shape
carat
color
clarity

PS history and trends: i.e., "I want one too!"

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1342630133|3236124 said:
Who made those big keys everyone was buying? Those were definitely trendy for a while.

Julia Kay Taylor :) I still have mine with the stars and moon though I have only worn it once. They look great in pictures but not comfortable to wear at all! :nono:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1342630246|3236126 said:
VRBeauty|1342626926|3236096 said:
Clairsonics. Are those of you who bought them still using them?
I'd like to know too. Think I may be getting one for my birthday ... my damn new camera w/amazing zoom has clued me in about some skin problems I never knew I had! :oops: :lol:

I got one (although I didn't know it was a trend *here*) I was cynical so I ran a test, with close up pics before and after.

I have to say, it's no miracle worker, but it has absolutely made a difference in my skin. I have milia and usually that has to be removed by a derm. Well, the clarisonic thinned the skin or something enough where they sloughed off much more easily (I picked at a few, I admit...but picking before did nothing. This time they'd scratch off.) It did nothing for blackheads - at first. I did invest in a blackhead removed, and I use it once a month. The clarisonic keeps the pores clean and now 7 months later, I hardly have any on my nose. Even TGuy is impressed and is tempted to use it.

I am terrible with skincare, but I leave this in my shower rack since it's waterproof and use it while I condition my hair. So easy for me to actually USE.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Didn't do the Sharper image US but because of Dancingfire I went with the Crest US. It's built like a tank and still going strong. But was kinda spoiled having worked in a jewelry store with an awesome US and super high grade steamer.

Mara started many a trend. The Balenciaga, ( I wrote a poem to her saying she went gaga over them ) Charlotte pants. And now OEC's and Alj with the colored stones....

I am glad to see many rocking the yellow gold, and love seeing the finds of OMC's and OEC's.

I love my ring that was given to me by Nanny. And am on the look out for Ash because when she gets engaged, that's what she wants for an ering.

I came here looking for an eternity band. Funny no one mentions signed pieces, I wonder if they are still in business.

Also the biggest trend jewelry wise?? Halo's. I still love my asscher with it's halo. That was a PITA project. Oh the memories...

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kaleigh|1342639489|3236236 said:
I am glad to see many rocking the yellow gold . . .

I loooooove YG. I hope it picks up a little more.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1342639489|3236236 said:
Didn't do the Sharper image US but because of Dancingfire I went with the Crest US. It's built like a tank and still going strong. But was kinda spoiled having worked in a jewelry store with an awesome US and super high grade steamer.

Mara started many a trend. The Balenciaga, ( I wrote a poem to her saying she went gaga over them ) Charlotte pants. And now OEC's and Alj with the colored stones....

I am glad to see many rocking the yellow gold, and love seeing the finds of OMC's and OEC's.

I love my ring that was given to me by Nanny. And am on the look out for Ash because when she gets engaged, that's what she wants for an ering.

I came here looking for an eternity band. Funny no one mentions signed pieces, I wonder if they are still in business.

Also the biggest trend jewelry wise?? Halo's. I still love my asscher with it's halo. That was a PITA project. Oh the memories...

I don't think so....but boohoo. It was my GO TO for Estate. Now I love Oakgem for oogling......

cheers--Sahron

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
coatimundi|1342634531|3236174 said:
Multiple E-ring/wedding sets. PS is a rare bunch. (and yeah, you can include me in this category) Most folks have only one treasured wedding set. Raise your hand if you have multiples!

Me. Guilty as charged! I've normalised this. I'll change jewelery mid-day, sometimes a couple of times a day, without thinking about it. My aunt, in her late 50s, just bought a ring I helped her find and it was a big deal to her to have a 2nd engagement ring. I think she spent about $200. She has the money, so it's not that, it's the thought of wearing another diamond ring than her engagement ring.

I can't imagine not having the variety though.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1342635028|3236177 said:
Mara|1342625633|3236084 said:
Deco, c'mon! PS is the best place for ego stroking! In all ways, shapes and forms.

