shape
carat
color
clarity

1.06ct fancy intense red

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rdtrdr

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me who I can talk to regarding the real value of a 1.06ct fancy intense red diamond, GIA certified?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds, labeled as ''Fancy Red'' by GIA are extremely rare. As such, it is difficult in a way to establish ''real current value''. On the other hand, we can find articles on historic pricing in auctions. The following info comes from ''Gems & Gemology in Review - Colored diamonds'', a book published by GIA this Summer, page 178.

"... Trade and public recognition of red diamonds expanded greatly following the record $926,316-per-carat price paid for a 0.95 ct purplish red diamond (known as the Hancock Red) at a Christie''s auction in New York in 1987."

"... As recently as December 2001, Phillips (New York) sold a 1.92 ct Fancy red diamond for approximately $860,000 per carat, the second highest per-carat price paid at auction for a gemstone."

Hope this helps,

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Prices on red diamonds, are all over the place.

A lot depends on just how pure the red color is. A true very saturated pure red diamond is an extremely rare stone, and price wise..... the world is an open oyster as to how much is asked for it.

Rent "Diamonds" from Netflix or you local movie rental store. In that they show the tender sale of pinks and reds from Australia, which is quite fascinating to see. There aren''t any prices mentioned in the film, but there is plenty of interest from buys and almost any amount asked for a really fine one, is to be expected.

There is also a book available by Stephen Hofer about colored diamonds which has a lot of information in it. It sells for about $ 300.00, but if you are serious about collecting fancy colored diamonds it is essential to make the investment in it. Another good book is callled "Forever Brilliant" by Alan Bronstein and is available on Amazon.

Rockdoc

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello rdtrdr,

I don''t recall that the GIA has ever given a grade of intense to any natural red diamond. So it would be very hard to give any real value, since it is hypothetical. If you reference gems and gemology summer 2002, or a reprint on pg. 178 of GIA''s compilation book of Colored Diamonds, it says the GIA has applied only one color grade "Fancy" thus far as the range of color depth for red diamonds is not wide. If such a stone exists, I would extremely interested in more information about the stone, and then I can possibly help you with the value. I do know that other labs (i.e. HRD) do give the grade of intense to reds. I hope that info helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results