shape
carat
color
clarity

How much would you pay for a new setting?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious what your top limit would be if you were going to reset your e-ring? Or how about for a first setting? Budget constraints aside, is there a limit to what you would be willing to pay for the setting?

If the setting were close to 15K would it be a yay or a nay?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
15k? I can think of no circumstance under which I would pay that much for a setting.

I'm all about the center stone, baby! My max would be 3.5k, and that's really pushing it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We paid $20k for our current car in 2008 so 15k for a ring? Nope. For me it wouldn't be practical, even if I had the money I think I could find something and be happy with it for $2,000 or less.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have ANY stone near that much, so not only no but hayl naw! :eek2:
The highest I've paid for a setting was roughly 3k, and I ONLY went for it because the price of the stone, and the amount of work/diamonds that went into the setting (it was my anniversary ring)

My stones are not so fabulous that I would need a setting over 3-4k. BUT, if I ever win the lottery however, all bets are off:mrgreen2::P2

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring is from MCII. They don't use outside stones, but if you do the math (subtract the price of the stone) much of the price of their pieces goes to the craftsmanship, or you could call it the setting. Given the quality of their work, I consider it money well-spent.

That being said, I prefer small stones and a less "blingy" look, so I wouldn't be considering a tradeoff between a larger stone or a more expensive setting.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm like Jambalaya - all about the stone plus I don't like halos (for myself - I think they're gorgeous on others) so no, I'd never want to spend that much on a setting. I'm assuming btw that a $15k setting would be haloed and have pave/lots of diamonds to cost that much.
Do you have a pic of the setting if there's one you're considering at that price? I would love to see it!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fox, might you share why you don't like halos? I'm in the process of buying some colored-stone halo'd jewelry and now I'm worried I'm making a style mistake. I'm not a naturally stylish person so would really value your take. Thank you.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on if the setting had custom calibre cut fcs, argyle pink diamonds, ect that would warrant the setting to be 15k+ and depends on WHO is cutting said diamonds. My current setting cost around 10k (includes custom cut OECs from Yoram himself and then some argyle pink diamonds 6pp all with completely hand-forged platinum). The Single Stone that I had in mind was going to be around 15k (because of California sales taxes) that was also to be completely hand-forged in platinum with OECs and calibre cut FCs.

I think about it and cringe that I could easily have bought a nice pair of studs, tennis bracelet, multitude of jewels really for the cost of my settings-- BUT I know I would not be happy with a solitaire in the long run. I really am a setting girl and as much as I love the look of solitaires on others it just isn't me.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring is from MCII. They don't use outside stones, but if you do the math (subtract the price of the stone) much of the price of their pieces goes to the craftsmanship, or you could call it the setting. Given the quality of their work, I consider it money well-spent.

That being said, I prefer small stones and a less "blingy" look, so I wouldn't be considering a tradeoff between a larger stone or a more expensive setting.

Do you have the Flora? I LOVE that setting.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting I am considering is hand forged and really lovely. The craftsmanship is beautiful. It is a setting with french cuts. Another vendor quoted me 8500 for approximately the same thing. This vendor, who I am sure is awesome, quoted me 'starting at 14,900'. I can't imagine what would make it go above that. I knew french cuts would be more but was very surprised at that quote.

No halo, a basic cathedral style setting with frenchies down the sides and lovely milgrain.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I felt that way when I had Leon make my ring. I love his pave, and really haven't seen any I like better. I was hoping for a look that was a little sturdier than pave. I have not lost any stones, which is a tribute to the quality of the pave but the edges are a little bent. It is going to need to be sized down, and I am not sure this setting can go down a whole size.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I'd be more comfortable with a vendor who has done similar jobs previously. Nothing hurts more than being disappointed in a project. I think there is a recent thread by RoyalStarrynight (sp?) about her custom setting journey and how she ended up going with the original maker vs the inspired route after much frustration. Leon has proportions and flow to his rings that seem almost liquid (tapered fcs, 5 stones, 3 stones) that I have yet to see another designer really come close to.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
That's the one! Thank you for the kind words. I love it too!

I've seen similar versions from very skilled artists, but to my eye, none of them gets close to the original. I have a couple of MCII pendants as well, with tiny diamonds. The stone is a speck compared to the impressive diamonds I see on PS, but the setting is truly beautiful.

