shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Wedding Day...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My wedding day had moments of greatness that surpassed anything I have experienced. The vows were very emotional, and the connection I felt to DH in those 10 minutes standing at the alter was amazing. I loved that my mom walked me down the aisle. It was also really special when my FIL said he thought of me as the daughter he''d never had (DH is one of 3 boys). I never had a father or siblings, and I really feel accepted and loved by my in-laws, it is really special.

But on the whole I did not enjoy the wedding day as much as I had hoped. I planned an amazing party for our guests, and they all raved about it, they still do...but I didn''t have a great time. And that was a particularly stressful time in my life and I felt a lot of anxiety about the "impending doom" of marriage...hahaha... So to be totally honest, the wedding day was a little... Meh. If I could do it over I would plan a party for ME, not 120 of my "closest friends and family"! haha We would have eloped for sure! And I would have taken the $$ we spent and just bought a nice 2ct diamond! haha

What was the best day? Without question it was the day I defended my PhD. Ironically, this was 2 weeks before our wedding! I really enjoyed the 2.5 hour grilling by a panel of experts, including my intellectual idol, and it was invigorating and really pushed my mental stamina and concentration. My mom flew out to watch the defense, and my in-laws came and my hubby and my best friends were all there. When my mentors came out after and said, "Congradulations Dr. Dreamer_Dachsie" I felt such a wonderful sense of accomplishment and felt like 11 years of higher education actually meant something. I feel so proud of getting that little piece of paper, and my family was so happy and supportive.

So, yeah, my wedding couldn''t really top that. But without question, my marriage is more rewarding on a daily basis than my career could ever be. I love my hubby now and have more fun with him now than I did one year ago, and I feel more safe and secure and loved than I ever had in my life.

DD

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
This may be terrible to say, but, our wedding served its purpose. We got married. It was memorable and fun and all of those things, but, the actual day pales in comparison to the births of our three children. Like Skippy, I wish we''d have eloped. There was plenty of drama before ours too. DH and I aren''t BIG wedding type of people. We tend to be more reserved around other people so I think we would have enjoyed the moment more if we were alone or had only a few people with us. My parents and grandparents would have been devastated if they were not included so we had a smallish wedding. It wasn''t really us, but, 13 years later the kind of wedding we had is really completely unimportant. To us it''s more about what you do every day to keep the relationship going. JMHO.

As I said earlier, the best day(s) of my life would absolutely be the births of my kids. I cannot even begin to explain the magnitude of feelings on those days and the few days after. I was filled with a complete sense of awe and wonder. I have to say that almost every day I am impressed and comtinue to be awed by these three fantastic humans. *sniffle* *sniffle* Sorry, mommy moment.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 12:05:51 AM
Author: Miranda
This may be terrible to say, but, our wedding served its purpose. We got married. It was memorable and fun and all of those things, but, the actual day pales in comparison to the births of our three children. Like Skippy, I wish we'd have eloped. There was plenty of drama before ours too. DH and I aren't BIG wedding type of people. We tend to be more reserved around other people so I think we would have enjoyed the moment more if we were alone or had only a few people with us. My parents and grandparents would have been devastated if they were not included so we had a smallish wedding. It wasn't really us, but, 13 years later the kind of wedding we had is really completely unimportant. To us it's more about what you do every day to keep the relationship going. JMHO.

As I said earlier, the best day(s) of my life would absolutely be the births of my kids. I cannot even begin to explain the magnitude of feelings on those days and the few days after. I was filled with a complete sense of awe and wonder. I have to say that almost every day I am impressed and comtinue to be awed by these three fantastic humans. *sniffle* *sniffle* Sorry, mommy moment.
Miranda, your post made me smile big
9.gif
; you sound like such a good mommy, ahhhh!! It sounds wonderful to be a mom.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I have to admit, my wedding day was one of the best days of my life. My son & daughter''s birth are right up there, but the day I got married...well...I wouldn''t have these kids without my dh soo....

And I get ya LC...but...I have to admit...the other "best day" was just a few weeks ago. My 3 y.o. son was playing trains, and totally absorbed in his own world, I was sitting on the sofa, reading, and he looks up at me and says "I love you mama" and then goes back to his trains.

That is my latest "best day"...love....from my boy...totally unsolicited.

But I rank the day I said "I do" to my husband as the best day because I had such a hard life, not a lot of healthy, stable love, and spent a lifetime hoping for someone like him to share my life with. I remember feeling like it was all a great dream I''d wake up from...so when we got married, I had the biggest...stupidest...slap-happiest grin plastered ear to ear the whole freakin'' day. I remember getting up and walking into the hotel restaurant and announcing to every one who cared (and the other 99% who didn''t) "I''m getting MARRIED today!!!!". I was 31, acting like a silly teenager. It didn''t have much to do with the wedding itself per se, but the ceremony and what it all meant. Ok...I WAS a wee bit dress obsessed...but I still cry when I watch our wedding video...and we are coming up on the 9th anniv. of when we met & we are still crazy in love. Just this weekend...making out in an elevator on the way to dinner in the city. Not bad for an old married couple with 2 kids...one of whom can''t even talk yet. LOL.

