shape
carat
color
clarity

1.2 ct RB Shopping help please!

L

lydial

Hi PS-ers, I previously posted looking for suggestions for custom jewelers to create a flower shaped cluster ring using my existing diamonds, and got amazing suggestions, but I decided to go with my local jeweler who I trust and who has vast experience in making delicate diamond jewelry.
We realize my e-ring diamond is too big for the center of the cluster (I have a 1.58 ct RB, and 10 x 3-point RB D-VS1 stones from a chunky Tiffany channel ring I am re-purposing, so the perfect center stone will be right about 6.8 mm) AND my husband would like me to keep the 1.58 ct in the setting where it is, since he designed it. So I am buying a new stone - about 1.25 ct or smaller will work I think. My jeweler can not find a stone in my budget for some reason.
So, in short I am looking for help shopping for a 1.2 - 1.25 ct RB for a center stone in a ring and I want it to be EASY (I am hoping to buy 1 - and - done, not have to return etc). My budget is "cheaper the better", up to 3500 for the stone but prefer to stay around 3000.
I prefer it being low color (J-K, maybe L) and I do not mind the contrast with the halo - I think it will look interesting that way. I also am more concerned with performance and cut than inclusions so SI2 is fine.
Anyone feel like taking a crack at this for the fun of it? My budget is 3500 for the stone. Hoping to buy something this weekend if possible.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignoring all normal search parameters and just trying to find something $3,500 or less in 1.20+ carats is not yielding results. I will keep looking but my initial thoughts is your budget is unrealistic. The cavaet being LoupeTroop or similar where you may find a pre-existing stone. However, not sure that qualifies as hassle-free and one & done.

This would be close. It has an ASET that looks good and the proportions of the stone is ideal. But $4,800.

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.22-carat-k-vvs2-yd4864528

L

lydial

Thanks! I found so many I am having a hard time narrowing. B2C is the site.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I found so many I am having a hard time narrowing. B2C is the site.

On their site, narrow to 54-57 table and 60-62 depth. Watch them drop like flies. From 16,000+ to a whooping 4. :lol:

upload_2019-2-1_17-18-52.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the 4 remaining above I listed, eliminate the K, I1 as it has a cavity. I'd also eliminate the M, SI2 as it has a faint brown tint (not desirable by many, although I do like) and a 33.5/41.2 angle combo. Love the small 55 table. But things get wonky when pavilions hit above 41.2. No way I buy that without an ASET or idealscope image. Besides 2.4 HCA. But honestly, not proportions I'd really want to buy personally.

The L, SI2 has potential. 56 table, 60.8 depth, 34 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF. Twinning whisps are grade setting inclusion and all over the stone with more not shown (per the notes). May or may not be eye clean. Proportions are in ideal range although you are pairing a shallow crown with a shallow pavilion so it will favor a little more white light return vs fire. HCA is 0.6 TIC, which is much better as you want to be between 0-2 and preferably 1-2. If interested, ask for an ASET or idealscope image. Also a hearts image if they can do it.

https://www.b2cjewels.com/diamond-search/dd/11935376/Round-Diamond-L-Color-SI2-Clarity

If the L, I1 is eye clean then the proportions favor a firey stone. 56 table, 62 depth, 36 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF. That very steep crown is offset by the shallow pavilion which is a good thing. You want an inverse relationship. Steep crowns produce more fire but can have issues with obstruction. FYI, it scores an HCA 1.7 FIC.

More disturbing is the clarity of this stone. There is a massive crystal on the table, which is the grade setting inclusion so I'm guessing it's pretty gnarly. Also, several indented naturals on the crown. Last scary bit is "clouds not shown" in the notes. This gets iffy with SI1 stones and basically a deal breaker with an SI2 stone. And here we are at I1, so I think you know where I'm going -- I expect the stone to be hazy/milky/cloudy looking.

https://www.b2cjewels.com/diamond-search/dd/11277501/Round-Diamond-L-Color-I1-Clarity

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if anyone sees anything that looks 'interesting" please let me know! I could go smaller but not bigger. What about this? Is there too much stuff in it for it to look pretty?

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12121083/Round-Diamond-L-Color-SI2-Clarity

Nice proportions -- 54 table, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF. Small table & steep crown will make a very firey stone. Again, I'd caution about potential obstruction. Looking at video, stone looks very tinted to me but I think some of that is the background color. More worrisome is many of the inclusions are black. I know you aren't worried about clarity but I fear these inclusions may be rather noticeable to the naked eye. Finding an eye clean SI2 can be very difficult FYI.

