shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we find a PS-quality 1ct for $3000USD? (including plain WG setting)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair I think this goes back to the question what does your friend/your friend's SO value most? Assuming excellent cut, is it color/size, clarity the next most important thing?
Also, I have found that many people don't really know what diamond sizes look like. I have many acquaintances IRL who think that their stone is "about a carat". On the other hand, you have PSers who can estimate sizes pretty accurately. The question is what kind of person is she?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, the biggest diamond found has been a BN 0.85ct J stone. Below is a comparison of this to the WF 0.744ct.

We can debate about which stone is right, etc. But the fact remains the 0.744ct represents the average of what has been posted. The 0.85 is the largest but probably wouldn't work because of J color. There was a 0.82ct that was I and had good angles that could work.

Using actual dimensions there is about 0.20mm difference between the WF & BN stones. This is right at the point the (normal) human eye can detect a size difference. We are talking about 1/256th of an inch. Is it noticeable side by side? Yes. Do I walk away going, "wow, that 0.85 was so much bigger" or even remembering a size difference if I saw one and then I saw the other for a few seconds? Nope.

Capture.PNG

Also, another trick to make the diamond appear bigger is to couple with a slim band like I previously found but with an inverse taper so the ring gets smaller as it approaches the diamond. WF has some but they are considerably more than the $245 of the Ritani I posted. I haven't looked on Ritani's site to see if they have one like I am talking about, but this is what I had in mind (chicken scratch to the rescue, lol).

ritani_mod.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's fine to have expectations of 1 carat. But not one of fine make AND at 3K. I think the stones you are showing him are really nice for the price. I think if you are compromising anywhere I would compromise on size than on cut quality or clarity issues.
Also those 6 prong settings which are set up a little higher will also make the stone look bigger.

ETA I had an ideal cut diamond in a semi bezel setting and someone who complimented it said "what is that, a carat?" It was .47 carats.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he visit the US regularly? It sounds like the SO may be a US resident. Just seems logical to me to pick a killer stone online, have shipped to a trusted US family/friend and pop the question here and avoid all the international hassle and taxes.

While not a massive amount of money, it would be very helpful to boost his limited budget.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you recommend at least .85 for something to not disappoint? Curious what the minimum someone could get away with who expecting a carat
Buy her a .75ct then tell her it is a 1ct. :devil:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy her a .75ct then tell her it is a 1ct. :devil:

LOL, that's right. Girl math works with diamonds too.

My girl is 2.75 years younger than me. She calls me old and says she's 3 years younger to people. For 3 months I'm only 2 years older according to her. :lol:

She's smart too. Has a masters, but rounds stuff all the time.

So yeah...0.75ct = 1ct. :devil:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I see this kind of desire along with an unrealistic budget, it makes me think a talk in in order so expectations can be adjusted so that disappointment can be avoided!

I think you'll be in the .70 range if you want I color. I think that is a good compromise.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are AMAZING!!! Also thanks for the reality check! It’s all my fault- I should’ve phrased it better. Truly what I meant was: let’s see how close to 1ct we can get with this limited budget! :lol: And you guys have done BEAUTIFULLY! So many killer options! I’m picking his brain now to get some more info on which “C” he values most, and I’ll be back ASAP :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I’m thinking an “I” colour is safer. I really like the J’s but I think the average gal would probably be happier with an “I”.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I’m thinking an “I” colour is safer. I really like the J’s but I think the average gal would probably be happier with an “I”.

I'm glad to see there are talks in progress. I don't mind trying to find deals but the previous assumptions were not realistic.

As far as color, I'd say he really needs to understand her and his color sensitivity. I bought my girl an H thinking it was safe but it wasn't. Had I known how sensitive she was I would have targeted a D/E.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My initial look shows that Yadav is the place to look for a stone in the price and size range. I haven't started a more detailed search there yet.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@scarsmum I'm sorry, but I don't like either of those choices. Neither fit into ideal specs or would be considered PS quality, IMHO.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second the suggestion of Yadav by @scarsmum. They seem to have the lowest prices going right now, along with Parcel and Stone and FourMine. Doing a search on RareCarat for diamonds above .75 carat, SI1 clarity or better, and I color or better, I came up with these options under $2600. All are above .8 carat (I don't think you're going to hit .9 carat with decent cut for under $2600)

.80 carat I/VS2
Probably the most "PriceScope quality" of the bunch. Already has an ASET that looks great. Color does look kind of funky though. I would confirm with them what the undertone is before committing:
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamon...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rarecarat

