shape
carat
color
clarity

Lighting issues

puppylover10

Rough_Rock
I've read several posts saying that you shouldn't look at your diamond in direct sunlight because it turns dark. And while mine does do that, I also love the big (almost blinding)colorful flashes that come out of the diamond when in direct sunlight. Is there any lighting condition where you would get the same flares from the diamond without it going dark? Elevator/ home depot lights make my diamond sparkle like crazy but it gives off small sparkles within the diamond as opposed to big flares out of the diamond in direct sunlight.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go into the shade of a tree. The leaves will break out the sunlight into multiple spot lights.

puppylover10

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Will try that as soon as it gets sunny again.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You get big flares in direct sunlight because, first, the light is (really really) intense, and, second, the light comes from a high angle behind you and strikes pavilion main (arrow) facets.

At home depot, you have low intensity light coming from multiple light fixtures. That is why you see multiple sparkles instead of a single flare.

Try your smartphone LED flashlight in a completely dark room. You will see the arrows sizzle.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@flyingpig - would I be correct in thinking that SB or VSB fluorescence could potentially stop a stone going dark in strong sunlight, by creating an internal glow that lights up the stone from the inside?

I recall @Dancing Fire's octavia not looking dark in his sunlight photos!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've read several posts saying that you shouldn't look at your diamond in direct sunlight because it turns dark. And while mine does do that, I also love the big (almost blinding)colorful flashes that come out of the diamond when in direct sunlight. Is there any lighting condition where you would get the same flares from the diamond without it going dark? Elevator/ home depot lights make my diamond sparkle like crazy but it gives off small sparkles within the diamond as opposed to big flares out of the diamond in direct sunlight.
Any spotlighting I think. I find the grocery store particularly flashy. Propose in the grocery store.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think one should look at their diamond in all different kinds of lighting and enjoy the different light shows they display!
If one knows that a diamond looks different in different lighting there is no reason to be scared of any lighting!
The way kewl thing is if you dont like how it looks in one lighting you can always move it to a different one or change the lighting.
One really nice lady that worked at an office I did IT work for actually adjusted her desk lamps to get the best show from her bling.
She wore 5-10 rings per hand and a few bracelets every day.
Some people call that strange, I call it knowing what one loves and enjoying it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results