shape
carat
color
clarity

Zits & Wrinkles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Okay, can anyone explain why in my late thirties I would still break out often (and not just at certain times of the month) AND yet I continue to accumulate wrinkles too.
20.gif
It just doesn''t seem fair - shouldn''t it be one or the other? I drink lots of water, keep my skin clean and eat healthy for the most part.

Does anyone else have this complaint?

Thanks,

Heather

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
not me, but my mom! she''s older than you, and her complaint was blackheads. our dermatologist recommended glycolic facials done at his office. he said that its considerably stronger than what you''d get at a spa. i have a friend my age who was never able to clear her skin up and her dermatologist recommended mircoderm. once again, i''d recommend using the dermatologist for this instead of a spa, a good family friend of ours got burned from it at a spa when someone didn''t know what they were doing (she had been having it done for over a year and then they switched people on her and that''s when it happened...). I know that''s not the case for probably 99% of people, but I feel like there''d be more safe guards at a doctors office. plus its stronger (but usually more expensive
20.gif
) The great thing about both of those procedures is that they''re considered anti-aging and help clear up skin, so two in one.

here''s a bit on the microderm: http://www.surgery.org/public/procedures-microderm.php
I couldnt find anything on the professional glycolic facials, my mom loves hers...also, her insurance covers hers. my friends insurance didn''t cover the microdermabrasion, but that may depend on your policy.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
hormones, baby, hormones. they are changing. you could perhaps be perimenopausal which can contribute to adult type acne.

many women continue to have zit problems. if you can afford an ongoing program of peals, etc. you can keep it from getting worse and at least make yourself feel better.

peace, movie zombie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2005 11:00:17 AM
Author: movie zombie
hormones, baby, hormones. they are changing. you could perhaps be perimenopausal which can contribute to adult type acne.
many women continue to have zit problems.
HI:

This has to be the case for me. I had a few breakouts when I was a teen--but nothing like what I am experiencing now. I now have two symptons of peri-menopause--adult acne and insomnia. I am seeing my Doc for my annual physical soon, so I''ll talk to him about what I can do. I wonder, do adults regularily get Acutane perscribed for such skin problems?

cheers--Sharon

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2005 3:41:39 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 6/8/2005 11:00:17 AM
Author: movie zombie
many women continue to have zit problems.
HI:

This has to be the case for me. I had a few breakouts when I was a teen--but nothing like what I am experiencing now. I now have two symptons of peri-menopause--adult acne and insomnia. I am seeing my Doc for my annual physical soon, so I''ll talk to him about what I can do. I wonder, do adults regularily get Acutane perscribed for such skin problems?

cheers--Sharon
Hi:

Thanks for your responses. I guess I never thought about being perimenopausal - okay now I''m really depressed.
8.gif
lol It''s usually t-zone and it''s not that bad but it is very annoying and frustrating!!

Sharon - I don''t know if acutane is often perscribed for adults and I wonder what other options there are out there.

Here I was suspecting the culprit was stress OR could it be the red wine??????
31.gif

Heather

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2005 12:13:56 AM
Author: Blue824
not me, but my mom! she''s older than you, and her complaint was blackheads. our dermatologist recommended glycolic facials done at his office. he said that its considerably stronger than what you''d get at a spa. i have a friend my age who was never able to clear her skin up and her dermatologist recommended mircoderm. once again, i''d recommend using the dermatologist for this instead of a spa, a good family friend of ours got burned from it at a spa when someone didn''t know what they were doing (she had been having it done for over a year and then they switched people on her and that''s when it happened...). I know that''s not the case for probably 99% of people, but I feel like there''d be more safe guards at a doctors office. plus its stronger (but usually more expensive
20.gif
) The great thing about both of those procedures is that they''re considered anti-aging and help clear up skin, so two in one.

here''s a bit on the microderm: http://www.surgery.org/public/procedures-microderm.php
I couldnt find anything on the professional glycolic facials, my mom loves hers...also, her insurance covers hers. my friends insurance didn''t cover the microdermabrasion, but that may depend on your policy.
Thanks for the info Blue824
emteeth.gif
Glad your mom found something to help.

Heather

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Everyone I know who has tried Proactive has loved it--it clears up skin and the exfoliation actually helps wrinkles... If you order from QVC, you can return it and get a full refund within 30 days. My skin is pretty good but I am thinking of trying it becasue it has made my friends'' skin look like babies'' bottoms!
6.gif
1.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2005 10:15:22 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
Everyone I know who has tried Proactive has loved it--it clears up skin and the exfoliation actually helps wrinkles... If you order from QVC, you can return it and get a full refund within 30 days. My skin is pretty good but I am thinking of trying it becasue it has made my friends'' skin look like babies'' bottoms!
6.gif
1.gif
Thanks for the advice Jenn - do you know who makes Proactive?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Two women dermatologists started the company several years ago. Here is a link to the basic system on QVC: Proactiv

I am not rying to push QVC but honestly, I have had nothing but good experiences with them...you don't like it after a couple of weeks, pack it up and send it back, and you're only out $5 for shipping. I think you can buy it through mail order or infomercials but to me, QVC is the easiest.

