carat
color
clarity

1.5 ctw 5 stone on size 4.5 finger...

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update...

So I said a 1.5 ctw would be too big (4.5 finger.) I am now waffling:( I spent the entire day getting quotes, going back and forth on settings and metals, and trying to diligently stay within my budget.) I want to make sure I get this right, as this will be my everyday ring. IDJ, BGD, and WF have been very nice and patient with me:) Deciding between 2 options and will make a decision this week....

1.25 ctw WF 18k yellow gold trellis setting 5 stone with ACA melee.

1.5 ctw IDJ 14k shared prong (low set-like Bliss's) with PS quality stones. This ring came at $2000 cheaper than the 1.25 WF one.

WF pros:
Arguably the best cut stones I can buy
That trellis setting is just beautiful and they execute it perfectly

WF cons:
top of my budget and I might regret not going with 1.5 ctw

IDJ pros:
Stones will be hand-picked ideal cuts
I'm saving money AND getting bigger diamonds

IDJ cons:
Not sure about the shared prong setting quality and they don't have a trellis setting.

Commiserate with me, give me advice, or just tell me to pick one and get it over with. :lol:

*To throw another option in, there is a PS member who has a 1.5 ctw Brian Gavin 5 stone in a trellis setting in my size she is willing to sell. I am waiting on her to get back to me.*

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
You and I are on the same journey at the moment, although you have lovely dainty fingers compared to my 7 3/4 ones!!

I'm looking at a 5 stone 2ctw, i've tried on smaller .32ct each, they were too small and bigger .5ct, just was too big.

IDJ have been wonderful, as have the others, they are about the $2000-$2500 cheaper than the others, uncertified but pricescope quality diamonds. They have a U prong setting thats lovely, and it low. Bliss's ring is where I started too, but i'm now stuck, I don't know where to turn!! And then there are the jewellers where I live to throw into the mix as well.

I hadn't seen the Brian Gavin one for sale!! Good luck with it, and let us know what you choose in the end!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You and I are on the same journey at the moment, although you have lovely dainty fingers compared to my 7 3/4 ones!!

I'm looking at a 5 stone 2ctw, i've tried on smaller .32ct each, they were too small and bigger .5ct, just was too big.

IDJ have been wonderful, as have the others, they are about the $2000-$2500 cheaper than the others, uncertified but pricescope quality diamonds. They have a U prong setting thats lovely, and it low. Bliss's ring is where I started too, but i'm now stuck, I don't know where to turn!! And then there are the jewellers where I live to throw into the mix as well.

I hadn't seen the Brian Gavin one for sale!! Good luck with it, and let us know what you choose in the end!

Yay! Commiseration! I would bet that local jewelers would be more? That's how it usually is. Have you gone in to get quotes? I do like the uprong setting too. I'm afraid of whacking the sides, though. The Brian Gavin one wasn't listed for sale. I posted a WTB thread and had a couple of responses. Just waiting for her to follow up:)

Good luck to you too- post a pic when you get yours after you decide!

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
I don't live in the US, so depending on who I went with there isn't much in it when I add import taxes and VAT (23%) onto it!!! I've got a few quotes from local jewellers here. I want this as my everyday ring, so security I the long term is what i'm after, so I'm willing to compromise on the setting to ensure I don't loose a stone, it's happened to me before on another ring.

Will you be wearing it with your engagement ring, or as a RHR? Mine will be worn with mine, so a low setting is a must!!

_29802.jpg _29804.jpg _29805.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't live in the US, so depending on who I went with there isn't much in it when I add import taxes and VAT (23%) onto it!!! I've got a few quotes from local jewellers here. I want this as my everyday ring, so security I the long term is what i'm after, so I'm willing to compromise on the setting to ensure I don't loose a stone, it's happened to me before on another ring.

Will you be wearing it with your engagement ring, or as a RHR? Mine will be worn with mine, so a low setting is a must!!

_29802.jpg _29804.jpg _29805.jpg

I will NOT be wearing it with my engagement ring. I will wear the 5 stone as an everyday ring, and I wear my tiffany lucida and metro with my engagement ring when I go out somewhere.

