in this situation. Even a 1.7 is much larger than the average size there. That's not always a comfortable situation and if you were my client I'd give you this same advice: ask her what her comfort zone is in general. If you get something she isn't comfortable wearing, it will sit in a box after 6 months, no matter how lovely.

If you really want to guess, I'd stick to the 1.5 carat and under range at most and she can upgrade it later if its something she wants.

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My personal recommendation would be a 1.3 F/VS1 or VS2, HPD CBI or WF ACA.
Here you will be getting performance and fire over size. 1.3 is plenty big when the average is .2 to .5 in Sweeden.

Excellent advice and echos my previous recommendation. Honestly OP, you really don't want to go much above double the carat weight of the average diamond in whatever location you're living in. This is especially true in Scandinavia, where people put a large emphasis on blending in). 1.3-1.4 would still be plenty big and would save you the 1.5 carat premium, thus allowing you to get a higher color (which is also important in Scandinavia).

The nice thing about purchasing from one of the SuperIdeal vendors on this site like HPD or WF, beyond their excellent customer service teams and beautiful diamonds, are their upgrade policies. You just need to spend 1 dollar more in the upgrade with no restrictions on increasing the size/clarity/etc.. So even if the OP was to purchase a 1.7-2.0 carat J now and his fiancee didn't like the size and/or color, they could always upgrade to a higher color, smaller stone (say, a 1.3 F) without any hassle. The only hassle may be getting the trade-in back to the U.S. due to customs. OP, do you go back to the U.S. frequently, and would trading in be an issue if your girlfriend didn't like the diamond?

As for the setting, I also agree that a single row of larger pave would be the way to go if this will be a daily driver, especially if you and your girlfriend are active. From WF, this would be my recommendation:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...yle-bead-set-diamond-engagement-ring-1006.htm

The recessed bead-set pave would be secure and you wouldn't risk knocking out a stone or two with each accidental blow the way you would with more exposed pave rings.

I'm also a big fan of the Legato sleek-line, but it has a 4-prong head (you wanted a 6-prong head right?):
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...eek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

You could always ask if they could put a 6-prong head on it. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results