shape
carat
color
clarity

“An orange foreign material is present in surface reaching fractures”

Hello there... so here's my take. Heat high (i.e. detectable by a lab) is not required for fracture filling. It's possible then that the gem was oiled or otherwise clarity enhanced. Typically though, under the treatment section, the GIA would list "clarity enhanced," which they do not here. Another possibility is that polishing compound found its way into surface-reaching fractures during the cutting of the gem. And yet another possibility is that the "foreign substance" naturally found its way into fissures during the crystal's growth. It might be worthwhile to contact the GIA and ask. Interesting topic... thanks for sharing!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Hello there... so here's my take. Heat high (i.e. detectable by a lab) is not required for fracture filling. It's possible then that the gem was oiled or otherwise clarity enhanced. Typically though, under the treatment section, the GIA would list "clarity enhanced," which they do not here. Another possibility is that polishing compound found its way into surface-reaching fractures during the cutting of the gem. And yet another possibility is that the "foreign substance" naturally found its way into fissures during the crystal's growth. It might be worthwhile to contact the GIA and ask. Interesting topic... thanks for sharing!

Thank you. I found it strange that GIA didn’t mention it as clarity enhancement. The sellers focused on the “no heat” statement rather than the comment about “surface reaching fractures” with this “orange foreign material. Many of the rubies were listed at a high price because they were sold as non-heated.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if GIA is referring to naturally-occurring iron-stained surface reaching fractures ... the surface reaching fracture allow for entry of iron compounds resulting in orangey stain?

Yes, I wondered that too. But wouldn’t iron be something they could have easily identified? The comment is puzzling.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps it is this? SSEF has reported on oil in rubies with fissures.
Over the past few years, the SSEF has repeatedly seen gemstones (apart from emeralds) which contained fissures filled with oil or other fillers. These include rubies, sapphires, spinels, tourmalines, garnets and even rarities such as pezzottaite

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had a sapphire come back "unheated but with traces of borax." Apparently the borax was residue from it being set (I still don't really get it that). I had the stone removed from the setting and super deep cleaned, resubmitted and the borax was gone. So maybe that's what the orange is?

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I also found this Alert from Lotus Gemology. Sharing with everyone so that you don’t overpay for a fissure filled stone labelled as unheated.
Some in the "don't worry, be happy" camp have suggested that this is not deliberate oiling, but simply oil from the cutting/polishing process forced into fissures. Sadly, the evidence to date strongly suggests that this is not the case. First, oil is not commonly used in the cutting process for either ruby, sapphire or spinel. Second, we have seen filled fissures where the filler is so deep that it appears to have been applied via heating/vacuum. While we try to always maintain an open mind, the available evidence strongly suggests that this is being deliberately done to improve the appearance.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Came across a more severe form of this comment.

066b-600x440.jpg

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I had a sapphire come back "unheated but with traces of borax." Apparently the borax was residue from it being set (I still don't really get it that). I had the stone removed from the setting and super deep cleaned, resubmitted and the borax was gone. So maybe that's what the orange is?

Thank you for sharing your experience! Glad you managed to get rid of the borax. if the articles I shared above are correct, then the orange marterial isn’t borax,

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock

066b-600x440.jpg
Wow, thank you! That is much clearer and more disturbing.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for sharing your experience! Glad you managed to get rid of the borax. if the articles I shared above are correct, then the orange marterial isn’t borax,

Sorry I wasn't trying to imply it was borax but that it could be something that got there due to the setting process.

066b-600x440.jpg

Wow! That's a new one for me!!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Some obvious orange stains in this light pink corundum, dunno if it's the same type/cause as in rubies.
At least one stain looks like it may be in a surface reaching fracture in the video.
donefrontpadparadschasapphire2.91ct_grande.jpg

Some obvious orange stains in this light pink corundum, dunno if it's the same type/cause as in rubies.
At least one stain looks like it may be in a surface reaching fracture in the video.

