shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT 1.5 ct OEC heirloom stone in a new engagement ring!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It's a beautiful ring and the history behind it makes it even more special.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful and special ring! Congrats!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is absolutely gorgeous and I love the fact that your old stone is actually from your own family! How cool is that??? The pin was pretty, but the ring is stunning!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a beautiful and special ring!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
beautiful ring!!! love that you know the history and it has so much meaning to you. congratulations on your engagement as well!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I love heirloom rings, they are so so special! You did a great job and it looks perfect on your hand! Congrats!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Christina, pandabee, mrsalvo, yennyfire, stargurl78, alene, Mav01, lknvrb4, distracts: Thank you for the compliments and well wishes!
JaneSmith: I was thinking of a replica ring, just fake, but I honestly don't know that I'll be able to take this off now that it's mine! I don't really want to spend money on another diamond ring, but a bezel set would be a great idea.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Bezel set CZ in argentium silver?

Or just wear your beauty and be careful.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement, beautiful ring and such a lovely story :wavey:

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Monnyjay!

JaneSmith: After wearing it for 3 days, I don't think I'll be able to take it off! It hasn't bothered me at all at work, the setting is really pretty low and I'm going to see my jeweler this weekend who will probably reassure me that it's okay to wear all the time :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring and story are just lovely. Your ring is just really special. My question for you: how did you get the courage up to take the stone out of your Grandma's brooch? I wish I could do things like that, but I feel like I'll be ruining family history and let things stay as they are, even if it means I'll never wear them! :oops: How did you get over that in case you felt the same way?

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1348004997|3270453 said:
Your ring and story are just lovely. Your ring is just really special. My question for you: how did you get the courage up to take the stone out of your Grandma's brooch? I wish I could do things like that, but I feel like I'll be ruining family history and let things stay as they are, even if it means I'll never wear them! :oops: How did you get over that in case you felt the same way?

Thank you! Well the brooch was sitting in a safety deposit box for over a decade, so there's no doubt my Grandma would roll over in her grave if she knew that. She'd much rather it be turned into something that would be worn, especially something as important as an engagement ring. She inherited the stone from her mother and then designed the brooch around it, so she must have dismantled something else originally--I'm sure she wouldn't mind me doing the same. The brooch had 33 other diamonds that I'm going to use for other projects in the future. We used the value of the platinum in the brooch to buy the new platinum for the ring. I'm not a hugely sentimental person, so it's hard for me to relate, but resetting an heirloom stone doesn't seem like it's "ruining family history" to me. I can see why people wouldn't want to sell family heirlooms, but resetting or retooling old pieces doesn't seem bad to me. Thanks again :)

Caza1230

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! It's a beauty!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
congrats on your engagement. what a lucky girl to have such a beautiful piece in the family and you did the stone justice with that setting :)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy goodness! I LOVE that stone (I'm partial to stones cut like that...glittery disco ball goodness!) and your ring is gorgeous. And I also liked the brooch too, but I wouldn't have had any issue dismantling a brooch. :lol:

May it stay in your family for generations to come, and wear it in good health!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, you ring is lovely! Congratulations!!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!! :love:

Brown is local to me also! In fact my mother has been a few times recently because they may be doing a custom project for her! Small world! Can I ask where you go for brunch? I'm always up for a good breakfast!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you guys going to make your own wedding bands at Brown's???? So cool!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
orbaya said:
Beautiful!! :love:

Brown is local to me also! In fact my mother has been a few times recently because they may be doing a custom project for her! Small world! Can I ask where you go for brunch? I'm always up for a good breakfast!

I've heard really good things from a few people about custom work from Brown, and my ring turned out exactly how I wanted. We live in Portland, so we usually do brunch here. Ciaola's is an italian restaurant that does brunch on Sunday mornings only...it's amazing. Bintliff's American Cafe, also in Portland, does a really nice brunch, but it can be a long wait. We also go to Artemesia cafe for a slightly more upscale brunch (very affordable, though) and Becky's Diner for greasy spoon fare. I'd like to try every brunch in Portland at some point, but I get stuck going to my favorite few!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
motownmama said:
Are you guys going to make your own wedding bands at Brown's???? So cool!

It is SO cool, but my band is going to be a custom matching pave platinum band, so it's not eligible for make your own. My fiance just wants a plain YG band, but it'd be weird to only make one, I think!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Laila619, hippi_pixi and Caza1230!
TravelingGal: Thanks, I really love the cut too! I think the brooch was really beautiful, but so much of a certain time and I'm 27 years old and live in jeans and tshirts...I don't have occasion to wear it now even if it were my style, which it's really not. I hope I have a daughter who can enjoy it some day!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results