shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your less than perfect gems

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My star sapphire is far from perfect. I had it examined by Rich Sherwood before mounting and he described it as low saturation and heavily included. However, the star rated as extra fine. I chose a mount that I felt would bring out the best features of my stone, and I couldn't love it more!

starglamour2.JPG

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1329282558|3126520 said:
periwinklegirl|1329277215|3126485 said:
What a great idea!

Here's mine. It's actually my ering! It has a big honking inclusion, not only right in middle of the table, but actually right on the surface! It makes my stone an SI3. But, as so many of you have said, it also made it a lot more affordable (as in, thousands less). And even though I know it's there, I can only really see it when I hold my ring up to within six inches and even then it's fairly hard to see. Of course, the loupe shows it very clearly!

On a related note, I met someone recently who had chosen a very included rose-cut diamond for her ering - so included that it looked like dull quartz (I3?). She said she liked it because no one is perfect and marriage isn't perfect, so why should her diamond be perfect?

Actually included diamonds are very "in" now, and a lot of designers are using them. Love your sapphire ring by the way.

I didn't know that. Interesting.
Thanks for the compliment TL. It's actually a blue diamond, thus the <1ct size!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1329180239|3125700 said:
The all seeing eye. Bubble inclusion dead center.

Mahenge spinel

013_0.png

Gorgeous fire Davi! Impressive photo!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
periwinklegirl|1329293391|3126564 said:
TL|1329282558|3126520 said:
periwinklegirl|1329277215|3126485 said:
What a great idea!

Here's mine. It's actually my ering! It has a big honking inclusion, not only right in middle of the table, but actually right on the surface! It makes my stone an SI3. But, as so many of you have said, it also made it a lot more affordable (as in, thousands less). And even though I know it's there, I can only really see it when I hold my ring up to within six inches and even then it's fairly hard to see. Of course, the loupe shows it very clearly!

On a related note, I met someone recently who had chosen a very included rose-cut diamond for her ering - so included that it looked like dull quartz (I3?). She said she liked it because no one is perfect and marriage isn't perfect, so why should her diamond be perfect?

Actually included diamonds are very "in" now, and a lot of designers are using them. Love your sapphire ring by the way.

I didn't know that. Interesting.
Thanks for the compliment TL. It's actually a blue diamond, thus the quote]

Some designers are even using very included diamond rough in their jewelry.

I also have some included diamonds in this ring, including a sleepy and highly fluorescent orangy pink oval. I think colored diamonds are fine with inclusions, and they have character.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/8-335-cttw-colored-diamond-eternity-band.161088/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/8-335-cttw-colored-diamond-eternity-band.161088/[/URL]

diamond-in-the-rough-diamond-ring.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here's mine! :lol:

Diamond yellow rough 2.39ct_1_1.JPG

Diamond Rough Yellow1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found out via Pricescope's blog on grammy jewels, that Kelly Clarkson wore a rough ring, almost identical to the one I posted above (same designer). So LD, you're in good company! :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1329337245|3126843 said:
I just found out via Pricescope's blog on grammy jewels, that Kelly Clarkson wore a rough ring, almost identical to the one I posted above (same designer). So LD, you're in good company! :bigsmile:

With Kelly Clarkson???????? Are you sure??????? Would prefer a comparison with Elizabeth Taylor if you don't mind! :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1329337468|3126847 said:

With Kelly Clarkson???????? Are you sure??????? Would prefer a comparison with Elizabeth Taylor if you don't mind! :bigsmile:

Liz only liked perfect stones though. However, you do have some world class pieces that remind me of Liz Taylor. :naughty: :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1329344397|3126938 said:

Liz only liked perfect stones though. However, you do have some world class pieces that remind me of Liz Taylor. :naughty: :bigsmile:

LOL - not sure what Liz Taylor would have made of some of our "less than perfect but perfect to us" jewels shown above? I bet she had some too - would love to see them!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1329344602|3126944 said:

LOL - not sure what Liz Taylor would have made of some of our "less than perfect but perfect to us" jewels shown above? I bet she had some too - would love to see them!

Michael Jackson bought her an emerald necklace, and I must say, I don't like it at all, and I don't think she ever wore it. If she did have imperfect gems, they weren't given to her by Richard Burton or bought with her own taste.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1329344927|3126949 said:
LD|1329344602|3126944 said:

Michael Jackson bought her an emerald necklace, and I must say, I don't like it at all, and I don't think she ever wore it. If she did have imperfect gems, they weren't given to her by Richard Burton or bought with her own taste.

I'd rather have that than the elephant he also bought her! Where on earth would you buy a collar for that????? :lol:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
LD your "natural" diamond is a little ripper - on that score prolly have to be careful wearing it too :bigsmile:

I also thought Freke's "strawberry soda" mahenge on the first page did a really good bubble impression.

