shape
carat
color
clarity

My E-Ring Is Shrinking!!!

TheMisses

Rough_Rock
Trade
This is a disaster!! A couple of month's ago, my boyfriend proposed and we decided to design a ring. I designed a rectangular 1.23 carat radiant cut I color ring with diamonds surrounding it. It did not come out how I wanted it to and we ending up returning it. First, the design was not exactly how I wanted it and second, radiant cuts show more color and he put G colored rounds to surround it, making my center stone look yellow and cheap. This is that ring below...

Ring8.jpg

So, because I was frustrated being engaged without a ring, I quickly chose a classic 1.51 carat RB solitaire which I was very happy about when I first got it. Now, the more I look at it, the smaller it gets. I really want a 3 carat, but can settle with 2 if it is a square cut diamond (princess or radiant) with at least a 72% table. I know this seems very particular but I don't know what to do. I want to buy myself an eternity band to jazz things up. I don't want to change the ring again so soon and before marriage because his mom and sisters will think I am spoiled brat. What should I do??? HELP!! This is my E-ring below...

IMG_0025.jpg

It doesn't look very small here but in person it just seems so pedestrian to me. I also live in L.A. and work on the weekends at a gym in the kids klub. I see moms coming in all the time with the most gorgeous rings. Maybe that contributes to my mania.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
how about getting a halo setting for your current stone?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I live in LA too and I feel your pain. But just remember that you're not marrying the ring. You could always upgrade at your 1, 2 or whenever anniversary. I also like the idea of halo'ing it. But for what it's worth, I think it looks pretty damned snazzy on your finger and has great coverage.

betty6333

Shiny_Rock
Did you buy from a place that has an upgrade policy?

If you did you can look into getting an upgrade on the stone. You dont need to tell his mom or really anyone, as it is your ring.

If it is in the budget for an upgrade simply get the size stone you can afford and dont worry what people think.

DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) sets in fast for some people and a halo can help. be aware though.... once you hit the 3 carat mark, that becomes " not so big" after a while too! :nono:

Your eyes will become accustomed to any size stone after a period of time and it is possible to have DSS even with a 3 ct RB! When I got my ring I thought it was border line too big... now though it doesn't look big at all to me. The ring is 17 mm wide and 27 mm long and has over 7 carats of diamonds on it and I truly do not think it is big at all anymore :naughty: it has shrunk to a very normal size to me! :cheeky:

For some of us DSS is just something we have to recognize is there and try to remember that what we have is very nice!

Any whoo... if you do upgrade show us the pics and the stats! I love looking at the pretty rings!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halo halo halo... I can see your halo.

It will make all the difference. Problem solved.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheMisses said:
I don't want to change the ring again so soon and before marriage because his mom and sisters will think I am spoiled brat.

Don't live your life for what others think.

Do what you want.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Good old DSS... never-ending battle... Halo is one possibility. What I also find that helps is putting your ring away in a jewellery box for two or three days and then when you see it again, it looks HUGE. (By the way, you ring is gorgeous!)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...sounds like you could use a halo!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could always do a squar-ish halo to give you the shape you want....I'm terrible at searching on PS 2.0 but I know I've seen photos of some with round center stones and square/rectangular halos.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire said:
You could always do a squar-ish halo to give you the shape you want....I'm terrible at searching on PS 2.0 but I know I've seen photos of some with round center stones and square/rectangular halos.

Just cause I'm real familiar with Leon's site... here's where Leon makes a "cushion" halo with a round brilliant:
http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=370

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny said:
TheMisses said:
I don't want to change the ring again so soon and before marriage because his mom and sisters will think I am spoiled brat.

Don't live your life for what others think.

Do what you want.

Ditto to this. If you and your fiance can afford to change it and have no emotional attachment to the ring, there shouldn't be anything to keep you from getting exactly what you want.

One thing I will mention: received wisdom says that princesses face up a lot smaller than rounds, so a 2 carat princess might well come out to a similar general impression of size as your 1.5 carat round. A subtle halo, or fishtail prongs maybe, might give you more of the look that you're after ....

TheMisses

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much to everyone for your advice. I am going to research halo pricing, but I think first I am going to take the suggestion of putting it away for a few days and bringing it out again. That seems like it will work for me because I look at it way too much. I love all you PSers!! It is the only place I don't feel shallow when I talk about my ring, you girls understand!!

TheMisses

Rough_Rock
Trade
chiquitapet said:
Good old DSS... never-ending battle... Halo is one possibility. What I also find that helps is putting your ring away in a jewellery box for two or three days and then when you see it again, it looks HUGE. (By the way, you ring is gorgeous!)

This seems like it will be a good quick fix. I look at my ring way too much. Great suggestion!!

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
I think whatever you decide you need to stick with it till youre actually married. It sounds like you need to step back and think this out cause at this point your throwing money away unless you have a great upgrade policy. If its gonna take a 3 carat then by all means get it but please be considerate to your fiance and dont waste money on "quick fixes" that wont last long

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TakingthePlunge said:
I think whatever you decide you need to stick with it till youre actually married. It sounds like you need to step back and think this out cause at this point your throwing money away unless you have a great upgrade policy. If its gonna take a 3 carat then by all means get it but please be considerate to your fiance and dont waste money on "quick fixes" that wont last long

I agree with this actually. Don't do anything until you are sure it is what you want. If a larger diamond is what you really want, then a halo will not help that for very long. Save the pennies and work towards the upgrade. Does your jewler have an upgrade policy and good pricing? If then, then I suggest returning the ring (if you can) and buying from a online jeweler *if* upgrading is something you really think you will want to do.

