shape
carat
color
clarity

How worried are you that you might get robbed wearing your bling out?

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I wonder often enough how dangerous it is to wear any large bling out and how much unwanted attention it might attract. I don't mean to instill fear in anyone by any means, but I ponder if anyone else shares this fear...

I'm referring to robberies of any kind... a sly pickpocket that slips your ER off without you even being aware, or GOD forbid, a gang that follows/corners you and demands to have your diamond earrings.

Am I being too paranoid?

For example, do those who live in larger metropolitan cities ride the subway without concern?

Should I think twice before bringing my ER and diamond studs to a city like Miami, Chicago or Manhattan?

(Note: I don't think these cities are particularly dangerous, but am using those as examples because they are a short flight away and a favorite weekend getaway from where I live, which is near Toronto).

I think it would help to put things into perspective if you include details on the size of your ER/studs/bling and the city you live in (if you feel comfortable doing so, that is). If you would rather not share those details, perhaps at least include the city in question?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore my 2.83ct stone in Downtown Dallas when I was working there (in an area that was up and coming, but had homeless and other "interesting" people about), and I think there was only one or two times walking to my car during an evening that I worked late that I turned my stone in. I also wore my stone on the DART (train) and only worried about it when I was generally worried about being on the train, not because of the ring on my finger.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As an offshoot of this question, do you feel that you can get a good deal while wearing large bling? I wonder about this because I am a bargain hunter.

My husband suggested getting a large CZ to see if I would feel comfortable wearing my large diamond that is currently unset. So I wore a 9 mm CZ when we went furniture shopping and I noticed that we were steered towards the most expensive mattresses they had. A couple who came in a little later than us (sans bling) were steered towards the lower priced mattresses. We went to two stores and the lack of transparency on prices and the pushing towards the most expensive furniture (mattress, chairs, sofas) was frustrating and I will probably just wait until the Black Friday sales and not wear bling (real or fake).

Last edited:

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As an offshoot of this question, do you feel that you can get a good deal while wearing large bling? I wonder about this because I am a bargain hunter.

My husband suggested getting a large CZ to see if I would feel comfortable wearing my large diamond that is currently unset. So I wore a 9 mm CZ when we went furniture shopping and I noticed that we were steered towards the most expensive mattresses they had. A couple who came in a little later than us (sans bling) were steered towards the lower priced mattresses. We went to two stores and the lack of transparency on prices and the pushing towards the most expensive furniture (mattress, chairs, sofas) was frustrating and I will probably just wait until the Black Friday sales and not wear bling (real or fake).
I have wondered the same. Usually, if I’m going shopping where negotiations are possible, I will tone down the jewelry and even use a no name purse. (My go to purses are usually Coach so the name is clearly visible.) It’s showing my age, but I think about the episode of the Cobsy Show where Dr. Huxtable goes to buy a new car and dresses in sweats so as not to give the salesperson the idea that he (and his attorney wife) make a very comfortable living. LOL!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am rather annoyed that nobody notices - not that I'd want to be noticed; such is the paradox of bling ,)

Same! When I go shopping I never get help because I look like a hobo or either too young to buy anything but I always wear my big bling...most likely they think it’s fake lol

My SIL has had her huge rock longer and she’s is a bit more petite in frame than me, she at first worried about being robbed but she has now worn the ring for 10+ years and doesn’t think twice about it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. That isn’t me!! Why would someone repost this thread under their own name? It’s also their first post. This is too strange.

Probably because the person is a spammer. ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ice empress to answer your original question (copying from the reply I posted in the other post):

I can only answer from my perspective but if one has jewelry that one loves it would be a shame not to wear and enjoy it.

I live in NYC and I ride the subway and just turn my rings in towards my palm and keep my hands out of view. In winter it's easy as I am always wearing gloves but in the warmer weather I just turn my rings in. I am cautious but not afraid and I am smart but not living in fear. I wear and enjoy my bling but am always aware of what is going on around me.

