shape
carat
color
clarity

Zales and their Celebration diamond

looking4d

Rough_Rock
Ok, went to a few stores to look at diamonds today.
And yes, I have to admit my girlfriend like the one at Zales the best! (gasp!)

She really liked their celebration diamond (which has 102 facets)
Doing research here, the general consensus is that Zales (like most mall stores) is overpriced. And the quality of the diamond isnt that good, etc...
And that the celebration diamond sparkles more due to the extra facets (pin flash?), but the color and clarity isnt that great.

But...correct me if Im wrong here...the purpose of better color and clarity (and cut) is for the stone to be "shiney" or "sparkly".
So if the celebration diamond is very shiny/sparkly...isnt that a good thing?

Thanks

slg47

Ideal_Rock
looking4d|1291525896|2787649 said:
Ok, went to a few stores to look at diamonds today.
And yes, I have to admit my girlfriend like the one at Zales the best! (gasp!)

She really liked their celebration diamond (which has 102 facets)
Doing research here, the general consensus is that Zales (like most mall stores) is overpriced. And the quality of the diamond isnt that good, etc...
And that the celebration diamond sparkles more due to the extra facets (pin flash?), but the color and clarity isnt that great.

But...correct me if Im wrong here...the purpose of better color and clarity (and cut) is for the stone to be "shiney" or "sparkly".
So if the celebration diamond is very shiny/sparkly...isnt that a good thing?

Thanks

The cut of the diamond will determine how sparkly it is, color does not affect this (affects how icy the diamond looks), clarity will only affect sparkle visibly if very low clarity. Did she look at the diamond in different lighting? Ultimately if she likes the pinflash look rather than a traditional RB then that's what you should get her:). Good Old Gold carries some rounds with different faceting patterns like the Star129 that you may also want to check out.

looking4d

Rough_Rock
slg47|1291526070|2787653 said:
Ultimately if she likes the pinflash look rather than a traditional RB then that's what you should get her:).

She did not look at it through other light.
Only the light in the store, and the little tool they had. It shined light onto the celebration diamond (and a "regular" one) and you can see the difference in sparkly-ness.

Im not sure what you mean by pinflash vs traditional RB (round brillant?)

can you post links to pictures of each so I can understand what you mean.

Thanks

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah so the one with more facets will have 'smaller' flashes of light than a typical RB. you may want to take your GF to the store and have her compare in different lighting to see which one she likes better

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
If it's overpriced, it's overpriced. Fair cost to the consumer takes into account all of the 4 C's, not just one or two. Also, I'd look at the diamond in outdoor lighting, not just with the lighting they use to show it to you.

Also, I wouldn't buy a diamond without knowing its clarity and color, or without having a GIA or AGS report (but that's just me), and before comparing it with the prices from vendors at this website.

You seem to be asking does the cut (quality) override the other factors. No, not exactly when it comes to a PS.

There's also the question of the metal used, the quality, and the markup with the setting.

There's a reason most people at PS don't recommend you buy a diamond ring at Zales (in other words, you are likely to get lower quality AND a higher price).

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think the question here is: what on earth were they comparing the "celebration" cut stone *to*? Perhaps a diamond with a particularly unattractive cut, to make the celebration diamond look better in comparison?

If she likes the look of small splintery facets, you can definitely find that look elsewhere, like the Star129 mentioned above, or the Solasfera. Good Old Gold carries both lines, but other places do as well. I'm not particularly familiar with the Star129, but I know the Solasfera is supposed to be beautifully cut. Not that more and smaller facets actually do create more better light return- it's just a different look.

Personally I wouldn't pay the premium for a stone from Zales- especially without a GIA or AGS cert.

And yeah- those lights in jewelry stores? Definitely make a *huge* difference in how a stone looks. A piece of frozen spit can look good under them.

If I were you, I would look a bit more in person. Jared's is a good place to check out a truly well cut stone vs. more average cuts. Their Peerless line is AGS0, and ideal cut. (I wouldn't buy from there- again, you're paying a huge premium- but it's a good place to look at ideal cuts.) Also Hearts of Fire is another line to check out, for ideal cuts. If she still prefers the look of more facets, then if I were you I'd look for a Solasfera or Star129.

Hope that helps!

The tab up there labeled "Knowledge" on this page, is a good place to start just to get some basic info under your belt, too.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1291534123|2787677 said:
You seem to be asking does the cut (quality) override the other factors. No, not exactly when it comes to a PS.

I should have said: No, not exactly when it comes to price.

Sorry.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1291535173|2787689 said:
I think the question here is: what on earth were they comparing the "celebration" cut stone *to*? Perhaps a diamond with a particularly unattractive cut, to make the celebration diamond look better in comparison?

This.

If you go to a Lazare dealer or a Hearts on Fire and compare the branded cut to some deep/steep dead RB, you're going to walk out thinking you have to pay the premium for the branded cut there as well.

*Most* branded cuts are cut for maximum light return. Most non-branded diamonds (especially at Zales) are not.

I think it is GREAT that you went out and saw diamond in person. But the ultimate conclusion I get from this experience is NOT that the Celebration Diamond is the RIGHT CHOICE. But that your lady can tell the difference between a diamond cut for maximum light return and one that isn't under jewelry store lights.

So... here's what I suggest. I don't know your area but go and see some more branded cuts compared to more 'crappy' (for lack of a better term) diamonds. Go to Helzberg (they have a branded 'ideal' cut), go to Hearts on Fire, and go to a place that carries AGS 0 diamonds and compare THOSE to the crappy diamonds the jewelers will pull out to sell you on the brand diamonds. Then go back to Zales with a more educated eye and make an educated conclusion.

Is it just that she prefers diamonds with great light return-- in that case you can save money with 'generic' diamonds cut for ideal light return from a variety of vendors. Or does she prefer diamonds with great light return AND with more facets. If the later is the conclusion then I also suggest looking at the branded high facet diamonds recommended above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results