shape
carat
color
clarity

ideas for my spess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Annette,

I like Zoltan David's ring very much. We have done things similar in structure. First a circular ring is formed then it is wrapped with another that is left open at the top to accomadate the stone. If you look at the "just off the jeweler's bench" in our contemporary gallery there is an 18k tanzanite. In that setting we used the side pieces to protect the stone and left the other sides open to show the pavillion. Not a bad idea for a stone worn every day!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 11:06:37 PM
Author: movie zombie
http://www.rwwise.com/index_content.html

http://www.rwwise.com/index_content.html

http://www.rwwise.com/index_content.html i wonder if this could be done with mokume?

http://www.rwwise.com/index_content.html ditto?

and my all time favorite of his: http://www.rwwise.com/index_content.html

i also see possibilities with this one: http://www.rwwise.com/index_content.html

All those links just go to his main page, which rings in particular were you looking at?

Oh, and if you figure out the secret to becoming more focused could you let me know too? I have a few more stones I''d like to get set and I''m all over the board with them as well. :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep, kismet, i''m going to have to do this the hard way re those rings at rwwise!

my absolute fav of his doesn''t have an inventory number so go to rwwise.com, go to Contemporary Jewelry then to Just Off The Designer''s Bench: find the 7.06 Carat Vivid Yellow Diamond Ring and it is that setting this is my absolute fav at his website.

also check his inventory numbers: 1810RMS, 5849RMS, 6791RMS.

i''m also considering red or green gold.....

rather than getting more specific, i''m getting more confused!

peace, movie zombie

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
M.Z. I have found it can tough to set larger stones in rings. The depth of the stone (any large stone) is the problem. With an imporant stone like that you may want to consult a pro to design a setting for this stone. I made a east west setting for my wife a few years ago that was a semi bezel.

IMG_0559_1_1.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2005 8:31:39 AM
Author: Richard W. Wise

I like Zoltan David's ring ...
This is so depressing...

...it is always a shock to see something very close to the most intimate prefferences and choices already done somewhere. With jewelry, this happens sometimes - the more I get to see the more convinced I get that making something 'new' is impossible. But still, I hoped Zoltan's quilt inlay and engraving would have never happened.

Anyway, the website is out there (LINK). For some reason, his AGTA award winning piece never quite registered. The others are allot better, IMO.

jewelry_photo3.jpg

Perhaps some colored 'dots' would go well next to a certain huge, bright orange garnet?
2.gif

sept_04_suite.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, that vivid yellow diamond ring is stunning. I think your spess would look awesome in a setting like that.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2005 6:32:10 PM
Author: colormyworld
M.Z. I have found it can tough to set larger stones in rings. The depth of the stone (any large stone) is the problem. With an imporant stone like that you may want to consult a pro to design a setting for this stone. I made a east west setting for my wife a few years ago that was a semi bezel.
yes, that is exactly the problem: the depth on this beauty is 8mm!!! and once set will probably sit 9-9.5 mm above my finger!!!!!

the david zoltan is set with over a 10k color stone......i think that''s part of why i''m attracted to it.

i spoke with richard wise, who is a pro and who sold me my precious, for about an hour this a.m. but i''m still floundering as i really want simple clean lines, classy/classic and yet nontraditional, as well as protection for the stone, particularly the girdle....and i want to see that pavillion!

and because of the size of the gem, i''m pretty well stuck having to do a north/south orientation.....

don''t want much, do i?!

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2005 6:32:10 PM
Author: colormyworld
btw, colormyword, i like the thin bezel you did on that ring for your wife! so many are just HUGE!

peace, movie zombie

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So many choices. I like all different styles of jewelry too to it makes it so hard to choose. I love the hammered yellow gold ring. I think matte metal is always nice with sparkling gems. I think at least a semi (if not full) bezel is necessary for your gem. Better to be protected. You should look at the halo thread to see how they are mounted. I think something like that but without the diamonds would be beautiful. That could be a great look.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you MZ This is a 7.55ct sapphire. It is 12.5 by 9.0 with 7.8mm for the depth.

IMG_0565_1_1.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kismet, richard says that it would be even easier to do my oval spess than it was the emerald cut yellow diamond in that setting...some modifications but the basics are that the spess would sit down into the setting....

ana, its zoltan''s award winning piece that i covet! that stone is over 10 carats but it is round, rather than oval. now spess is a rather fat oval but its a definite oval. there would have to be some modifications....but then that''s probably true of any ring i end up with. the problem with getting such a large stone is that it requires a custom made setting.

what i like about richard''s scintillation ring is that it ''captures'' the light leakage from that diamond. and i would want the same for my spess. i''d have to send the spess back to richard so he could play with it to make sure the spess would behave the same way. and now we''re talking platinum and a mounting that would cost more than my spess!

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2005 7:34:20 PM

what i like about richard''s scintillation ring is that it ''captures'' the light leakage from that diamond. and i would want the same for my spess.
Sounds nice!
1.gif
... at least in strong light.

Do you know this one? It surely shows allot of pavilion. A split shank would make it lighter too, and would show even more stone from the sides.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGO.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ana, i like the looks of the one you posted but the exposed ends make me nervous...

how about this one?

peace, movie zombie

sapphire-bypass.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2005 2:13:06 AM

ana, i like the looks of the one you posted but the exposed ends make me nervous...

