shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloth Diapers?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PG, is it possible that your newborn diapers will get you until Claire is potty trained and you only have one in diapers? Or is that pushing your luck? I can't remember exactly how old Claire is.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
PuppMom, I'm definitely hoping so, but even if not, I think we'll be OK since I had to buy a bunch of new diapers when she outgrew the 15 FuzziBunz one-size that were the bulk of my stash. So those FBs are just sitting around waiting to be used by DD#2.

Claire is 25 months and we're sort of dipping a toe into the potty-training pool, but I don't expect to be fully trained any time soon. So if DD#2 is about 4 months when she outgrows the mini one-size dipes, then Claire will be 2 years and 8 months - she could definitely be PTed by then. I hope! We'll see . .. if Claire isn't PTed in 7 months, she may not be fitting into anything but size large anyway, so I'd probably need to get her more large diapers before I got more OSes. But she may lean out as well . .. despite her slow growth in the beginning, she became quite rotund after we introduced solids. I have the darndest time getting pants to fit over her cloth diapers and big butt and belly. So hopefully the diapers that fit now will continue to fit as she grows taller but hopefully not much wider.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Liang-most of my friends who CD newborns love kissaluvs (which only fit for the first 1-5ish months depending on the size of your baby), applecheeks size 1, and clotheez--both the prefolds and "workhorse "fitteds...prefolds and fitteds do need covers (bummis whisper wraps, thirsties xs, and applecheeks are faves)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Wow, from just a few posts on this thread and all you knowledgeable Mamas, I'm feeling a lot more confident what I need. I think I'll maybe start in the VERY BEGINNING with disposables, then get a trial to start. I think for DH AIOs might be easiest for him but I'd want to try pre-fold/fitted and covers, too.

PG, I'm tempted to pick up a few few minis also. I think I'm due before you (Feb 2012) so I can give you a quick review on a "live baby" if you want. Ha ha!

Bella, Thanks for the word of mouth recommendation of the Kissaluvs and the Applecheek covers. I'll have to look into those too.

I'm unsure how much I can buy before the baby's born without DH freaking out.

~LC

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
OK, tell me these aren't the cutest things you've ever seen!!!! These are my Blueberry Mini One-Sizes. LC-Pals shipped super fast and sent a 10% off coupon for my next order. My only complaint is that they don't offer free shipping.

CDsprettyprints.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
And here's a comparison shot.

Top Row: Blueberry Mini set on smallest setting, Blueberry Mini set on largest setting
Bottom Row: Lil Joey set on smallest setting with umbilical cord snap-down, Lil Joey set on largest setting

LC, you know you want to get some newborn diapers!!!! They're so so cute.

ETA: Actually, the top right Blueberry can go one snap further out.

CDblueberryliljoey.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
the little joey print is ADORABLE!!! :love: :love: :love: and they are so tiny!!!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! Your kid won't even need pants. Just slap a shirt on her and you have yourself an outfit! That umbilical cord snap down is great!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
So back when I started CDing I got about 15 Fuzzibunz One-Size and 6 Mediums. I have used the mediums in heavy rotation since then because they were my more absorbent diaper for naps, over night, and trips out of the house where I didn't want a leak. Another one just had a big leak straight through the crotch (I couldn't see signs of delamination but I guess it just broke down?), so that's the fourth one that bit the dust in the last month. Funny that they are all dying at the same time. The thing is, I've already sent 5 diapers in 2 batches back to FuzziBunz for replacement in the last 6 weeks. I feel like 3x in two months is a bit much. Can't hurt to ask, but I think I'm going to wait for the last two to die before I contact them again. And if I can't get them replaced, this means I'll get a chance to try a different brand! :naughty:

I guess 200+ uses is good for the life of a diaper, right? Compared to disposables . . . But then I see people selling these super old style FuzziBunz that must have been around for years, and I wonder why mine aren't holding up. I guess those people had a bigger stash and didn't use them as often?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, how does the return work? Do you have to have receipts? I definitely didn't keep any receipts when I bought our diapers and didn't buy any of them directly from Fuzzibunz. I sure do hope mine don't bite the dust because they're a third of our stash. We've been using ours heavily since mid-January and so far so good but it sounds like there's no warning.

