shape
carat
color
clarity

1.76 what is wrong it?

DBX

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

1st time poster so hope I am not asking anything out of order or in the wrong forum.

Been searching for a while and have seen quite a few stones in hand. Am now considering one, at a pretty decent price might I add, that will need to be flown in for a viewing but am running short on time.

It is a GIA triple excellent H S1 1.76 round, 7.83 - 7.85 x 4.74, with faint fluorescence.

screen_shot_2016-12-29_at_12_0.jpg

HCA comes back as a 1.4

screen_shot_2016-12-29_at_12_1.jpg

Seems in order, only two miniscule crystals so why the SI1? Is it a cloud that's going to 'ruin' this stone?

PS has taught me to look for the special S1's that are very clean but this is giving me a bit of 'too good to be true' nerves.

screen_shot_2016-12-29_at_12.jpg

I know the stone needs to be seen to have any sort of answers and I've aksed for ASET and video if it cant be flown in. Vendor has to check with the boss and the supplier first which is going to eat into my precious "time left" budget.

My concerns are two fold and I'd like to ask if they are valid.

1 - the report is a good 1 1/2 year old. Everything else I've seen is 2 to 3 months.
2 - "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown." is this the reason why?

Appreciate your kind insights as this first time buyer is getting a bit lost to be honest.

Many thanks,

Aaron

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DBX|1482957833|4110099 said:
Seems in order, only two miniscule crystals so why the SI1? Is it a cloud that's going to 'ruin' this stone?
2 - "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown." is this the reason why?

As the note says, "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown."
Those clouds may cause it to lack brilliance or look foggy.
It may not be eye-clean.
That may be why it has not sold.

You won't know till it comes in, and even then you are at the mercy of the vendor's honesty.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello, New Poster, and welcome to Pricescope!

My understanding is that "Grading is based on clouds not shown" in the comments section of a GIA cert is an indication that there is enough cloudiness to obstruct light and therefore give the stone the SI1 rating. So, in other words, that crystal is not the reason why the stone has an SI1 rating, it's the clouds.

I'm not in the trade, so I hope that one of the experts will chime in here and explain what this means to you in terms of this stone. Perhaps the excellent HSA score compensates for the cloudiness, but again, an expert would be the one to tell you that.

Good luck!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1482960541|4110123 said:
DBX|1482957833|4110099 said:

As the note says, "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown."
Those clouds may cause it to lack brilliance or look foggy.
It may not be eye-clean.
That may be why it has not sold.

You won't know till it comes in, and even then you are at the mercy of the vendor's honesty.

Yup agree with Kenny. I would not buy this for that reason. It could be ok to your eyes. But then I would take it to an independent appraiser for a second opinion. There are lots of different types of inclusions. Clouds is one I would not accept. Even if it was eye clean it wouldn't be mind clean to me. Everyone is different.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any pictures of the stone just out of curiosity?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blingalingaling|1482961049|4110129 said:
Hello, New Poster, and welcome to Pricescope!

My understanding is that "Grading is based on clouds not shown" in the comments section of a GIA cert is an indication that there is enough cloudiness to obstruct light and therefore give the stone the SI1 rating. So, in other words, that crystal is not the reason why the stone has an SI1 rating, it's the clouds.

I'm not in the trade, so I hope that one of the experts will chime in here and explain what this means to you in terms of this stone. Perhaps the excellent HSA score compensates for the cloudiness, but again, an expert would be the one to tell you that.

Good luck!
As so often happens, it is not necessary for a trades person to chime in, as knowledgeable forum members have already identified the issues!

If clouds or other light blocking/scattering inclusions are present in the diamond to a sufficient degree, transparency can be affected. As a member of the trade I cannot criticize or recommend a diamond, but I can say in general that a comment of "Clarity grade is based on clouds" in an Si clarity can be an indication of diminished transparency.

While this is normally a subtle effect, for shoppers putting emphasis on diamonds of high cut quality, it is something like taking a step forward and a step back.

DBX

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very kindly for your valuable insights and feedback. Truly appreciated!

I've asked for the images and ASET and will share them in the hopes someone else may stumble upon this thread and learn as much from it as I have.

Will revert once received.

For now the quest continues....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All!
In my experience, GIA graded SI1 stones with transparency issues are super rare.
But far more common are situations where a stone seems to be really cheap- and the seller offering the stone does not have it in their possession.....in many cases the stone is not actually available at the price.
Of course we don't know who the seller is- so this comment is not aimed at anyone specific.
But if you read PS enough, you see many cases of the cheapest stone on the list not being there when it's ordered.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my experience it is not that uncommon. As I say, it is often a subtle effect. Viewing such a diamond on its own you might not detect it. You really need a comparison stone that is close in size, color, and cut quality, and without any transparency issue - e.g. VS1. Side by side you can visually see that the VS1 is 'crisp' and the test stone is slightly sleepy. You can also detect differences in transparency by viewing in strong side lighting.

In my opinion, buyers tend to put a little too much emphasis on finding a totally eye-clean Si, and too little emphasis on making sure it has no transparency deficit.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1483046298|4110481 said:
In my experience it is not that uncommon. As I say, it is often a subtle effect. Viewing such a diamond on its own you might not detect it. You really need a comparison stone that is close in size, color, and cut quality, and without any transparency issue - e.g. VS1. Side by side you can visually see that the VS1 is 'crisp' and the test stone is slightly sleepy. You can also detect differences in transparency by viewing in strong side lighting.

In my opinion, buyers tend to put a little too much emphasis on finding a totally eye-clean Si, and too little emphasis on making sure it has no transparency deficit.
This could be attributed to the fact we're looking in different markets- and at different categories of stones more frequently.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1483049890|4110504 said:
Texas Leaguer|1483046298|4110481 said:

This could be attributed to the fact we're looking in different markets- and at different categories of stones more frequently.
Probably so. Also, it is a criterion for our top brand so all in-house diamonds are specifically reviewed for this.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we're on the same page Bryan- when we're inspecting stones for purchase, many SI1 diamonds are rejected....for many reasons.
I don't find a lot with transparency issues, but a fair percentage with imperfections that bother me for one reason or another.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results