shape
carat
color
clarity

~ 1.5ctw diamond studs--whiteflash or leon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everybody, Happy Holidays! Hope everyone is doing well-- it appears the place has managed to survive in my absence....

Sooo... I have decided to get my fiance diamond studs in lieu of a plasma tv for now (the hope being that such an act of chivalry will pay dividends in the form of a bigger tv in the future, so it is not that romantic/altruistic).

I am pretty set on getting the stones from WF... around .65-.75 each, H/SI1 (I''ll wait for a pair of eye clean SI1s).
Do you think ES would be sufficient if I can find AGS0, or should I splurge for the ACAs? Any disagreement with my color/clarity target?

Second question is whether I should have WF do the mounting or if I should go back to Leon. I''m thinking about Leon because ultimately the plan would be to make jackets, and I think I would go to Leon for that. Has anyone had WF do jackets? What do people think about the Plat vs. White gold debate when it comes to earrings?

Thanks so much as always!

Jeff

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Diamond studs over a plasma!!! Your fiance is one lucky gal
1.gif

Okay, first off, I have both ACAs and an ES and both cuts are amazing. With the color/clarity you're looking at, you may be searching a bit longer. That is a popular combo. When I shopped, I ended up getting a higher color ONLY because I couldn't find any H stones that were in the size I wanted (around .41), so keep that in mind. You may have to adjust to a slightly higher or lower color. Just my perspective, though, others will chime in! lol

Regarding the WF v. Leon, I have no idea, BUT with the metal, if price isn't a huge factor, I would go with platinum because it's more durable AND can be worn in a pool or hot tub! My studs are mounted into WG and while on vacation last summer, I had to pick between wearing my earrings in the pool or trusting that they wouldn't be stolen by someone in the hotel. . .at that point, I regretted not getting platinum!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
you are my idol!!! Serioulsy... your cushion is one if my favorite stones on PS!!!

I had my 2 tcw aca''s made in their handmade martini setting and they are awesome! For me I feel they look better and worth the small increase in price compared to their standard martini settings. I went with WG.

however... I will always say that the workmanship Leon can do with pave is superior and thus would want him to make the jackets. I know the WF aca melee gets high reviews... but something about the pave detail of AoP is extra special.

maybe ask leon if he can make nice jackets with preset stones because his martini setting alone is $1000... double WF price.

My WF handmade earrings.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2007 4:30:55 PM
Author:boston_jeff
Hey everybody, Happy Holidays! Hope everyone is doing well-- it appears the place has managed to survive in my absence....

Sooo... I have decided to get my fiance diamond studs in lieu of a plasma tv for now (the hope being that such an act of chivalry will pay dividends in the form of a bigger tv in the future, so it is not that romantic/altruistic).

I am pretty set on getting the stones from WF... around .65-.75 each, H/SI1 (I''ll wait for a pair of eye clean SI1s).
Do you think ES would be sufficient if I can find AGS0, or should I splurge for the ACAs? Any disagreement with my color/clarity target?

Second question is whether I should have WF do the mounting or if I should go back to Leon. I''m thinking about Leon because ultimately the plan would be to make jackets, and I think I would go to Leon for that. Has anyone had WF do jackets? What do people think about the Plat vs. White gold debate when it comes to earrings?

Jeff
Where the hell were you when I was single???
39.gif

I vote Leon...I love the earring jackets I''ve seen by him. I probably would have gone ES if I had found some in the specs that I wanted, but it wasn''t that much more for ACA''s in the size I was looking at. H/SI1 would be great...but don''t shy away from I''s either. I love my J''s, but in bigger stones, I might go no lower than an I (I say this with the full knowledge that I might get pelted by the J lovers here).
9.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
leon! leon! leon! she is probably going to wear those earrings just about as much as she wears that gorgeous ering you gave her.... give her a pair that is as beautifully sculpted and well made as her ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I love Leon's work, there is no way I could justify paying $1000 for martini settings that hardly even show. I'd go with WF's handmade martini settings which are expensive enough. I have .75 each H VS2 ACA's for my studs, and they are gorgeous. But I wouldn't wear jackets with mine because I think it would be too much. I almost wish I had gotten .5 each, because I think that is the perfect size for a jacket. You'll have an easier time finding stones in the .5-.59 range and the .7 range than you will in the .6 range. I passed up one pair of H stones at .65 and have regretted it, because they were a good price for not much size difference. But eventually my perfectly matched .75 each pair came along, and they are beautiful! Alj also has an H pair at .75 each.

As far as ACA versus ES, I think it'll be easier to match 2 ACA's. The ACA's are cut to tight specs, so it is easier to find a perfect match. They are trying to cut stones to be ACA, so it might be harder to come up with 2 matching stones in the ES line, especially in the size you are looking for. At least that was my experience as I looked for several months. I almost settled twice earlier for stones that were not exactly what I wanted, but eventually the perfect match came along. Just be patient and check the site daily and tell your sales rep to keep eyes open, too.