1.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
hlmr,
Sorry you are going through this. I can relate. I never had acne/pimples growing up and then right around 31 I started having pimples
7.gif
I did the whole retin-a/antibiotic combination and that helped some, but it was still very frustrating to be dealing with this as an adult.

I stopped all the dermatologist stuff and started Pro Active a couple of years ago and it is an amazing system. It''s a 3 step process and if you use it consistently you will see results. I do find that if I skip a day or two that I will begin to break out again, so you have to be committed to it. Pro Active has given me better results than anything I''ve ever tried.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I know everyone raves about proactive and I''ll try not to rain on the parade, but my experience with them was below average. I lived in the middle east for just under a year and a half for the military and the daily heat, combined with sand being blasted on my face all day, gave my once great skin a bad look. When I got back home, I had to deal with constant breakouts along my jawline and chin. I drank alot of water, washed my face twice a day, etc, but nothing was working. I ordered proactive and was excited when the package came. However, if you have sensitive, thin skin on your face (which I do), the cream ( I forget which one) that they give you may be too thick for your skin to handle and may make you breakout more. Intstead of my skin improving, I had more breakouts form in my problem area! I actually had one blemish that sprouted one ON TOP of it
14.gif
. So I quit using it and started simply using oxy pads, which really worked and is what I use now.

of course, proactive is designed mainly for people who have real bad acne problems. I still have pretty good skin and like I said, its sensitive and thin, so it gets aggrevated easily by thicker creams. I''m also only 25, so my skin is fairly young and doesn''t need much.

If you are in your late thirties, I would probably go ahead and recommend trying proactive, as your skin can probably handle the toner and creams just fine! Hope it works out for you
1.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I used ProActiv for a while and liked the results too...what I didn't like was the cost and waiting for them to ship my next "kit" while I was practically running out of the toner or one of the other products.

I found that Wal-Mart has a ProActiv "knock off" that actually works REALLY well! It's called "Acne Free" and has the same 3-step process. I can only use it in the morning as twice a day really dries out my face. And it's 1/3 the cost!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Jenn, Libster, Irish Eyes & AChiO for your advice.
emteeth.gif

I ordered proactiv late last night and I will try it out and hope for good results. I don''t have a lot of acne but it is a constant these days and I hope to say goodbye once and for all with this new product. I also have sensitive skin so I will heed your advice and go easy with the cream.

I will let everyone know how it works out for me.

Thanks again,

Heather

blumoon

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I used proactive and was very happy with it. When I got pregnant I stopped using it due to the heavy chemicals. Be very careful around any colored fabrics, there is some serious bleach affect. I haven''t gone back on it though I do consider it sometimes! MY 2c

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I haven''t had a chance to read through the responses so hopefully I''m not repeating, BUT, have you tried changing face creams? You may be reacting to an ingredient in one of your lotions.

Also, do you pull your hair back away from your face at night AND change your pillow case every day? Both of these will help minimize products accumulating on your face during the eight (or so) hours your face rubs up against your pillow each night. (Try using Dreft detergent, too, as this is very gentle on the skin.)

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi Blumoon:

Thanks for your info. I received the product yesterday so I am hoping to see results within a couple of weeks
1.gif

The bottles are pretty small though...it is the introductory kit.

Heather

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2005 5:08:40 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen
Hi,

I haven''t had a chance to read through the responses so hopefully I''m not repeating, BUT, have you tried changing face creams? You may be reacting to an ingredient in one of your lotions.

Also, do you pull your hair back away from your face at night AND change your pillow case every day? Both of these will help minimize products accumulating on your face during the eight (or so) hours your face rubs up against your pillow each night. (Try using Dreft detergent, too, as this is very gentle on the skin.)
Hi Michelle:

Yes, I have tried different creams and products but to no avail. I don''t change my pillow case every day but usually every 5 days so perhaps that could help. Thanks for the tip.
emteeth.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2005 3:13:33 PM
Author: blumoon
Hi all, I used proactive and was very happy with it. When I got pregnant I stopped using it due to the heavy chemicals. Be very careful around any colored fabrics, there is some serious bleach affect. I haven''t gone back on it though I do consider it sometimes! MY 2c
Blumoon,
GREAT ADVICE!!! I totally forgot about the "bleaching" that can happen.

hlmr,
You''ll have to let us know how it goes. It will probably take 7-14 days before you start to really see the effects. Good Luck!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Libster - I will definitely give feedback to everyone.

Heather

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2005 5:30:18 PM
Author: Libster

Blumoon,
GREAT ADVICE!!! I totally forgot about the ''bleaching'' that can happen.

hlmr,
You''ll have to let us know how it goes. It will probably take 7-14 days before you start to really see the effects. Good Luck!
When you buy a face product, if it lists Benzoyl Peroxide (sorry if I spelled that wrong) it can have a bleaching effect.

When I use a product with that, usually if I need something cleared up asap! i wear a white tshirt and remove my good bedding from my bed and make sure its a white pillowcase. Pain in the butt, but I have ruined too many things! The worst was when my bf would grab a product and stick it on his face and I wouldnt know and it would end up bleaching some of my clothes/bedding. Ugh, he never heard the end of it.