So you can see where this is heading haha. I say wear your ER and your studs and enjoy them! I wouldn't travel anywhere with my bling but certainly I feel NYC and other major metropolitan cities are relatively safe as long as you are smart about it and don't flash your bling around.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm mostly of the "insure them and enjoy them" camp for domestic travel, but I do drop them off for a staycation at the bank when I go abroad.

At some point... bling that's sufficiently big and mismatched relative to age, clothing, etc. just looks fake. I apparently look young enough, dress poorly enough, or both that my earrings seem to attract no attention at all!

Last edited:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm mostly of the "insure them and enjoy them" camp for domestic travel, but I do drop them off for a staycation at the bank when I go abroad.

At some point... bling that's sufficiently big and mismatched relative to age, clothing, etc. just looks fake. I apparently either look young enough, dress poorly enough, or both that my earrings seem to attract no attention at all!
That's a shame, if I recall from previous posts you have somme pretty amazing EW creations. You would think I was some wierdo, because I wouldn't be able to stop staring at those beauties!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not bragging here, but I’ve travelled all over the world, and I wear my jewellery wherever I go. Obviously, I don’t go into ‘rough’ areas, but everything’s insured and what’s the point of having nice things if you don’t wear them?

Like Missy, if I’m worried, I just turn the ring round. I do see people looking at Bella, but they probably don’t think she’s real, as most people here don’t have big bling :lol:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really think about it, but I also don't go out alone at night (unless it's absolutely unavoidable)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not worried. I know this sounds corny but I adjust my stance according to location and situation. Something I learned in self defense training.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I worry more about losing things. So I make sure to only bring stuff traveling that’s easily replaced. Plus, being Canadian too, I have to admit that I worry sometimes about being able to prove on re-entry that something isn’t new and therefore taxable.

That said, I don’t wear expensive stuff when traveling in disadvantaged countries. I wear my wedding set (that’s very modest by PS standards), silver, and costume jewelry in Mexico and most of the Caribbean.

My experience in large US centers has also been that the locals tend to outbling us anyway. And for really big stones, unless it’s an engagement ring, people assume it’s faux. Especially earrings.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had my engagement ring “admired” as a CZ ring from China because ‘diamonds don’t come that big”. Sigh.
But no, I don’t think average random thieves think of stealing your diamonds. They want stuff they understand and easily turned to cash, ie your mobile phone, or your wallet.
But I do agree salespeople “size you up” according to how you look. Years ago my Dad was browsing in a speciality Hi Fi store. He was wearing his weekend “overalls” the type car mechanics wear.
This sales guy apparently approached and advised Dad that “the section over there might be more in his price range!”. Then when Dad indicated that he required assistance, the “newbie salesperson” was sent over to him.
The senior salespeople figured Dad was just a “tire kicker’ and their time too precious to waste. So Dad then buys the most expensive set up in the store and the newbie gets all the commission and kudos.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a guy maybe I have a different viewpoint. I've only been in a handful of situations where I was outnumbered and things looked bleak. Nothing came of the matters but I was relieved to see some others show up that could help.

I'm less worried about the jewelry loss and more worried about the physical and/or emotional damage that a potential thief may cause for my fiancee, or any lady. Like it or not most women are physically smaller and weaker and consequently can be forced into submission. Insurance can replace your jewelry but not your life or emotional security.

For those reasons I am constantly aware of my surroundings and would rather my fiancee go blingless in certain scenarios than take the risk. If I'm with her I worry much less.

FWIW, a few years back I traveled to NYC with a female friend that had a 2 carat rock and she garnished no attention. We were on the subways, etc frequently where I would not have allowed her to travel alone personally.

LOL, now about treatment. As a guy, wear a suit and sales people and women are naturally attracted to you. So yes I think dress and jewelry makes a difference.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Where I live I never worry about it. There is very little crime here.

