shape
carat
color
clarity

Mozambique Amazonite

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So GLAD there is more clarity in this mystery..... thanks to your efforts!!! I'm wondering is there any way to know for sure about the 'luster treatment'. I'm wondering if GIA would give you info as to what this "luster" process is specific to Amazonite and how long it's been around?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's a coating as well if it's luster.

Thanks for the efforts and updates! We all learn something new everyday and with every post :)

Rough_Rock
I'm excited for you:appl:

GIA; Like emerald, jadeite is often treated to improve its appearance. Some of these treatments are considered common in the trade, such as a very light waxing of the surface called luster enhancement; others are controversial, like dyeing or bleaching followed by impregnation with a polymer.

Now I will purchase some of that 'new' Amazonite material as well :P2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soaking in acetone is a destructive test. You have to be prepared that things could go wrong with your piece so please don't do it if you are not prepared for the bangle to get destroyed or change in case acetone reacts to a treatment. Often a close loupe inspection could detect dye marks. Are you suspicious that your bangle is dyed or polymer impregnated?

If you suspect glass, I do other tests on that such as thermal conductivity test or refractive index test or use the spectroscope. A destructive way to test glass is through a scratch test. Acetone won't do anything to glass.

Thanks Seaglow!

I will post pictures and a history of this bangle in it's own thread to get your opinions when I have time! I'm not sure what to think of it!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's a photo under loupe of the bead I soaked in acetone. I didn't clean it so you see white marks. Hardly noticeable without a loupe. This is a very beautiful material, and I've placed the bracelet beside a gem silica from Ray Mine, Arizona.

Some traders noticed the bracelet and concluded that they are dyed agate, etc., when I said amazonite, they didn't believe as apparently, many dyed agates of this color are in China though I've seen those material and can tell that the transluscent amazonite is different. Not sure how this find will last. I remember the dark pink Madagascan Rose Quartz. They used to be bountiful a few years back but now they're gone. Some are available in cab form now but not anymore in bead strands. Also attaching a photo of the deep pink rose quartz with a bracelet with the usual color of rose quartz.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a photo under loupe of the bead I soaked in acetone. I didn't clean it so you see white marks. Hardly noticeable without a loupe. This is a very beautiful material, and I've placed the bracelet beside a gem silica from Ray Mine, Arizona.

Some traders noticed the bracelet and concluded that they are dyed agate, etc., when I said amazonite, they didn't believe as apparently, many dyed agates of this color are in China though I've seen those material and can tell that the transluscent amazonite is different. Not sure how this find will last. I remember the dark pink Madagascan Rose Quartz. They used to be bountiful a few years back but now they're gone. Some are available in cab form now but not anymore in bead strands. Also attaching a photo of the deep pink rose quartz with a bracelet with the usual color of rose quartz.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg
Seaglow, thanks for posting this! It's interesting to see it next to a gem silica . You are right about supplies not lasting infinitely. It might be worth buying more at this price. I love the dark rose quartz strand! How beautiful. I've not seen that color on the market recently.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz Hubby (the pink loving fiend) wants to buy me this as a present.

Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Ros...Bangle-AAAA-Inner-Diameter-56mm-/322711768679
First, it's got a great color! Rose quartz is typically going to be more fragile, especially around fracture lines. I've heard that rose quartz bangles have great energy.
Re: the seller, I've not had any problems with them personally with the beads which I bought, but @Tourmaline purchased some bangles from them that were not the exact ones pictured , though still lovely, and also they did not have good customer service when they broke. She bought other bangles from Rikoo, who seems to have better customer service and they sell rose quartz bangles too. Just FYI .

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, it's got a great color! Rose quartz is typically going to be more fragile, especially around fracture lines. I've heard that rose quartz bangles have great energy.
Re: the seller, I've not had any problems with them personally with the beads which I bought, but @Tourmaline purchased some bangles from them that were not the exact ones pictured , though still lovely, and also they did not have good customer service when they broke. She bought other bangles from Rikoo, who seems to have better customer service and they sell rose quartz bangles too. Just FYI .

Ahh bugger! I liked the one in the link I posted! And it's 56mm which is better for my wrist that a 59 which I found on Rikoo

http://www.rikoo.com/pro/2804668.html

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh bugger! I liked the one in the link I posted! And it's 56mm which is better for my wrist that a 59 which I found on Rikoo

http://www.rikoo.com/pro/2804668.html
You can always just go for it. I would ask if youre receiving the exact bangle pictures so they know that is what you want. No guarantee that they will do it though. Buying online always has risks. Again, I personally have had no problems with what I got from them and I've known of others who have purchased from them without issue. They have not been accommodating to some complaints though.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your hubby is awesome. Pink is so under appreciated by men :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your hubby is awesome. Pink is so under appreciated by men :)

He LOVES pink! He even has a Rose Gold coloured Iphone :lol:

I like to wear a pink dress out on our dates when I can! He's currently trying to con me to add more pink stoned rings to my collection instead of all the green!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually the second has some too, but not across from eachother, which I believe makes it stronger. Most rose quartz bangles will have these, but where they are makes a difference.