IMG_2864.jpg

sugagrl

Rough_Rock
Hi Soxfan. I’m new to PS but have been stalking this site for years. We are on the same journey to find the perfect 5 stone ring. I have the same ring size as you and am looking at the same rings. I got a quote from IDJ and I’m now talking to WF. It seems like you got a way lower quote from IDJ. Can you let me know what they quoted you? I have the same concerns as you...budget, craftsmanship, diamond size, style. Such a hard decision....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Soxfan. I’m new to PS but have been stalking this site for years. We are on the same journey to find the perfect 5 stone ring. I have the same ring size as you and am looking at the same rings. I got a quote from IDJ and I’m now talking to WF. It seems like you got a way lower quote from IDJ. Can you let me know what they quoted you? I have the same concerns as you...budget, craftsmanship, diamond size, style. Such a hard decision....

OMG I meant $200 cheaper! Not $2000!! It was $200 cheaper for a 1.5 ctw 5 stone with IDJ than it was for a 1.25 ct 5 stone with WF. Sorry:(

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.5 for a 4.5 finger sounds just fine to me. Can IDJ make a trellis setting or is that not an option? Can their bench do it? I would probably go for IDJ as long as you're comfortable with the stones they will use. Shared prongs are pretty standard. I am sure you can request that they make the prongs small and fine. They know you're a PSer so they will do their best to make you happy.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.5 for a 4.5 finger sounds just fine to me. Can IDJ make a trellis setting or is that not an option? Can their bench do it? I would probably go for IDJ as long as you're comfortable with the stones they will use. Shared prongs are pretty standard. I am sure you can request that they make the prongs small and fine. They know you're a PSer so they will do their best to make you happy.

I would not have them make the trellis setting. I'd just do the shared prong and specify what I was looking for like Bliss. Ex: making the setting "wrap" around rather than looking bar-like and such, set lower, all of that.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of this IDJ eternity band setting. Does anyone here know what is meant by "pinched in" airline common prong setting? I'm not seeing how it is different. I'd chat them, but no one is available right now and you all are probably just as knowledgeable;-)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd_D9HOHc6M/?taken-by=idjewelry

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of this IDJ eternity band setting. Does anyone here know what is meant by "pinched in" airline common prong setting? I'm not seeing how it is different. I'd chat them, but no one is available right now and you all are probably just as knowledgeable;-)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd_D9HOHc6M/?taken-by=idjewelry

Pinched refers to the prongs in between the round stones - you see how they're close to the middle of each diamond so the ring looks scalloped bc your eyes look at the curvature of each diamond, as opposed to the regular 4 prong orientation in each corner, which gives it a squared off look.

Airline refers to the gaps in the setting when you look from the side, like Tiffany shared prong settings. I chose not to have this so they could set my diamonds as low as possible so my wedding band (from IDJ) is solid platinum from the side.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinched refers to the prongs in between the round stones - you see how they're close to the middle of each diamond so the ring looks scalloped bc your eyes look at the curvature of each diamond, as opposed to the regular 4 prong orientation in each corner, which gives it a squared off look.

Airline refers to the gaps in the setting when you look from the side, like Tiffany shared prong settings. I chose not to have this so they could set my diamonds as low as possible so my wedding band (from IDJ) is solid platinum from the side.

Thank you. So it's kind of the same as an open basket. I really like the pinched in prongs! *Imagines cracking diamond on countertop* :cry2::cry2::cry2:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Headed out to drop off my tiffany band for polishing. Trying on the 1 carat 5 stone again and then I'm making a decision, dammnit. :lol::lol:

Hubby (engineer) has a mm stencil here and I just do NOT think I have the finger real estate for .30 stones, so I am leaning toward the WF trellis in 18k. I have a tiffany metro in 18k too and they could now possibly be worn together. That would be a pretty look!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: @soxfan!

My finger is about the same size - 4.25 this midsummer. If you really wanted them I do think your finger could handle larger stones by setting them higher off the finger: the diamond depth plus any extra height makes the circumference of the "circle" that lining them up them girdle-to-girdle creates larger, and also makes the angle of curvature of the arc of the top of your finger less acute...

