shape
carat
color
clarity

Your vote please.

Which would you pick for a peridot?

• Etsy 18K bezel and silver split shank ring.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Argh. I'm confusing myself.

My mother's birthstone is a peridot. But she says she doesn't care for them. BUT she also hasn't seen nice ones. So I bought one this weekend. It's an 8 x 10 concave cut. It's not top color... it has a little brown in it when viewed in direct sunlight but it glows in indirect light and it's quite pretty. And I think that set right it would look lovely.

Recently she's been into David Yurman jewelry and silver and gold combined pieces. SO when I saw this pic, I thought it would be perfect. This exact ring but with the oval set east west in the center. The bezel would be fully enclosed 18K yellow gold (to enhance the stones color) and the shanks would be matte silver.

jkayt%20satin.jpg

The alternative is this setting by Lan.bo4: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280354280939 in white gold (which I am concerned would bring out the brown in the stone).

Which would you pick?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
since i''m such a bezel nut... I like both Bezel pendant and bezel ring, I can''t really choose. what does your mom wear more frequently? rings or pendants? I love concave faceting, so for me, I''d want to stare into the gem and get all mesmerized, I guess I''d have to say the ring then for me, if it was just any other cut, nothing fancy, then I''d say the pendant. but having such a neat cut, I''d really want to stare at it, sorry I''m making this longer than it needs to be
23.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
She just bought herself a lovely pendant. And she has a pearl one she wears as well. She doesn''t wear RHR''s. So I thought it might be a nice change for her. But then, I don''t know... I''m kinda thinking the pendant is safer bet. But the ring is much more unqiue. Plus it would be handmade for her.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
In terms of the stone having a unique cut, I''d say go for the ring as it doesen''t contain any "distractions" (diamonds). In terms of the stone''s durability/wearability I''d say go for the pendant as peridots are not very hard and also can cleave upon impact more easily than some other stones. I guess I''m not of much help here
2.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 12:52:36 AM
Author: Gypsy
She just bought herself a lovely pendant. And she has a pearl one she wears as well. She doesn''t wear RHR''s. So I thought it might be a nice change for her. But then, I don''t know... I''m kinda thinking the pendant is safer bet. But the ring is much more unqiue. Plus it would be handmade for her.
Is this for a special occasion?? I''m really not a big fan of peridots either, but would love that mabe ring! Having said that, if she''s not into RHR, does she wear anything really special on her left ring finger? Okay, I''m blathering here because I feel as if I''ve missed a crucial part of this puzzle. Sorry...
8.gif

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
She gave you life, get her both! LOL j/k It''s definitely a tough choice but I picked the pendant, it could become her ''signature necklace''.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Wake up, Isabel!!! There''s not a mabe in sight! Those pieces are silver and gold by David Yurman... I think. Now that my foot is lodged so securely in my mouth, I''ll have to leave until the two wits that remain, surface again.
20.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m voting for the Etsy ring because it''s quite a unique piece. Plus, I love bezeled stones.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted Etsy too!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Gyps, go with the Julia piece for shizl mate - it''s going to be made especially for mum, all hand done - and plus julia is such a sweety to work with - not sure if we can say the same things about Lan bo, lol.
Not to mention, the JKT piece I bet will be a better price - no brainer imho
5.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going with Etsy.

Isabel, it is for her birthday. And normally I'd do diamonds with the peridot but her few recent purchases have been of pieces that combine silver and gold. So I wanted to keep with that since that's what she seems to prefer. And the pieces pictured are by the etsy dealer.

As for ring versus pendant. I don't think she'd wear it too often either way. Just when it matches hre outfit. And she's not at all hard on her hands. So I think the ring should be okay in a fully enclosed bezel.

I'm excited. This is going to be a lovely and fun project. Julia will send me some sketches soon so I'll post them when I have them!

I am thinking about matching earrings for Christmas, if she likes the ring. And maybe a pendant too next mother's day. If I find some more peridots that I like. The dealer I bought this one from only had the one. But there are more gem shows coming up! So we'll see!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
il_430xN_74671401.jpg

Julia is SUPER quick! Wowee!

I decided to do North South for the Stone. And I'm so excited I tihnk I may want a matching one for myself. LOL. JULIAKAYTAYLOR is her seller name on Etsy!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, thats gonna be gorgeous Gypsy!
Geez, I wouldn''t be able to hand that over, lol - you are a sweet daughter.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
wow... I love the sketches Julia did. She is talented!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the majority - I think the bezel is a much prettier and more "fun" choice
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you like the gold balls on either side of the bezel? Or should I do two 3-5 point diamonds there, bezeled instead? I could buy a couple melee for the ring.

What do you think? I'm kinda liking the gold balls honestly. But I do wonder if the diamonds would make it seem you know... nicer for a present. The other thing is that the peridot is concave cut, so I don't know if the diamonds would compete with it.

Opinions?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t fracking decide on E/W or N/S. They are both gorgeous. Do you have pics of the stone anywhere?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going N/S east west is staring at me like an eye. LOL. What do you think about the gold balls versus diamonds issue for the accents on the side of the bezel?

As for the stone. Nope. 8x10 concave oval peridot. Slightly olive in tone. But really rich and lime green indoors.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol at the eye thing. Ok. N/S it is!

I think diamonds. I think it dresses up the setting just enough so that she could wear it with casual outfits or with fancier getups. I think it''s just fine with just the gold balls, but a couple of diamonds would totally jazz it up a bit.

Am I making any sense tonight?!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi again Gypsy,
I''m glad you decided to go N/S - I was going to suggest it after I saw this photo -
and I personally like the gold balls as is.
I''m not sure how well that brilliant diamonds would go with a concave stone..perhaps too busy?

jkt cab ring.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 2:05:43 AM
Author: Gypsy
Do you like the gold balls on either side of the bezel? Or should I do two 3-5 point diamonds there, bezeled instead? I could buy a couple melee for the ring.

What do you think? I''m kinda liking the gold balls honestly. But I do wonder if the diamonds would make it seem you know... nicer for a present. The other thing is that the peridot is concave cut, so I don''t know if the diamonds would compete with it.

Opinions?
They would. But you can try setting them at an angle to the sides (towards the shank), so that their brillinace is not as obvious when the piece is viewed from above. Or even have them set vertically, in the walls of a bezel, so that they''re only seen straight from the sides. There are many things that can be done, but the ring would be nice even without diamonds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date:
6/10/2009 8:30:51 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hi again Gypsy,
I''m glad you decided to go N/S - I was going to suggest it after I saw this photo -
and I personally like the gold balls as is.
I''m not sure how well that brilliant diamonds would go with a concave stone..perhaps too busy?
jkt%20cab%20ring.jpg
Um. Okay. SWOON. I MUST HAVE THAT RING WITH A CAB.

You are right. No diamonds. God. that is stunning. I love it. AJ you have IMPECCIBLE taste.

Ma Rae, I was considering the setting them at an angle issue too! Good idea. I think AJ''s decided me though. That is so lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results