It's all a matter of preferences. Of course PSers include people with very large (by my standard) diamonds in masterfully crafted settings, so it's not necessarily a tradeoff unless the budget is a constraint.

Do you have the Flora? I LOVE that setting.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Your ring sounds utterly beautiful. What you describe is a bespoke work of art. I can see why you invested in the setting.

Depends on if the setting had custom calibre cut fcs, argyle pink diamonds, ect that would warrant the setting to be 15k+ and depends on WHO is cutting said diamonds. My current setting cost around 10k (includes custom cut OECs from Yoram himself and then some argyle pink diamonds 6pp all with completely hand-forged platinum). The Single Stone that I had in mind was going to be around 15k (because of California sales taxes) that was also to be completely hand-forged in platinum with OECs and calibre cut FCs.

I think about it and cringe that I could easily have bought a nice pair of studs, tennis bracelet, multitude of jewels really for the cost of my settings-- BUT I know I would not be happy with a solitaire in the long run. I really am a setting girl and as much as I love the look of solitaires on others it just isn't me.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
What I imagine from your description sounds like a setting where proportion and flow (to quote Resonance.of.Life) would make a lot of difference. Perhaps the skill that goes into ensuring that explains the difference in cost?

The setting I am considering is hand forged and really lovely. The craftsmanship is beautiful. It is a setting with french cuts. Another vendor quoted me 8500 for approximately the same thing. This vendor, who I am sure is awesome, quoted me 'starting at 14,900'. I can't imagine what would make it go above that. I knew french cuts would be more but was very surprised at that quote.

No halo, a basic cathedral style setting with frenchies down the sides and lovely milgrain.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I imagine from your description sounds like a setting where proportion and flow (to quote Resonance.of.Life) would make a lot of difference. Perhaps the skill that goes into ensuring that explains the difference in cost?

I don't really think so. The two vendors are pretty much matched as far as quality is concerned and skill level. $6400 is a huge difference for proportion and flow if that was the case. Both settings are hand forged. Being hand forged is not all that important to me. If a setting with slightly graduated french cut sides could be cast, I wouldn't be opposed to that. I do love the milgrain edges though.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really think so. The two vendors are pretty much matched as far as quality is concerned and skill level. $6400 is a huge difference for proportion and flow if that was the case. Both settings are hand forged. Being hand forged is not all that important to me. If a setting with slightly graduated french cut sides could be cast, I wouldn't be opposed to that. I do love the milgrain edges though.

I'd go with the vendor whose final product I'd ultimately be happy with regardless of the price. Probably doesn't help but-- that's what I'd do. I'm pretty sure I could have eventually found a setting at a much lower cost, but I'd end up resetting down the road and thus cost more in the long run. KWIM?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
That's the one! Thank you for the kind words. I love it too!

I've seen similar versions from very skilled artists, but to my eye, none of them gets close to the original. I have a couple of MCII pendants as well, with tiny diamonds. The stone is a speck compared to the impressive diamonds I see on PS, but the setting is truly beautiful.

It's all a matter of preferences. Of course PSers include people with very large (by my standard) diamonds in masterfully crafted settings, so it's not necessarily a tradeoff unless the budget is a constraint.

I am dying to see a MCII in person-- I have lusted after their settings for forever. As I recall they used to do settings for outside stones but it appears they no longer do so. :(

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 15k I imagine you're paying more for the artistry and skill than the materials. In which case I think it just depends on what you value and find joy in, considering what is affordable. If you have funds and really adore the fine craftsmanship then I say go for it. Some people spend as much or more on paintings, and I'd much rather be able to wear and admire my art daily.

I don't have the resources for a setting that pricey. I do however own a van craeynest setting and it makes total sense to me why they cost as much as they do considering the the cost of the raw materials are a small fraction of the price. When you look at it its like admiring a sculpture and tiny masterpiece. None of my other settings with larger diamonds even comes close to inspiring that sense of magic.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was about to say "heck, NO," but then I thought about those lovely rings (SS, I think) with graduated french cuts on the shank... and some of LM's incredible settings. So yes, there are settings for which I might spend that kind of money. And for the record, I'd definitely go with the original artist rather than a knock-off (I'm sorry if that term offends anyone.)

