shape
carat
color
clarity

0.40 ct RB set with 2 pear sides....how will it look?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noneek

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have 0.40 ct RB from my FI. Since we are going to reset our e-ring, I come across a three-stone ring setting (RB center with 2 pear sides) from dimend scaasi and I am seriously considering it (subject to FI approval of course). I love the three-stone look but curious as to how will it look, since my center stone is 0.40 ct.

Could you ladies help me out by posting your ring pics if you have the 0.40 ct RB as center stone and 2 pear sides?

Thank you 2x!!
36.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will look beautiful and give you some nice side bling!

littlemissbliss

Shiny_Rock
I think it will be gorgeous!

Do you know what size sidestones you would like to put with your RB?

noneek

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 12:15:06 AM
Author: littlemissbliss

Thats what I want to find out. The ring setting comes with two pear sides of 0.50 ctw. Will my 0.40 ct center stone look good with the two side pears of 0.50 ctw?

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I think it will look great. You will have some serious bling!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the look you''re going for. Do you want it to be sort of one line of bling? Or did you want the pears to be accents to the center stone? If you want a line of bling, go for the .50 ctw pears. If you''d rather the pears just be accents, I would go with smaller side stones.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I found this image, sorry it''s not a good angle, which has a .54ct center and .2ct pears.

0301010011%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

I also found this thread that has a bunch of rings with round centers and pear sides. None of them are exactly the sizes you''re looking at, but I hoped it would give you an idea.

Rounds with pear sides

littlemissbliss

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 3:43:57 AM
Author: noneek
Date: 4/10/2009 12:15:06 AM

Author: littlemissbliss

Thats what I want to find out. The ring setting comes with two pear sides of 0.50 ctw. Will my 0.40 ct center stone look good with the two side pears of 0.50 ctw?

noneek: i say go for the .50 ctw sidestones!! but you might be asking the wrong girl about sidestones! i picked the biggest sidestones that would fit on my finger. although i think they look great, the proportions aren''t traditional and it is a bit much for some people.

can''t wait to see what you decide!

noneek

Rough_Rock
Thanks girlie girl for the link and the pic. It looks gorgeous. I am actually not looking for an accent, more of a one line bling. My FI already give me an ok for this. He told me that he originally want to go with this side pears look, but the only stone that shows some serious shine is in a solitaire setting.

Do you know anyone who has experience with dimend scaasi? I am thinking of sending my stone to them to have it set with the pears.

Although FI wants to go first with a B&M store, we will put dimend scaasi as our last resort. Dimend Scaasi has some serious setting and good price too. What do you ladies think? Any thoughts?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that it would look beautiful and give you the bling factor that you are hoping for.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think it will look great
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will be a lovey combination with beautiful proportions!!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 8:49:54 AM
Author: girlie-girl
I found this image, sorry it''s not a good angle, which has a .54ct center and .2ct pears.

I also found this thread that has a bunch of rings with round centers and pear sides. None of them are exactly the sizes you''re looking at, but I hoped it would give you an idea.

Rounds with pear sides
lol, I''m reading this thread and there''s a picture of my giant hand! That''s my ring. My fingers aren''t that big in real life!
I think it will look great. Personally I like the look of a continuous line of diamonds, where the pears are about the same width as the stone, rather than two very small pears on each side. It''s a personal preferance.

noneek

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 3:29:05 PM
Author: diamondsrock

Rounds with pear sides
lol, I''m reading this thread and there''s a picture of my giant hand! That''s my ring. My fingers aren''t that big in real life!
I think it will look great. Personally I like the look of a continuous line of diamonds, where the pears are about the same width as the stone, rather than two very small pears on each side. It''s a personal preferance.

Hi!!!!!! Thanks for posting. Your ring is gorgeous!!! Your hands is so smooth with neat color nail. I also like the continuous line of diamonds. I have questions for you:

So, your ring has 0.50 ct center and 2 pears on each side are 0.20 ct each? Am I correct? Please advise!!
Another question I have, which jeweler do you use? Do you use B&M or online? What would you advise me do?

