shape
carat
color
clarity

What shape for Double Halo Yellow Diamond Ring??

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Hi there! I'm back, looking for some advice and opinions!

So after I saw the Tiffany Sola Yellow Diamond Ring, I'm on mission to get something similar for my RHR. :twisted:
I tried on some rings at Tiffany, love the look so much but of course wondered the possibility of getting something more reasonable than paying $10K for .70 yellow diamond center stone with double halo. I looked through the recommended website for colored diamonds, but without having any knowledge of colored diamonds, I'm scared to get it online. Having good experiences with Leon in the past, I contacted Perry to look for a center stone for me.

Now, I first wanted cushion cut center just like Tiffany Sola.....but having second thoughts about it. Maybe going with Oval or Pear will increase the table size, which will help since I'm going for .7 to 1 carat range. But then did I fall in love with Sola because of a cushion cut stone??? I know it could be something really depend on the personal taste, but if you are going to make delicate RHR which shape center stone would you pick??

Also, what is your opinions on brownish yellow diamond??? I think I want to stick with Fancy Yellow without any "brown" or "green" in it....are there any pro or con to accept the stone with some color hue?? :?: :?:

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
BTW, I'm planning on getting Leon's Adrianna but with double Halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because you are looking for a colored stone, I'd probably just see what the nicest stone with the nicest color in your budget is and work backward on shape. In all likelihood the stone with the nicest color will be a radiant just because they are the most plentiful and popular for cutters of yellow diamonds.

With colored diamonds color is king, not shape, not cut... not anything else. So start with your budget and your color and the concentration of color (saturation) and see what you find. Then narrow things down based on other preferences.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found four you may like.
I've bought 8 FCDs from this vendor, Lebish, and even returned a couple with no problems.
I've had very good experiences with them.
All four of these were graded by GIA, the most respected lab for FCDs.

0.74 ct VS1 (per vendor) Fancy Vivid Yellow Radiant $5800
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/2721.htm

The next one has a less-saturated color, but you get more weight for your money.
0.92 ct VS2 Fancy Yellow Cushion $3500
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4028.htm

Then next one's my favorite by far and it has the lowest price.
0.71 ct VVS1 Fancy Intense Yellow Radiant $3355
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4460.htm

0.76 ct VVS1 Fancy Intense Yellow Radiant $3444
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4119.htm

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wintotty|1296183551|2835316 said:
Also, what is your opinions on brownish yellow diamond??? I think I want to stick with Fancy Yellow without any "brown" or "green" in it....are there any pro or con to accept the stone with some color hue?? :?: :?:

Whether you go for pure yellow or one with modifying hue(s) is personal preference.
Brown will lower the price.
Green may raise the price.

You may want to keep in mind the color of your chosen metal when selecting your FCD's hue.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Not to pick on Kenny's picks, but the last one only has fair symmetry and honestly does not look well cut at all to me. Fair symmetry to me is not acceptable in a stone. And honestly the first looks like it has a window, but it could be odd glare? In general good to very good symmetry is normal in colored stones and usually help produce well cut. I don't follow much else with "rules" for numbers and such with fancy colors but that's a sticking point for me.

From what I understand about Tiffany Yellows the majority were Fancy Yellow in color.

If you want that look I would look for either a strong Fancy Light Yellow or Fancy Yellow. Going to Intense will bring in more of a price jump. A strong FLY will be a great value.

As for shape? Pick what you like first. If you like pears, then go with them. But if you want the exact look either go with a radiant that has rounded corners or smaller cut corners and mount it in a soft cushion shaped halo, or go with a cushion.

I would recommend you find someone who is used to making jewelry for colored diamonds so that they mount it properly. Setting a colored diamond well is key as well.

Brownish will most likely lower the price but it will give you more of a light honey look most likely.

Green most likely will raise the price.

Once you decide what you want I would contact vendors who work with colored diamonds and see what they can do. I don't know much about Kenny's company he loves with that, but I know Diamonds By Lauren can source stones that aren't listed very quickly and nicely. I just know that because that's what I did LOL.

Good luck on your search and admittedly I think you are wise to move away from Tiffany to get a lovely piece. They do nice work, but none of their settings for the yellows are original IMO and they are over priced.

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy,

You are right, it seems like I get more options with radiant shape. I wonder why more yellow diamonds being cut to this particular shape??
I think pear shape looks the best when it is larger (2carats and up), so for the smaller size like what I'm looking at, may not be a best option.....also very hard to find the good looking pear (a little chubby, organic looking) to begin with. When I was looking for my ER upgrade, I saw a gorgeous Pear in 3.2carats....which haunted me for a while but ended up fall in love with AVC...