I'd get the WF platinum martinis if you think you'll have Leon make jackets later. I got white gold and am completely happy with them, but I'd want the metal for the studs and jackets to be the same.

Happy holidays to you, too! How about some more pictures of that beautiful cushion?!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2007 6:11:32 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''d get the WF platinum martinis if you think you''ll have Leon make jackets later. I got white gold and am completely happy with them, but I''d want the metal for the studs and jackets to be the same.

Happy holidays to you, too! How about some more pictures of that beautiful cushion?!

Thanks DS! I have no problem going with WF for the martinis if it will not be a problem down the road for Leon to make jackets. But I imagine that he has done jackets for studs he did not make before.

My fiance is pretty small and has small ears, so I want the studs to be substantial but wearable on a daily basis to work, etc. Do you think a .55-.60 would achieve that effect?

Best,

Jeff

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me again how big the ring stone is?

I see it is 2.26 cts., just don't know the dimensions. I'll tell you why in a minute.

Nevermind...I replied anyway!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If her earlobes are small, it might be that .75 each with jackets might be too much. But most of us have a LOT more occasions where we''d only wear the studs alone. So for that reason, I''d probably go ahead and bite the bullet and go for .75 each. That should be as big as she''d need if she has small lobes. And the plain martini''s are very elegant and would work well with her diamond ring.

So my advice is to try for the .75''s, and later she can maybe try on some jackets somewhere before you have some custom made just to get an idea of whether she likes the look, size, etc. Another option is to have drops made to hang down from the studs, and that might even work better for her if her lobes are small.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2007 4:45:03 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 12/7/2007 4:30:55 PM
Author:boston_jeff

Jeff
Where the hell were you when I was single???
39.gif

I vote Leon...I love the earring jackets I''ve seen by him. I probably would have gone ES if I had found some in the specs that I wanted, but it wasn''t that much more for ACA''s in the size I was looking at. H/SI1 would be great...but don''t shy away from I''s either. I love my J''s, but in bigger stones, I might go no lower than an I (I say this with the full knowledge that I might get pelted by the J lovers here).
9.gif
You''re not the only one
11.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Jeff, good to see ya!

My .02. If she's got smaller lobes, how about shooting for the .55-.65 range. Then you could still pair them up with some jackets and it probaby wouldn't be too much. I've got .58's with a diameter of 5.37, with what I'd call medium-ish lobes, and I think they're the perfect size. Just a thought!

As for ACA vs. ES, if it happened that a potential pair included one of each, I wouldn't have a problem getting them. And I ditto you may need to consider I's. Also, I have two different color grades, but can't tell them apart, which you may find yourself looking at too.

p.s. I like you're thinking, and your honesty.
grins-xmas.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Jeff, you've said her ears are small; based on that, I'd not go much above .55s. Mara has really small lobes, too, and my .55 studs looked like .75s on her ears....and that was without jackets! If you were to go with .75s, the jackets would probably be out of the question; they'd never fit her without overwhelming her ears.

I hope Steel doesn't mind me bringing her pics in to this thread, too, but it's a great example for you.

Below are photos of Steel's .33 studs by themselves and with her new WF earring jackets. In her comparison picture, the earring/jacket combo looks as big as her 1.04 ct. diamond solitaire ring, and you see how those look compared to one of the .33 earrings by itself.

myearwithlittlestud.jpg
Itscoldoutsidesowrapup.jpg
dryhandsyouwouldthinkineverheardofhandcream.jpg

.75s with jackets would just be too overwhelming for her ears. My .75 halo pendant measures nearly 9mm; by comparison, my friend's 2.4 ct. stone measures 8.7mm!!!

If you do go with .75 studs, I'd consider doing detachable drops that hang from the studs as DS suggested instead of jackets.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Jeff,
Have you cruised through the "Show Me Your Diamond Studs!" thread? LOTS of great photos of all different sizes on ALL kinds of ears!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have two pairs of .82 ctw studs--because I have two sets of piercings per ear. i've thought of going larger, but I have my eye on those earring jackets. I also have a pair of .50 ctw studs that I could use in my second piercings, if/when
31.gif
I get the jackets. It's nice, I think, to have more than one look. Steel, I just love your earrings
30.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2007 4:43:51 PM
Author: Green with Envy
you are my idol!!! Serioulsy... your cushion is one if my favorite stones on PS!!!

I keep telling you guys that it was only my stone for a few days...
15.gif

Thanks for the advice, Green with Envy. I think that I will let WF do the martinis in platinum. [Your studs look beautiful!!!]

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2007 6:11:32 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
As much as I love Leon's work, there is no way I could justify paying $1000 for martini settings that hardly even show. I'd go with WF's handmade martini settings which are expensive enough. I have .75 each H VS2 ACA's for my studs, and they are gorgeous. But I wouldn't wear jackets with mine because I think it would be too much. I almost wish I had gotten .5 each, because I think that is the perfect size for a jacket. You'll have an easier time finding stones in the .5-.59 range and the .7 range than you will in the .6 range. I passed up one pair of H stones at .65 and have regretted it, because they were a good price for not much size difference. But eventually my perfectly matched .75 each pair came along, and they are beautiful! Alj also has an H pair at .75 each.

