shape
carat
color
clarity

1.2 ct RB Shopping help please!

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
USA certed diamonds has good prices, you could contact them perhaps to see what they can do for you. I did a quick search in the price and size range you desire but upped the colour grade to j and k and found a few potential diamonds.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, that's what happens if you don't act fast. Lurkers snatch them up! Sorry :( What about the others I posted from DBL?
I wonder what would be the best way to avoid lurkers from nabbing stones people are posting for opinions? That’s what I was afraid of when I got my upgrade so I was pretty vague with my post. Someone advised me to put it on hold before someone else nabs it which i did.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what would be the best way to avoid lurkers from nabbing stones people are posting for opinions? That’s what I was afraid of when I got my upgrade so I was pretty vague with my post. Someone advised me to put it on hold before someone else nabs it which i did.
Putting on hold is pretty much the only way. If someone posts something you like, I'd immediately put it on hold.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Okay so some more that could be nice:

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamonds/id/3604657

Like the ASET, I would ask more about the colour and inclusions. Although most seem to be on the pavilion so should be hidden by the setting.

For these three I would definitely enquire about their performance, get videos etc:

https://ivyandrose.com/products/1-1...ean-cut-diamond-vintage-loose-natural-antique

https://ivyandrose.com/products/ant...pean-cut-diamond-loose-vintage-natural-1-25ct

https://ivyandrose.com/products/1-2...ertified-diamond-eye-clean-h-si-vintage-1920s

L

lydial

Hello everyone and thank you for your help. I enjoyed looking at the AVR the most - WOW but too pricey!!! (at least the ones I liked of course!) I found this stone and they have it on hold for me, I am requesting images before I pull the trigger. HCA comes in at 1.8. The "thin" girdle should be protected by the stones around it. I can not wait to show it to everyone here - I will post the images once they come to my inbox.

This 1.11 Carat Round diamond M Color VVS2 Clarity has Excellent proportions and a diamond grading report from GIA

DIAMOND INFORMATION
SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.11
COLOR: M
CLARITY: VVS2
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Faint
L/W/D (MM): 6.71*6.67*4.11
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 61.40
GIRDLE: Thin - Thin
TABLE %: 56.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 34.50
CROWN %: 15.50
PAVILION ∠: 41.00
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
PAVILION %: 43.50

L

lydial

Agree color is important and not against a 60/60 style stone but this one doesn't have complimentary angles IMO, especially if she's looking for the best cut.

We are going for ideal and this one falls somewhere between excellent, very good to good.

20190202_135352.jpg

My E-Ring diamond is about a 60/60 (it is a long story but I bought it before PS - it dose score well and has a really good symmetry and polish and cut, but it faces up VERY white and bright, I want something totally different for this project).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My E-Ring diamond is about a 60/60 (it is a long story but I bought it before PS - it dose score well and has a really good symmetry and polish and cut, but it faces up VERY white and bright, I want something totally different for this project).

There are lots of great 60/60 stones. Sorry if my prior comments conveyed I was against them. I just didn't find those particular proportions flattering.

I understand we refer to them as 60/60 stones but a truly great 60/60 has more than just depth and table that equals 60% each. Essentially each table has an ideal cut range of various crown and pavilion angles. The screen cap I posted earlier was an attempt to show you how that particular combo looked. FYI, as table sizes increase (or decrease) too far, the amount and specific crown and pavilion angles also lessen.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone and thank you for your help. I enjoyed looking at the AVR the most - WOW but too pricey!!! (at least the ones I liked of course!) I found this stone and they have it on hold for me, I am requesting images before I pull the trigger. HCA comes in at 1.8. The "thin" girdle should be protected by the stones around it. I can not wait to show it to everyone here - I will post the images once they come to my inbox.

This 1.11 Carat Round diamond M Color VVS2 Clarity has Excellent proportions and a diamond grading report from GIA

DIAMOND INFORMATION
SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.11
COLOR: M
CLARITY: VVS2
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Faint
L/W/D (MM): 6.71*6.67*4.11
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 61.40
GIRDLE: Thin - Thin
TABLE %: 56.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 34.50
CROWN %: 15.50
PAVILION ∠: 41.00
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
PAVILION %: 43.50

I am interested to see the images as well. Love the table and crown.

The pavilion concerns me. Its 41 with a 43.5 depth. If you aren't aware, a diamond has 8 crown and pavilion facets. At the lab, GIA measures each individual value and then averages AND rounds them. The problem being 41.2 pavilions start to do wonky things. There is a good chance you will get a few values at 41.2 or better. @blueMA recently discussed her love and (long) search for a 34/41 stone. If the stone isn't well cut you will see some issues.

My fingers are crossed for you. The ASET and hearts image should tell the story.

FYI, if the stone is reserved, you can share a web link so we could see normal photos and videos, assuming they are available.

L

lydial

Worst case scenario if I buy it and it is a dud is I have to return it and try again, but I prefer not to go through all of the work if it is avoidable!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Worst case scenario if I buy it and it is a dud is I have to return it and try again, but I prefer not to go through all of the work if it is avoidable!