Last edited:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was about to say "heck, NO," but then I thought about those lovely rings (SS, I think) with graduated french cuts on the shank... and some of LM's incredible settings. So yes, there are settings for which I might spend that kind of money. And for the record, I'd definitely go with the original artist rather than a knock-off (I'm sorry if that term offends anyone.)

Funny you should mention Singlestone. I was just looking at their french cut settings and their completed rings come way under that price point. Some even with a center stone-the Hillary comes with a 1 carat stone and it is 12k. Granted that is a sale price. I didn't contact Leon because I will probably go see him before I make a decision what to do. I am not sure he would even make it for me since I didn't purchase the stone from him but I will ask. I do love CvB's work as well as David Klass's work. I don't feel like it would be a great loss of craftsmanship with either of those vendors. The $8500 setting was a very fine craftsman as well. I wasn't sure I even wanted to go that high, since this is my second setting for this stone.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn't go over about 3K for a mounting but it's a personal choice. I'll chime in about halos. I think they are very pretty but I feel like they take away from the center diamond. A diamond solitaire in a plain band or with small diamond accents is definitely the star of the show. A diamond in a halo IMO becomes the biggest diamond in a diamond cluster. Or another way to look at it is a solitaire is all about the diamond, a halo is all about the ring. Which one is the most important to you? I know it's all about personal preference and what you see when you look at your ring.

Marcy

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Do you count your sidestones as part of the setting cost? If so, I can see a 3 stone setting costing more than 15k for a large diamond.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fox, might you share why you don't like halos? I'm in the process of buying some colored-stone halo'd jewelry and now I'm worried I'm making a style mistake. I'm not a naturally stylish person so would really value your take. Thank you.
Well I don't think I'm at all naturally stylish either - I'm very much still learning what I really like in jewellery! tbh I think I'm a bit weird with halos - there's something about the texture or busy-ness of the small multiple stones that doesn't appeal much. I enjoy looking at other people's halos like I enjoy ideal cut MRBs but they're just not for me.
I do really like calibre set halos (think deco target ring) so maybe it's just ones with RB melee that don't do it for me?
Coloured stones are something I don't know much about - would love to see the ones you're getting. I think halos of contrasting or white stones look pretty good with coloured stones - they really make them pop.
Also I really wouldn't worry about making a mistake - if you like them and think they look great, you're the only person whose opinion should matter - they're for you!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for halos for me either. I think there are gorgeous halo rings out there, but like others have mentioned, I think it takes away from the center stone.

What is MCII?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I would pay for Mc2. While I only have their (small) necklaces--the work is really wonderful.

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, probably not. I am all about the diamond; much less about the setting. That is just my personal preference and of course we are all different - thank goodness - otherwise, this place would be boring!

I can, however, understand paying for a high level of artistry and workmanship. I'm just glad that those types of pieces don't particularly appeal to me for my every day life and my wallet is very happy about it too - lol!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I would, $3000 to $3500 would probably be tops for me - but as others have said it's all about personal preference and priorities. I do admire the high-end and expensive settings I see here on PS. They are gorgeous, I appreciate their beauty and artistry, and I totally understand the desire to own one of them. And I do like settings that are a bit more ornate. I guess I'm just happy with my relatively inexpensive setting at this point. But again, everyone is different - if an expensive setting will make your heart sing then I say go for it!

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have a hard time paying 15K for a setting alone. I'd say 8K would probably be my max, and that would have to be a heavily bespoked ring with custom cut stones, immaculate filigree, and the finest of milgrain - lol.

As for halos, I LOVE them. Love love love them. When done with the right proportions, they really highlight the diamond/center stone. That being said, if they are done wrong, it definitely makes it look like you were trying to "fake" a larger stone. I own four or five halo'd rings and they are by far my favorites :mrgreen2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I can't justify going over $3,500 for a setting. That price more than covers any blingy looks I want (can we say halos?!). :D

Having said that, I understand that French cuts come at a premium. You should go with whichever choice makes you happy. If it were me (and if I thought the level of craftsmanship would be comparable), I would probably go with the $8,500 option. They other ones soo much higher. :confused2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results