Barrett said:
I got you all beat!..[lets out raspy laugh and evil grin]
Here is my "less than perfect gem" that I won from Jeffrey Hunt in the "Ugly stone contest"

:lol: I read that thread ! Nice to see you can finally show it off as a star here on the "less than perfect" thread.

Great thread everyone :bigsmile:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Matching tourmaline cabs - sold to me as copper bearing, but I haven't had them checked out... They are so full of "stuff" they look kind of like blue alka selzer, but they are quite neon. I did not change the color or mess with the photos, as you can see by my finger color. They are both 9 x 6.5mm

If I remember correctly, the photo that is so glowy was taken under a small "ott" office lamp. I have no idea how to set them, but they are fun.

tourmaline cabs.jpg

tourmaline cabs 1.JPG

tourmaline cabs 2.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1329408947|3127388 said:
Matching tourmaline cabs - sold to me as copper bearing, but I haven't had them checked out... They are so full of "stuff" they look kind of like blue alka selzer, but they are quite neon. I did not change the color or mess with the photos, as you can see by my finger color. They are both 9 x 6.5mm

If I remember correctly, the photo that is so glowy was taken under a small "ott" office lamp. I have no idea how to set them, but they are fun.

OMG I want these! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
I have serious "less than perfect" Tourmaline envy going on here. Simply beautiful. Now then, if ever you want to part with them, you know where I am (usually lurking around here somewhere)! :lol:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. Oh. Oh. What she said. :mrgreen: Some serious envy just aroused :roll: :bigsmile:

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Fun thread. Those cabs....yum-yum!

I haven't posted in a while, but my color shift sapphire will feel at home in this thread. It is an Umba sapphire, unheated, with silk, copper, and veil inclusions. Here is a shot of it showing its soft silky center and some of the copper. In certain lights the copper shows as a beautiful ginger color in the stone. It looks very purple in this photo. In real life, the shifting combination of blues, purples, and ginger colors in this stone are captivating.

I had some trouble with the first setting, but my jeweler agreed to redo it, so I hope to have photos of the finished ring soon.

CIMG2790.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love this thread- some amazing "imperfect" pieces here and I am drooling over all of them! :love:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Diamond halo those tourmalines and set as earrings... they're seriously gorgeous. :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1329593688|3128827 said:
Diamond halo those tourmalines and set as earrings... they're seriously gorgeous. :love:

Or sell them to me! :naughty:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1329595111|3128841 said:

Thanks for the compliments on the cabs.

LD, you crack me up.... I seriously didn't think anyone else would like them :shock:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1329624259|3129154 said:

LD, you crack me up.... I seriously didn't think anyone else would like them :shock:

Well, I'm being serious. I absolutely adore them :love: If you ever want to part with them, please give me first refusal.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1329652316|3129216 said:
colorluvr|1329624259|3129154 said:

Well, I'm being serious. I absolutely adore them :love: If you ever want to part with them, please give me first refusal.

Of course! :))

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously. What a bunch of...

Hahaha. I love how multi dimensional you people are! All the perfect stones and then out comes this thread of wonderfully hidden secret treasures. They are all beautiful!

I especially like the ones which look like a still photo of an exploding can of soda with the little bubbles inside... it is so cool wearing one of those.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Colorluvr, I know others have already called dibs on those tourmaline cabs, but WOWZA :love: !!

I have one or two things I may be interested in trading for those. :naughty:

T

talamasca

:appl: what a brilliant thread, one which I hope to add to soon ;-)

Freke - OMG I am in love with your mahenge :shock: :love: :shock: :love:

LD and Colourluvr - your tourms are absolutely beautiful - I think I need one too! :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is one of my all time fav threads on pricescope :appl:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
How about stones that are perfect outside and then turn to poop in doors?

A little garnet asscher that likes the sunshine :D The comparison shot on the right is full on fluorescent lighting at work

Untitled.png

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
5.57ct Cuprian tourmaline from Mozambique in 18k wg pendant - as you can see, it's NOT a clean stone, but it's a beauty IRL (in my opinon)! BTW, this photo was taken right after the stone was set and before the prongs were Rhodium plated or "spiffed up". I've since had that done, but haven't gotten another photo of the pendant.

pear pendant.jpg

pear pendant2.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH MY!!! colorluvr that is STUNNING! I can't come up with words for that gorgeous pendant!!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!
Love the claw prongs (yes, I have identified that I am a claw nut!) and the colour.... TDF!!! Would love a neck shot or a link to more details on this.... :halo:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1329768547|3130254 said:
OH MY!!! colorluvr that is STUNNING! I can't come up with words for that gorgeous pendant!!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!
Love the claw prongs (yes, I have identified that I am a claw nut!) and the colour.... TDF!!! Would love a neck shot or a link to more details on this.... :halo:

Thank you.

I haven't done a thread on this yet because I wanted to get the prongs finished and see if I could get some decent photos. These photos were done by a fellow PSer, but I'll see how I do this week and then I'll provide all the info with more photos on it's own thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results