PS is often the only place for jewelry ego stroking. Especially when real-life pals don't give hoot about your jewels! But, I suppose some folks are sensitive to the stroke regardless. :cheeky:

ha, so true!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm still using mine! Although it died the other day and I forgot to charge it, so I haven't used it for the last few days. I should get up and charge it now that I'm thinking about it but I'm too lazy. :cheeky:

I think it really makes my skin look clearer than when I don't use it. I didn't really have major skin issues, though, so it hasn't been a miracle worker.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found PS three years ago, researching for my 20th anniversary reset.
It was thanks to this site, that I identified my desire for white gold, the double prong head, and a split shank design, which is what I got.
In addition, as of last year, I am the proud owner of an ID Jewelry bagette and diamond eterning ring, in blue topaz and diamond. I feel like I'm a member of a special little club there :twirl:
Perhaps most importantly, I've come to truly appreciate the transitional cut, heirloom diamond in my ering and my grandmother's OEC cut ring and the modern RB in my Mom's stone and other GM's stone. Oh, I loved them before, but now I appreciate them for the little works of art they really are! (so, thanks, PS!)

ahem, I guess I got off track: the trends, as I see them, are WG, double prong head, split shank and old cuts, but now that I think about it, loving a well done diamond for what it is, is the greatest trend of all, isn't it?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I know everyone's moved on from the MRB, but I want another one of these, hopefully larger than the one I sold when my new business takes off. I love the precision of the cut, and it's something I don't see at all in real life. I will probably get a BG Blue next time though because I love that blue fluorescence!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
coda72|1342703563|3236554 said:
I know everyone's moved on from the MRB, but I want another one of these, hopefully larger than the one I sold when my new business takes off. I love the precision of the cut, and it's something I don't see at all in real life. I will probably get a BG Blue next time though because I love that blue fluorescence!

I haven't ::) I love my old cuts, and they're more interesting in photos, but nothing grabs and holds my attention IRL like a well cut RB :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1342706998|3236566 said:

I haven't ::) I love my old cuts, and they're more interesting in photos, but nothing grabs and holds my attention IRL like a well cut RB :love:

Yep, I still like modern rounds too. :))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has anyone (on a slow night when you have heaps of time) gone throught the SMTB thread from the beginning? It's really interesting to see the trends take shape on that thread. I did it a couple of years ago for fun.

I think quick to jump on trends around here tend to be on smaller, less costly items (the keys, being an an example). Engagement rings, because it's such a focus on this site, tend to show trends pretty quickly here too.

It's fun for me to think of not only the trend, but the PS piece that jumpstarted the trend. There definitely have been a number of them here over the years!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1342712563|3236615 said:
Has anyone (on a slow night when you have heaps of time) gone throught the SMTB thread from the beginning? It's really interesting to see the trends take shape on that thread. I did it a couple of years ago for fun.

Nah, who would do that?!

(I've only done it maybe three times :lol: :naughty: )

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1342666795|3236444 said:

I'm still using mine! Although it died the other day and I forgot to charge it, so I haven't used it for the last few days. I should get up and charge it now that I'm thinking about it but I'm too lazy. :cheeky:

I think it really makes my skin look clearer than when I don't use it. I didn't really have major skin issues, though, so it hasn't been a miracle worker.

I learned about the Clarisonic here but was too cheap to buy it, but when I saw a similar one (Pretika Sonic Dermabrasion brush) at Marshall's for $30, I jumped on it! I whipped out my smartphone to see if it was actually similar (unlike the Olay one for example, which has a completely different movement mechanism), and I found that it was, with the exception that the Clarisonic brushes are softer. It's been working very well on my extremely acne-prone skin, although the brush would probably be too abrasive for those with more sensitive skin. And I've been using it for a few months on a single charge.

I've also heard the Nutra Sonic is a good dupe for the Clarisonic as well. I think you can get that from HSN or QVC.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1342637056|3236204 said:
Haven|1342630133|3236124 said:
Who made those big keys everyone was buying? Those were definitely trendy for a while.

Julia Kay Taylor :) I still have mine with the stars and moon though I have only worn it once. They look great in pictures but not comfortable to wear at all! :nono:

I figured the keys would become a passing trend, but I love everything about mine, and I don't find it uncomfortable at all! I still wear it a lot. It has sentimental value because the design incorporates my first initial and my husband's. I like the large size because it's different from my other necklaces. Although it's weird that it was strung on the necklace with the clasp on the left rather than the right (and it doesn't come off the chain).

That said, I haven't bought anything from JKT since the threads by AJ and Freke. It's a lot harder to support her business after hearing how negative their interactions with her have been.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
ZahraLeyla|1342591269|3235955 said:
diamondseeker2006|1342588921|3235945 said:
Haven|1342540103|3235468 said:
I predict Mike R will be the next "it" designer for PSers . . .