I do, however, encourage you to go with the WF trellis, whatever stone size you choose! I know I'm hardly unbiased but I can't recommend WF enough for a curvy wire style setting :mrgreen2: So far they've made me two versions of Butterflies, two Annette U-prongs, and one custom U-prong, and I've been very happy with all of them! To be honest my WF U-prong eternities are more finely finished than my MIL's BGD U-prong eternity (she wanted custom gemstones that BGD happened to have on-hand that would have cost far more to source fresh through WF, so BGD was still the better choice for her project). I think plain metal settings can be some of the most difficult to execute just because there's nothing to distract from any imperfections... WF has proven that they will do a masterful setting and polishing job. The wires will be properly round in cross-section, they'll taper gradually, evenly, and symmetrically from base to prong-tip, and the undersides will be polished to shine. And I know from experience that if you're unhappy WF will do whatever it takes to make you happy - I've never worked with IDJ but many PSers have had very positive experiences with them so it seems like in this regard you're in good hands with either choice ::)

Last edited:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: @soxfan!

My finger is about the same size - 4.25 this midsummer. If you really wanted them I do think your finger could handle larger stones by setting them higher off the finger: the diamond depth plus any extra height makes the circumference of the "circle" that lining them up them girdle-to-girdle creates larger, and also makes the angle of curvature of the arc of the top of your finger less acute...

I do, however, encourage you to go with the WF trellis, whatever stone size you choose! I know I'm hardly unbiased but I can't recommend WF enough for a curvy wire style setting :mrgreen2: So far they've made me two versions of Butterflies, two Annette U-prongs, and one custom U-prong, and I've been very happy with all of them! To be honest my WF U-prong eternities are more finely finished than my MIL's BGD U-prong eternity (she wanted custom gemstones that BGD happened to have on-hand that would have cost far more to source fresh through WF, so BGD was still the better choice for her project). I think plain metal settings can be some of the most difficult to execute just because there's nothing to distract from any imperfections... WF has proven that they will do a masterful setting and polishing job. The wires will be properly round in cross-section, they'll taper gradually, evenly, and symmetrically from base to prong-tip, and the undersides will be polished to shine. And I know from experience that if you're unhappy WF will do whatever it takes to make you happy - I've never worked with IDJ but many PSers have had very positive experiences with them so it seems like in this regard you're in good hands with either choice ::)

Thanks Yssie! I consider you the trellis expert on PS, hands down. I did see a BG trellis and I did not like it as much as the WF. Here is a pic I took at a local jeweler today- this is a 1ctw 5 stone, so smaller than I am looking for. I tried it only just to help me decide on the 1.25. These diamonds were not good and the setting is bleh. Also, it's a 6.5 so way too big on my finger, but it makes me more comfortable with the 1.25 because I think it will be enough bling ESPECIALLY since I am getting ACA's.

IMG_8971.jpg IMG_8972.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...

I've made up my mind. I'm doing a 1.5 ctw from IDJ. I am going to ask for the same setting as Bliss with PS quality F/G SI1 hearts and arrows ideal cuts.

I KNOW how I am and I know I will regret not going bigger.

Thank you everyone for all your help. I'll post pics as soon as I get it!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...

I've made up my mind. I'm doing a 1.5 ctw from IDJ. I am going to ask for the same setting as Bliss with PS quality F/G SI1 hearts and arrows ideal cuts.

Congrats!, IMO, 1.5 ctw is plenty big for your finger size.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lana just sent me a video of the setting. I can't wait. 10 days!!!:love::love::love:

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
OK...

Its great you have your decision made, wish I could say the same :wall:
I can't wait to see the finished product!! The setting Bliss had is fab, so i'm sure you are getting a stunning ring.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its great you have your decision made, wish I could say the same :wall:
I can't wait to see the finished product!! The setting Bliss had is fab, so i'm sure you are getting a stunning ring.

I can't wait either! This was seriously SUCH a hard decision. I'm glad I took my time and looked at all my options, though. If there is anything PS has taught me it is to take my time, prioritize the things that are most important to me, and shop around!

Oh, and of course to go for PS quality or ideal cut stones:) That is the biggest lesson of all.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@soxfan, you got me all obsessed about 5 stone ring and I MAY have impulsively ordered a preowned one off of IG... :whistle: Bad bad influence indeed :twisted2:

Can't wait to see how yours turn out, waiting must be so hard!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results