Michelle mentioned changing your pillowcase, that''s a huge help. Hair products, oils from your face, all that stuff can lead to break outs.

Good luck with the proactiv
1.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2005 1:07:36 AM

Date: 6/18/2005 5:30:18 PM
Author: Libster

Blumoon,
GREAT ADVICE!!! I totally forgot about the ''bleaching'' that can happen.

hlmr,
When you buy a face product, if it lists Benzoyl Peroxide (sorry if I spelled that wrong) it can have a bleaching effect.

When I use a product with that, usually if I need something cleared up asap! i wear a white tshirt and remove my good bedding from my bed and make sure its a white pillowcase. Pain in the butt, but I have ruined too many things! The worst was when my bf would grab a product and stick it on his face and I wouldnt know and it would end up bleaching some of my clothes/bedding. Ugh, he never heard the end of it.

Michelle mentioned changing your pillowcase, that''s a huge help. Hair products, oils from your face, all that stuff can lead to break outs.

Good luck with the proactiv
1.gif
Also, don''t use wash cloths and towels that are dyed. Use white only. Even if a towel/wash cloth is 20 years old, if its still blue, red or green, it still has dyes in it. The dyes can irritate your skin and cause problems as well.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Glycolic acid is your very best friend. I''m fortunate enough to only break out every now and then (and of course, I think the world ends when that happens)... I have other issues though... and glycolic acid is your friend for zits and wrinkles. By sloughing off the dead cells, it will help to inhibit blockage which = zits. Also, I am an Omega 3 complex acid activist now LOL. It is AMAZING. 8-% of people don''t take enough.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Thanks blue824, diamonds4me & moremoremore for your great tips!

I am so glad I asked you all for suggestions regarding my break outs - it is a minor irritation in life but one that I can fix, so I do appreciate all your input!
1.gif
35.gif

Heather

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
One thing I''ve learned is to never be afraid to ask
9.gif
Believe me, this was to help you..but it helped me out a lot as well and probably a few more, too.
1.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to update this thread by saying I see a definite improvement in my skin after using the proactiv for the past two weeks. I am continuing to have some breakouts (like the horn currently residing between my eyebrows
20.gif
but all in all things are looking better.
21.gif

Even my hubby commented that my skin looked better! The only downfall was that my neck was starting to feel rather "sandpaperish" so I am taking it easy with the product in that area. I find the toner to be quite drying so I am using it mostly on my t-zone.

Heather

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I know how frustrating it can be to find the right combination of products -- glad you found ones you''re happy with!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
HLMR: hormones and aging can affect skin, and so can type of water (hard or soft), how you use the phone (germ filled and rubbing on one side...) if you pick (should never do it but we all have!)...and you can get used to products over time and they lose effectiveness. I too am now having acne issues at almost 40 with three kids...ugh. I went to the dermatologist. She told me NOT to use lotion, it clogs pores. I thought one always had to hydrate, not add oil or other blocking things...live and learn. She then gave me a scrip for a retinol type thing. I went to fill it and was told I had to pay 135.00 (!) for the tube since I am "too old" for my insurance to cover it. DISCRIMINATION against older gals with what is considered a teen ager''s problem...meanwhile, the pharmacist said that women can break out at any age! (How charming). I also know that Proactive has worked for lots of people...I tried it but I am a lazy and not consistent person with that stuff!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2005 12:42:05 AM
I know how frustrating it can be to find the right combination of products -- glad you found ones you''re happy with!
Thanks Blue824 - so far so good!

Heather

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2005 1:09:05 AM
Author: diamondfan
HLMR: hormones and aging can affect skin, and so can type of water (hard or soft), how you use the phone (germ filled and rubbing on one side...) if you pick (should never do it but we all have!)...and you can get used to products over time and they lose effectiveness. I too am now having acne issues at almost 40 with three kids...ugh. I went to the dermatologist. She told me NOT to use lotion, it clogs pores. I thought one always had to hydrate, not add oil or other blocking things...live and learn. She then gave me a scrip for a retinol type thing. I went to fill it and was told I had to pay 135.00 (!) for the tube since I am ''too old'' for my insurance to cover it. DISCRIMINATION against older gals with what is considered a teen ager''s problem...meanwhile, the pharmacist said that women can break out at any age! (How charming). I also know that Proactive has worked for lots of people...I tried it but I am a lazy and not consistent person with that stuff!
Hi diamondfan - Yes, I do believe hormones are definitely involved here and yes, it is so frustrating b/c most women our age don''t have to worry about having chronic breakouts! Please do give proactiv another shot and you may find it works for you too.
21.gif

Heather

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
I''m 44 & have never had a really bad blemish problem but for some reason I have break outs around my mouth. If I pick at them just a little they leave little brown scars. I have used a product for scars called Maderma & it works! I bought a Walgreen brand that is cheaper & works just as good. What I noticed is that it helps with wrinkles too! It evens out your skin imperfections if you use it 2 X a day. It''s made of onions so it''s pretty safe. Also keep in mind that Rosecia causes acne in women our age!! If it''s not one thing it''s another!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results