shape
carat
color
clarity

zales horror.

bo0st

Rough_Rock
Hi all! My fiance proposed in October with a ring from Zales. I know, I know. We're young, and he hadn't ever bought jewelry before let alone a diamond and he figured that a store so popular HAD to be a good place to buy an engagement ring. While I have become very attached to the ring, on par with everything else Zales produces, the stone is cut improperly and of poor quality, and it's unimaginably fragile - a two prong tension setting. :nono:

Anyhow.. We've been engaged since the beginning of October, and I've had to send the ring out three times to get the stone put back in place, and every time it's come back (after being gone 3-4 weeks), the stone's come loose again within 24 hours. The last time that it came back from "repair" the stone came loose before I even left the mall that the store is in, so I went back in and talked to a rep briefly about a more permanent repair for this. She rattled off something about not being able to add prongs to that ring design and needs a new head and something something something I don't even know. The gist of it was that despite having purchased their "Lifetime Warranty/Protection Plan/Whatever other things they offer when you purchase a ring" none of them will cover what needs to be done and it will cost us upward of $150. I know that's not much in the grand scheme of things, but between the warranty and this repair we're looking at spending over half of the purchase price of the ring just to make it wearable. On top of that, with the repair, it will essentially be an entirely different ring as it will compromise the design of the original. It all seems silly, in my opinion. After that conversation, I decided to put the brakes on sending it back out until we had made a real decision about what to do with this ring and had enough room in our budget to upgrade it or purchase something new.

My big question here, is if anyone has experience with returning something to Zales.. Is there any chance at all that they will accept a return outside of the 100 day return policy? Are there any loopholes (such as upgrading the ring, and returning the upgraded ring) to get our money back? Or is it much more likely that we're going to have to just suck it up, buy something new, and allow this ring to sit in a jewelry box gathering dust for the rest of forever?

Thanks all for any ideas!

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock
I haven't return an item over the expiration date, but I have had problems with their lifetime protection plan. I've only bought one item from Zales and it was my S.O. tungsten/ceramic promise ring that he now wears as a wedding band. We were young at the time, but I still would come back now for their large selection of non-gold alternative metal men's ring. Anyhow, since his ring is tungsten and can't be resized, I was told to purchase the lifetime plan which would allow unlimited exchanges for 2 sizes up or down, in the event that his weight ever fluctuated. Over a year later, I bought the ring in to exchange it for 1 size down and explained that since I've purchased the lifetime protection plan, the plan itself had been rewritten. They can only resize rings and since mine can't be resized, an exchange can not be made. :| I reasoned with the manager, finally he said he'll do the exchange but just this ONE TIME. 8) So there you have it. That's Zale's "LIFETIME" protection plan.

Oh they also gave me the option of returning my ring and buying the same ring again in a new size. The price was higher at that time. I think mostly with returns, they'll expect you to upgrade. You will probably not get your money back, but will be given store credit towards another purchase. Best way to find out, call the store. :D

DevinG

Rough_Rock
Hello there!

When my hubby and i got enganged i purchased my ring at Gordons (same corporate umbrella owners as Zales and Piercing Pagoda). Anywho, i had the ring for quite a few months when i noticed it had a chip on the edge (princess cut solitaire). I took it to the store i purchased it from, talked to my sales gal and she sent it off to be inspected to be replaced by their guarantee or whatever. It was gone for like 3 weeks. I went in to talk to my sales gal and she said the corporate people told her it was an external inclusion. I KNOW i didn't purchase it with that chip or whatever they were calling it. I was furious! So i went home, Googled their corporate info, got the name of their CEO, called their customer service line and went off. Told them i wanted a refund ASAP. The lady told me no she couldn't do that. So i name dropped their CEO and threatened to call him. The lady said she would take my info and their Regional sales rep would be calling me within 3 business days to come up with a resolution. Two hours later the Regional rep called me and we came to an agreement that my diamond would be replaced to whatever stone i choose. (if it was more that my original cost, i obviously would pay the diff). It took about 2 months of them bringing in diamonds for me, but i ended up with a new and better diamond. I know if i would have kept quiet, i would've ended up with that chipped diamond :(

I would def call and complain to whomever will listen. Go into where you bought the ring from and demand they fix the problem.