If I HAD to buy more cute diapers, I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world! :bigsmile: At this point, it's less about saving money and more about it being our preferred method of diapering. I still think we're saving. Other than laundry, I've spent about $600 in diapers and accessories. I think my friends spend about $60 per month on name brand diapers so, if nothing else, we're breaking even at this point. However, I can't just go to BRU or Target and buy only diapers. I always spend at least $100 so I'm definitely saving money in that sense!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pupp, I bought all of my FuzziBunz online so I just printed out the email confirmation of my order. They do require proof of purchase, which makes sense since there's such a healthy resale market for them. People would just buy up old ratty diapers and return them for new ones. So if you don't have receipts and bought them locally, then I think you're out of luck . . . something to think about for future diaper purchases.

I got my Happy Heiny's Mini One-Size today, so that's all of my Black Friday-Cyber Monday purchases. A little sad I won't be getting any more to open, gotta admit. ;)) The velcro part at the top seems kind of cumbersome, but they come with two inserts vs. the one for the Blueberries Mini One Size. The Blueberry inserts seem a little on the small side, especially for a 12 or 15 pound baby (which is supposedly how long they''ll last).

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Phoenix. I bought them online so maybe I'll see if I can round up my receipts from my PC just in case!

Just got these coupon codes from Jillian's Drawers. They have excellent customer service. They were very helpful when I was a newbie.

save5atjillians gets you $5 off any order, no min
save10atjillians get you $10 off any order over $50
AND, FREE Shipping on orders over $49

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pupp, oh good, you could probably get the order info from the website where you ordered it too. They just want to see that it matches the color of the diaper you're returning. As much as I don't like the new made in Turkey diapers (though maybe the ones made in China have a lamination issue?), I can't complain about FuzziBunz's customer service. They replaced my hook and loop prototype diapers with the snap version (I took a chance ordering a prototype so they didn't have to do that), and they replaced my delaminated ones after the warranty had expired. They also send extra inserts or a sample size laundry detergent or something like that to make up for the cost of you having to ship the diapers to them. I think BumGenius pays for your shipping to return items, but I'm not sure how strict they are with doing so.

You are totally tempting me with the coupons! Too bad Jillian's Drawers doesn't have anything on my newborn wish list except Rumparooz. It *would* be nice to get 4 more for $50 though . . . But I did promise DH I wouldn't buy any more diapers!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Score! I just got 6 Lil Joeys (girly colors) for $55.57 from Diva Diapers. The two packs are on sale for $19.50 (regularly $29.95), you can use the code "pin" for 5% additional off, and shipping is free over $50. Lil Joeys seem to sell quickly on Diaper Swappers and FB resell boards (not that I obsessively checking these or anything) for over $10 each. They also have FuzziBunz perfect size for $12 (mostly large but they have some smalls left in pink). I don't know if these are the old made in China ones or the new made in Turkey ones.

Must stop buying diapers . . . must stop buying diapers . . .

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Mom & Baby Shop have a special on Fuzzibunz at the moment - they have a batch with slightly different fleece lining (but not seconds stock) which are selling for $13.95 each I think. I put a whole heap in my shopping cart and then got a shipping estimate - $63 to ship 15 nappies to Australia is NOT on!!! But good for you States-siders.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Puppmom - I'm really bad about deleting old e-mails, so I have most of my receipts for on-line orders. I did have an issue with my Swaddlebees pink lemonade. They replaced it when I emailed a photo of the defect and forwarded the email receipt. They did not require that I send the diaper back, which was nice, because it is a hassle. Now, sadly, my replacement pink lemonade is a mess. Seam came apart on the top of the back of the diaper! This is not at all a favorite diaper, so it doesn't get used regularly at all. I think it might be the fabric is not well-suited for diapers? Strange. I do have two blueberries (we use these double stuffed at night), and I have not had any issues with these.

Oh, I never had a chance to post re: your TBEF prep question. I think I did three washes and dried each time. I just put them in with my regular CD laundry. Have you had a chance to use them yet?

