shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Vote: Which is better?

blessedbling

Rough_Rock
I'm deciding between two lab created diamonds for an engagement ring (hopefully by tomorrow morning). While these both have the same 4 Cs, I'd appreciate advice on other aspects such as pavilion, crown angle, depth etc. I've read some tips, but could use help comparing these. I was slightly concerned when I saw some aspects fell outside the ideal. Here are the IGS reports:

https://www.igi.org/API-IGI/viewpdf.php?r=LG510177479

https://www.igi.org/API-IGI/viewpdf.php?r=LG512214366

From a more experienced viewpoint, which is higher quality? Which would look more brilliant?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can do better than either of these diamonds. I've found a good alternative for you if you're interested.

blessedbling

Rough_Rock
Hello @blessedbling, is there a reason you have to have a decision by tomorrow morning? Both of those stones have a really steep crown angle over 35°. We usually like to see crown angles 34-35.

Oh ok, thanks! I have put one of the diamonds on reserve. How will it affect the look of it with the steep crown?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely check out @Kim N's pick. She's a Diamond Magician!

I don't know exactly what a steep crown does, but you don't want suboptimal light return. The whole point of a diamond is its ability to refract light and sparkle. No need to buy a dull diamond in this day and age.

I found both of your stones' videos (but don't know how to post them here). Thing is, to my eye they both have a bit of pavilion twist. @Kim N has likely seen the videos, too, by now and would be able to comment more.

blessedbling

Rough_Rock
Here are your diamonds' videos. Like 0515vision said, they both have a bit of an unevenly cut pavilion, which can result in leakage under the table. We usually recommend a crown angle of 34-35 and pavilion angle of 40.6-40.9.

Very useful info, thanks! Is this going to be observable to naked eye? When I wear it?

blessedbling

Rough_Rock
It may be noticeable to the naked eye. There are so many stones out there, why settle?

What are the prices of the two stones?

They are each $1575 on one site, and $1325 on another

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, blessedbling!
Agree with the others: you have a good budget for a better cut and proportioned diamond.
For under $1500, you're in 1.7-1.9 carat D VS1+ realm.
Example: this one is just under $1550

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

blessedbling

Rough_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks for this great tip! I'm going to talk with the jeweler today hopefully.
Do you think a 1.79 diamond will look really large on size 3.75/4 finger?

Here's a decent picture showing how it'll look on that ring size.

Screenshot_20240104-171434-287.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Big but stunning! I bet I could get used to that. Thanks for your help!

You're very welcome!

Here's the link to the diamond...that's the lowest price that I could find amongst the online sellers.

blessedbling

Rough_Rock
You're very welcome!

Here's the link to the diamond...that's the lowest price that I could find amongst the online sellers.

I found it on Dreamstone for a comparable price and ordered it, Yay!! This is the setting I chose:

Very excited for it...hope it ends up looking good on my little finger.
Many thanks again...:kiss2:You are a rock star and my diamond hero, DejaWiz!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I found it on Dreamstone for a comparable price and ordered it, Yay!! This is the setting I chose:

Very excited for it...hope it ends up looking good on my little finger.
Many thanks again...:kiss2:You are a rock star and my diamond hero, DejaWiz!

You're very welcome - congratulations for your new diamond and great looking setting!

blessedbling

Rough_Rock
You're very welcome - congratulations for your new diamond and great looking setting!
Oooh, unfortunately the seller said the first diamond has a long delay due to shipping from India and slower processing times. He's offering another Hearts and Arrows one as alternative that he can get now. It's smaller 1.65 and color grade down, which I don't mind because smaller is better than bigger for my finger. But is this about as good? Is it worth it? Or should I ask for something of better value?

would love your advice, thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, unfortunately the seller said the first diamond has a long delay due to shipping from India and slower processing times. He's offering another Hearts and Arrows one as alternative that he can get now. It's smaller 1.65 and color grade down, which I don't mind because smaller is better than bigger for my finger. But is this about as good? Is it worth it? Or should I ask for something of better value?

would love your advice, thanks!

Looks fine. I, personally, don't much care for a table bigger than 56% and crown height under 15%, but that's in my own head. Should be a decent pick!
All VS1, most VS2, and even many SI1 will be just as clean to the eyes as any VVS or FL/IF. VS1-VS2 would potentially save you a heap of money.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
GIA graded, nice tall 15.5% crown height, great cut precision, clean HPHT material, and you can price match to LooseGrownDiamond at $1312

Can I ask you where I would find that handy site to see diamond size versus finger size? I think that would help me try and dial in a size range for my upcoming project =)2

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Can I ask you where I would find that handy site to see diamond size versus finger size? I think that would help me try and dial in a size range for my upcoming project =)2

Sure thing!
www.diamdb.com

That merely gives a rough draft view on a single finger...I also recommend sites like MySparkly where you can filter by carat, shape, setting style, and ring size to hopefully find some good pictures of how a particular carat weight/diameter will look in proportion to the whole hand.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Sure thing!
www.diamdb.com

That merely gives a rough draft view in a single finger...I also recommend sites like MySparkly where you can filter by carat, shape, setting style, and ring size to hopefully find some good pictures of how a particular carat weight/diameter will look in proportion to the whole hand.

Thank you so much!!!! I am looking forward to the day when I finally know what direction I am going in and I can ask you and Kim and all the other wonderful experts here to help me find a diamond!

blessedbling

Rough_Rock
GIA graded, nice tall 15.5% crown height, great cut precision, clean HPHT material, and you can price match to LooseGrownDiamond at $1312

Thanks for the suggestion! I have to purchase one of Dream Stone's diamonds as they already have my setting.
Is there a way I could direct message you with a few options that I found that seem like a good buy (they're around 1k) ? I don't see a DM feature here. =)2

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion! I have to purchase one of Dream Stone's diamonds as they already have my setting.
Is there a way I could direct message you with a few options that I found that seem like a good buy (they're around 1k) ? I don't see a DM feature here. =)2

Contact DreamStone and ask if they have access to that one.
No DM function here at PS, but I'm easy to find at Reddit, so you can start a chat with me there (not a DM...that function there is buggy as heck).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results