.81 carat I/VS2
Also a good option if the above ends up having a weird color. Similar to the first in cut, color, and clarity, and color undertone is definitely yellow:
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/D185-64A?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2017

.82 carat G/SI1
Not sure if it would be eye-clean enough, and the medium blue fluor would need to be checked out, but potentially higher color option:
https://parcelandstone.com/diamond/...728045954?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

.85 carat I/VS2
Largest of the bunch, and largest well-cut option I could find within the I color and SI1 clarity restraints, but appears to have a brown undertone from the video. If he's OK with brown/champagne color, then this would be a great option:
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/D180-76A?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2017

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah, and one more that I really like. While there is no picture, I think it has potential judging by the GIA certificate (40.8 PA and 34.0 CA with a 57% table usually make for a great combo). It also has a lower depth, so would face up the same size as the .85 carat posted above (6.02X6.05mm). And at VS1 clarity, you can be sure it would be eye clean (if his fiancé-to-be ends up being picky about the clarity). Would be worth asking for a picture/video:

.80 carat I/VS1
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamo...ce=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2017

FourMine has cheap four and six-prong classic solitaires starting at $200 (or you can spring for platinum for $410 ;-) ):
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/engag...e-diamond-engagement-ring?metal=150&shape=167

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the suggestion of Yadav by @scarsmum. They seem to have the lowest prices going right now, along with Parcel and Stone and FourMine. Doing a search on RareCarat for diamonds above .75 carat, SI1 clarity or better, and I color or better, I came up with these options under $2600. All are above .8 carat (I don't think you're going to hit .9 carat with decent cut for under $2600)

.80 carat I/VS2
Probably the most "PriceScope quality" of the bunch. Already has an ASET that looks great. Color does look kind of funky though. I would confirm with them what the undertone is before committing:
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamon...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rarecarat

.81 carat I/VS2
Also a good option if the above ends up having a weird color. Similar to the first in cut, color, and clarity, and color undertone is definitely yellow:
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/D185-64A?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2017

.82 carat G/SI1
Not sure if it would be eye-clean enough, and the medium blue fluor would need to be checked out, but potentially higher color option:
https://parcelandstone.com/diamond/...728045954?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

.85 carat I/VS2
Largest of the bunch, and largest well-cut option I could find within the I color and SI1 clarity restraints, but appears to have a brown undertone from the video. If he's OK with brown/champagne color, then this would be a great option:
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/D180-76A?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2017

You like that 35.5/40.6 angle combo as all them had that.

My comments:
  • 0.80ct - Color is odd. ASET looks pretty good overall, but not perfect. Worth considering, although not sure it has a distinct advantage. For $100 more you can get the 0.744ct WF super ideal with better angles, true H&A, no odd color, etc.
  • 0.81ct - Similar comments to above. Also cut deep @ 62.6%.
  • 0.82ct - Nice color bump. Cut even deeper than the previous @ 62.7%.
  • 0.85ct - Pushing the depth @ 62.4% and also angles @ 35.5/40.6. Slight size bump over the 0.744 WF super ideal by about 0.10mm. FYI, it takes about 0.20mm to see a visual difference so in many ways it "sounds better" but you can't see the size increase. IMO, no advantage.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, and one more that I really like. While there is no picture, I think it has potential judging by the GIA certificate (40.8 PA and 34.0 CA with a 57% table usually make for a great combo). It also has a lower depth, so would face up the same size as the .85 carat posted above (6.02X6.05mm). And at VS1 clarity, you can be sure it would be eye clean (if his fiancé-to-be ends up being picky about the clarity). Would be worth asking for a picture/video:

.80 carat I/VS1
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamo...ce=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2017

FourMine has cheap four and six-prong classic solitaires starting at $200 (or you can spring for platinum for $410 ;-) ):
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/engag...e-diamond-engagement-ring?metal=150&shape=167

Agree, the angles and depth on this one is better than the others. Love the VS1 clarity. Comes with a premium though. This one is about $100 more than the WF 0.744ct and dimensions are virtually the same.

To meet budget and get quality cut, I see no distinct advantage to this stone over the super ideal. However, if high clarity was a concern, this may fit the bill assuming the ASET/IS passes.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree, the angles and depth on this one is better than the others. Love the VS1 clarity. Comes with a premium though. This one is about $100 more than the WF 0.744ct and dimensions are virtually the same.

To meet budget and get quality cut, I see no distinct advantage to this stone over the super ideal. However, if high clarity was a concern, this may fit the bill assuming the ASET/IS passes.

