shape
carat
color
clarity

1.2 ct RB Shopping help please!

L

lydial

So, I was trying to get a pretty big diameter (6.5-7mm) for as low a price as possible with a budget of <3500, and this one is 3900 - If I want to spend more I can get into ideal cuts for sure but I do not want a 5k center stone - this is going to be a busy ring. I may go for it.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
So, I was trying to get a pretty big diameter (6.5-7mm) for as low a price as possible with a budget of <3500, and this one is 3900 - If I want to spend more I can get into ideal cuts for sure but I do not want a 5k center stone - this is going to be a busy ring. I may go for it.

Considering what you’ve said, maybe you should go with the JA stone and see if you like it. I think you know that we folks here would rather see you go a bit smaller and get a better performing stone, but you are the one that has to balance parameters according to your own needs and wants. You have a 30 day return period, at least (watch the fine print to make sure you have it back to them in time).

If it was me - I would look for something smaller that was a better performer, ie, an ideal cut ... maybe not super ideal but closer ... I would raise my budget or go smaller. In my opinion, it’s a waste of 3500-3900 to go for size over quality ... better to go $5000 and have the dollars get me something special ... or get something a bit smaller to stay on budget ... or be willing to be super patient to screen new inventory as it becomes available. I hope you consider this. You’re still talking thousands of dollars so it may be worth some second thought.

Why not a $5000 center stone? Maybe your expectations for your price point were a bit off, and now you know that your budget is just not realistic for a diamond that you’ll never regret? There’s that saying ... don’t be penny-wise and pound foolish, lol :twirl:

L

lydial

Good points all around. The size is not optional. I have 10 x 1 point (3 mm diameter) diamonds that I am repurposing that are making a circle around the center stone like a victorian flower cluster (https://nautinuptials.blogspot.com/2012/07/variations-on-theme.html). And I want the center stone to just slightly overlap or meet the inner diameter of the circle, which will be about 6.5 mm. So my measurements were 6.5 - 7 mm due to the geometry of the project. So 1.1 - 1.25 ct RB is the approx range, and I am not trying for bigger, smaller will probably be just right. But a 0.9 ct will not work - we laid it out with CZ's and I know the diameter has to be 6.5 ish. I was originally not even looking at diamonds - I was looking at other colored gemstones but I found they were too deep for the setting. So I figured a diamond would work better and I think I can get away with something a little more "budget" because this is not an engagement ring.

I will sleep on it. I have not seen anything else I thought was better in the same price range.

L

lydial

This is the one I pulled the trigger on. I am a little nervous about the fluorescence and I can not get pics so I will buy an ideal scope.

ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements
6.68 - 6.72 x 4.17 mm
Carat Weight
1.15 carat
Color Grade
K
Clarity Grade
VS2
Cut Grade
Excellent
PROPORTIONS
Depth
62.3 %
Table
55 %
Crown Angle
35.5°
Crown Height
16.0%
Pavilion Angle
40.6°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
80%
Girdle
Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet
None

FINISH
Polish
Excellent
Symmetry
Excellent
FLUORESCENCE
Fluorescence
Medium Blue
CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS
Clarity Characteristics
Crystal, Cloud

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the one I pulled the trigger on. I am a little nervous about the fluorescence and I can not get pics so I will buy an ideal scope.

ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements
6.68 - 6.72 x 4.17 mm
Carat Weight
1.15 carat
Color Grade
K
Clarity Grade
VS2
Cut Grade
Excellent
PROPORTIONS
Depth
62.3 %
Table
55 %
Crown Angle
35.5°
Crown Height
16.0%
Pavilion Angle
40.6°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
80%
Girdle
Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet
None

FINISH
Polish
Excellent
Symmetry
Excellent
FLUORESCENCE
Fluorescence
Medium Blue
CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS
Clarity Characteristics
Crystal, Cloud

This stone should exhibit lots of fire. The small 55 table with steep 35.5 crown and complimentary shallow 40.6 pavilion should balance nicely. While I personally prefer 75 LGF's I think the 80 LGF will work well to help balance that smaller table.

I am curious if you have a normal picture of the stone you can share? If you arent aware a GIA reported 80 LGF can be anywhere from 78-82 and I was hoping to see the arrow sizes in an attempt to gauge where in the range the actual value hits.

Have you confirmed a K color is in your acceptability range? I know you've been all over the place but I kept hearing "white" quite a bit. To some that means crisp near blinding white and to others that means cream color. Whatever works for you is okay so long as the K color meets YOUR definition of acceptability.

Does this stone have any unique tints (brow, orange, etc)? Assuming it has a standard yellow/buttery tint then the medium blue may help whiten the stone ever so softly. Not a huge difference and maybe not something you'd even notice.

Fluor typically isn't a problem so many of us aren't bothered by it. But for good caution you should always ask (and confirm in your own inspection) that the stone doesn't have a milky, cloudy or hazy appearance. GIA says only about 1-2% of stones with fluor typically have issues and it's usually in strong or very strong grades.

Not sure the price you paid but it seems you found a very promising stone. Given your budget constraints and desires I think this stone is worth a gamble. As you said, buy a $50 ASET scope and confirm once it arrives (assuming you cant get images ahead of time).

Good job. Can't wait to see more. :cool2:

L

lydial

Thank you for your reply. I did not want a strong colored brown or yellow middle but a pale one would have been neat - the "white" I meant not a strong color but warm is good, not warm is goo d- for me it is about the cut. I got Four Mine to send me the video. Uploaded to youtube:

L

lydial

56EC8C94-F1E4-4306-9D79-3CF860C97E96.jpeg E666B2C6-4404-46D9-AC5B-7E0DF9FF101A.jpeg 850D6AA9-7197-45C9-9FDC-ED6A84A1D234.jpeg CC68C393-63F4-4CC2-BA77-2BA27F808DAC.jpeg I figure no one is following this thread anymore but just in case here are some phone photos of the stone ... that finally showed up today. Long wait from FourMine. Again, 1.15 ct, under 4K in price. Will be central feature in a cluster of 1 point F VVS2 Tiffany Branded RB stones. I was taking indoor photography and there is a lot of fire. Lots of rainbows. Very hard to capture. The K color doesn’t look yellow at all. It looks green to me. Very very faint. Not cloudy indoors from the fluorescence. Will need to look in the sunlight. I have an appointment with the gem setter in a few days and we will really look at it.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I was taking indoor photography and there is a lot of fire. Lots of rainbows.
No doubt. You pretty much have an FIC.
I'm very glad that you were able to find a stone you love under your budget. :clap:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LGF 80 is probably safer for a 35.5/40.6 or FIC combo to avoid over obstruction from the arrows.

Looks like a great stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results