In any of these you could have a rim of metal protecting the girdle, like there is in Zoltan's rings.

how about this one?

Well, why not
2.gif
I wish it would be done somehow that the pavilion is not covered by a 'bucket'.
That ring reminds me of an even simpler swirl setting at R. W. Wise jewelers - the same is done with a small pinkish garnet and with a larger stone I can't remember what.

Say... this is a 'swirl' that holds a large thing, shows some detail between the two 'leaves'. If the pearl is a bit larger than 10mm (which it probably is), than the proportions of the ring get close to your plans too...

Black%20pearl%2022k%20ring_small.jpg

The same sort of bezels look pretty nice with faceted stones too:

Cooper%20ring.jpg

homepageemeraldppsmall.jpg

These are rings by Paul Gross...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ana, i like all three but the 2nd and 3rd definitely have my attention and i think lots of possibility!

i''m not really sure how much light leakage this spess has and as you noted earlier, it really is only in direct very heavy sunlight. perhaps a scintillation ''chamber'' is overkill.....

peace, annette

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
how about a thin bezel then a band that goes from one end loops towards the center then under the finger then loops out to the other end of the stone on the other side.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is very badly drawn maybe Val or someone can draw it much better for you if your interested.

idrawverybad1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2005 11:58:26 PM
Author: strmrdr
this is very badly drawn maybe Val or someone can draw it much better for you if your interested.
i like that idea, too. something simple yet protective. i''m liking the idea of a thin bezel but one that comes up and like a flower petal perhaps provides protection for the crown. wouldn''t have to rise too much to do that. richard''s ring with the yellow diamond does that.

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2005 1:14:16 PM

... i'm liking the idea of a thin bezel but one that comes up and like a flower petal perhaps provides protection for the crown.
Sure you know this... from Christian Bauer:

JCB_RI_DI.jpg

And the one below is just supposed to show the unusual sort of setting with the 'prongs' like slivers of a bezel and the frame of metal on the girdle.

AlmostBezel.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ-

You posted a link to this ring by Gurhan for me in another thread. It looks sturdy enough to hold a large stone. What do you think of setting your spessartite in it?

Deb

MZRing.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, so we''ve decided to decide what we want for the spess is something ''organic''. the paul gross website gave me some more ideas. here''s #1

paul gross 1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 but w/o the side stones:

paul gross 2.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and #3:

paul gross 3.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the 4th fav is richard wise''s scintillation ring w/the yellow diamond.

all have elements in common and allow viewing of the pavillion.

so, i feel like progress is being made. i''m not sure i can narrow it down much further. i need to get the spess out and play with it a bit and see if ''it speaks to me'' as to which design might be the one to be played with further. additionally, i''m thinking i want something that is wider in the band than any of these. but i would hope that any one of them could be adapted.

let me know your thoughts, please!

peace, movie zombie

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ,
Love the #1 and #3 Gross rings. Don''t like #2 at all -- I think with the depth and size of your spess, the ring would turn out too clunky. And the metalwork doesn''t flow as nicely on that ring as on the others and it isn''t as well executed IMHO. Are you going to use him to make your ring? If not, I would certainly choose someone else who is as highly skilled in metalwork.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 5:51:31 PM
Author: Matata
MZ,
Love the #1 and #3 Gross rings. Don''t like #2 at all -- I think with the depth and size of your spess, the ring would turn out too clunky. And the metalwork doesn''t flow as nicely on that ring as on the others and it isn''t as well executed IMHO. Are you going to use him to make your ring? If not, I would certainly choose someone else who is as highly skilled in metalwork.
thanks for the feedback, matata! i think you''re right re clunky...... got the spess from richard wise and because he''s very familiar with the stone, will probably send it back to him to play with. he got his start in metal work and i''m very impressed with his scintillation ring.

i really like tension settings but i don''t think it would work for this spess due to its size.....

a learning lesson: large carat gem size brings its own set of problems...!

peace, movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2005 5:22:51 PM
the 4th fav is richard wise''s scintillation ring w/the yellow diamond.

I need to see that. Can you post it? I cannot see it with Netscape navigator and will have to try IE. I think I saw it in the past, but cannot recall it!

Deb

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
deb, richard''s website doesn''t allow me to copy pictures so it has to be done the hard way:

it doesn''t have an inventory number so go to rwwise.com, go to Contemporary Jewelry then to Just Off The Designer''s Bench: find the 7.06 Carat Vivid Yellow Diamond Ring and it is that setting this is my absolute fav at his website.

peace, movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
OOOOOH, MZ! I'm so glad you're making progress!

Thanks for your directions on RW's site...I went looking for that ring and needed them!

I think that scintillation ring may be my favorite. If your spess reflects like the diamond does in that picture your ring would be BLINDING!
10.gif

Of the Gross pieces posted so far, my favorite is this one Ana posted earlier. I like the curvy, organic "flow". Now that I think of it, nos 1 and 3 would be more curvy looking with your stone since yours doesn't have corners..
1.gif

It will be so much fun to see what Richard comes up with after he's played with the stone!

widget

PS: Could Richard send YOU pics of the scintillation ring? I'd love to see it in profile....and then YOU could post them here...
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results