I'm not really a fan of the .744 WF stone that you posted, as it looks cloudy in the video. Of the stones you posted, I like the .743 I/VS2 the best. Looks very nice in the video and has nothing concerning about it:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3660694.htm

But that one is $300 more than the .8 carat I/VS1 from FourMine and .2mm smaller. So yes, there is an advantage to purchasing from the open market, in that you can get a higher clarity, non-cloudy stone that is larger for a lower price.

That being said, the OP would need to request a video of that .8 I/VS1, as angles alone don't tell the whole store, but it would definitely be my preference if the video checks out.

If not, then I like either the .743 I/VS2 from WhiteFlash (if the OP can up the budget a bit and thinks that the SuperIdeal label is important to them) or the .81 carat I/VS2 from FourMine.

You also can't discount the mental aspect of carat weight. I know that face-up size is really all that matters in a literal appearance sense, but many women want a specific carat weight. There's something about ".8" that just sounds better than ".7X"

If the OP's friend's fiancé really wants a 1 carat (which we still need to confirm what he and she want) then getting as close to that carat weight as possible while still having a decent cut is probably preferable.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you recommend at least .85 for something to not disappoint? Curious what the minimum someone could get away with who expecting a carat

This is a good question. I guess it is different for every woman. Technically, if the woman is expecting a carat, then that is what she wants: A carat. I know it seems silly, but I think that people's wishes should be respected. This is definitely something that couple should have a conversation about beforehand though, because the woman may fall into one of two camps

There's a difference between a woman who wants "oh, about a carat" because that's what she thinks might be an OK size based on asking a few of her friends,

And a woman who definitely wants a carat and "It better damn-well be a carat because I've been dreaming about this since I was 3 years old and don't you ruin my dreams."

If she's part of the former camp, who just kind of wanted it, then by talking to her beforehand and telling her "We could get a diamond with a much better cut, that would look twice as good as a maul store bargain bin 1 carat, if we stay in the .8-.9 carat range" then she'll probably be on board with it.

But if she is part of the latter camp, for whom nothing but 1 carat will do, then no amount of telling her "But, but, look at the quality!" will probably appease her if you get her a .9 carat Ideal cut without consulting with her first, because that is not what she wanted.

So TLDR: Talk to the woman about expectations and why she wants a carat.

Purely from a "can you tell the difference?" standpoint though, most people can begin to see a difference at around .2mm diameter, so something in the .9 carat range would be difficult to tell apart from a 1 carat unless you held them side-by-side... But a .9 carat is still not a 1 carat. ;-)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she wants 1 carat, but he can't afford it...then he needs to talk to her and or buy a stone from a vendor with an excellent upgrade policy. That way, they can get to a carat when they save a bit more.

This is not perfect from a clarity perspective, but it gets them into WF with a better upgrade option.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3949675.htm {5.87 mm)

I like this one better.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3963061.htm (5.71 mm)

Playing with your criteria to maximize size...

But, if size is still the primary goal, this gets you to a larger spread with good performance.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4747753 {5.96 mm)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5356218 {this gets you over 6 mm at 6.02 mm, but its a J)

***apologies if these have already been posted, phone is giving me trouble with embedded links***

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with you @rockysalamander about them having a talk if this is even a potential issue.

While the title asked for a 1 carat, the OP started posting 0.70-0.80ct options herself. Later, she clarified in a different post it didn't have to be 1 carat but as reasonably close as possible while getting a great cut and staying at an I+ color.

Looking at big picture perspective, I think WF or similar stones myself and Rocky posted are better choices. It guarantees a great performing stone and an upgrade program that allows them to easily scale up as finances allow. Basing stone choice on a dimension that is negligible at best and/or because it sounds better just seems illogical.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apologies again for creating the misinformation that my friend or his girl needed to have a 1ct! Very poor phrasing on my part, but in reality we just want to maximize size :) without totally sacrificing quality. I’m talking to IDJ today but I really like the options posted! I’ll update later today :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No need to apologize @pearaffair.

You mentioned you were having conversations about the importance level of the various C's. Did you get a clear directive on that so we can focus our search better?

FYI, I think IDJ will have the best shot of hitting size target if they utilize stones without certs. While that certainly fixes the "right now" issue, it may cripple the long term vision. As we know, desires change as life clicks on. It will be much harder to sell/trade/upgrade a stone with no certification than a GIA or AGS graded stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander was it you who posted that really informative chart about relative spread of different cuts? I think that's really helpful to anyone trying to maximize size on a budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results