But seeing your first e-ring, I really think that a halo that is more ornate will make you happy. A solitaire is pretty boring compared to your first ring!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Side note - why a 72% table? I just can't imagine that looking good for a princess. You do know that the table size doesn't determine how large the diamond faces.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TakingthePlunge said:

I agree with this too. Don't rush into something. Make sure you find exactly what you want because your future hubby will eventually tire of the indecision, I'm sure, as will you. Lord knows I know and have been there.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
That actually happened to me and my FF when we were still looking. We went to several different jewelry stores, and starting out, we thought that the 1 carat diamonds looked huge. After awhile though, we moved on to the 1.5 carat diamonds. We saw a friend's engagement ring, and we thought it was huge at first (1.5 carats max). We saw it again a few months later, and suddenly, it didn't seem so big.

It's all relative, and I guess that no matter how big a diamond is, looking at it every day causes you to just get used to it.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I think BOTH rings are fabulous! Your diamond size is perfect for your hand! Stop looking at what others have. There will always be someone with more. And someday you can upgrade.. Maybe right before the wedding so you can just say it's part of the "set" to avoid peoples snarkiness!

wedge

Rough_Rock
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but you picked the 1.51, and other posters acting as enablers isn't helping. Hope you and your fiance have money to burn.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
wedge said:
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but you picked the 1.51, and other posters acting as enablers isn't helping. Hope you and your fiance have money to burn.

LOL. This is a diamond forum, you should not be surprised if much of the chatter is about diamonds, getting new diamonds, bigger diamonds etc etc etc. Diamonds are essential luxury, so we are all burning out money by buying them.

wedge

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
LOL. This is a diamond forum, you should not be surprised if much of the chatter is about diamonds, getting new diamonds, bigger diamonds etc etc etc. Diamonds are essential luxury, so we are all burning out money by buying them.
Sure, except that
1) it's brand new, not really a typical upgrade time
2) at least for the second ring, she picked it out

Sometimes I think people aren't asking advice/truth so much as asking people to tell them what they want to hear.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
wedge said:
Dreamer_D said:
Sure, except that
1) it's brand new, not really a typical upgrade time
2) at least for the second ring, she picked it out

Sometimes I think people aren't asking advice/truth so much as asking people to tell them what they want to hear.

It's all relative, though: I don't think there is an abstract "truth" on something like getting a different diamond ring.

If the poster said that she couldn't afford a 3 carat, but couldn't stop drooling over them, I think she'd be getting markedly different advice. As matters stand, it doesn't sound like money is the thing holding her back, but the fear of what other people will think ... and that's no reason to keep from doing what will make you happy. TM may have chosen both her rings thus far, but she acknowledges that the results didn't make her happy. What, she should live with an expensive thing that makes her miserable in punishment? It does seem to make more sense to find the option - reset, upgrade, whatever - that will actually give her her money's worth in terms of satisfaction.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, the halo might be just what you are looking for right now. Will make the ring look bigger till you can afford to upgrade :naughty:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Your mania seem to stem from wanting bragging rights. I must say that many of us upgrade or make changes for personal preferences versus bragging rights - ie. change shape, change color, go up in size, better cut. I have nothing against upgrades or changes and I am in no position to make comments on your financial situation (and in fact, I went through ering changes as well).

You noted that you don't want to make a change again because his mother and sisters think you are a spoiled brat and asked what you should do. My advice is for you to ask yourself if you are being a spoiled brat (nothing wrong with it as long as you actually recognize it). Your choice of words such as "yellow and cheap", "really want 3 carat, but can settle with 2", "seem so pedestrian" are not the words I typically hear someone describe their e-ring. I am sorry but I am just not as sympathic as the others here.

You want the ring to look bigger and more blingy ... go get a halo. Problem is that the melee is usually F or G so are you going to feel that the color difference is too great and your round diamond looks "yellow and cheap"? Your other option is to go up in budget and actually get a bigger rock but of course .. you and your fiance have to decide what makes sense.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
I think the first ring you posted looks brighter than the second, it was gorgeous on your hand.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Halo'ing it or changing the setting to a setting with bling will def. give you more finger coverage (that's what I assume you're looking for). I would have loved a 3ct too but that wasn't happening with the type of cut I wanted SO I opted for a 1.77 RB and had a halo custom made for it. I love it and I got my finger coverage. GL

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheMisses said:
So, because I was frustrated being engaged without a ring, I quickly chose a classic 1.51 carat RB solitaire which I was very happy about when I first got it. Now, the more I look at it, the smaller it gets. I really want a 3 carat, but can settle with 2 if it is a square cut diamond (princess or radiant) with at least a 72% table. I know this seems very particular but I don't know what to do. I want to buy myself an eternity band to jazz things up. I don't want to change the ring again so soon and before marriage because his mom and sisters will think I am spoiled brat. What should I do??? HELP!! This is my E-ring below...
who cares what they think as long as you get a bigger rock.... ;))

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi TheMisses! :wavey: You poor dear - DSS is a very real problem. You know what though? Whenever you look at your ring, you should think about the wonderful man who gave it to you. Don't worry about the diamonds other people have - it's just not that important. Heck, those big rocks may not even be real - CZ's are a HUGE industry. What matters is the guy and your relationship.

I really liked your first ring and your second one is wonderful too. Both look great on your finger. Maybe get a diamond eternity band for your wedding band. Then your e-ring won't be so lonely!

Let me ask you - are you happy with the guy though? I ask because before I met my darling husband, I was dating another guy who wanted to marry me. I remember thinking, "Well, if he gives me the 3-carat Cartier emerald cut ring, then I'll say yes." I realized that such a pre-condition was crazy and he wasn't the right guy for me. When my husband asked me several years later, he could have given me a soda can tab and I would have been thrilled.

I just don't want the DSS to really be a problem with the guy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results