shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice in search for purple sapphire

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
I originally wanted a purple sapphire for my engagement ring but gave up and got a diamond after finding the search too difficult. After unfortunately losing that ring several years ago, we are finally thinking of replacing it and getting a purple sapphire this time. I'm looking for a round or cushion cut (maybe even princess or radiant cut) bluish-purple sapphire in the 0.7 to 1.8 carat range. I'm ok with heat treatment.

Here are some examples of stones that sparked my interest thus far. All advice and opinions welcome.

https://www.gemsny.com/loose-sapphires/1.61-Carat-Cushion-Sapphire-PUS82536BCU/

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/0.76ct-ceylon-round-purple-sapphire-u6256-/
Thanks!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You probably want to make sure the stone isn't too dark. Remember they will be darker in real life than in the vendor pics (which are often taken under bright lights) and darker again once you set it (as the setting blocks some of the light). Maybe try to make sure you get some shots of the stones on the back of the vendors hand? This might make it easier to judge how dark it is.

There are some nice ones at finewatergems, also a lot of people have bought purple sapphires from Jeff Davies (this is a really pretty example).

It is going to help a lot if you can indicate a preferred budget.

Also I am struggling to read the gemsny photo style, but I think that cushion might have a window.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
There are some nice ones at finewatergems, also a lot of people have bought purple sapphires from Jeff Davies (this is a really pretty example).

:dance: You made my day with that post, qubitasaurus! It's been on my finger for over two years now and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't admire it. I love how it's got just a blue tinge to it in the early mornings as I'm driving to work, and inside it goes almost pinkish-purple with the occasional flashes of red under our office lights. :love:

Jeff was a pleasure to work with, too. Would buy from him again in a heartbeat.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
You probably want to make sure the stone isn't too dark. Remember they will be darker in real life than in the vendor pics (which are often taken under bright lights) and darker again once you set it (as the setting blocks some of the light). Maybe try to make sure you get some shots of the stones on the back of the vendors hand? This might make it easier to judge how dark it is.

Also I am struggling to read the gemsny photo style, but I think that cushion might have a window.
Regarding budget, I am thinking about 3k max for the stone. I already plan to purchase the same style platinum setting that I had originally so it will match my wedding band.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:dance: You made my day with that post, qubitasaurus! It's been on my finger for over two years now and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't admire it. I love how it's got just a blue tinge to it in the early mornings as I'm driving to work, and inside it goes almost pinkish-purple with the occasional flashes of red under our office lights. :love:

Jeff was a pleasure to work with, too. Would buy from him again in a heartbeat.

your ring turned out amazing :love: -- I can remember thinking how lovely it was the first time I saw it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On this WWW page, there is a nice (IHMO), relatively reddish purple, that the owner calls 'deep magenta':

"Super Intense Deep Pink Magenta 1.84ct Sapphire (awa-07-02a) $5,520 Approx Dimensions: 6.8x6.0x5.1mm"

This is something else: WWW

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
On this WWW page, there is a nice (IHMO), relatively reddish purple, that the owner calls 'deep magenta':

"Super Intense Deep Pink Magenta 1.84ct Sapphire (awa-07-02a) $5,520 Approx Dimensions: 6.8x6.0x5.1mm"

This is something else: WWW
Thanks, but I'm looking for bluish purple, not at all reddish or pinkish.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
I'd also reach out to jeff white - he posted this yummie sapphire rough parcel on facebook recently:
image.jpeg

I'm new to this. How do I contact him or what is his business called?
Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look - WWW

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lastly - WWW

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the search advice. Do you think these may be too dark or other problems like the window you mentioned?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been wondering how your search is going?

I actually think some of the stones are lovely (especially nkotb's). There is another lovely one here.

I was just thinking that in real life, the gemsny stone (and especially daimondmine stone) may be slightly darker than they look in the pictures.

bluebonnet04

Rough_Rock
SAP231 shade.jpg
I have been wondering how your search is going?

I actually think some of the stones are lovely (especially nkotb's). There is another lovely one here.

I was just thinking that in real life, the gemsny stone (and especially daimondmine stone) may be slightly darker than they look in the pictures.

Thanks for asking. Based on the suggestion from chroman (and help from valeria101) I contacted Jeff White to ask if he had any other purple sapphires besides the one posted on his website. It turns out he was currently cutting one, and he sent me pics when he was done. It seems like what I was looking for (1.32 carat square cushion 6.02mm x6.02mm) so I purchased it but haven't received it yet. I'm only slightly concerned that it will be more on the pink side than I want when I see it in person. Luckily he has a 7 day return period. I'll attach 2 of the pics he sent. Thoughts?

Attachments

• SAP231 direct sun.jpg
    SAP231 direct sun.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 25

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think its gorgeous, make sure to post pictures when its set :)

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow that is phenomenal. I am really excited for you :dance:.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results