I kept the cz ring I bought last year for the cruise so if I go anywhere new and was ever worried I would wear that. If a robber wanted my 60$ berricle- they can have it. :lol:

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I've enjoyed reading all the comments and stories. Seems most aren't overly concerned or worried about theft (while using common sense awareness of course).

@kindred a large ring or looking "well off" certainly doesn't help for getting a bargain. Salespeople would generally assume you don't need your money as much as the next person. As someone who works really hard for every dollar I earn, I would argue that simply isn't fair or just. Though I may not "need" my dollar as much as the next person, I still value each and every dollar I worked so hard to earn.

@KKJohnson since you mentioned "never getting help because I look like a hobo", I have a funny story. A few months ago, I walked into the flagship Chanel store in Toronto just to browse and was quickly approached by a newbie salesperson for assistance. He had just started the day before and was particularly keen. I was dressed as "hobo" as one could dress... torn jeans (not because they're fashionable, but because I've had them for over 10 years), dirty running shoes, and a $30 H&M oversized shapeless sweater. Had this young man not approached me, I am going to hazard a guess that I would have waited quite a while before being attended to.

Two hours later, I was walking out of the Chanel store with 2 new purses, 2 wallets, and some jewelry!!

Never judge a book by its cover!

;)2

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Isn't interesting how most don't worry about wearing their bling in their hometowns but then take them off to travel, though the city they're visiting is someone else's hometown, where that other person doesn't think twice about wearing their own bling??

For example, I would likely not bring my ER to travel in Europe, but meanwhile, the French/Spanish/Swiss/etc ladies are rocking their own rings in those countries.

It's all about perspective...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't interesting how most don't worry about wearing their bling in their hometowns but then take them off to travel, though the city they're visiting is someone else's hometown, where that other person doesn't think twice about wearing their own bling??

For example, I would likely not bring my ER to travel in Europe, but meanwhile, the French/Spanish/Swiss/etc ladies are rocking their own rings in those countries.

This is very true. I don't think twice about wearing bling where I live bc it's super safe, but do not wear much bling when I am back in London. However, my nieces - who live there - sport their 2ct erings with Rolex watches etc freely.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I grew up and lived in a city that is still consistently ranked among the worst in the US. Yet when I travel back home I still feel as safe as I did when I lived there. Maybe it's less to do with perspective and more to do with being familiar with the right and wrong areas, being aware of your surroundings and what to expect.

I live in a town now that is so safe it's boring. LOL, I know that sounds silly to say but I was living in a neighborhood where the residents would literally call the police for people parking on the curb too close to a fire hydrant. :roll

Also, depending which foreign country you travel too, your jewels may be safer than others. Sometimes it's just better to NOT attract certain attention to yourself. Many countries dislike Americans and Canadians.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I tend to be cautious when getting in and out of my car and I do turn my ring when I'm in public, such as in a parking lot or a store even though I live in a very safe area. I don't want to call attention to myself, yet I'd prefer to wear my jewelry than to keep it in a safe.
I tend to wear basic pieces during the week and wear my more special pieces when I go out on the weekends.
I agree that people often judge others by their appearance so I learned very early on that whenever negotiating the price of something it's best not to flaunt your possessions or you may not get the best price and maybe even get taken advantage of.
I think it's important to know what's appropriate in a given situation and adjust the bling-factor to each scenario!

Q

Queenie60

I'm always a bit cautious and aware of my surroundings. I live in a very upscale town and there are robbers hanging out at the local Safeway store and swiping women's purses off of their shoulders. I was at a 49'r football game a few years ago with my friend from Germany, while standing outside of my car so that the could smoke (o_O) - here comes a guy on his bicycle. Almost ran into me - I was aware of his approach and turned my body - he wanted to rip my solitaire necklace off of my neck. That would have been a tragedy. I try to be aware of my surroundings.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, but they may not be PSer size. ;)). FYI, The avg. PSer ring (center stone only) is 1.22ct

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, but they may not be PSer size. ;)). FYI, The avg. PSer ring (center stone only) is 1.22ct

Oh, I’ve always wondered what the average might be. How was this number determined?

