shape
carat
color
clarity

1.55 Cushion Ring Received - not as Expected, I think?

pktkid10

Rough_Rock
Hi all - I purchased a ring some time back from a reputable online dealer. Perhaps I'm being too much of a critic here, but it really didn't give me the 'wow factor'. I've seen lower 'quality' diamonds in person before that sparkled better/had a better reaction to light.

The specs:
1.55 carats
G color
VS2
Depth: 66.1%
Table: 57%
L/W/D: 7.00*6.97*4.61

I can't help but wonder if I'm being irrational. This picture may not be the best quality, but I'm curious to hear if folks would be pleased/displeased with this purchase. For the amount I spent I can't help but wonder. Pictures are attached.

_34825.jpg

606647aset.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there. A few questions for you:

Are you comparing the diamond you just bought to diamonds you saw in a brick and mortar store? I'm sure you've heard that the lighting in a jewelry store is going to make the diamonds look amazing and sparkly. It's when you take the diamond out of the jewelry store that you'll see it's true sparkle and personality. You need to look at your diamond in all different kinds of lighting and environments. Outside, inside, in the evening, at a restaurant, different rooms in your house, etc. The diamond will look a little different in different environments and lighting. If you haven't already, take it around and examine it and see how you feel. Take it into one of the stores you saw a lower quality diamond and compare it there. You can only make a fair comparison in the same lighting....ie, if you think a diamond in a store looks better, take yours into the store and compare so that you view them both in the same lighting. I'm guessing yours will look better or at least equal.

Are you the guy or the girl (receiving the ring)? What does she (or you if you're the girl :)) think of the ring?

Are you within your return period? If so, after you've examined it in different lighting, compared it in the jewelry store, etc. if you're still not pleased with it, then return it! Get something that makes you swoon and that sparkles like crazy.

Also, from photos it is near impossible for anyone to tell if the diamond is sparkly and awesome (especially just one photo). Really, to see if a diamond is all that you would like it to be, you should live with it for a week or so and view it in different environments. I don't think you'll get anyone saying that you bought a dud from your photo as it's just too hard to tell. What matters is how you feel though.

Lastly, you may get some more input if you have the moderators move this thread to Rocky Talky.

pktkid10

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1444413811|3936687 said:
Hi there. A few questions for you:

Are you comparing the diamond you just bought to diamonds you saw in a brick and mortar store? I'm sure you've heard that the lighting in a jewelry store is going to make the diamonds look amazing and sparkly. It's when you take the diamond out of the jewelry store that you'll see it's true sparkle and personality. You need to look at your diamond in all different kinds of lighting and environments. Outside, inside, in the evening, at a restaurant, different rooms in your house, etc. The diamond will look a little different in different environments and lighting. If you haven't already, take it around and examine it and see how you feel. Take it into one of the stores you saw a lower quality diamond and compare it there. You can only make a fair comparison in the same lighting....ie, if you think a diamond in a store looks better, take yours into the store and compare so that you view them both in the same lighting. I'm guessing yours will look better or at least equal.

Are you the guy or the girl (receiving the ring)? What does she (or you if you're the girl :)) think of the ring?

Are you within your return period? If so, after you've examined it in different lighting, compared it in the jewelry store, etc. if you're still not pleased with it, then return it! Get something that makes you swoon and that sparkles like crazy.

Also, from photos it is near impossible for anyone to tell if the diamond is sparkly and awesome (especially just one photo). Really, to see if a diamond is all that you would like it to be, you should live with it for a week or so and view it in different environments. I don't think you'll get anyone saying that you bought a dud from your photo as it's just too hard to tell. What matters is how you feel though.

Lastly, you may get some more input if you have the moderators move this thread to Rocky Talky.

JDDN - thanks for your response. Yes, I was comparing to diamonds that I saw at brick & mortar stores. I never realized the lighting component, but I 110% agree you're right.

I will do a further examination this weekend under various settings. It's for my girlfriend, so I have to do so inconspicuously (we live together).

I am within the return period, so should it come down to it I will cross that road. More pictures to follow - I've just had limited available to access the stone and take photographs. Thanks again!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi pktkid10

Firstly - that ASET looks killer, so I'd be surprised if it didn't have fabulous light return.

Which makes me ask...

Is there any chance it could be dirty? You only need ONE finger print on a diamond to suppress its sparkle - just one! Try cleaning it (detergent, very hot water and a soft toothbrush, then rinse REALLY well in very hot water, then blow dry with a hairdryer on 'high'. You want to blow the water off the stone - if you let it dry on the stone you'll get lime residue marks on the stone). Lastly, polish it with a lint-free cotton cloth, then look at it in ambient lighting. I suspect it will look terrific.

If it's a Brian Gavin cushion, a Good Old Gold modern signature cushion, or one of the signature cushions from Brilliantly Engaged, it should have excellent performance. If it's not a signature cut, then a lot of other variables come into play. I'm sure there's a bunch of other sig cut cushions, but their names escape me at the moment and I'm just mentioning the ones most popular on this site.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Are you comparing your diamond to other cushions, or to round diamonds? Your ASET looks great for a cushion, but rounds tend to have more light return than cushions, and a different pattern of sparkle in general.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was my first thought too are you comparing a cushion to a round brilliant by any chance because the have a different cut pattern they have a different fire pattern. The next thing I thought of was do you like crushed ice cushions? These are not as well cut as the one you currently have but some people prefer them because they have what is like hundreds of tiny disco balls reflecting back to your eye as the pattern of white light/fire that your eye sees so it might well be that you prefer that to what you currently have.

I also agree fancy shop lights make a huge difference too. Did it have fluorescence? That can also make some diamonds appear to have less fire than others.

If you are underwhelmed by it and there is a return period, send it back and see what else you can get.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as cushions go, that is a very nice one. I agree with the others, it is either lighting (most likely) or else you are comparing to ideal cut rounds which you probably know from reading here have the best light return. If she wanted a cushion, then I'd relax and not worry. You have one of the better ones out there.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Take that bad boy out under a big tree on a sunny day and watch the rainbows pop. You'll be happy then! :loopy:
I agree with others, that's a very nice ASET for a cushion.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Can you send a face up shot of the actual diamond?

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
You just haven't found your ring's lighting sweet spot. Mine looks bland in certain lighting, but takes off in the right lighting. You or your girl will find the perfect places in time. Somebody mentioned under a tree, that is a great spot. The green leaves and shady lighting will make it sing! (my stones, for some reason, look their worst when I go in jewelry stores, not sure why, maybe the showcase super lighting to make crappy stones sparkle, is too much for an Ideal cut stone, hmmm), so for sure, don't judge your stone in a B/M.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW, that is a nice aset. Give it a swipe with an alcohol wipe and take it to Home Depot (IN THE BOX), outside on a sunny day, and near a window on a bright sunny day) and see what you think. Even the most well cut stones are not going to sing in EVERY lighting condition.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it should be a beautiful stone! Maybe try a good cleaning and get some photos outdoors as others have suggested. I would love to see more photos too! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results