Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Other I will detail below

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let me see the results

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I won a lovely $500 gift certificate to GOG at the PS GTG in Vegas. And Andrey has gifted me (and many others) with $100 10K gift.

So that means I have $600 burning a hole in my pocket.

I've got two options.

1. Buy a .5 carat pear from GOG. Remove the large OEC from my Odds and Ends necklace and have BGD bezel and millgrain the pear, and put that in the place of the OEC at the dangle. Then ask Brian to source another OEC for me (and to recut it so it gets the same light performance my current one does, which is ideal cause Brian recut that one too). And make earrings out of the OECs. This gets me a pear drop at the end of my Odds and Ends necklace. And since it is a sentimental piece I love the idea that the money from the these two PS gifts would go toward the diamond. And I also get the OEC earrings I've been jonsing for... but at a price I can afford (one stone versus two).
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-odds-and-ends-necklace-by-bgd.158058/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-odds-and-ends-necklace-by-bgd.158058/[/URL] My odds and ends necklace for reference. The large OEC is 5mm, perfect for studs.

2. Buy side stones from GOG. I do eventually want a three stone ring with a sapphire center. And I don't think it's something I can do all at once. SO... I can get the sides NOW, and then get the center, and then later on get it set. I'm sure GOG can source some pretty lovely side stones for 600 bucks. Whether I do this now or later, it's going to be a piece by piece project. And with the prices of diamonds, I'm afraid that if I want any longer any side stones I get are gonna be tiny.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i voted #2. reason: you've got a specific project in mind and are already concerned about being able to afford in the future the size of side stones you will want. you have a necklace that you appear to be happy with and/or can live with. therefore, #2 is to me the logical option. if you have the side stones, you will be able to narrow your sapphire search down to those that will fit well with the side stones.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Which do you want more: earrings or a three stone ring? Perhaps choose based on which is a higher priority project for you?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I voted #1 because you sound more excited about it. I think your necklace will look awesome with a pear, but even more than that, you will get two projects out of it in a fairly short time (updated necklace and earrings). With #2, you don't have any "payoff" for possibly a long time. On the other hand, if you got the sidestones and did something with them temporarily, such as putting them into inexpensive earring settings until you're ready to do the ring, I might change my mind...I just think you sound like you'll be happier with option 1 as things stand now.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I think you win either way.. But I voted for #2. Your necklace is beautiful as-is. I think it's time to start towards the ring you want!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
probably can't go wrong with either option........and good points have been made re #1.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I voted #1 because I'm a sucker for a sentimental piece. And you would only have to wait for one other stone to pair for earrings. It's a 2fer!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for option #2 because your necklace is perfection as it is, and a 3-stone ring with a sapphire would be something for you to enjoy as an on-going project with a huge and beautiful pay-off when you find the right sapphire. I'm also always nervous about recuts such as the one in option #1 because you just never know what's going to happen in a recut.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I voted #2 because your necklace is beautiful as it is and I think getting sides right now, before prices go up more, is a good idea and it sets you up to start looking for a great sapphire for your ring project :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Food for thought...

I want the earrings the most. I *only* (I know, I know... most people don't even have one pair) have one pair of diamond earrings and they aren't studs. And I want OEC studs badly.

If I never get the sapphire ring... it's okay. I have two rings I adore and I only wear rings on two fingers at a time. I'm good there. I'd LOVE a sapphire ring, but... I'd get more wear out of the earrings. But the ring was percolating because I can look at it while I wear it. Which... with the OEC earrings, I wouldn't be able to do.

But the earrings are what I've been jonsing for-- thank you for asking that question central! And if I were to be honest, I've been dying for a pear as well. And as Uppy pointed out, I only have to wait for one stone." AND as Octavia said, it would be TWO projects, not one.

All excellent points.

You guys are super stars... you really helped me clarify my thoughts with you stellar questions! Looks like I've got to call GOG about a pear!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1311141067|2972769 said:
Looks like I've got to call GOG about a pear!

Keep us posted! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, the only thing I will add is that OEC's do not have the same impact on the ears as does a regular ideal cut stone. I think the small tables and steep crown are not as good for light performance for earrings. I know they have always said here that a more shallow crown angle is better for earrings than steep, and I know smaller tables make a stone appear less bright. I could tell a lot of difference when I tried AVOEC's for studs compared with regular H&A stones. I adore OEC's and would still love to have one (or some!). But I would have them set in rings and not in earrings. Just keep that in mind if you intend for this to be your only pair of studs.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1311169936|2972907 said:
Gypsy, the only thing I will add is that OEC's do not have the same impact on the ears as does a regular ideal cut stone. I think the small tables and steep crown are not as good for light performance for earrings. I know they have always said here that a more shallow crown angle is better for earrings than steep, and I know smaller tables make a stone appear less bright. I could tell a lot of difference when I tried AVOEC's for studs compared with regular H&A stones. I adore OEC's and would still love to have one (or some!). But I would have them set in rings and not in earrings. Just keep that in mind if you intend for this to be your only pair of studs.

I would typically agree with this, but having seen both the recut stone in Gypsy's necklace in person AND a stunning pair of OEC studs in Neatfreak's ears I think that it is possible to have a dazzling set of OECs if you choose your stones correctly.

I haven't officially voted up top, but I think the studs and addition to the necklace are a great idea. I know you've liked pears for a long time and this is a way to get a nice one and wear it soon without having it sit around for a project. While I love the earrings you wear often from Pearlman's I think that a nice set of studs would still be used often. Can't wait to see how it all comes together!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I voted #1. I think the pear idea is super cool and I love the idea of the earrings. Plus you get double the jewelry to wear. :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results