As far as ACA versus ES, I think it'll be easier to match 2 ACA's. The ACA's are cut to tight specs, so it is easier to find a perfect match. They are trying to cut stones to be ACA, so it might be harder to come up with 2 matching stones in the ES line, especially in the size you are looking for. At least that was my experience as I looked for several months. I almost settled twice earlier for stones that were not exactly what I wanted, but eventually the perfect match came along. Just be patient and check the site daily and tell your sales rep to keep eyes open, too.

I'd get the WF platinum martinis if you think you'll have Leon make jackets later. I got white gold and am completely happy with them, but I'd want the metal for the studs and jackets to be the same.

That's really helpful, thanks. I guess I need to decide if the jackets is really what she'd want, or if she'd rather larger everyday studs with drops or something else.

I'm hoping to get a chance to do a "photo shoot" over the holidays. Hopefully my fiance has not gone all Gollum by then.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ellen and aljdewey. You both are always so helpful.

I guess I really should change the question of this thread to:

.50-.60s with jackets, or .70-.75s without jackets with the possibility of drops in the future? Discuss.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh Jeffff....Dude, I'd so go back to Mark T. and get some luscious cushion studs for your FI! Have Leon do his thing and viola! An engagement set, if you will...I understand why some think it's crazy to spend more on a Leon setting for earrings but honestly Jeff? You KNOW how mesmerizing Leon's prong work is...To me, it's worth the extra coin for prong perfection...Oh, and I'd go for the drop option. Think about it...drop diamond pears, sapphires, or many other options...all a la Leon! You'll be golden for years to come!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, drops over jackets, and get larger rounds. Whatever you buy get a good tradeup policy. My conservative wife has been wanting to trade mid 60s ideals to 90s+ for a while now, DSS the ladies here call it. The difference would buy a really nice plasma TV though
2.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i love the idea of drops over jackets, personally.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2007 11:39:42 PM
Author: boston_jeff
Thanks Ellen and aljdewey. You both are always so helpful.

I guess I really should change the question of this thread to:

.50-.60s with jackets, or .70-.75s without jackets with the possibility of drops in the future? Discuss.
This would get my vote, if you changed possiblity to probability.
grins-xmas.gif
2.gif

As for WF vs. Leon, on these, I''d do WF. I''m one of those that just can''t see spending the money. /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/27.gif[/img]

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for .7-.75s with the possibility for drops later! I prefer drops to jackets for sure. Jackets are nice but I love a little bit of a dangly earring for dressier times.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2007 12:23:47 PM
Author: thing2of2
Another vote for .7-.75s with the possibility for drops later! I prefer drops to jackets for sure. Jackets are nice but I love a little bit of a dangly earring for dressier times.
Now that''s a fine idea!! I have a pair of drops and just love them. I''m with you on this one
36.gif

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
maybe not YOUR cushion... but hopefully you get to look at it every day for the rest of your life! lucky duck! we need hand shots and more pics for sure!!!

I also vote for bigger studs and then have custom dangle jackets made later... not pave rounds.

I love Leon work... but in terms of prongs on studs... I do not think it is worth DOUBLE the price for just studs. The WF handmade thin martinis are perfect in my eyes and I prefer them over their standard martinis. Mine are 1.2 ct each and VERY comfortable. Thanks for compliments. See setting difference here...

Standard WF martinis...

WF 3 prong standard studs.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
The ones I got...Wf handmade thinner martini settings...

WF handmade thin martini.jpg

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
aca in platinum mounting a carat size x two. i think if you have the cash flow to go this size to begin with there is less spent in the long run. i have not seen a lobe small enough that i thought couldn''t accomodate that size. just my personal opinion of what i wish i had done. what ever you choose will be nice. good luck!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2007 1:45:14 PM
maybe not YOUR cushion... but hopefully you get to look at it every day for the rest of your life! lucky duck! we need hand shots and more pics for sure!!!

I also vote for bigger studs and then have custom dangle jackets made later... not pave rounds.

I love Leon work... but in terms of prongs on studs... I do not think it is worth DOUBLE the price for just studs. The WF handmade thin martinis are perfect in my eyes and I prefer them over their standard martinis. Mine are 1.2 ct each and VERY comfortable. Thanks for compliments. See setting difference here...

Standard WF martinis...

i think you have a very nice size. are there earlobe pics here?

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone post any pictures of the studs + drops? Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

W2W

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/9/2007 1:46:45 PM
The ones I got...Wf handmade thinner martini settings...
30.gif

sorry to hijack but green with envy, do you have any ear shots? i have 2.45 ctw reserved right now with wf and i am trying to decide on the setting. i have the standard martini in my current 1.5ctw but had them set extra low b/c i don''t want the setting to show. much appreciation!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results