shape
carat
color
clarity

0.81 to 1.34 ct Asscher - worth the upgrade?

wandergirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the forum and hoping to get your advice on a possible upgrade. I have a 0.81 carat Asscher e-ring currently, and a band that's 2mm thick - which makes the Asscher look smaller. I'm keen to get a bigger stone that would show the steps a bit better, but also keen to have it not look over the top. My finger size is 3.75 hence why I picked out the 0.81 carat in the first instance. I was thinking between 1.3 and 1.5, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of size difference between the two even if price-wise there's about $3000 difference.
My current Asscher faces up at 5.1mm and the 1.3 that I was considering on JA faces up at 6.1mm. Would there be a visible difference or should I go for bigger (honestly worried about having a stone that's too big cos I'm a fan of dainty jewellery)?
Would appreciate some advice thank you! :pray:

IMG-1601.JPG

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, to answer your question quickly - yes, there will be a visual difference. Can you please let us know what is your total budget for your new upgrade?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
It would certainly be a noticeable difference.
I’d suggest posting a few that you are interested in to have their cut assessed because a good cut with nice light return also helps a diamond look larger ;)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would. With an asscher, you need to go the biggest you can. That is my opinion owning a 1.52 ctw one

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, that will definitely make a noticeable difference on your hand. At under a couple of carats or so, I'd say it's worth the trouble and expense if the new diamond is at least half again as large as the current diamond, which yours would be.

Also, I wouldn't worry about getting a diamond that's too large because it probably soon won't seem like it; you'll probably just quickly get used to it. So I'd go more by what you can comfortably afford. Also, as you've mentioned, what shows is the diamond's surface dimensions, not the carat weight. Good luck!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ass...s&biw=1366&bih=657&dpr=1#imgrc=KXy8Wnz4beiFNM:

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your current ring looks lovely :) but as we all know here on PS, DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) is a real thing ;-) :lol: so many would agree with the Bigger Is Better approach! :D

Have you tried different sizes on locally (while not getting sucked into buying whatever the jeweller has in stock)?

Do you know if you like modern cuts or vintage cuts? Check out gemconcepts.net for the latter :) and look for Jimmianne's thread on her 'Mildred'!

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes a 1.35 or 1.5 will look much bigger than 0.81.
Be sure to pick one that has depth % below 68.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the diamdb difference...your dainty fingers make everything look large (from a 6 3/4 size finger...so jealous:mrgreen:).
Capture.PNG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly recommend @diagem at GemConcepts.
He is a master of his craft, and Vintage Cut Asschers have a 3D life that explodes like nothing you’ve ever seen!!
I own 7 25pt Vintage Cut Asschers by @diagem that will be snuggled into a forever home, in the very near future (summer is my goal).
@Jimmianne has a GORGEOUS Vintage Cut Asscher from GemConcepts. Check out these threads.....

Mine:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-yoram-finkelstein-at-gemconcepts-ltd.235991/

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...amateur-attempt-at-aset-images-photos.246032/

@Jimmianne ‘s:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-from-gemconcepts-code-name-mildred.236249/

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your current ring looks lovely :) but as we all know here on PS, DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) is a real thing ;-) :lol: so many would agree with the Bigger Is Better approach! :D

Have you tried different sizes on locally (while not getting sucked into buying whatever the jeweller has in stock)?

Do you know if you like modern cuts or vintage cuts? Check out gemconcepts.net for the latter :) and look for Jimmianne's thread on her 'Mildred'!

Agree ^
Please see my post.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results