carat
color
clarity

1.22ct Untreated Natural Pigeon Blood Ruby

Airidas

Rough_Rock
From Mozambique.
Has all documentation.

I was wondering if this was a good ruby and maybe even an estimated value since I am very new to gemstones. I was given this recently as my father collects many things and this was a recent purchase which I fell in love with and had to have. Thank you for your time. Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG Capture4.PNG IMG_20200424_130010.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like all things there’s a price you buy from a gem dealer or store and a price you can receive when you try selling it yourself.
Most people here on Pricescope would request a AGL report as they may require confirmation from a lab that they know and trust.
Many factors affect the value of a Ruby. Obviously treatment status is very important and an unheated ruby is the preference and more valuable than heat treated. After that is usually origin. A Burmese origin can add many $$$ s in value.
Colour is subjective. While your lab report has considered it to be Pigeon blood red, another lab may disagree. In any regard colour can be a personal preference and with so many rubies seemingly being labelled as “pigeon blood red” the “label” is less respected.
Also important to a purchaser is clarity, eye visible inclusions and the condition of the ruby itself.
Your ruby appears to be quite included with some dark inclusions. It also seems to have a number of surface reaching fissures (girdle and pavilion). These are considered a big negative by many buyers as they may affects the stability and integrity of the ruby.
Rubies can sell between $1,000 and $10,000 or more a carat.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AIGS (a less known gem lab from Thailand) sound lot and lots and lots like AIG (arguably the most respected lab in the world, located in NY NY).

Hmmmmm. :think: :think: :think:

What? No clarity grade? Really!?! :confused:

Hmmmmm. :think: :think: :think:
Actually that gem looks more polluted than included. :nono:
Buyer beware, I say.

voce

Ideal_Rock
AIG = an insurance company, I think. AGL is arguably the most respectable gem lab for colored stones. I think your phone played a joke on you, @kenny. Just don't want to give our newbie the wrong information here.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
. . . this was a recent purchase which I fell in love with and had to have. . . .

This is what matters. If you love it, but are experiencing financial questions, you could try to find comparable rubies to determine if you got a good deal on it. Unless you purchase a gem that is ideal in all aspects, there will always be objectively "better" ones. Whether something with flaws is good is highly subjective- some will compromise on treatments or synthetics, some inclusions, others cut, and others will accept off-standard color. For those who don't wish to compromise, there is a high price for perfection. If you make a list of what you would want vs what you got- did you get the ruby you wanted?

I think that, unless you are holding a piece that is in "investment quality", the value of retail-priced gems is determined by your enjoyment of it. You could potentially find someone who falls in love with it as you have, and that could stabilize the monetary value in a resell situation- but it is prudent to expect depreciation. If you look at LT, you'll see many private sale items, many of which owners state the price they paid vs the price they're selling them for now.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it is worthwhile saying AIGS is a big, and quite reputable lab in asia. And as such if the stone came out of thailand there is nothing surprising about it carrying an AIGS lab report (as opposed to an AGL one).

The stone looks to be a bit flat, and very included. I think Bron is right that several of these inclusions may effect the value -- it is not looking like an extremely expensive ruby. This can be a good thing, as pricing top quality material is a bit nerve racking as small nuances in the colour mean big differences in price tag. This one I feel like you can just enjoy, as it's price wont show as much variance depending on small changes in colour etc. It is not going to be worth an jaw dropping amount of money.

How do you plan to set it?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is a gift, then it is a nice gift regardless of its value.

I happen to like the colour of the stone, and can live with the inclusion and native cut, and would happily set it in a ring.

However, if I were to part with my own money to buy it, then I would pass, unless it is at a price that I am willing to pay.

I am no expert on pricing, sorry! However I would probably pay no more than 1.5k USD for this stone if I were to buy it for myself.

Personal opinion and all that.

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love it, that's all that matters. It is not something I would buy due to the darkness and inclusions, and I do not consider it an "investment grade" stone. But that is irrelevant if you plan to set it and enjoy it!

Airidas

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your quick and detailed replies, I am very happy with my stone and just wanted to know a little more about it which you have all helped with. My father spent £700 on it at auction which evaluated it at around £3000 which I doubted since they clearly want to make money and due to the inclusions and the fact that it is not clear etc but I am no expert so thank you for explaining.
It was listed as an investor item also.
After the quarantine is lifted I shall set it in a silver ring as they suit me more than gold.
Thank you all once more and I hope to share future gemstones with this community :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results