shape
carat
color
clarity

Possibly 1.85 D VVS quality

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
CF how is this bracelet different from yours. Wink set your stones in a 3 prong setting if I remember correctly?? The pic of the other bracelet is so small it''s hard to see exactly??? Or what advice would you give to Deb in having Wink make her bracelet, is more to the point I guess??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
not sure what kind of setting my gf has for her bracelet but the stones are tiny, i would say maybe 2 pointers. and all you see are the stones, the metal prongs or whatever are SO tiny i don't even remember seeing them. did you call the jeweler deb...any more info?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2005 11:12:03 PM
Author: Mara
did you call the jeweler deb...any more info?

I would have, Mara, believe me! When I was little I thought teachers lived at the school. Since I have learned that most jewelers live somewhere other than their stores, however, I didn''t give it a shot yet. Saturday night at midnight and Sunday didn''t seem like the best times to find him at his shop! In this area, most jewelry stores are also closed on Mondays. Today may be the day I try, however!

Deb

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2005 5:11:52 PM
Author: AGBF

Ana,

You posted a link to this thread from a thread in which I inquire about how to set stones in a tennis bracelet with the least metal possible. Can you explain what was done to make this bracelet look as it does?
As much as I can tell... those are practically rings of metal (called 'bezel' too) with three very short, bead-like prongs holding the girdle of the diamond right onto the ring below which should match it in size. Since the ring of metal underneath is completely under the girdle, no metal rim shows from above unlike it is the case for traditional bezels. Now, there could be some metal showing on purpose, either the protect the girdle or to make the bracelet look wider, as Cflutist says.

Some two-prong settings for diamond pendants and earrings are made like this and I think Ritani has an eternity band set this way. The setting is not too common because those metal rings have to match the size of the stones very closely - which would limit the range of orders that any off-the-rack model can be used for
38.gif

A line of 30 pts rounds sounds GREAT!
9.gif

I could not find pictures of a larger bracelet done this way - only 'illusion setting' ones:

The way the diamonds fit onto the round seats of this ring gives the idea that there shouldn't be any visible amount of metal beyond the girdle of the diamonds. The bracelet can't be 'shared prong' like this of course:

2RD2183ARP_big.jpg
Ritani

Memoire uses the same trick (short prongs 'clamp' the girdles onto a metal rim instead of holding them in the air - see here) for their eternity bands. I wonder if they also make bracelets that way
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2005 7:23:10 AM
Author: valeria101
As much as I can tell... those are practically rings of metal (called 'bezel' too) with three very short, bead-like prongs holding the girdle of the diamond right onto the ring below which should match it in size. Since the ring of metal underneath is completely under the girdle, no metal rim shows from above unlike it is the case for traditional bezels. Now, there could be some metal showing on purpose, either the protect the girdle or to make the bracelet look wider, as Cflutist says.

Some two-prong settings for diamond pendants and earrings are made like this and I think Ritani has an eternity band set this way. The setting is not too common because those metal rings have to match the size of the stones very closely - which would limit the range of orders that any off-the-rack model can be used for

The way the diamonds fit onto the round seats of this ring gives the idea that there shouldn't be any visible amount of metal beyond the girdle of the diamonds. The bracelet can't be 'shared prong' like this of course:

2RD2183ARP_big.jpg
Ritani

Memoire uses the same trick (short prongs 'clamp' the girdles onto a metal rim instead of holding them in the air - see here) fort their eternity bands. I wonder if they also make bracelets that way
2.gif

Why couldn't a bracelet be made with a shared prong? What is a shared prong? (Heck, I just understood what a three prong looked like recently!) Are those two bumps (I assume the "shared prongs") necessary or can the bezel alone hold the stones in without the bezel having a lip? I know there is a way to set stones besides a channel setting where the stone is set in the metal without prongs or a bezel lip, but I cannot recall the name of it.

I need help understanding everything you said. I need help with this, period! Thank you for helping!!!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2005 7:23:10 AM
Author: valeria101
Memoire uses the same trick (short prongs 'clamp' the girdles onto a metal rim instead of holding them in the air - see here) for their eternity bands. I wonder if they also make bracelets that way
2.gif

I love the look of the band one sees if he clicks on Ana's link above, but would prefer even LESS metal (prong bumps) showing! How could that be done?

Deb

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2005 10:01:54 AM
Author: AGBF

I love this look, but would prefer even LESS metal (prong bumps) showing! How could that be done?

Glue?
2.gif

... there''s about every type of setting mentioned on this thread. ''Guess the point about prongs (pun intended) is that they can be small enough to ''dissapear'' from view except for very intent close up staring at them. And this is easier if the prongs are short - as it is the case for the line bracelet that brought this thread up again, and perhaps also holds for the bracelet Mara has described saying that she could not see the prongs look like on her colleague''s hand.

Honestly, even leaving the girdles in the open like that will probably end up with a very chipped bracelet
14.gif

For channel setting you would need allot of metal to form the rails in which diamonds are embedded, and there are always gaps between round stones.

Btw. the ''bump'' prongs on that ring can''t be that big - the stones are tiny relative to what you have in mind!

swingdoctor

Rough_Rock
Hey Kevin,
Could you let me know which jeweller you went to in Singapore? I recently had a stone set with Canary Jewellers and it was good except that one of the sides stones they used was not up to scratch and when I head back to Singapore I''m going to get it changed, but have another stone that I''d leke set ina pendent as well and your design is some thing my fiance has been looking at. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results