I saw some pictures of "brownish" yellow, and I don't like them. I also don't care for the Vivid or Intense Yellow. I like the softer color, like fancy yellow the best. Some Light Fancy Yellow are nice, but most are a little too pale considering having it set in double Halo,it may blend in. I'll ask Perry to look into Radiant shape and see what he can find me.......

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Kenny,

You have a gorgeous collection of colored diamonds!
I looked at their site, and still Perry's price is better......I guess like MissyDebby said they tend to give you a good price if I buy both stone and setting at Leon's. Still I'm checking all recommended sites everyday to see if I can find something interesting.

BTW, I LOVE the shape of the 3rd one you posted! Wonder if it has a good sparkles??

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Clgwli,

Thanks bunch for your advice, you got a very pretty ring yourself!!
I've never ventured into colored diamond market, so it is very hard.........I don't even know what I should look for.
As for the intensity of the color, the rings I tried on at Tiffany are all Light Fancy Yellow. They looked nice and soft looking, I liked them so I want to stick with Fancy Yellow ~ Light Fancy Yellow.

At first I was going to do Yellow diamond halo around the center stone, and white diamond halo outside of the YD halo. But it was pretty expensive to go that route, and I think I like the look of white double halo better. I don't have to have the exact replica of Tiffany, I'm sure Leon won't like the idea anyway......and his Adrianna ring is one of his signature style so it won't disappoint, I'm sure :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wintotty|1296232005|2835699 said:
... it seems like I get more options with radiant shape.
I wonder why more yellow diamonds being cut to this particular shape?

It's results in higher profits.
The more strongly colored grades are more expensive.
If you were to cut the same piece of rough into emerald cut, but then also magically were able to cut the same rough into radiant cut, the radiant would have stronger color.

Because of the angles of the facets, the radiant keeps the light reflecting back and forth in the colored material more times than some other cuts.
The more the light travels back and forth the more of that color the light picks up.

You are fortunate you prefer the softer hues because you will get more carat weight for your money than you would with Intense or Vivid.

On www.fancydiamonds.net in the upper right corner click on ADVANCED SEARCH.
You can enter your desired characteristics and it will find all the Fancy and Fancy Light Yellows in your price range and preferred cuts.
I just did this (without entering a carat, cut shape or price range) and it shows they have 149 of them.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
wintotty|1296232688|2835713 said:
Clgwli,

Thanks bunch for your advice, you got a very pretty ring yourself!!
I've never ventured into colored diamond market, so it is very hard.........I don't even know what I should look for.
As for the intensity of the color, the rings I tried on at Tiffany are all Light Fancy Yellow. They looked nice and soft looking, I liked them so I want to stick with Fancy Yellow ~ Light Fancy Yellow.

At first I was going to do Yellow diamond halo around the center stone, and white diamond halo outside of the YD halo. But it was pretty expensive to go that route, and I think I like the look of white double halo better. I don't have to have the exact replica of Tiffany, I'm sure Leon won't like the idea anyway......and his Adrianna ring is one of his signature style so it won't disappoint, I'm sure :naughty:
I wasn't aware that they were selling FLY. Last time I went into my local store (just before the holidays) they hadn't gotten the diamonds yet and they told me they were just FY. I guess they were mistaken.

You might actually want to consider looking at Y-Z as well. My stone is actually a Y-Z and I've had local jewelers who do sell yellows get the color wrong. You could save even more money if you can find a strong Y-Z color. Like you I prefer the softer colored yellows and really look for a strong W-X, Y-Z and FLY for my yellows. Though I plan to go for a nice orangy brown next since it reminds me of my son's auburn hair :)

I love the look of the yellow halo around a yellow diamonds. I know you have had good luck with Leon, but I really would suggest asking DBL as well. I personally won't use Leon for a ring because I cannot wear platinum, and I wouldn't ever compare the two, but I really like the work. In fact I just got a lovely pair of E-F diamond hoops from DBL because I like the service. I've seen them do a few double halo items with yellow diamonds that weren't outlandishly expensive if that is what you want
Like this sold ring http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/diamond-51ct-y-z-vs2-round-diamond-gia-lemon-sparkle-r3282
I did show that one to my husband when I saw it because it was to die for. My husband didn't agree so I think I will be resetting my stone in a double bezel instead.

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1296233240|2835723 said:
wintotty|1296232005|2835699 said:
... it seems like I get more options with radiant shape.
I wonder why more yellow diamonds being cut to this particular shape?

It's results in higher profits.
The more strongly colored grades are more expensive.
If you were to cut the same piece of rough into emerald cut, but then also magically were able to cut the same rough into radiant cut, the radiant would have stronger color.

Because of the angles of the facets, the radiant keeps the light reflecting back and forth in the colored material more times than some other cuts.
The more the light travels back and forth the more of that color the light picks up.