I think Mike is just outstanding, but I don't think he'll see the quantity of PS business that Victor does simply because of his location. Having to send a diamond to NZ and worry about whether your insurance covers that as well as whether there is any duty for doing so is pretty daunting. But I guess we'll be hearing reports about that! I saw a preview for "The Hobbit" today and my honest first thought was...I need to take a trip to NZ and buy my souvenir at RGD!!! :lol:

Definitely lots of trends here, but I notice that most of the items listed are pretty classic pieces, which is good since they won't likely go out of style.

One of the other limiting factors may also be that Mike only has capacity to take on a certain number of projects each year, and I don't think he has plans to expand his operation beyond this. I know he's already 'booked out' for this year, and his calendar is already filling up for next year as well. Plus he has to deal with me still taking up so much of his time :lol: So, ladies, get in quick!

In my time spent lurking on here, I'd say the most distinct 'trend' I've noticed is the switch from precision cut MRBs to precision cut old cut replicas to genuine old cuts.

Your correct Z, I only have the time for about five PS projects per year, this will limit the amount of my pieces you will see here.

Still loving your emails Z, I'm so glad we have new projects to talk about.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Mara|1342625633|3236084 said:
I don't see Mike R becoming a hot trend, he's expensive and as mentioned he can only do so much, plus his pieces are really more for the unique, work-of-art seekers rather than mainstreamers.

Hi Mara, I wonder if you could explain this a little better for me, I'm expensive compared to what?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1342708697|3236584 said:

+1

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
- Spinels - largely thanks to Freke :appl:

- Stacking rings

- Mandarin garnets

- LOGR

- Something I never saw before coming to PS: earring charms (is that what they're called? Those - mainly diamond - hoops with changeable pieces that can be hooked on?)

I've always loved yellow gold, and can't understand, if so many here love it too, why its not more popular.

Great thread topic, btw =)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, ooh, ooh! How could I forget precision cutting?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lula|1342925979|3237944 said:

+1

I also still like MRBs. If I had not found my particular old cut, which is really an early ideal cut, I would likely have looked for an MRB. I am just so perfectionistic, and I enjoy fast scintillation in my stones.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock

Thritto. I love seeing everyone else's old cuts but MRB's are still for me!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1

Another +1 here too!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1342986163|3238216 said:

+1

Another +1 here too!

Me too!

I would maybe participate in a few more trends if my budget allowed. Love earring dangles, diamond jackets, huggies, and stackers but I haven't gotten there yet. Old cuts are gorgeous, but probably not in my future. I was able to get something in rose gold though, and that's been a trend. It was from LOGR, lol, another trend. I paired it with my merelani mint garnet, a trend for while on CS. Had an Iolani inspired ring made by HoW...mini trend. Picked up some diamond martini bezel earrings! (on DB - trend!) Did I mention that I loooove PS? Things that are trends here are actually rather unique in the "real world."

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone mention blue flourescence by chance?

I'm still a MRB type of gal, also!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Mike R|1342923372|3237930 said:
ZahraLeyla|1342591269|3235955 said:
diamondseeker2006|1342588921|3235945 said:
Haven|1342540103|3235468 said:
I predict Mike R will be the next "it" designer for PSers . . .

I think Mike is just outstanding, but I don't think he'll see the quantity of PS business that Victor does simply because of his location. Having to send a diamond to NZ and worry about whether your insurance covers that as well as whether there is any duty for doing so is pretty daunting. But I guess we'll be hearing reports about that! I saw a preview for "The Hobbit" today and my honest first thought was...I need to take a trip to NZ and buy my souvenir at RGD!!! :lol:

Definitely lots of trends here, but I notice that most of the items listed are pretty classic pieces, which is good since they won't likely go out of style.

One of the other limiting factors may also be that Mike only has capacity to take on a certain number of projects each year, and I don't think he has plans to expand his operation beyond this. I know he's already 'booked out' for this year, and his calendar is already filling up for next year as well. Plus he has to deal with me still taking up so much of his time :lol: So, ladies, get in quick!

In my time spent lurking on here, I'd say the most distinct 'trend' I've noticed is the switch from precision cut MRBs to precision cut old cut replicas to genuine old cuts.

Your correct Z, I only have the time for about five PS projects per year, this will limit the amount of my pieces you will see here.

Still loving your emails Z, I'm so glad we have new projects to talk about.

Yay!! glad I snagged one of those spots for next year!!!!!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Did anyone mention claw prongs? I wish I could change out all of my rings with claw prongs now thanks to PS

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results