Dimend scaasi''s setting is $1300-1800 (including the 2 side pears of 0.50 ctw). I believe that this is the way to go but my FI like us to hit some B&M store first.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
lol, I'm reading this thread and there's a picture of my giant hand! That's my ring. My fingers aren't that big in real life!
I think it will look great. Personally I like the look of a continuous line of diamonds, where the pears are about the same width as the stone, rather than two very small pears on each side. It's a personal preferance.

Oopsie, sorry about that diamondsrock. I should have listed your name along with the image. I hope you don't mind me re-posting the picture of your beautiful ring.
12.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi noneek

i''m currently collecting the stones to do the same style ring as you. like you, i was after larger pears than normal, so went with a center stone of 1 ct, and side stones of .5ct each. i''m now planning to make the pears into earrings, as they''re just too big for the central stone. i think you''ll find that having side stones that total more than your center stone will spoil the lines of the ring; i think as a maximum you wouldnt want the total of the side stones to go beyond the weight of your center stone. try to imagine drawing a line from the highest point of your .4ct stone out to the furthest tip of each pear; you want that line to be basically uninterrupted and smooth for it to look like it flows. if you cant make a reasonably uninterrupted line, it will look like it jumps around the place a bit. most people go for much smaller pears than that, and have a ''step down'' look from central stone to pears. but even if you want to go much larger, with the aim of having an uninterrupted sweep of diamonds, you''ll need to have a smooth, down-sloping line which you''re not going to get if your pears are too big.

what i''ve found for my 1 ct center stone, given that i want basically the same effect as you, is that the side stones need to be about 1/3 each the weight of your center stone, with a ratio of 1 to 1.4/1.5 for the pears. fatter pears are more forgiving, while longer pears end up looking like they''re the main stone and your central stone just a dot in the middle! a ratio of 1 to 2 means the pear is twice as long as it is wide, for example 6mm x 3mm. this is a long, thin pear. a ratio of 1 to 1.5 means it''s one and a half times as long as it is wide, so - a pear would be, for example, 6mm x 4mm.

so, for a center stone, i think you''ll get your best look with side stones of about .26 - .28ct in total, or 13/14 points each. you could stretch it to .3ctw for both stones, giving your ring .7ctw for the whole thing, but my feeling -and it''s only my opinion - is that .5ctw will overwhelm your central stone.

when i was first looking at these styles, i tried on a ring of this style in tiffany. it had a center stone of .98 ct, and side stones with a TOTAL weight of .35ct. that''s the more normal proportions for that style, tho perhaps a teensy bit smaller pears than normal. not much, tho. most people''s pears seem to total about 1/3 of the weight of their center stone. i''m suggesting pears that add up to 2/3 of the weight of the center stone. pears that are 1 1/4 times the weight of the center stone i think might overwhelm it.

again, this is just my opinion, but i *have* just done this and come to grief with it, so i''d suggest trying on all sorts of different versions of this ring; it can be quite tricky!

good luck!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 5:26:39 PM
Author: noneek

I found this image, sorry it's not a good angle, which has a .54ct center and .2ct pears.

I also found this thread that has a bunch of rings with round centers and pear sides. None of them are exactly the sizes you're looking at, but I hoped it would give you an idea.

Rounds with pear sides
lol, I'm reading this thread and there's a picture of my giant hand! That's my ring. My fingers aren't that big in real life!
I think it will look great. Personally I like the look of a continuous line of diamonds, where the pears are about the same width as the stone, rather than two very small pears on each side. It's a personal preferance.

Hi!!!!!! Thanks for posting. Your ring is gorgeous!!! Your hands is so smooth with neat color nail. I also like the continuous line of diamonds. I have questions for you:

So, your ring has 0.50 ct center and 2 pears on each side are 0.20 ct each? Am I correct? Please advise!!
Another question I have, which jeweler do you use? Do you use B&M or online? What would you advise me do?