You are fortunate you prefer the softer hues because you will get more carat weight for your money than you would with Intense or Vivid.

That is very interesting! Thank you for educating me! My 3rd upgrade stone was radiant, but in white....anyway I picked the shape without knowing any of that!!!

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
stci, clgwli,

Yes, I've been looking through DBL site everyday!

I just LOVE the Leon's halo rings and his execution.....DBL has some nice settings, but I love the look of less metal and delicate setting so I have to go with Leon for the setting.....I'm having Perry look for the stone because if Perry can find a stone that match my criteria they can give me a good deal on stone. So far, here's what Perry found me.....

0.81 Natural Fancy Deep Yellow

0.81.jpg

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
0.83 Natural Fancy Yellow medium blue fl

0.83.jpg

0.85 Natural Fancy Yellow medium blue fl

0.85.jpg

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
1.07 Fancy Brownish Yellow with strong blue fl

1.07.jpg

This doesn't look "brownish" to me at all....is it because of strong blue fl?

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
I also like this cushion 1.02 Natural Fancy Yellow medium blue fl

cush.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color of my FCDs changes dramatically with the environment and lighting.

I know from my own photography that the hue itself is hard to capture accurately, no matter how careful and honest the photographer endeavors to be.

This is also the reason I would never get an FCD set without personally seeing its color live.
Besides, if the hue itself, and its saturation, changes a lot in person, WHICH is the "accurate" hue and saturation?
I don't envy photographers of FCDs who get held responsible for "accuracy".

Be sure your vendor has a no questions asked return policy.
They have to be okay with your reason being . . . I just don't like it.
Don't step onto the slippery slope of how the photo didn't match what you see live.

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
wintotty|1296183551|2835316 said:
Now, I first wanted cushion cut center just like Tiffany Sola.....but having second thoughts about it. Maybe going with Oval or Pear will increase the table size, which will help since I'm going for .7 to 1 carat range. But then did I fall in love with Sola because of a cushion cut stone??? I know it could be something really depend on the personal taste, but if you are going to make delicate RHR which shape center stone would you pick??

I personally would stick with the cushion or radiant shape. As you are already aware from the above posts, they are the most popular shapes for fancy colored diamonds and you will have an easier time finding something. Also, I noticed you are concerned with getting a "bigger look", but the double halo setting that you chose look huge on the finger! It's truly a gorgeous style.

PS: clgwli : You have an incredible stone! I definitely thought it was a FLY! ;))

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Those photos seem really small. So I won't say anything other than getting a picture of the colored stones on a white background is important. Or at least make sure they aren't laid on that yellowish table or whatever it is. That seems counter productive to me for seeing a true color.

Personally I wouldn't buy from just one photo. See if you can get him to take pictures of the stones in all types of lighting and a movie. Unlike colorless stones colored diamonds will change depending on the lightings.

And just be sure *you* love the color and the cut above all else.

ETA: Thanks so much Luminous! She's my favorite so far!

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm... I will ask him to take pics with white back ground if possible. Perry said once I decide which stone I am interested in, he can get it from his source and inspect further. I hope Missydebby can chime in, since she bought her yellow diamond from Perry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about colored stones! But I just wanted to say I would personally love the cushion shaped halo like the original! I also like Fancy light yellow the best.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the cushion is the nicest from the pics posted, but I wouldn't advise you to buy based only on that. More pics, larger pics and on different backgrounds is a definite must.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
0.85 Natural Fancy Yellow medium blue fl

This one is STUNNING!!! :love: :love: :love:

dani13

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1296265796|2836237 said:
If I were making this ring, I'd want the lowest color AVC I could find. This one might not be yellow enough for you in real life, but I thought of you when I saw it!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7805/

This one is gorgeous too, depending on what look you're going for. Nice find, DS!!! :love:

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
wintotty|1296259531|2836155 said:
Hmmm... I will ask him to take pics with white back ground if possible. Perry said once I decide which stone I am interested in, he can get it from his source and inspect further. I hope Missydebby can chime in, since she bought her yellow diamond from Perry.
If you can even just get the images larger that would help.

Of course I would probably still seek out colored diamonds elsewhere too to give Perry some competition. But I shopped around when I bought mine LOL.

Can you get the images w/o all the white around them? If you can cut that out and post them I have a feeling that might help.

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
This one is my favorite so far considering the price. 0.85.

Hope this is bigger pic, can't get rid of the background color....sorry

0.85%20FY-RADIANT.jpg

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
0.81 Fancy Deep Yellow....... it looks kind of Orange to me.... I thought the color grade goes from light, fancy, intense, vivid. Is there a Fancy Deep Yellow???

0.81%20FDY-RADIANT.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results