shape
carat
color
clarity

Look at what showed up at my house on Sunday

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad for the good news. Glad you are keeping her safe and fed until she goes somewhere more "secure" Nervewracking isn't it?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby is a very bad dog! I used to spell that (the bad dog stuff) with Griffin, since I didn't want to hurt his feelings. And sometimes I used synonyms for which he would not know the meaning. Besides being dirty and huge and drooling a lot, Newfies are very sensitive. One cannot yell at them. One cannot let one's guests yell at them. They have to be protected. The dog I had before Griffin (a Lab) was very sturdy. You could have hit him with a brick-I probably should have done that-and he wouldn't have cared. But Griffin was a tender flower!

Deb :wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby is a very bad dog! I used to spell that (the bad dog stuff) with Griffin, since I didn't want to hurt his feelings. And sometimes I used synonyms for which he would not know the meaning. Besides being dirty and huge and drooling a lot, Newfies are very sensitive. One cannot yell at them. One cannot let one's guests yell at them. They have to be protected. The dog I had before Griffin (a Lab) was very sturdy. You could have hit him with a brick-I probably should have done that-and he wouldn't have cared. But Griffin was a tender flower!

Oh my gosh Chows are the same way. My big black fluffy guy gets his feelers hurt if I even raise my voice. He knows when he is a bad dog, which is hardly ever. But if you are mean to or hit a Chow you may get a very bad reaction with teeth. Just one more thing to remember about owning them. Mine is a lovey and I could never hurt him.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, boy, Ruby! You clearly are a smart girl, going back to whitewave, but stay there! It's cold outside, and the food is much better at "home."
I'm so glad she came back and your daughter spotted her. Thank you, again for taking good care of her and finding a rescue who will be able to get her the best care.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh Chows are the same way. My big black fluffy guy gets his feelers hurt if I even raise my voice. He knows when he is a bad dog, which is hardly ever. But if you are mean to or hit a Chow you may get a very bad reaction with teeth. Just one more thing to remember about owning them. Mine is a lovey and I could never hurt him.

Why didn't I know you had a Chow? Have you posted his picture? He sounds like a Newfie...except for the thing with the teeth!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why didn't I know you had a Chow? Have you posted his picture? He sounds like a Newfie...except for the thing with the teeth!
I have posted him but a long time ago. He is 11 years old now.
Puppy pic
nic.jpg

Big dog pic.
upload_2018-1-19_17-28-48.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow is he ever cute!!! He reminds me of a stuffed animal!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew, just getting caught up with this thread and got upset and relieved! So glad Ruby returned to you, whitewave!

@redwood66, love the pictures. What a fluffy cutie!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad she returned back to you. You must have been frantic! What a sweetheart puppy :love:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave , bless you for taking care of Ruby!
Those first photos of her were heartbreaking.
She was wise to return to you.
I hope she'll soon be 100% and in a home that can provide the love and care she needs.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the pups! So adorable. My mom used to dog sit a Newfie named Bear-- sweetest dog ever.

Ruby is hanging out today. She looks MUCH better, though obviously still really thin.
IMG_3758.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Ruby. Thank you so much for being such a wonderful mommy to her, whitewave! You have been a true dog mother in every way.

Love,
Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have posted him but a long time ago. He is 11 years old now.
Puppy pic
nic.jpg

Big dog pic.
upload_2018-1-19_17-28-48.png

We should have a thread for your Chow, red. Did you even tell us his name? How do they do in the snow? Do they have one coat of fur or two? My family would bless me if I got a Chow instead of another Newfie due to the size difference! Not that my daughter will ever give up on another Newfie.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her body shape cracks me up-- all leg. Obviously bred for field and bush...thickets..

She is walking around today whining non stop... wants to get outside and chase some prey.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly.... waaaaay to active for me. Lol.
What a kindness you are doing @whitewave. I seem to have that special something too that all lost animals come to me. Standing on a college campus of over 40,000 undergrads, dog races straight across the quad and sat right in front of me. A few hours work determined she was a ex-racing greyhound that had been placed with a rural family. Son brought the dog to college and she kept escaping. I talked him out of her and she was quickly placed with friends experienced with greyhounds (8' fence and all!). It will be good to get her in touch with hunting dog folks. In my area, many hunters have taken to adding satellite collars on their dogs as they are so nose-focused. They'll chase a scent and then look up and *ack* "I'm lost...boo hoo hoo". Keeping my finger crossed for Ruby.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a kindness you are doing @whitewave. I seem to have that special something too that all lost animals come to me. Standing on a college campus of over 40,000 undergrads, dog races straight across the quad and sat right in front of me. A few hours work determined she was a ex-racing greyhound that had been placed with a rural family. Son brought the dog to college and she kept escaping. I talked him out of her and she was quickly placed with friends experienced with greyhounds (8' fence and all!). It will be good to get her in touch with hunting dog folks. In my area, many hunters have taken to adding satellite collars on their dogs as they are so nose-focused. They'll chase a scent and then look up and *ack* "I'm lost...boo hoo hoo". Keeping my finger crossed for Ruby.

