carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts

Which would you go with?

• Votes: 1 100.0%
  • .98 H VVS2 $5292.00

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • .99 E SI2 $5011.00 (eye clean, does have one crystal but it is "colorless")

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not watch the video before so I just did now.

No doubt the .98 is much larger than the .74. I can also detect the warmth of the H color compared to the E, but not compared to the F, so *shrug*, diamond color is a funny nuanced thing I have noticed. still, the H looked perfectly white. Does the tone of the H appeal to your eye? That is important. It appeals to me, but it is not my diamond.
5.gif

The H does look ever so slightly not square, but I would not go so far as to call it rectangular
3.gif
. I really don''t think it will be noticable in person once set unless you like to really eyeball your ring or have a thing about perfect squareness. Everyone has their own bugaboos about diamonds. Wait, scratch that, people who are obsessed with diamonds have bugaboos about diamonds, most people do not even notice these things -- color, clarity, off-square
4.gif
Still, the shape would not bother me personally. I would probably set it North South -- so longer end in the NS directions, because I think it makes the off-square less noticable. But remember, even though you can see it in the video, that is magnified like 30x. IRL the diamond is unfortunately not quite that big
2.gif
All these subtle little things are harder to see.

I also want to say once more how amazing those solasfera princess cuts are
30.gif
The blow all other princess cuts out of the water. THAT is what your gf and other people will notice, not inclusions or color or even squareness. Remember that as you make up your mind.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the way, Justin, please tell me the "93" in your name is not your birth year
4.gif

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I watched the video again and the not quite perfect square did stand out to me. I am color sensitive and I do not like H''s. I do not find them colorless at all. But on the flip side, I absolutely hate boogers in the middle of my stones. So I would really not want either for ME personally.

However with the H, if it were a solitaire, I would ask them to set the stone so that the shorter side is top to bottom and the longer is east to west. I find that really helps to mask any differences when you are looking for more square.

Unless you or the intended is very color sensitive the H is probably safe to get.

You have to realize many of us are sensitive to one thing or another. In my case I just have too sharp of eyes to really like either. I know you wouldn''t want to hear it, but if it were me, I''d find the extra $550 and get the .98 F VS2.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
after watching the video, the one on the right - the e si2 - dazzled me the most.

if you''re into that one, of course, ensure that it''s eye-clean. the e si2 seemed to have the largest, brightest flashes of light, however, if it''s obviously included then... maybe not so good.

either way, those choices are seriously breathtaking.

your girl will have a HUGE smile on her face when she sees her surprise!
3.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 2:26:44 AM
Author: dreamer_d
I did not watch the video before so I just did now.

No doubt the .98 is much larger than the .74. I can also detect the warmth of the H color compared to the E, but not compared to the F, so *shrug*, diamond color is a funny nuanced thing I have noticed. still, the H looked perfectly white. Does the tone of the H appeal to your eye? That is important. It appeals to me, but it is not my diamond.
5.gif

The H does look ever so slightly not square, but I would not go so far as to call it rectangular
3.gif
. I really don''t think it will be noticable in person once set unless you like to really eyeball your ring or have a thing about perfect squareness. Everyone has their own bugaboos about diamonds. Wait, scratch that, people who are obsessed with diamonds have bugaboos about diamonds, most people do not even notice these things -- color, clarity, off-square
4.gif
Still, the shape would not bother me personally. I would probably set it North South -- so longer end in the NS directions, because I think it makes the off-square less noticable. But remember, even though you can see it in the video, that is magnified like 30x. IRL the diamond is unfortunately not quite that big
2.gif
All these subtle little things are harder to see.

I also want to say once more how amazing those solasfera princess cuts are
30.gif
The blow all other princess cuts out of the water. THAT is what your gf and other people will notice, not inclusions or color or even squareness. Remember that as you make up your mind.

Dreamer, doesn''t the extremely thick girdle on the H concern you in terms of diamond performance or does that not apply to princess cut stones? Thanks for your insight.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 12:05:56 PM
Author: Isabelle

Dreamer, doesn''t the extremely thick girdle on the H concern you in terms of diamond performance or does that not apply to princess cut stones? Thanks for your insight.
Optics are determined by the angles of the pavilion and crown and other nuances, but to my knowledge the girdle does not really matter much for optics -- the only real reason the steer away from a Ex thick would be extra weight being carried and losing face up size. Is that an issue here? I don''t know. I think the images and video show that optical performance in this case is great. And it is a branded cut which also means it has to meet certain criteria. With fancies though I would tend to trust my vendor if it is someone reputable like Jon, and my eyes in the video. So girdles don''t typically enter my deliberation unless we are talking Ex thin which can be hazardous to the longevity of the diamond.

Maybe others have different opinions of girdles...

Justin93

Rough_Rock
Do would everyone say the .98 f vs2 would be better for just 500 dollars more?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
get some of the experts to weigh in, but to me (not expert) it looks like the F VS2 has more blue in the ASET? or call Jon and see what he says?

anyway, at some point you have to just set a budget. H is plenty white for most people, unless you or your gf are super color sensitive, it will look white! (it looked white to me in the video!)

Justin93

Rough_Rock
Just purchased the H VVS2! Thanks for all the help everyone, Dreamer, Stone Cold, and anyone else that pitched it!
36.gif

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the purchase! Please post pics when you get it!

I know you purchased but to answer about the F VS2. I am very color sensitive and very picky about inclusions. I'm a nightmare when it comes to coloreless stones. I just thought it was the best of both worlds, even if it was not quite so square as the E is.

Honestly these are all lovely stones and I think you found a great one.

Good luck to you as well!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Justin!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I am so happy for you! I am sure it is going to be absolutely gorgeous! I can''t wait to see pictures of it!! those solasferas are so amazing in the video, I am so glad you got one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results