• No, lower color for carat

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No, spend more for carat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

troJane

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescope,

Not quite traditional, but I've been involved in choosing the diamond for my engagement ring. I've finally decided on
- round brilliant
- excellent cut, Would really love triple-excellent
- G is great, H is Hesitant, based on my ability to notice that warmth
- VS2 is perfectly fine. SI1 might be a possibility
- 7mm, Based on ring size 4.5 on left & 4.75 on right
- wait.. But bigger the better, right? Hehe

Anyways, my boyfriend fell in love with a diamond today. He placed a deposit to hold the stone, but I have that one last chance. Unfortunately, I will be unable to see it myself (thank you, horrible work schedule) before he pays the balance. Hoping to get some feedback from the experts.

Here are the details I copied from the online GIA report lookup

1.32 ROUND BRILLIANT GVS1 triple-excellent
Measurements: 7.06 - 7.10 x 4.36 mm
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 33.5°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

I noticed people mention HCA, and I came up with =1.
I think it's pretty cool that the GIA report was issued on my birthdate.

PS. My first time joining a forum, but I've googled some of my questions and found the best upfront advice here. Thanks in advance!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I selected lower clarity but I think you can do both without a noticeable difference. For clarity even VS 2 (or SI ) is eye clean...so why pay for more?

troJane

Rough_Rock
centralsquare|1312694921|2985726 said:
I selected lower clarity but I think you can do both without a noticeable difference. For clarity even VS 2 (or SI ) is eye clean...so why pay for more?

Actually, he went to the jeweler to possibly purchase a 1.35RB GVS2 3x, that we saw together last weekend. I thought it beautiful but we both weren't quite sure of it. Then saw the VS1 upgrade for $200 more (essentially free). In different lighting, color tray and pronged, he kept choosing the 1.32VS1. That's how he came to his decision.

For the curious, here is the GIA for the original 1.35VS2
Measurements: 7.06 - 7.09 x 4.38 mm. --> no difference from 1.32, haha
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 14.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Pinpoints are not shown.

HCA calculated =4, did I do this right?
Light Return Very Good, Fire Good, Scintillation Good, Spread Very Good

He also saw a 1.51G SI1 3x, and was hesitant if spending an additional $3k (still within his budget to pay all cash) was worth the small visual mm increase in size. Plus, he thought it sparkled less but is encouraging me to go see that diamond in person to confirm what he thought. Sorry, no GIA on that one.

Hmm, how much more carat (specifically mm difference) will I get with $3k more?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Ok - makes sense to go with the VS1 that has a better cut for $200 more! I thought it was all else being equal but seems the VS 2 option isn't as good of a cut, so I'd change my vote.

troJane

Rough_Rock
centralsquare|1312699105|2985752 said:
Ok - makes sense to go with the VS1 that has a better cut for $200 more! I thought it was all else being equal but seems the VS 2 option isn't as good of a cut, so I'd change my vote.

How about spending the allotted budget and going bigger? Worth spending the $3k for a subtle change to 1.5ct??

This forum is so helpful, discovered HCA today!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like it is an establishment local to you and your boyfriend -- wouldn't the store's return policy period provide an opportunity for you to view the stone? Your boyfriend could purchase the 1.32 RB GVSI, and you could take a few days to look at it and inspect it in different lights. You could even take it in and compare it to the larger stone you mentioned. Just a thought.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
troJane|1312699783|2985754 said:

How about spending the allotted budget and going bigger? Worth spending the $3k for a subtle change to 1.5ct??

Hard to say without seeing stats on a proposed 1.5 stone. Giving a bit in color/clarity may help but again, I would definitely want the best in cut!

I do like the numbers on the 1.32 though - G is a good color and VS1 definitely gives you mind clean.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
troJane|1312699783|2985754 said:

We would have to see the numbers to know if it's worth 3k...do you have them?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The G VS1 looks great and is a better cut than the GVs2. In addition, the GVS2 was more of a "60/60" type cut which will have a different visual appearance than a more traditional Tolk style cut, which is what the VS1 is. So your BF clearly prefers the look of a traditional tolf cut, something to remember if you look at other stones. Your jeweler should have told you about this 8)

Second, I don' think 3k more will get you over the 1.5ct mark with a great cut. The price of diamonds increases almost exponentially at the 1.5ct mark, similar to the 1ct mark. AND you would not notice a difference when set. So there is no reason to spend the money really.

