shape
carat
color
clarity

Something a bit unusual...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! It''s going to make a very amazing solitare!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW! Pretty Pretty!!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stats:

Darkish medium gray spinel with slight blue/purple color change
Daniel Stair
1.07cts
5.97 x 6.56

I asked him if he had any gray gems-specifically spinels because I wanted something that would reflect a bit of light, but that would be as close to gray as possible. He found this for me, and I asked him to cut it. He''s big on vibrant saturated colors, so I highly doubt he would have cut this without my influence. So this is the result of my looking for a gray gem. I think I want another one that is lighter, perhaps to go into a pendant, but this thing really is amazing in the sun and under my halogens. And it certainly makes me happy.

So I''m thinking a white gold setting-solitaire, possibly something I could wear instead of my ering (on my left hand) to still wear a ring if I want to give my real ering a break and still bust out with some bling. We shall see what FF thinks of this plan...

I did say unusual after all....asked for it, and got it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 5:18:48 PM
Author: innerkitten
This looks interesting, beautiful cut. So this is a blue spinel right? It looks a bit purple too. Does this stone change color in different lighting? I have one from him that goes from a darker blue ( like the photo of yours) to a lavander.

What are your thoughts on it so far?
I love it. It's not something you can pick up at a B&M, it's not something most people would pick out at all, because it's far from being a rich or vibrant *jewel tone* that people are used to. It's different, and I can't wait to set it. For a little bit there I thought of putting it in rose gold to bring it out even more, but I think I like the idea of keeping it very cool toned.

And no one will be able to figure out what it is. Muah ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I like it - fun stone, and will never get boring with changes like that!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 5:35:47 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 8/20/2008 5:18:48 PM
Author: innerkitten
This looks interesting, beautiful cut. So this is a blue spinel right? It looks a bit purple too. Does this stone change color in different lighting? I have one from him that goes from a darker blue ( like the photo of yours) to a lavander.

What are your thoughts on it so far?
I love it. It''s not something you can pick up at a B&M, it''s not something most people would pick out at all, because it''s far from being a rich or vibrant *jewel tone* that people are used to. It''s different, and I can''t wait to set it. For a little bit there I thought of putting it in rose gold to bring it out even more, but I think I like the idea of keeping it very cool toned.

And no one will be able to figure out what it is. Muah ha ha ha ha ha!!!
LOL! Awesome.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Elisabeth - it''s lovely!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, that is one of the most seriously incredible stones. It''s so freaking cool! You''re definitely inspiring me to add a grey stone to my list. Pretty pretty.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
OHHHH Freke, that''s a really pretty stone! I can''t wait to see it set and on your hand! Keep us posted!

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Soooooooo pretty! I love how different it is!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Pandora, gecko, LTP, princesss, CrookedRock and misspinky! I''m in love with it. It''s absolutely fascinating and I can''t stop looking at it. It''s crazy how much it changes from different type of light to different type of light. When there is low light, it looks almost black, but as soon as light hits it, it''s amazing.

BF doesn''t think it''s really that cool-but what does he know? Besides he''s one of those vibrant jewel tone lovers.

I think I just gave myself a new gem passion...who knew it''d be such a *drab boring* color?!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty!!
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very pretty Freke, I am glad you found what you were looking for.
36.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Cool stone, looks like it has lots of life. I bet is is fun to look at in real life.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I showed it to BF, who thinks it''s pretty cool. I got excited, and then combined two of my favourite things in the world.

"See, it''s a gem, but it''s grey like...like an ELEPHANT!"

And now I have to have one. Anything sparkly that reminds me of an elephant is a must have.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!!!

Lol Princesss. That''s fantastic. Elephants are pretty amazing animals!

I seriously want more gray gemstones. This is bad...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 12:24:45 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I''m not scary
7.gif

Its a lovely stone, tho.
No, you''re not scary. But you used my full name! That IS scary! I only get called that when I''m in TROUBLE. (Which is actually pretty often, truthfully...) But still!

Don''t worry SDL, I still
30.gif
you!!!

And thank you for the compliment on my stone. He appreciates that!

historychick

Shiny_Rock
wow I love it especially that last picture....Dan sure does do a good job. Congrats it suites you to a tee.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks historychick! Dan really does do a great job. I should have taken more pics of the amethyst I have of his outside today-during the brief rays of sunshine I had...

Hee hee hee about the fitting me to a tee. Does this mean I'm gray and sparkly?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It is so YOU!! It''s very pretty. I love that the color is so unique and the cut is beautiful. It''s perfect for you Freke!!
36.gif

I am so glad I didn''t see the thread while you were being a tease, because I would have wanted to choke you.
11.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hee hee hee. I''m guessing you were at work. I kept having issues. Stupid internet went wacko, my mom called and was bi+ching about my dad, and then I got the email from John about the ering stone he was cutting for me not working out.

Not one of my best moments. But if you were going to choke me, that would mean you''d have to come to NM to do it, and then we could go shoe shopping! And how much fun would that be?!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It would be super fun...until I got the bill.
11.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heck yeah it's be super fun!!!

I've been being naughty in the Who's Who subforum...

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I saw that my little "Wicked One"
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Muah ha ha ha ha!!!!

I like that nickname....very fitting.

11.gif
27.gif
11.gif
27.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That''s one interesting stone. I suppose you don''t have problems coming up with what to do with it, but just in case...
9.gif

Since the stone carries that "may force be with you" ultra modern sci-fi kind of look, maybe setting it in tension setting, or something that looks like it, might not be a bad idea. Simple, elegant, a bit unusual (just like the stone) and definately not another "four prong solitaire brilliant" kind of rings.

Whatever you do with it, make sure to have fun
2.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
that is a really interesting stone, so many aspects! Good luck to you Freke, wear it in health
Ma re''s setting suggestions were inspiring to me, also...

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s a beautiful stone. Very cool.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 10:31:29 PM
Author: princesss
I showed it to BF, who thinks it''s pretty cool. I got excited, and then combined two of my favourite things in the world.

''See, it''s a gem, but it''s grey like...like an ELEPHANT!''

And now I have to have one. Anything sparkly that reminds me of an elephant is a must have.
Omg I didn''t even think of that, and I LOVE elephants! I collect elephant figurines :D I''ll have to show you the one DH got me when we got engaged, it''s adorable.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ma re I actually considered putting it in a tension setting, but unless it was slightly more delicate, I''m afraid that it would look kind of masculine-which is not what I''d want to go with. It does kind of have a Star Wars/sci fi look to it doesn''t it? With the dark gray color and throwing off the crazy mini rainbows. I think I''ll have to just look for something that stands out. I probably won''t be able to set it for a while, so I have a bit of time to think about it.

SDL That does sound pretty together, I''m Elizabeth Marie, and I always had the same middle name as everyone else.

What kind of idea do you have for a RHR? I wanna hear about it!

LaraOnline Thanks! It''s a bit of an odd stone, but I love it.

ahappygirl Thanks! I can''t wait to set it.

MonkeyPie You guys and your elephants...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results