Gotta love that DH...so yeah...hands down...my wedding day. That day was the beginning of this wonderful life we have. At least that''s how I feel!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never viewed my wedding day as the best day of my life...certainly it was up there with the best, though. Some other highlights have been: the day I graduated college (first in my immediate family to obtain a 4 year degree), and I got to share that with both of my parents who came to my ceremony; the night I got engaged, the giddy excitement we both felt knowing that we really had cemented our committment to one another for the first time; the wedding day itself, although we had our share of family drama with my mother being in the ER the night before and finding out two days afterward that my dad had stage IV colorectal cancer; the day my brother was honorably discharged from the Marines due to disability (I was relieved that he wouldn''t end up dying at war after all, selfish, I know); the day my dad''s last PET scan revealed that he was finally cancer-free; the day my niece was born...

All of those days (and many others which were equally good that I''m not remembering right this minute) caused me to feel different, but equally glorious feelings. I haven''t had children yet so I can''t even begin to know what that feels like, but I''m sure it will be right up there with all of the other great days. If I called one single day out of those the "pinnacle" of all of them, I feel like I would be saying that none of those other wonderful times measured up to it, I guess.

In the end, my wedding day was really blissful. The weather turned out to be just perfect (we had an outdoor ceremony), and DH and I both looked fabulous, the food was beautiful to look at and even better tasting, and it was a really wonderful day. I don''t think either DH or I would say it was THE best day of our lives, period, though...it was a very meaningful, happy day and one we will never forget.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely finding out I was pregnant and then giving birth was, all three times, the best days.

My wedding was gorgeous and at my favorite, dream locale, but my dad was not alive to see it and there was so much family crap with my mom and my in law''s to be and even other family that is made it unpleasant. We were happy, but I think anytime so much emotion is riding on something it is tough for it to live up to the hype. We both say we wished we had eloped to Hawaii or something. But I was the first of my generation of kids in the family to marry so there was drama.

Getting my master''s degree with PsyChi honors and a 3.98 GPA when my mom poopoo''ed my desires to go to grad school and refused to pay for it even though she had promised to prior to my getting engaged...and knowing that hubby had faith in me and paid for it, was also pretty awesome. I knew during the program I would not have a career because I wanted kids and hubby works a lot, but just doing well and finishing meant a lot.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 2:42:01 AM
Author: diamondfan
Definitely finding out I was pregnant and then giving birth was, all three times, the best days.

My wedding was gorgeous and at my favorite, dream locale, but my dad was not alive to see it and there was so much family crap with my mom and my in law's to be and even other family that is made it unpleasant. We were happy, but I think anytime so much emotion is riding on something it is tough for it to live up to the hype. We both say we wished we had eloped to Hawaii or something. But I was the first of my generation of kids in the family to marry so there was drama.

Getting my master's degree with PsyChi honors and a 3.98 GPA when my mom poopoo'ed my desires to go to grad school and refused to pay for it even though she had promised to prior to my getting engaged...and knowing that hubby had faith in me and paid for it, was also pretty awesome. I knew during the program I would not have a career because I wanted kids and hubby works a lot, but just doing well and finishing meant a lot.
DF, I wished we eloped in Hawaii too! Wow, that is great about your hubby; you are a smart cookie!

I am loving reading all these, sorry for the threadjack.
12.gif
eta: Butterfly, I felt the same way as you; I felt so uncomfortable when everyone was looking at me walk down the aisle. I also didn't like sitting at the head table. I always say now, I enjoy other peoples wedding since it isn't mine. hehee

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I would say that the birth of my kids and graduating from nursing school were the best days I can remember.

I would not call my wedding day the best day of my life. I was a nervous wreck, I hate it when all the attention is on me and eveyone is looking, I feel so out of place and panicky and that''s how I felt the day I got married.

Everything was wonderful though, I guess I just don''t like to be the center of attention.
2.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Indy,
I''m not yet married but I think that there is no one best day of your life. I think there are many wonderful days and they are wonderful in different ways.
The day I graduated college with my family there supporting me.
The day I found out I passed the bar.
The day I was admitted to the bar and took the oath.
The day my son was born and I held him in my arms for the first time and all I could do was cry b/c it was so amazing and scary and wonderful and overwhelming all at once.
The day I became engaged.
The day my best friend''s daughter was born.
The day I realized I could overcome any struggle that came my way.

I''m sure that there will be many more "best" days to come and I look forward to each and every one of them.

This has been a touching thread, thanks for starting it!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a tough question, as my wedding day, although beautiful in it''s simplicity, was not the best day of my life. It was close, but there have been many days since, just sitting on the couch with my DH, that I''ve felt more calm, more at peace, and more loved than I have ever before.

If I have to pick a day recently that exemplified this, it would be the first day of our stay in Positano. Sitting on the balcony at Le Sirenuse, overlooking the amazing view, my husband reached for my hand, told me he loved me, and that this is the reason he married me - to see these awe inspiring things together, for the first time, for the rest of our lives.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn''t put the wedding day at the top. The birth of my children certainly far surpassed that. And the most surreal wonderful day of my life was the trip to China where we went to an orphanage and were given this very beautiful little baby girl who did not shed a tear...she just smiled! Still brings tears to my eyes.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 6:01:01 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
No, I wouldn''t put the wedding day at the top. The birth of my children certainly far surpassed that. And the most surreal wonderful day of my life was the trip to China where we went to an orphanage and were given this very beautiful little baby girl who did not shed a tear...she just smiled! Still brings tears to my eyes.
12.gif
Oh that brought a tear to my eye; how beautiful!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I eloped, so we had a very relaxed and quite ceremony. It wasn''t the best day of my life, but it was nice. I think if I planned a huge extravegant wedding, it have been one my lesser favorite days since I don''t cope well with stress.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results