shape
carat
color
clarity

Yurman Crossover or Kirsch

JuliaKat

Rough_Rock
Hi group. I've been reading over PriceScope for about the last six months agonizing over the engagement ring decision. I have valued the comments on this forum as I've begun my own search. My lovely boyfriend has put me in charge of selecting my own ring, which is fantastic, but also a little overwhelming, because I like so many different designers and styles. I was hoping for a little input. I really like the David Yurman diamond crossover engagement ring seen here:

http://www.davidyurman.com/wedding/engagement-rings

I have seen the ring in person and I believe the pave work is beautiful. The only downside is that because of the designer name the setting is quite pricey and I cannot select my own stone. We are working with a 20K budget and with a Yurman ring, I would have to get about a 1.2 carat stone max.

I have also considered having a jewelry designer make a ring that is similar to the Yurman. Steven Kirsch appears to have a similar design on his website, and after consulting with him he would charge about 2K less than Yurman for the setting, and I would be able to select my own stone. I guess I am just nervous about having a non-Yurman version of the ring, since I will not be able to see it in person, but I am excited about the possibility of perhaps getting a 1.5 carat center stone by not going through Yurman.

My last totally different option is this Tacori Full Bloom Ring: http://www.since1910.com/tacori-552rd-full-bloom-round-diamond-halo-engagement-ring

The setting is a bit pricey, but I love the effect the "bloom" has on the center stone. I just wonder how this ring will age over time, since it seems like a less classic choice.

Any input would be great! Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gotta tell you 20k for a 1.2 carat right is NOT worth it to me. AT ALL.

You can have a very similar ring made custom. BGD could do that in a heartbeat, and I actually think they did something similar before for another customer.

I'd budget 4k for the setting and that leaves you 16k for the stone.

The tacori ring is pretty. But I would go custom with a ring similar to the Yurman.

Pretty stone at BGD as an option: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.686-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104069928005 almost 1.7.

And another: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.500-g-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104069928025

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
5364W18-11.jpg
5364W18-12.jpg

From BGD. They can add Pave to the design for you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is please get something bigger than a 1.2 with $20K. Doh, did I really say that? YES!! Good luck! Stay on PS and follow their advice, especially Gypsy's.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Steven Kirsch's work is absolutely beautiful. Search all the beautiful rings on here.

From your post it sounds like you want a very specific setting with perfect detail so I would try to work with Steven or Victor Canera if I were you.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1393999815|3627766 said:
All I can say is please get something bigger than a 1.2 with $20K. Doh, did I really say that? YES!! Good luck! Stay on PS and follow their advice, especially Gypsy's.

+1 I could not agree more.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$20K for a 1.2 ct. That is some profit margin!! :-o

Do a lot of research. :read:

chrisan

Rough_Rock
JuliaKat- I was interested in the DY crossover as well during my ring search a couple of weeks ago. There was one with the cable band- a 2C for ~34k and another with the pave band- 0.8C for ~12K. They didn't have anything with a larger center stone to show me. But I actually think it works with those size stones- 1-2 carats goes well with the feminine and delicate band, I don't think anything larger would look as pretty. I thought the prices were inflated, but they were beautiful pieces and I usually do not like rounds at all!
I'm sure the experts here on Pricescope will help you get the perfect stone and setting- listen to their advice!

photo__81_.jpg

photo__80_.jpg

JuliaKat

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the response. I guess I've just been so nervous to go forward with a different designer, because I know I love how delicate the Yurman looks. (Thanks for your photos and input about the Yurman chrisan!) It could just be the photo, but the BGD piece just looks a bit clunkier to me. I am going to continue to look into the SK option. I would really love to have a 1.5 ct. G VS2 or SI1 (as many times as I have been told that you can't tell the difference between G and H, I truly believe that I can after viewing a number of diamonds). I've spoken with a number of jewelers who have warned me about having diamonds damaged when they go all the way around the bands, but I really think it is necessary with the crossover style. Gypsy, is there a reason why you would recommend BGD over SK?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is also an Adwar version - http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/21991L/view - if you have a trusted local jeweler, they can inquire as to the shank width/thickness and if it is close to the Yurman in terms of scale, your jeweler can order it for you. If you look at the rest of the linked page, you can see there is a smooth cross-over version and two diamond-pave options as well.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
A poster, woobug, had the cable version made by, I believe wf. she also had several thin cable bands made. If you do a search there are pictures. I doubt this is what you are looking for since you have mentioned pave.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price may be lower. And the design is one that doesn't need hangforged and can be done very well with a CAD and CAST bench.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results