shape
carat
color
clarity

1.25 vs. 1.50

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am in the market for an engagement ring. I have picked my jeweler and have narrowed it down to a 1.27 and a 1.48. Both are F, VS1, and round. Price differene is a grand. What I am more curious/concerned about is how it will look on her. She's 5'4'', 100lbs., petite. I don't want anything too "gaudy." Both look similar, but the 1.48 definitely has a little more "wow" factor. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Best,
Jay

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these GIA graded? Can you please either link the grading reports for us or else list table, depth, crown angle, pavilion angle, and diameter? We can tell you which one is likely better cut which would greatly help in making this decision.

Both of those are a nice size and shouldn't be seen as gaudy unless you live in an area where most people wear a half carat or less!

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Correction: The one diamond is a 1.23 carat. Yes, both are GIA certified. Diameter of the 1.23 is 6.9, the 1.48 is 7.3. We live in Southern California. Here is a pic of the dimonds side by side. Can you tell the difference? ;-)

1_444.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, I can tell the difference. If the cut was equal, I'd say to go ahead and get the 1.48. Finding stones just under 1.5 is relatively rare. But cut is the greatest factor determining the beauty of the diamond. Are both of these GIA Excellent cut? If so, what are the table, depth, crown and pavilion angles?

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Not sure on those questions. I'm an amatuer, but it looked like the "cut" was super clean. I know the diemensions are just below what a 1.5 carat would be. I just don't want it to be too big. The ring is going to be encrusted all over as well.

He did mention like you did that this size is rare. Not sure if that really matters for someone like me.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jay518|1459219352|4012369 said:
Not sure on those questions. I'm an amatuer, but it looked like the "cut" was super clean. I know the diemensions are just below what a 1.5 carat would be. I just don't want it to be too big. The ring is going to be encrusted all over as well.

He did mention like you did that this size is rare. Not sure if that really matters for someone like me.
I would take the 1.48 as well for 1k more, but only if the cut of the 2 stones are comparable. A simple solitaire with a 1.48 definitely will not look "gaudy" or "too big", but I'm not sure what you mean by "encrusted all over". Do you have a photo of the setting you have in mind? Does your future-fiance prefer an "encrusted" setting?

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Yes. Here is a picture of the ring. image_53.png

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I would do the 1.48 too. I am similar size to your gf, and 1.5 would not be too gaudy/big. I tried on 2ct on my size 4.25 finger and thought it wasn't big enough for an upgrade.

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Here are the pictures of the certified specs. The 1.48 is "good" cut, the 1.27 is "excellent" cut.

img_6563.jpg fullsizerender1_2.jpg img_6562.jpg fullsizerender_137.jpg

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Here are 3 more pictures of the 2 stones sides by side:

img_6570.jpg
img_6568_0.jpg
img_6569.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jay, good thing you posted the certificates. To be quite honest, neither of the two are well cut at all. The table is huge on the 1.48 and the cut grade is only "good". Read enough on here and you'll find that even the GIA "excellent" is very broad and doesn't always mean that the cut is superior. It goes Ex, VG, G, etc...so if there are questionable stones in the "excellent" category, what does that say of those in the "good" category (exclusive of old cut stones). The 1.23 is an example of a stone in the "excellent" category but that doesn't have complimentary angles and scores a 6.0 (!!) on the HCA. PSers recommend stones with scores < 2.0 and even then prefer to have ASET/IS images to confirm light performance.

Long story short - I'd advise you post your budget and requirements here for the seasoned PSers to find you a knock out stone that will perform well in all surroundings! Remember, jewelry store lights will make any diamond sparkle...it's when you have them in all other environments that you will truly see a difference!

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback. So the 1.23 isn't that good of a stone even though it's rated as F, VS1, excellent cut? And likewise the 1.48, which is also F and VS1, but good cut? For someone like me who is an amatuer, would these stones work for what I'm looking for? I had the jeweler take them out in natural light outside the store and they look fantastic. Also, through the loupe both look flawless.

My budget is ideally 10k. I can go a little over that. The design is what I posted earlier. The jeweler is offering me the 1.23 @ $10.5k, and the 1.48 at 11.5k.

Thanks!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well not only are the stones not well cut, but they are also overpriced for what they are. Is that USD? Just for reference, this is a top of the line super ideal cut diamond for roughly the same price as what they are offering you. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3628090.htm

Higher color and clarity do not make a diamond sparkle - it's the cut that is key. I advise watching the videos and seeing how the diamond should perform. Here are a few others:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-872700

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-940758

This is a HUGE purchase....don't rush! You've come to the right place for advice. I'm sure you want to get the best quality for your budget!

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Thank you acano. The price he quoted was with the setting and stones all around. So 10.5k or 11.5k out the door. Unfortunately, time is of the essence as this is happening in 3 1/2 weeks. Yes, US dollars on both.

How would I go about purchasing the diamond that you listed, for example, and getting it fit into a ring, etc.

Thx!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got it - there are still several options which will be a better value for you such as going to a lower but still very white color such as G/H/I and/or lowering clarity to VS2/SI1 but something that is still eye clean.

The setting that you chose is lovely but be warned that rings like that are high maintenance, need to be babied and not worn during all types of activities. From the picture, it looks like a 3 sided pave ring. This also means that she'd need to be careful wearing a wedding band with it bc the diamond could scratch against each other.

To answer your question, Whiteflash and James Allen also carry many settings so you could make it a one stop shop.

WF: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/

JA: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/

This one looks nice, http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1363.htm

And you could pair it with either of these: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3646315.htm or http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3577112.htm

Jay518

Rough_Rock
I can see this is your wheel house :)

Yes it does have stones all over the ring on all 3 sides. She sent me the picture 2 years ago so I know it is what she would like.