IMG_5151.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you ask them for one with as few fractures as possible?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz you are awesome!!!

I've sent them an email about whether I would be getting the exact bangle. I rather like the colour of the two that I posted! Your post is making me lean to the second one now since it is cheaper as well!

I wish I could tow all you ladies out jade shopping with me!!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can always just go for it. I would ask if youre receiving the exact bangle pictures so they know that is what you want. No guarantee that they will do it though.

I've sent them an email about whether I would be getting the exact bangle.

I sent them notes asking that specifically. They LIED. Flat out lied. In four separate instances. LIES. They do not even have the bangles that are in the photos. When you want to return something, they'll say "God shame you." When their item breaks, they will offer to sell you another one for $5 off, without any apologies for the lies. You have been warned.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to follow up on purchases that I made from this vendor. I ordered beads, and they did not look as they did in the vendor's pictures. The vendor refused to provide a return shipping label even though the items were not as pictured. I ended up paying for the return to China myself, and had to remind the vendor to refund me. Fortunately, the vendor did refund me after the reminder. I'm glad I paid using PayPal, now that they have a more generous policy rewarding returns.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let’s revisit this topic. This material has flooded eBay and it now widely available and inexpensive. So what’s going on? I see bangles made of it, and they’re so beautiful. How can they be real and so inexpensive???

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let’s revisit this topic. This material has flooded eBay and it now widely available and inexpensive. So what’s going on? I see bangles made of it, and they’re so beautiful. How can they be real and so inexpensive???

Early last year, the material came out but not too many. @Bluegemz sent a bead sample to GIA and it came back as luster enhanced (must have been waxed).

GIA around mid last year released this article so the recent, cheap ones are most likely polymer impregnated.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/fall-2017-gemnews-impregnated-amazonite

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was probably inevitable. People enventually find a way to treat stones except in rare exceptions.

Hi ladies! So happy to have found these posts! I have ordered 4 amazonite bracelets so far. The Mozambique one is as beautiful as the pics but I see some chipping of some sort around the stretchy part of bracelet (where the holes are and the stretch cord is inserted). I took some pics. Does anybody know if this means the stones aren't real? Or if it means they have been coated with something?
20180527_205711.jpg 20180527_205723.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies! So happy to have found these posts! I have ordered 4 amazonite bracelets so far. The Mozambique one is as beautiful as the pics but I see some chipping of some sort around the stretchy part of bracelet (where the holes are and the stretch cord is inserted). I took some pics. Does anybody know if this means the stones aren't real? Or if it means they have been coated with something?
20180527_205711.jpg 20180527_205723.jpg
I can’t say for sure, but it could be friction wear because they are a feldspar variety, which is not the toughest of stones. When I had an Amazonite bead tested by GIA, the report indicated that they were polished with wax only on the surface, which was great news for such gorgeous material! . However, since there have been reports of impregnating with other substances, likely a polymer.( this is a process that involves acid soaking to open the stone, and then forcing material into the depth of the stone.) Apparently, there is a lot of cheap material flooding the market, which could be treated. My guess would be that polymer impregnated material might have a more even surface , but I have no way of knowing. It’s a lovely bracelet BTW!

Last edited:
I can’t say for sure, but it could be friction wear because they are a feldspar variety, which is not the toughest of stones. When I had an Amazonite bead tested by GIA, the report indicated that they were polished with wax only on the surface, which was great news for such gorgeous material! . However, since there have been reports of impregnating with other substances, likely a polymer.( this is a process that involves acid soaking to open the stone, and then forcing material into the depth of the stone.) Apparently, there is a lot of cheap material flooding the market, which could be treated. My guess would be that polymer impregnated material might have a more even surface , but I have no way of knowing. It’s a lovely bracelet BTW!

Thank you! I'll have to read up on what your talking about. My other amazonites dont have that issue. By the way, do you know what the white w/black streaks stone is in this bracelet? I found this one at Nordstrom. I think its Amazonite but dont know what the white one is
20180527_210239.jpg

Dee-dee

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am interested in this stone as well. I asked a bead seller from China on Etsy if she has any strands. This is what she sent as a reply...The stone is natural, but Sulphuric acid-treated it translucent. I also asked for more information but she said she just knows because all the manufacturers are in her area. She said she only sells natural stones so don’t carry.
Thank you! I'll have to read up on what your talking about. My other amazonites dont have that issue. By the way, do you know what the white w/black streaks stone is in this bracelet? I found this one at Nordstrom. I think its Amazonite but dont know what the white one is
20180527_210239.jpg

Dee-dee

Rough_Rock
I’m knew to this community. Found this thread looking for info in ice amazonite. Not much info to be found. Most people that sell it are not responding to my questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results