I'd ask Brian if they have an ASET, idealscope and/or heart image on the stone. Also ask about the severity of the inclusions and if there is any chance it's eye clean (10" away, top view, 20/20 vision and good lighting).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last thought....have you tried reaching out to Yuketiel @ ID Jewelry in NYC? He has worked miracles for people on here. Tell him you are looking for PS cut quality and give him your budget. IDJ is closed tomorrow but normally open on Sunday for a few hours.

Nice thing is whatever you buy, he ships in and has the ability to do a full array of images and a SARIN scan so you know what you are getting before you commit the dollars.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last thought....have you tried reaching out to Yuketiel @ ID Jewelry in NYC? He has worked miracles for people on here. Tell him you are looking for PS cut quality and give him your budget. IDJ is closed tomorrow but normally open on Sunday for a few hours.

Nice thing is whatever you buy, he ships in and has the ability to do a full array of images and a SARIN scan so you know what you are getting before you commit the dollars.

I would do this. The B2C ones aren't great because the inclusions are very big and will be noticeable to the naked eye I think. you don't want to sacrifice clarity to the point that the stone doesn't look good anymore or there is obstruction, because then all the work you did to find a well cut stone is kind of for nothing, KWIM?

L

lydial

I am open to anything. So, I am going to go home, have a glass of cheap wine to go with my cheap diamond shopping, and read this stuff. This is like going to college again! You all are so amazing!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nervous about the "clouds not shown" impacting light performance, and also about the inclusions.

Are you open to brown/yellow colors?
If yes, DBL is freaking amazing and finds stones at crazy prices.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/124ct-brown-si2-round-diamond-r7709

These 2 are smaller, but I think very pretty.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/102ct-w-x-si1-round-diamond-r7033
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...tural-brown-round-brilliant-diamond-gia-r7457

L

lydial

I think the orange one is amazing. Is there anyone out there who owns one?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the orange one is amazing. Is there anyone out there who owns one?
Not quite, but I have an N colored diamond I adore.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That diamond so sooo cool! I just keep looking at the video. Wish I had some mad money :lol:
Me too!!!! I wish I had money. I would have bought it already!

L

lydial

Someone nabbed the orange one. I just was going to buy it and “poof”. Any other good ideas?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone nabbed the orange one. I just was going to buy it and “poof”. Any other good ideas?
Yup, that's what happens if you don't act fast. Lurkers snatch them up! Sorry :( What about the others I posted from DBL?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That orangy stone is so pretty! Hope whoever nabbed it repirts back in their plans for it.

L

lydial

So I am leaning toward a white diamond. My ring being a daisy made the orange appealing but white is more traditional. Not a yellow fancy project. So, I found 2 L/M RB.s with HCA 1.8/1.9, now I am cautious to post. One says additional clouds, one says additional graining, but they are vvs2 and vs1. One has a “ thin” 3% Girdle. Deal breaker?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
So I am leaning toward a white diamond. My ring being a daisy made the orange appealing but white is more traditional. Not a yellow fancy project. So, I found 2 L/M RB.s with HCA 1.8/1.9, now I am cautious to post. One says additional clouds, one says additional graining, but they are vvs2 and vs1. One has a “ thin” 3% Girdle. Deal breaker?
Before we even jump into numbers, my concern is you want a white diamond, but you’re looking at L/M stones. Those are going to have noticeable tint for sure; have you seen stones that color in person? Next too white or near color grades? You seem to be very focused on cut, which is smart, but I would really want to see those highly tinted stones with my own eyes before I based an entire project around them.
Just adding another thought- sometimes vintage cuts look really nice in high color, and the AVRs are cut for light performance and spread. Have you considered one of those for your center?

L

lydial

Hi, thank you for that idea. I have .9 ct diamond studs that are true antique mine cut and love them. I would totally consider a different “round”, the diameter needs to be 6.5. - 7 mm for the design to work . I like warm diamond colors. Since the other stones are so white, it will make a contrast which will loook good to me. My jeweler had a 0.8 ct J in house which was too small but the contrast with the little diamonds looked fine to us.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one’s more in the 60/60 camp. HCA is 1.2 and it comes close to your 6.8 mm goal. It does have very strong fluorescence which might add an interesting element to the center of your flower design.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.12-ct-K-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42441472

Agree color is important and not against a 60/60 style stone but this one doesn't have complimentary angles IMO, especially if she's looking for the best cut.

We are going for ideal and this one falls somewhere between excellent, very good to good.

20190202_135352.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results