Do you have an ASET scope? If not, it might be a good idea to get one. I mean, diamonds are sparkly in general ... my concern is: how are you going to determine if it’s a dud?

L

lydial

I am taking it to my jeweler, they have an AGS grading microscope and will look at it with me.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Here ya go! I am not expecting perfection just not a waste of money.
Considering my first looks were SI2/I1 this is pretty clean but again if it is a "dud" I bet it is stil better than a lot on the market at the price point.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6485528

It has a bit of obstruction issue due to the 75 lgh and higher crown (I prefer 80 for around 34/41 combo) and slight symmetry issue and bit of digging I could see. However, there's a good chance the diamond could be a decent bright sparkler in person since the bit of obstruction may cancel out with stereo vision when the diamond is viewed in person. If the price is right, it may be worth checking out in person.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is JA not able to provide images for you? That would save you from buying and potentially having to return.

L

lydial

They are supposed to be getting pics for me.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Matilda posted a GOG European cut, do people think that is a better choice? I like the price. This is a fun ring but I plan to wear it a lot so I was concerned about the inclusion.

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamonds/id/3604657
It’s a VS2 so it should be eye clean but I feel like that little glob on the table would be one of those things impossible to unsee once you find it. The little griddle chips don’t thrill me either, but considering the design of your ring, should pose too much of a problem.
Hopefully someone a little more knowledge will chip in their two cents too ;)2

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Putting on hold is pretty much the only way. If someone posts something you like, I'd immediately put it on hold.

Oh I’m not trying to swoop other people’s stones. I’m not like that. I just felt bad for the OP as she was going to get that stone but then it’s gone. Sometimes it’s hard as you’re trying to decide between stones and waiting for experts to chime in then boom it’s gone. I think people can just post specs but not post the exact link to the stone so lurkers can’t just swoop in?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I’m not trying to swoop other people’s stones. I’m not like that. I just felt bad for the OP as she was going to get that stone but then it’s gone. Sometimes it’s hard as you’re trying to decide between stones and waiting for experts to chime in then boom it’s gone. I think people can just post specs but not post the exact link to the stone so lurkers can’t just swoop in?
Oops, I meant as OP. Just realized that what I said was confusing. But yes, specs without the ecwcr link. Or OPs can put something on hold and then post.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, I meant as OP. Just realized that what I said was confusing. But yes, specs without the ecwcr link. Or OPs can put something on hold and then post.

Thanks, @lovedogs. I just wanted to make it clear that I am not looking to swoop other people’s stones when they post it for advise hahaa. I just feel bad for people who post here for advice only to find out the the stone is gone when they decide which stone is best for them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @lovedogs. I just wanted to make it clear that I am not looking to swoop other people’s stones when they post it for advise hahaa. I just feel bad for people who post here for advice only to find out the the stone is gone when they decide which stone is best for them.
I definitely didn't read your post that way! I know you were looking out for other posters. :)

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Regarding the GOG stone I would contact them and enquire about the inclusions. Especially regarding durability issues, although as @anangel said above, it should not be an issue in a VS2 and in the setting you plan on. In terms of the JA diamond personally I would wait to see the ASETs before a trial run. I suspect the GOG will face up whiter than the JA, which would be from what you have said a good thing.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

I feel bad for those people too! But ... even if you were looking to swoop in, I think that’s par for the course, so to speak. People are lurking here on PS to find good diamond buys, so OPs have to be on the ball. It’s still good to know there are nice people out there that would not do the swoop!

Incidentally, I found a 2 carat rather orange vs1 for $14000 if anyone is interested ...

L

lydial

Whoa! Look at that. I finally got the pic (1 pic):

Attachments

• 6485528.pdf
    104.2 KB · Views: 68

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
While I am waiting for my pics from JA: Is something like this bound to be a prettier diamond?

https://yadav-certs.s3.amazonaws.com/6312606654.pdf

Same price.

Well ... it’s not a fantastic stone ... but again, in real life it may be ok. The crown angle is a bit high at 36.5, and it’s a bit deep at 62.8. The HCA score is better for the JA stone at 1.8, whereas the Yadav scores 2.4.

Here is the HCA for the JA stone:
1FA6DF52-530D-4244-9C33-6B6E44BD457F.jpeg
And for the Yadav:
AB5C5B87-4D03-41D3-901E-3FF88739DCBD.jpeg

L

lydial

Do you think the JA picture looks ok?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa! Look at that. I finally got the pic (1 pic):

Nice! There’s a little bit of light leakage under the table, but considering this is a non-ideal, that is a lot of solid red, I think.

I got a bit excited and replied ... but I’m not an expert at idealscope, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Attachments

• 6485528.pdf
    116.5 KB · Views: 49

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
What I said earlier. Personally I'd pass, but I'm quite particular and would keep looking until I find something more ideal. I think the stone will look nice in person for most novice if no alternates can be found at a better bargain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results