shape
carat
color
clarity

disappointment in WF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 2:07:50 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 9/26/2006 11:32:41 PM
Author: strmrdr
You know I may be off base but but sounds like the setting did its job.

It took a hit held the stone and protected it.

The diamond wasnt broken and didnt go flying accross the room/street/car so thats a win in my book.

i agree completely. I don''t think plat. is marketed as the stronger more durable metal. any small amount of research shows that''s it''s softer and more dense. also, it''s more likely to bend rather than break which is why many jewelers prefer plat. prongs at least. if the head gets hit a wg prong has a better chance of breaking where plat. will bend possible saving the stone.
I disagree... I''ve heard over and over and over that platinum is harder than gold. It is just in the last couple weeks that it seems to be swinging the other way.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 12:59:10 PM
Author: Anthony K

Now as I have always understood it (and correct me if I''m wrong) but isn’t platinum technically softer but denser than gold not '' stronger, harder, or more durable''.

Cehrabehra when you said you were allergic to white gold I would bet that if you had it mixed with Palladium instead of nickel you would be fine especially in 18k.

I''m not allergic to white gold - I''m not allergic to nickel either LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 1:23:14 AM
Author: maxspinel

Date: 9/27/2006 12:16:56 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 9/26/2006 11:31:54 PM

purity is overrated lol
25.gif

A lot of people like me are allergic to alloys such as white gold. Purity of the Platinum is the only way to go.

All my rings are in platinum and I never have one bent or a pave diamond falling out. Most of the problems are probably due to the difference in workmanship.
true, if you have an allergy then it can be your only choice... and by purity being overrated, I meant pure gold too. The pure metals are weaker... even the 900 plat is better from what I''ve read. Hence, purity is overrated ;-)

On workmanship - how the heck do you know what you''re getting yourself into????

Anthony K

Rough_Rock
In another post here is what gary had to say

Date: 9/27/2006 4:58:17 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Most platinum alloys bend more easily than most gold alloys
a rough non bending scale:
toughest
nickel white golds
18k rose
14kyellow
18k yellow
low K yellow and rose
palldaium white golds used for setting stones
platinum
silver

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 7:08:19 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 9/27/2006 2:07:50 PM

Author: mrssalvo

Date: 9/26/2006 11:32:41 PM

You know I may be off base but but sounds like the setting did its job.

It took a hit held the stone and protected it.

The diamond wasnt broken and didnt go flying accross the room/street/car so thats a win in my book.

i agree completely. I don''t think plat. is marketed as the stronger more durable metal. any small amount of research shows that''s it''s softer and more dense. also, it''s more likely to bend rather than break which is why many jewelers prefer plat. prongs at least. if the head gets hit a wg prong has a better chance of breaking where plat. will bend possible saving the stone.
I''m not really saying that I think it is marketed that way, but I see people here state it erroneously from time to time. I think if people knew more about it, they''d insist on the 90/10 plat/iridium like Mark Morrell uses.

i don''t think it''s that easy. most vendors just don''t make a 90/10 mix. I personally don''t care. I''d happily buy a designer or custom setting with 95/5. Yes, Mark morrell uses it, but I can easily name a bunch of designers who use 95/5, very well could be b/c it is easier to work with but many of them have been around for many many years and if the rings they were making were falling apart I doubt they''d be in business very long or be able to charge the prices they do.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Every alloy is a case in itself.
Each one has its advantages and disadvantages.
Add in how the ring was made... cast, from wire, type of wire, and or die struck then add how it was heat treated, how much heat it was subject too in soldering and or welding, and how much work hardening it has, is it void free, what type and how much solder was used, the skill of the person doing the welding and/or the soldering and 50 million other variables.
Saying that 90/10 is worse than 95/5 without all the other information is just plain incorrect.
Saying that white gold is better or worse than plat in any given area isnt correct either without the other info. Which white gold? which plat? How was it formed and treated? How much skill was involved in creating it?

then...

Sometimes it just comes down to luck.
The exact same ring may last someone for decades and if someone else had it they might hit it just wrong and destroy it the first day.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 1:02:21 AM
Every alloy is a case in itself.
Each one has its advantages and disadvantages.
Add in how the ring was made... cast, from wire, type of wire, and or die struck then add how it was heat treated, how much heat it was subject too in soldering and or welding, and how much work hardening it has, is it void free, what type and how much solder was used, the skill of the person doing the welding and/or the soldering and 50 million other variables.
Saying that 90/10 is worse than 95/5 without all the other information is just plain incorrect.
Saying that white gold is better or worse than plat in any given area isnt correct either without the other info. Which white gold? which plat? How was it formed and treated? How much skill was involved in creating it?

then...

Sometimes it just comes down to luck.
The exact same ring may last someone for decades and if someone else had it they might hit it just wrong and destroy it the first day.
Yup. Lots of factors to consider. But I agree.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results