Based on the link that you provided, it would be $2,500 for the ring and $10k or so for the diamond? Am I reading that correctly? What is their turn-around time?

Thx!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Np! Your best bet is to call them and ask their turnaround time! WF's stones are in house but not sure how much time the setting takes. Not all of JA's are in house so that'll depend. Also, unless you're in TX, WF won't charge you tax.

Lastly, you might be able to squeeze a bit more size by going through JA but it won't be a super ideal cut. The difference will be slight so you'll have to decide what's more important to you!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
My brother ordered a pear pave halo on March 11th from James Allen with an anticipated receipt date of March 25th. He was also in a time crunch and pleasantly surprised when it was delivered early on the 22nd.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, definitely not the 1.48. Even the GIA Excellent cut category is broad and some stones are better than others. So I do not recommend going below excellent cut. But that 1.2 isn't one of the best ones, unfortunately.

You could go with one of these:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3577112.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3571556.htm

and this setting:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1363.htm

I would not get the diamonds on the side of the shank (band) of the engagement ring. Those are not good to wear with a wedding band as the side stones will rub against the wedding band and possibly damage it. I recommend platinum.

Whiteflash might be faster since they have the stones in-house.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1459309944|4012971 said:
Ugh, definitely not the 1.48. Even the GIA Excellent cut category is broad and some stones are better than others. So I do not recommend going below excellent cut. But that 1.2 isn't one of the best ones, unfortunately.

You could go with one of these:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3577112.htm

and this setting:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1363.htm

I would not get the diamonds on the side of the shank (band) of the engagement ring. Those are not good to wear with a wedding band as the side stones will rub against the wedding band and possibly damage it. I recommend platinum.

Whiteflash might be faster since they have the stones in-house.

Great minds think alike! I recommended the exact diamond and setting above to him! :)

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
I would go with what the ladies above have suggested. Since she showed you the pic of the setting she liked two years ago, are you sure she still likes this one? It's worth trying to do some detective work as many of us change our minds on settings a lot! I also agree that good cut is not good enough. You won't get the sparkle factor. Let these ladies help you pick out a diamond. I have read so many posts where they have picked out absolute gems (pardon the pun). They will get you more bang for your buck!

Jay518

Rough_Rock
What about these 2?

image_584.jpg
image_585.jpg

Jay518

Rough_Rock
I think this one is the best:

image_587.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Try plugging the numbers and angles into this tool to calculate light return. It makes the difference between a pretty diamond and one that blings you from across the room.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Your bottom diamond is a 2.3 on the tool...not too bad, but still not under a 2.

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! This has been very helpful, not too mention informative. I walked in with a GED on diamonds and have walked out with a Bachelors (not a PhD like all of you :read:).

I plugged in all the numbers into the tool at the store with the various stones and have decided on the 1.2/G/VS2/2.3 rate cut. I compared it to the 1.23/F/VS1, and just like some of you metioned, it even looked bigger! It's virtually flawless under the loupe too. It really "popped," for lack of a better phrase. It's great to see that the table is perfect as well. The other stones were falling in the 3 - 5 range on the Holloway scale, so I put those to the side immediately. The 1.2/G/VS2 is top notch for what I'm looking for. The price was right and within my budget and I feel really good about the purchase!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely understand - some people firmly believe that you can't only shop by numbers with diamonds. Seeing them perform is equally important! I'm excited for you! Can't wait to see pictures of the final ring! :)

Jay518

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

So the ring came out perfect and the engagement was a success! She had no idea! Here are some pics:

ring3_12.jpg
ring4_9.jpg

Everything is perfect, except for the size... and, I have OCD :lol: Reminder, this is an eternity ring. Since it was a surprise, I wasn't able to fit my fiance for her exact size. She had a few rings at home that she wore on her middle and pointer finger, so I estimated down from there. We ended up going with 4.75 to be safe (humid weather in Hawaii, which is where we got engaged, etc). The ring fit fine, but was a little loose. I had previously read both sides of the argument that you could and could not resize an eternity ring. My jewler informed me that he would be able to resize it.

When we got back from Hawaii, we got my fiance's size which was a 4, give or take a few. It's a comfortable fit with a little room, but doesn't slide off past the knuckle. This is the size she prefers. When the ring was first resized, there was a noticeable "bump" from the seal, and we both told the jewler it was unacceptable. He went back and fixed it again, and now the seal is virtually unnoticeable, except if you have OCD like me! You would honestly have to be looking for it to see it and besides, it's on the bottom. Here are some pics of the seam:

ring1_20.jpg
ring5_3.jpg
ring6_3.jpg

Now let me preface this with she loves the ring! :love: She doesn't feel that it needs to be fixed again. I on the other hand want perfection. The only other option at this point is having a new mold made and remaking the ring. I would be in the hole for the labor.

My question is, what are your thoughts? Is it normal to have a minimal line after resizing, specifically on an eternity ring? Should I just have it remade? Or should I leave it, with the expectation that weight might fluctuate in the future and resizing might be needed again?

Thanks as always for the advice!

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring, btw. Glad you ditched the original diamonds.

It's hard to see the imperfection you're talking about on those photos. If she is truly okay with it, I woud say let it go. Chalk it up to cost of making it a surprise and not knowing her correct size.

BTW, for other guys reading this, I'd advise doing anything you can to get the correct size of that specific finger. If you can't try on rings together (which is def a good idea) or getting a ring she wear on her ring finger, then the easiest way to keep it a surprise and get very close to the right size is asking a random engaged or marrid woman who has very similar sized fingers what her ring size is. She might be wierded out at first, but probably will be excited for you when you tell her why.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results