Finally, you can see the stone before buying -- you tell the vendor that the sale is contingent on either finding a way to see it in person yourself. Or you take advatage of the return period, which they should have in writing and it should be at least 7-10 days to allow you to adequately assess the diamond and you decision.

troJane

Rough_Rock
They say it will be difficult comparing (& become quite sentimental) once it's in the ring. Just a hunch, but I think the setting is being made right now, and the bf is itching to make that e-ring. Unfortunately, I'm unable to stop by the next 3 weeks. Not complaing, but my schedule is working 12 hours sat-thurs, girlfriend getaway fri-sun, back to work mon-fri, then out of town for a week!!

marymm|1312728876|2985839 said:
It sounds like it is an establishment local to you and your boyfriend -- wouldn't the store's return policy period provide an opportunity for you to view the stone? Your boyfriend could purchase the 1.32 RB GVSI, and you could take a few days to look at it and inspect it in different lights. You could even take it in and compare it to the larger stone you mentioned. Just a thought.
They are being accomodating in really encouraging me to come by and compare to the other stones my bf expressed interest in. The problem would be me (and my crazy schedule) not being able to meet boyfriend (and his mental deadline). Then the whole question of once its given to me, I would want to keep it

MissGotRocks|1312729783|2985844 said:
Hard to say without seeing stats on a proposed 1.5 stone. Giving a bit in color/clarity may help but again, I would definitely want the best in cut!

I do like the numbers on the 1.32 though - G is a good color and VS1 definitely gives you mind clean.

centralsquare|1312731349|2985855 said:
We would have to see the numbers to know if it's worth 3k...do you have them?
The 1.51 is G SI1, visually clean, and GIA graded as Excellent cut/ polish/ symmetry . I don't know the GIA report#, so no HCA =(

Dreamer_D|1312732076|2985860 said:
The G VS1 looks great and is a better cut than the GVs2. In addition, the GVS2 was more of a "60/60" type cut which will have a different visual appearance than a more traditional Tolk style cut, which is what the VS1 is. So your BF clearly prefers the look of a traditional tolf cut, something to remember if you look at other stones. Your jeweler should have told you about this 8)

Second, I don' think 3k more will get you over the 1.5ct mark with a great cut. The price of diamonds increases almost exponentially at the 1.5ct mark, similar to the 1ct mark. AND you would not notice a difference when set. So there is no reason to spend the money really.

Finally, you can see the stone before buying -- you tell the vendor that the sale is contingent on either finding a way to see it in person yourself. Or you take advatage of the return period, which they should have in writing and it should be at least 7-10 days to allow you to adequately assess the diamond and you decision.
I do recall something about 60/60 vs Tolkowsky, but i was just so busy Oohing and Aahing at the sparkly rocks. whoops. Thanks for the explanation, & your advice. I will use to narrow down diamonds on my future bling(s). I remember skimming over the return & satisfaction policy, and it sounds very similar to your 7-10 days

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I def wouldn't spend 3,000 more to go from 1.32 to 1.5. Also I wouldn't buy the 1.35 stone that scored a 4.0 on the HCA. I think the stone you found is a winner!

troJane

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1312736868|2985893 said:
I def wouldn't spend 3,000 more to go from 1.32 to 1.5. Also I wouldn't buy the 1.35 stone that scored a 4.0 on the HCA. I think the stone you found is a winner!

Thank you,
Even without seeing this diamond loose, I am feeling very confident with everyone's feedback.

troJane

Rough_Rock
got a photo of (L to R) 1.35GVS2, 1.32GVS1, 1.52GSI1

sorry for the bad cameraphone shot.. the diamonds aren't even facing up & there's a huge shadow

photo2.JPG

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to see anything meaningful at this distance.

troJane

Rough_Rock
centralsquare|1313019558|2988172 said:
It's hard to see anything meaningful at this distance.

yea, sorry~ it was the only one bf took for size comparison

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
They're all pretty similar in size...maybe a the 1.5 is noticeably larger, maybe not. But they're all great stones.

troJane

Rough_Rock
centralsquare|1313029284|2988278 said:
They're all pretty similar in size...maybe a the 1.5 is noticeably larger, maybe not. But they're all great stones.

thanks,
honestly it's really going from ~7.05-7.1mm to 7.3-7.4mm, Huh?? i gave him the green light couple days ago. i'll post a followup detailed diamond & ring photo once i get my proposal. hehe

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
troJane|1313073276|2988531 said:
centralsquare|1313029284|2988278 said:

thanks,
honestly it's really going from ~7.05-7.1mm to 7.3-7.4mm, Huh?? i gave him the green light couple days ago. i'll post a followup detailed diamond & ring photo once i get my proposal. hehe

can't wait!! it'll be beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results