What do you figure the average is in the general public?

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I'm always a bit cautious and aware of my surroundings. I live in a very upscale town and there are robbers hanging out at the local Safeway store and swiping women's purses off of their shoulders. I was at a 49'r football game a few years ago with my friend from Germany, while standing outside of my car so that the could smoke (o_O) - here comes a guy on his bicycle. Almost ran into me - I was aware of his approach and turned my body - he wanted to rip my solitaire necklace off of my neck. That would have been a tragedy. I try to be aware of my surroundings.

Interesting. One would probably tend to feel falsely safer in an upscale neighbourhood, but these are good reminders not to ever let your guard down!!

My mother once witnessed in Italy (many years ago in the 70s) a man ride by on a Vespa and swipe a woman’s fur coat right off her back! She was walking along the sidewalk with the coat draped over her shoulders... he simply rode up next to her, reached his hand out, and poof, he was gone down the street with her coat in his lap!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. One would probably tend to feel falsely safer in an upscale neighbourhood, but these are good reminders not to ever let your guard down!!

Sadly this is true. I had custom built a home a few years back. Homes were in a neighborhood but of 1-2 acre lot sizes. Homes were in the 3,000-4,000sf range and above average. I refrain from stating dollars because property values vary widely on location. Needless to say it was a super safe area.

At the time I had a Jeep Wrangler and had went out mudding and offroading in it. I had full metal doors and dual tops (soft and hard) but had used the soft top that day as I wanted some protection from elements but had taken the zippered windows out. Not to mention anytime you run a soft top you don't lock your Jeep as a thief will just cut the top for access.

That night my dog had woke me up but i was tired and instead of doing my normal sweep with my guns I ignored it. The next morning I came out to discover my driver side door was ajar. I looked inside and noticed the glove box was down and my owners manual was gone. Things were gone through but I kept nothing of real value there. I was about to make a call when I realized I had left my phone and camera (got some killer shots of Jeep action as I had went with friends) in the Jeep overnight.

I kicked myself for not getting up when my dog barked. My side entry garage and driveway was just a few steps away and i would have caught them I believe. Normally I parked in the garage but didn't that night as I wanted to clean it up first and ran out of light.

I talked to a few neighbors and they noticed oddities around their place but nothing missing. What bothered me wasn't the value of the stuff I lost but the fact someone invaded my space and privacy. It was such a feeling of violation. Living outside city limits I called the Sherriff and filed a police report. He confirmed others in the area had done the same and had similar stories. He gave me about zero hope of finding them and chalked it up to poor kids stealing trivial things from nice neighborhoods.

I was venting about the whole thing on my Jeep forum (many which were local and we wheeled together). I got a PM from one asking for my phone number. An hour or so later I had an address where my phone was located. I was asked if a group needed formed to help resolve or if I had it on my own. Yeah, don't mess with Jeepers, we are a tight community, lol. I bypassed the lynching mob and wanted to do my own recon. It was some late teen to early 20 boys that lived a few miles away in a ran down place. Despite my anger i decided they needed the money more than I did. Oddly enough, a few days afterwards I got a call from the sheriffs office stating they caught them and had found a few of my items.

Eventually I had to go to court to testify those were my items so I could retrieve. While there i was stuck in a room full of people waiting. I started making new friends and discovered we were all there for the same reason and person. Later they dismissed us, allowed us to collect the things they could retrieve and said the defendants had made a plea deal.

I only got my phone back. A few months later I checked the mail and had received a check for a few dollars of restitution money for items stolen from me on behalf of the defendant. I got a few more over the next few months as I guess the defendants was doing jail time and working off the value of items stolen.

Yes, this is small crime overall but it feels the same when it happens. Living or being in safe areas with dollars don't protect you. And rarely do you get anywhere close to the happy ending of my story. Oh yeah and I'm still pissed I didn't get my camera and those action shots, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results