Large corporations think they can walk all over their customers. We have a voice. Write bad reviews, start a complaint with the BBB, contact the FTC. Any forum you can post negative feedback on Zales, do it. Those complaints come up in search results.

Here's their corporate info. there's links to their financials and SEC reports. Oh, and their stock is sadly low....like 4 dollars low :(

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=64546&p=irol-govhighlights

What's that saying.....the squeaky wheel always gets greased. Start squeakin'!! LOL

Best of luck to ya. Hoefully you get a secure setting :wink2:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go to management of the store where you purchased the ring and inquire about a refund. If that doesn't work, go higher (corporate). If that fails (and it very well may), I would actually investigate selling the ring outright and using the money to purchase a ring elsewhere.

ChedWick

Rough_Rock
I would definitely wouldn't settle for that. That kind of constant need for repair is ridiculous, especially considering they back it with a life time warranty. I like the suggestions thus far and here's mine. If things don't start to go your way, give social media a try. They have a FB page. Zales, to my knowledge, is already hurting. Last thing they'd probably want is bad press being shared on social media. Probably have to play your cards right though. Sure it seems like every day something on social media goes viral but that's not a guarantee for you.

SoonerSage

Rough_Rock
I'm not familiar with Zales' return policy. However, I would ask to speak with the manager, explain that within XX days of purchase, the stone was loose. This has happened XX times. It is clearly a design flaw. You brought it to their attention when you first brought it in for repair, or the bench should have known that this is not a safe and secure setting for any stone. Demand a refund, or different setting, or whatever remedy you want. If that gets you nowhere, do as the previous posted did and call the corp office. I have a feeling that that will be the only way that they will refund.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on the result.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you can appeal to the store manager that your problems started well within the 100 days of their guarantee to get a refund and since you like the ring you wanted to work with them, but since this has ocurred many times you feel it is fair to get a full refund. I am afraid that the store manager has no authority but you will have to go higher in the chain, perhaps contact the presidents office. Some time ago I had a problem with a retail store, I complained and laid out my case to the BBB which sent the letter to the company but that did not move them. However, what did move them is when I went online and found the state consumer wathdog agency, now they have "teeth". I sent a full letter and details to them, I then got a call from the retailer whistling a different tune. I don't know what state you live in, but retailers are not afraid of the BBB, but are afraid of the state consumer agency. You may have to raise holy hell in your letter to get the case across, but the means justifies the ends. Good luck.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I don't care what their return policy is ...Is it on a credit card . did you pay in full or his he paying it off. In any case if it is on credit card I believe you can return it and dispute the credit card bill as you have had alot of issues with their product.

I don't care if if was purchase in October. I would also go with the advice of the other PS who went to corporate. You have to live with this ring

speak to the manager on duty. they usually have more authority to make decisions and explain your situation to him/her. good luck,

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a problem with JBRobinson several years ago. I had a pendant that had gone in for repair. After several years I wanted it removed from the pendant and put into something for my daughter. Now JB, Kay and Jared are all under Sterling Jewelers. I took the pendant to Jared with the original paperwork that said I bought a half ct diamond. When taken out of the pendant it weighed .25. Boy was I pissed. I went back to JB and the store manager said I must have switched the diamond or I was trying to pull one over. I asked for her superior. He refused my call. I found out the CEO number and called. I got an apology and the took back the diamond and gave me Jared credit for whatever I wanted. Keep going up the ladder until you get resolution. Threaten to call BBB and your local television station. They will listen.

bo0st

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Thanks so much or the advice! I was feeling pretty hopeless at the time but you all have really made me feel better about this.

What's worse is the ring was purchased online, but everything since then has been through the same woman at the same store. Planning to stop by there tomorrow to see if there's anything that she or anyone else in the store can do. Hopefully that works out, or I'll be seeing where the "higher up" route leads me.

Thanks again :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results