PhoenixGirl - How cute your little mini diapers are!! My favorite is the blueberry minky. Tooooooooooooo cute! That the pattern I have in the regular size (one snap, one velcro), and we really like them. So, I know you said no more diapers, but how many did you buy last night? lol. Can I ask you a completely UNRELATED question? Hair clips. Where do you get them????? S's hair is at a stage where she really needs to start wearing one, while her hair grows. I've bought a few from etsy, that I like because they have the non-slip grip, but I can't keep buying clips for $8 a piece!! They had some at Target, but they were kind of crummy looking and no non-slip grippers. Any advice for me? Thanks!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
LV, I know, forget what I said . . . I've decided I do want to have a whole stash when DD#2 comes and I'll just sell what doesn't work. Now I've got 8 Lil Joeys, 6 each of the Blueberry and Happy Heinys Mini One Size pockets, three covers, two fitteds, and a few prefolds (need to get more if I'm actually going to get into the prefolds with snappi thing, but based on the size of the rest of my stash, probably not).

Hair bows and clips . . . I usually get them at Babies R Us. I agree that the selection at Target isn't great. The snap clips where you kind of lock it onto the hair work pretty well with finer hair and babies who want to remove them. We also get hair bows there, both the kind that snap and the kind that open like an alligator. Even now I don't the kind with teeth would work; they'd just slide right off. She just doesn't have enough hair.

I've never tried the more expensive kinds so I probably just don't know what I'm missing out on. But we lose the hair clips a lot so I wouldn't want to spend too much. Hope this helps!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thanks, PG. I haven't been in BRU in many months. I will have to see what they have. The clips that I have are the regular alligator clips, with something they put over it so they don't slip off. They still do, eventually, but just not immediately. I may just break down and order some more today, maybe a multi-pak, so shipping costs make more sense.

How old is Claire? You've probably said recently, now that I ask. Have you posted photos of her? I almost hate to ask because I know some posters don't like to post photos on-line (which I totally understand), but ultimately, I just always ask because I love baby pictures!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Claire is 25 months now. I posted pics of her all the time as a newborn, but then I realized, OK, maybe when she grows up she won't want these pictures of herself "out there" so I don't do it much anymore. But I'm not really paranoid about being discovered or anything as I've already found a bunch of PS Moms on FB . . . BTW, are any of you guys on there and findable? ;)) I know we can't share emails here so that makes it tricky.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not on FB. I am still trying to avoid it entirely. I spend way too much time on-line as it is. For a while there, I was checking DS regularly, which can be a huge waste of time! There's a lot of drama with those ladies!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
PG - You are seriously tempting me!! Those little NB diapers are adorable. I have to keep telling myself that I already have the prefolds and covers for #2 so I don't have any reason to buy NB diapers. My will is being tested :naughty: To answer your question from forever ago, O is just over one. We nearly always can get away with just water on our wipes, but like I said, we have the Lotion Potion on the changing table to spray if we have a stubborn poo. Sometimes I'll just spray it after he's clean to do another wipe just because it smells so darn good!

pupp - I normally prep new diapers with any load that I'm doing unless they're hemp. Hemp oils will make your diapers repel so they have to be prepped separate. Let us know about the TBEF! They're adorable!!

LC - One think I'll say about AIOs is just think about whether they're just AIO or if they have a pocket too (like the TBEF). O has suddenly started soaking through his normal inserts in less than two hours so we've started having to double stuff. If we had a true AIO without a way to add more inserts we'd be changing him ALL. THE. TIME. So now we've added a NB insert to our stuffing. The good thing is actually that it makes the diaper a little thicker and it fits him better because the child has a crazy tiny waist. Who knew!

LV - So weird that your SB lemonade fell apart. I have two Blueberries in that circle print (orange/blue and blue/green) that we use for night because they're aplix. It never even occurred to me that they might fall apart at some point. You and PG are making me nervous! And OT, but I'm totally not on FB either! I thought I was the only holdout left in our age group.... even my grandma is friends with DH! I figure he's friends with all of my friends and family, it would just be redundant if I was on FB at this point!! ;))

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
hahahaha-great minds think alike, I'm not on FB either. PS is enough of a time suck for me:) though I do sometimes wish that I could connect with my fave PS peeps on FB, it's not enough to push me over the edge:)

Wish me luck, I am posting the first installment of my CD de-stash on ebay. We're streamlining now that B is sort of on the road to pottytraining (it's still day to day, some days he's dry all day, other days he goes through 8 diapers)...with my luck our next child/children will have a totally different body type and none of the diapers we are keeping (basically what I listed when I told pancake my mini reviews of our current dipes, including the cheap sunbabys, plus the infant diapers we have but have not gotten to use yet--kissaluvs, drybees, some thirsties fitteds,and some motherease sandys xs and s) will work, but I figure someone should be getting some use out of these diapers and I want to free-up some drawer space:) They are great diapers, we just either have duplicates and/or don't find that we use them as much as others.