I took her for a short walk today and she pulled me all up in the thickets. Now my hands and legs are scratched up.

Definitely needs a matched family...

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad she found her way back to you.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We should have a thread for your Chow, red. Did you even tell us his name? How do they do in the snow? Do they have one coat of fur or two? My family would bless me if I got a Chow instead of another Newfie due to the size difference! Not that my daughter will ever give up on another Newfie.
His name is Nicodemus, we call him Nic. He loves the snow and will lay in it like Griffin did if I let him. They do have two coats. Please read up on Chows before getting one though because they are very particular dogs and not fond of strangers. They are on the aggressive dog breed lists of many cities.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took her for a short walk today and she pulled me all up in the thickets. Now my hands and legs are scratched up.

Definitely needs a matched family...
Sight hounds are just as bad. You'll be walking along, they see something and the next thing you know you feel like your shoulder is dislocated and your wrist is in pain. My dad sewing custom harnesses for them that would eliminate the risk of it being slipped off. The portion on the back was like a big X. Like the one below, but it had an extra strap between the shoulder area to another strap around the waist area. It prevented the harness from slipping and made slipping out near impossible. Looks like someone had the same idea and calls it a houdini harness.

https://indi-dog.co.uk/25mm-houdini-harness

He also sewed leaches that had a traditional loupe handle and an extra length of webbing that had a clip on the end. So, you'd clip to your pants and have the hand-loupe. To accommodate the adult's arms, we kids wrapped that extra bit to our waists.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-21_12-54-37.png
    upload_2018-1-21_12-54-37.png
    397.9 KB · Views: 11

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
His name is Nicodemus, we call him Nic. He loves the snow and will lay in it like Griffin did if I let him. They do have two coats. Please read up on Chows before getting one though because they are very particular dogs and not fond of strangers. They are on the aggressive dog breed lists of many cities.

Thank you for the heads up. :))

I always read at length before buying any dog breed I haven't owned before. I also do a great deal of asking around!

Where I have gotten into trouble is adoption. You may not remember, but the dog I had before Griffin was a huge yellow Lab named Biscuit, and I got him through Adopt-a-Dog. He was a purebred Lab...and free! A free AKC purebred Lab! With one tiny drawback...he was totally demented. He was the one who was strongly protective and bit everyone who came onto the front porch. Plus he was oversized for a Lab. 110 pounds of muscular hunting dog. He was legendary!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, what a roller coaster this thread was! Thank you for taking such good care of her <3

That said, we foster dogs and had a beagle exactly once. Never again LOL. Hounds can definitely be a bit... much ... lol.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0BF9C57D-3477-4F03-853F-CB61B9A18A4F.jpeg Yes, we have sighthound, that’s our Saluki girl. Very stranger wary (not aggressive they just avoid) but loving with family. Very smart. This one can open up zippers with her teeth, and open doors (both lever ones and round knobs). And run, well, her breed chases rabbits and gazelle for miles in the desert for the Bedouin. Very fast and agile.
I hope dear Ruby finds a lovely new family who are experienced with the breed and have the right environment for her. I’d be putting a tracker on her for sure!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby and Margaery the bulldog got in a "fight" a little while ago and Margaery lost a bottom baby tooth in the process :o:eek2::shock:

She is fine otherwise-- bulldogs have itty bitty teeth at the bottom- I have no idea how it got pulled out.

There was a food bowl nearby.

Ruby is climbing out of everything lol. She is feeling good and wants to be a real dog. She will spend all day Wednesday at the vet and hopefully get vaccinated, then I will keep her until Monday morning and bring her back to get spayed and then from there she will stay and move to the rescue facility. So we just have to make it through Monday morning.

Here she is trying to climb over one of our dog gates:
IMG_3764.PNG

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She seems like a dog with many stories to tell. Lol. Have fun!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, her appearance has already changed so much! She looks like a beautiful, strong and healthy (and mischievous!) dog. Hope Margarey is okay with no trauma...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results