Dimend scaasi's setting is $1300-1800 (including the 2 side pears of 0.50 ctw). I believe that this is the way to go but my FI like us to hit some B&M store first.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!
Thank you! That is so sweet. The pears are roughly .18 ct. each although one is a bit larger than the other which bothers me, although even I didn't notice it at first. It's a .54 ct. center stone, 5.32x5.29 measurements on the center stone.
This is actually a ring which my husband bought for me from one of his friends (his friend had a failed engagement and he was holding on to this ring for a while). My original e-ring is a .25 ct. solitaire. I think the guy bought it locally somewhere. I would ask for a view of the ring before you have it done. Not all three stone rings look the same by any means. Fatter pears will look completely different than skinny pears. One of my pears is almost heart shaped so a bit on the fat side. Trillions is another look you may want to check out. Make sure you approve the side stones and they match exactly and are the same shape, not just the same weight.
You may want to play around with different size stones, shapes, etc..until you find the one you like the best.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 5:40:38 PM

Oopsie, sorry about that diamondsrock. I should have listed your name along with the image. I hope you don''t mind me re-posting the picture of your beautiful ring.
12.gif
no problem at all! I''m flattered you posted it!
2.gif

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
Diamondsrock, do you have any more pictures of your ring, profile, side, top view, etc??? O would love to see more!!!

noneek

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 6:01:23 PM
Author: whitby_2773

hi noneek

i''m currently collecting the stones to do the same style ring as you. like you, i was after larger pears than normal, so went with a center stone of 1 ct, and side stones of .5ct each. i''m now planning to make the pears into earrings, as they''re just too big for the central stone. i think you''ll find that having side stones that total more than your center stone will spoil the lines of the ring; i think as a maximum you wouldnt want the total of the side stones to go beyond the weight of your center stone. try to imagine drawing a line from the highest point of your .4ct stone out to the furthest tip of each pear; you want that line to be basically uninterrupted and smooth for it to look like it flows. if you cant make a reasonably uninterrupted line, it will look like it jumps around the place a bit. most people go for much smaller pears than that, and have a ''step down'' look from central stone to pears. but even if you want to go much larger, with the aim of having an uninterrupted sweep of diamonds, you''ll need to have a smooth, down-sloping line which you''re not going to get if your pears are too big.

what i''ve found for my 1 ct center stone, given that i want basically the same effect as you, is that the side stones need to be about 1/3 each the weight of your center stone, with a ratio of 1 to 1.4/1.5 for the pears. fatter pears are more forgiving, while longer pears end up looking like they''re the main stone and your central stone just a dot in the middle! a ratio of 1 to 2 means the pear is twice as long as it is wide, for example 6mm x 3mm. this is a long, thin pear. a ratio of 1 to 1.5 means it''s one and a half times as long as it is wide, so - a pear would be, for example, 6mm x 4mm.

so, for a center stone, i think you''ll get your best look with side stones of about .26 - .28ct in total, or 13/14 points each. you could stretch it to .3ctw for both stones, giving your ring .7ctw for the whole thing, but my feeling -and it''s only my opinion - is that .5ctw will overwhelm your central stone.

when i was first looking at these styles, i tried on a ring of this style in tiffany. it had a center stone of .98 ct, and side stones with a TOTAL weight of .35ct. that''s the more normal proportions for that style, tho perhaps a teensy bit smaller pears than normal. not much, tho. most people''s pears seem to total about 1/3 of the weight of their center stone. i''m suggesting pears that add up to 2/3 of the weight of the center stone. pears that are 1 1/4 times the weight of the center stone i think might overwhelm it.

again, this is just my opinion, but i *have* just done this and come to grief with it, so i''d suggest trying on all sorts of different versions of this ring; it can be quite tricky!

good luck!
Thank you for sharing your insights. This is very helpful to me. We may go to a B&M jeweler so we can get them to do for us, although I prefer good old gold. They seems very good and honorable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results