Hopefully we'll get some cash...I may or may not have bought some lil joeys in that awesome deal PG linked b/c the lux print is so cute. I am hopeful that either through pregnancy or adoption we'll have another little one in the next year or two, but yes, I am apparently crazy...no I did not tell DH...yes, really, I know I am crazy... :cheeky:

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite, I'm glad you reminded me about the hemp. I may, cough, have some tiny hemp doublers coming in the mail . . .

FB isn't all it's cracked up to be, but beyond reconnecting with and then mostly forgetting again about old high school friends, it's been really wonderful getting to know some of the ladies from PS better. One thing led to another and I wound up going on a weekend trip to meet some of the due in 2009 mamas this past spring. It was a total blast and those ladies are some of my closest friends now (they all make fun of me for my CD obsession, ha ha). So I'm not saying you've got to put yourself out there, BUT you can also follow your favorite CD stores and get tips on all their giveaways and sales.

Boo, I just found Happy Heinys Minis way cheaper somewhere else (Baby Frenzy a.k.a. Happy Heinys Store). Certain colors (mainly pink!) are only $12 . . . $10 if you don't need inserts. Oh well, I'll see if I get enough CDs for Christmas and if not I'll see if the sale is still going on.

I've still gotta figure out the cloth wipe thing.

Bella!!!!! Hee hee. Those Lil Joeys are too cute to resist! I was going to tell all the people on DiaperSwappers snatching up used Lil Joey diapers for $10 each about it, and then I was like, nah, more for me and my friends this way . .. ;))

I'd also look there if eBay doesn't pan out because you can sell parts of the stash separately, negotiate, etc.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Me again. Bella, I totally get it. I've gone totally crazy. I don't know where "I don't want to spend a lot of money, I'll just use prefolds" person went. I've been totally obsessing about diapers, checking for deals all.day.long. Tonight I got home from the grocery store where I naughtily bought more candy that we shouldn't be eating, and I said, "I have to confess that I bought more . . ." and DH was like, "Diapers." ;)) No, I didn't even buy the $12 Happy Heinys!

But seriously, I think it's partly not feeling well this pregnancy, and partly a somewhat mindless escape from daily life, and partly nesting. We got down the bins of newborn to 3 month clothes today, and seeing all those little outfits made me feel like maybe I could resist buying more diapers. Since I learned the first time not to buy too many clothes because people will buy you a ton and you can't really predict size and season correctly, I guess I'm taking my nesting urge out on diapers? I don't know. Maybe I will found a cloth diapers anonymous chapter. Just kidding. Mostly.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
hahahahahahah PG--yeah, they are cute, they have a decent resale value, the thrill of the hunt/deal is great (plus the good deals are pretty much equal to resale), and it's some kind of primal nesting thing, and intellectually ...when we were TTC and then in the adoption process DH was like "diapers?@!?@!?@!" to every package we received:) :lol:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Dunno if I should add to the CD buying binge, but Zulily is having a sale on Fuzzibunz.
~LC

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear, I've turned into a monster. I am only 31 weeks pregnant tomorrow but here is what I have purchased so far:

9 Bambooty small AIOs (mix of Easy Peasy and Easy Dry)
3 Bambooty medium AIOs
3 Bambooty Easy One Size AIOs
6 Charlie Banana pockets
4 Bumgenius 4.0s - mix of hook/loop and snaps
3 Bumgenius Elemental AIOs
3 Designerbums pockets
2 Green Acre Designs newborn pockets
2 Flips and 4 extra organic prefolds
6 Bummis organic prefolds
3 Imse Vimse Newborn organic covers
1 Thirsties small cover
2 Thirsties medium covers
A dozen Dappy bamboo flat nappies
6 Dappy stretch bamboo newborn prefolds

Lordy.