Slightly O/T, but not that far back, someone was asking what the LMHC meant by this statement... "The name 'padparadscha sapphire' shall not be applied [if there is] the presence of yellow or orange epigenetic material in fissure(s) affecting the overall colour of the stone."

The above gem is the perfect example of this preclusion. That is an average (at best) purple-pink-gray sapphire with orange staining in the fissures. It's a bold move to call that a pad!

Anyway, I know that wasn't your point... carry on!! :rolleyes:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Slightly O/T, but not that far back, someone was asking what the LMHC meant by this statement... "The name 'padparadscha sapphire' shall not be applied [if there is] the presence of yellow or orange epigenetic material in fissure(s) affecting the overall colour of the stone."

The above gem is the perfect example of this preclusion. That is an average (at best) purple-pink-gray sapphire with orange staining in the fissures. It's a bold move to call that a pad!

Agreed it's not a padparadscha at all.

Here's another with one larger orange stain. Heated padparadscha per GIA.

Last edited:
Agreed it's not a padparadscha at all.

Here's another with one larger orange stain. Heated padparadscha per GIA.

Yes, a definite stain in this one as well! But, aside from that, the body color of the gem looks right, so I don't think it would preclude the gem from being designated a pad in this instance. I kind of sent this thread off in a tangent, lol, sorry. But I understand your point. There's lots of corundum with orange staining in fissures, apparently! I wonder if it's iron actually? The coloring agents in pad are chromium and iron. The finest grade rubies have high chromium and low or no iron. Darker rubies tends to have a higher iron content. Hmmm...

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock

Ooh, never seen anything like this. Thanks for sharing, @demantoidz. I agree with you and @Autumn in New England that it doesn’t like like a padparadscha sapphire .

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for sharing that past discussion @Autumn in New England. I must look it up!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, a definite stain in this one as well! But, aside from that, the body color of the gem looks right, so I don't think it would preclude the gem from being designated a pad in this instance. I kind of sent this thread off in a tangent, lol, sorry. But I understand your point. There's lots of corundum with orange staining in fissures, apparently! I wonder if it's iron actually? The coloring agents in pad are chromium and iron. The finest grade rubies have high chromium and low or no iron. Darker rubies tends to have a higher iron content. Hmmm...

I became curious about iron-staining after reading the replies from everyone on this thread. Thanks. I found a research article from the Gemological Institute of Thailand on iron stains in Mozambique ruby after heat treatment. This I understand . The GIA reports that prompted my initial post however, stated that the rubies in those cases were un-heated and that the material wasn’t identified (I think GIA would be to detect iron?) Anyway, here are the articles on iron stains after heating, just FYI.
Happy Easter weekend, if you are celebrating!

The iron-stained fractures in this representative sample of Mozambique ruby display a noticeable increase in orangey red coloration in the heated half (right side) compared to the untreated portion (left side). Photos by Y. Lhongsomboon. Initial state Heated 500°C Heated 600°C​

The full article is here;

I became curious about iron-staining after reading the replies from everyone on this thread. Thanks. I found a research article from the Gemological Institute of Thailand on iron stains in Mozambique ruby after heat treatment. This I understand . The GIA reports that prompted my initial post however, stated that the rubies in those cases were un-heated and that the material wasn’t identified (I think GIA would be to detect iron?) Anyway, here are the articles on iron stains after heating, just FYI.
Happy Easter weekend, if you are celebrating!

The iron-stained fractures in this representative sample of Mozambique ruby display a noticeable increase in orangey red coloration in the heated half (right side) compared to the untreated portion (left side). Photos by Y. Lhongsomboon. Initial state Heated 500°C Heated 600°C​

The full article is here;

This is so interesting, @AudreyC! Thank you for sharing it. Happy Easter to you as well, and to everyone!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The name 'padparadscha sapphire' shall not be applied [if there is] the presence of yellow or orange epigenetic material in fissure(s) affecting the overall colour of the stone."

"If I dip half my pink sapphire in orange paint, it's a padparadscha!"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results