Those of you who are experienced with CDing small babies (birth to ~2 months), how do you think I'll go with the 9 Bambooties AIOs, 2 GAD pockets, 3 Imse Vimse covers, 12 prefolds (Bummis and stretch Dappies) and 12 bamboo flats? I am assuming that the Thirsties size small cover will be a bit big initially. Do I have enough? We will still be using some disposables. I know that AIOs take much longer to dry and we'll be using up a lot more nappies in the first month or two, but our baby will be born in the middle of the scorching Australian summer so line drying should work a treat.

Am I correct to assume that the one-size nappies (BG, CB, Flips, etc) are more suitable once bub is a bit bigger?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear. My size small (newborn) Bambooty stash just arrived and they are completely the cutest things I've ever seen :twirl:

The strawberry print ones are night nappies (AIO with 3 sewn in liner flaps), the shorter-rise ones are Easy Dry (AIO with 2 sewn in flaps) and the others are Easy Peasy (classic AIO). I got 11 in total.

Bambooties.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pancake, those are ADORABLE.

I haven't CDed a newborn yet either, but my friend said that her size small FuzziBunz didn't fit until 9 weeks or so. I'm not sure that 3 NB covers, 18 prefolds/flats, and 2 pockets would be enough to CD full time at first (Did I miss anything else you'd be using on a NB?). I've heard you want 24 to 36 prefolds/flats and at least 6 covers (to wash every other day), but you can handwash the covers so as long as you're on the ball you could make do with three. And you can always wait until you see how long your stash is lasting and whether your size small diapers are fitting or close to fitting before you buy more (says she who can't stop buying ;)) ).

So . . . now I have 16 Lil Joeys. I just couldn't stop buying. I figured out how to get them for $8.30/each and cleaned out that store that was clearancing them. I hope I like them! DH had DD bring me my latest diaper package and say, "You're crazy Mommy," (well, she tried to, at least). Luckily he is tolerant and finds humor in the situation. I explained that at least it's not shoes or purses.

I have a pregnant friend who CDs, and her diapers are grossly stained. I was telling her about scoring the Lil Joeys so cheap and how I can resell them for what I paid, probably, and she was like, yeah, and when you're done with them, I"ll be having a baby! She is not a stingy person so I am sure she intends to rent or buy them from me and wasn't expecting me just to lend them to her (she's always overpaying for used diapers, like $12 for good used condition S FuzziBunz), but is it really horrible that my reaction was, oh, but I can't lend them to you before I resell them because you'll just make them gross and stained? I'd feel bad expecting a friend to pay me what I paid or even more, but I also don't want to get them back in gross condition and then take a hit on their resale value. I know this is what friends are for and I need to get over it . . . I was just looking forward to seeing what I could sell them for. That's part of the fun, ya know?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
PG, I have (or will shortly have) 24 prefolds and flats, the 2 GAD newborns, and since I posted my list I have acquired 2 Imse Vimse wool covers at all - so that makes 5 covers (3 IV organics, 2 wool). The Bambooties apparently run on the small side and reading online reviews it looks like they fit newborns nicely so hopefully that will be the case for us. The lower row of snaps is for the shorter newborn crotch, BUT many people say that their kids are in medium Bambooties by 2 months or even just under, and that for bigger newborns they never used the lower row of snaps... In which case we should have enough I THINK - enough at this stage, anyway, to not buy any more!!

The Lil Joeys are really cute! I totally understand why you would not want to lend them to someone who is not as fastidious as you... none of my close friends have used cloth so I don't have the same dilemma but I would definitely feel the same way.

Has anyone here used Loveybums prefolds? I bought a couple as they were on final sale and get good reviews, but am wondering how I am meant to use them. They are cotton fleece on one side, velour on the other, and I am assuming that the velour is the "inside" surface - does that mean that they are meant to be used with the edges rolled in and Snappi-ed, rather than trifolded or angel wing folded?

Also got a starter pack of 200 Imse Vimse liners on the cheap. I know we don't need them at the start, but I like things to be complete :D

Husband is slowly getting enthused too... this morning (about 2 minutes ago actually) he randomly said, "Actually, these nappies are probably a lot more comfortable for the baby too, aren't they? They feel a lot softer than disposables..."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results