shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure there are many people on here that are far more knowledgeable than me. I''m looking for a great diamond between between 1.00 and 1.20, great everything. Doesn''t have to be specifically a hearts and arrows but I do want a great cut with no horrible inclusions and maximum brilliance and fire... around $6000. I don''t ask for much, do I? This got an E E E V on the Holloway cut advisor.

This is a G SI1:
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round
. Carat: 1.05
. Depth %: 61.4
. Table %: 57
. Crown Angle: 34.5
. Crown %: 15
. Star : 50
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 75
. Girdle: Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.55-6.52X4.01
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None

It looks like I attached a file. What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks so much!
Treefrog

treefrogrock01.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2009 12:24:54 PM
Author:treefrog
I'm sure there are many people on here that are far more knowledgeable than me. I'm looking for a great diamond between between 1.00 and 1.20, great everything. Doesn't have to be specifically a hearts and arrows but I do want a great cut with no horrible inclusions and maximum brilliance and fire... around $6000. I don't ask for much, do I? This got an E E E V on the Holloway cut advisor.

This is a G SI1:
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round
. Carat: 1.05
. Depth %: 61.4
. Table %: 57
. Crown Angle: 34.5
. Crown %: 15
. Star : 50
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 75
. Girdle: Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.55-6.52X4.01
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None

It looks like I attached a file. What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks so much!
Treefrog
It looks great treefrog - love your username BTW! I know who the seller is and they have an excellent rep, check with them that it is eyeclean to your standards and you should be set.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei! I''m trying to be discreet/sneaky. I''m going for surprise and I''m looking for a diamond (within my budget)that just screams "Wow - somebody must really love her!"

Diamonds seem to move really quickly so I need to be quick yet thorough here.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
"I know who the seller is and they have an excellent rep, check with them that it is eyeclean to your standards and you should be set."

Oh you''re good. I tried not to give too much away! It''s probably rather obvious anyway though.

Treefrog

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2009 12:48:12 PM
Author: treefrog
''I know who the seller is and they have an excellent rep, check with them that it is eyeclean to your standards and you should be set.''

Oh you''re good. I tried not to give too much away! It''s probably rather obvious anyway though.

Treefrog
Hehe! Well to new lurkers who might be having thoughts of diamond poaching, it might not be obvious!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Ok... it is reserved and they just confirmed by e-mail that it is "completely eyeclean from 3-5 and 8-10 inches from the top and side view with 20/20 vision." I see 2 fairly small clouds and a pinpoint so I''m slightly afraid of why it''s really a SI1. Ideal Scope looks good to me. Should it be more red? I see one extra spot of light leakage on the ASET image near the bottom right. Decision time...
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2106429.htm#

I have looked at "H&A" diamonds and although they may be cut exceptionally well, I ruled out most within my budget due to nasty inclusions that even my untrained eye find disturbing. There''s an AGS 1.117 H SI1 H&A that I almost like. It''s also an E E E V on the HCA. Down from a G to an H, not that most would notice.
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982316.htm

So... any final thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Treefrog

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have one of the gemologists there discuss the spot and the clouds while they are looking at the stone.
The spot isn''t on the aset so it is likely glare but discuss the clouds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2009 4:57:55 PM
Author: strmrdr
Have one of the gemologists there discuss the spot and the clouds while they are looking at the stone.
The spot isn''t on the aset so it is likely glare but discuss the clouds.
Ditto

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Karl and Lorelei! I spoke with Whiteflash this morning. Incredible people to work with. They weren't even open yet but somebody called me back within minutes. I told them my concern and she said it was absolutely eyeclean. She did point out the 1.05 had a small needle near the girdle (or did she say feather... I think she said needle). That's something I didn't see in the GIA report. She said it looks great, the cut is great (we knew that), and the numbers from the SARIN report would put it an AGS 0.

I tole her I was pondering the 1.117 as well. She said that is also eye clean from the top and sides although a cloud right in the middle of the table concerns me a little. I think I can see it on their 40x picture but the ASET and Ideal Scope images look about the same between the two. The question is - is the 1.117 H&A that is an H, as opposed to the 1.05's G, my better option? They are both E E E V's on the HCA so performance should be similar between the two.

She said she is going to have their gemologist look at both. She also offered to take both diamonds to some of her co-workers and get a first-impression from each of them.

Whiteflash absolutely gets my vote on customer service. Wonderful, wonderful people. (and so are Pricescopers so thank you all so much for your dedication!)

Treefrog

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
The Whiteflash gemologist said the 1.05 could have been considered a VS2. It is a very small needle and it is depicted on the GIA report. He said both look great, and are absolutely eye clean. The Whiteflash office co-workers saw both, unaided by any information, and were split 3 votes for the 1.05 and 3 for the 1.117.

Lorelei, are you ok with the numbers on the AGS 1.117 H SI1? I am so torn!

Thanks,
Treefrog

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also conflicted... :razz: seems like both perform equally well in a blind test.

Depends on your personal taste and budget now I guess. :) Good luck in which ever you choose.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2009 12:58:40 PM
The Whiteflash gemologist said the 1.05 could have been considered a VS2. It is a very small needle and it is depicted on the GIA report. He said both look great, and are absolutely eye clean. The Whiteflash office co-workers saw both, unaided by any information, and were split 3 votes for the 1.05 and 3 for the 1.117.

Lorelei, are you ok with the numbers on the AGS 1.117 H SI1? I am so torn!

Thanks,
Treefrog
Yes I am fine with them Tree, I would see what WF advise, they should be able to tell you which stone has the most flair and help you decide. I know its hard at this stage but it will become clear!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much for your help. This process is so subjective on so many levels. I had my specific criteria and was fortunate to find two stones that both appeared to be solid performers. I don''t think I could have made a bad choice. Pricescope and the people on this forum were invaluable to me and the Pricescope discount was like the icing on the cake.

I''m sure the other PS vendors are great but Whiteflash, particularly Sheerah, has been absolutely wonderful to work with. Patient and helpful, she really went the extra mile for me.

Hopefully, the actual diamond will be as I expected. I have little doubt. If not, Whiteflash has a great return policy and I can start all over again!
6.gif
I''ll let you know what I think of the diamond in a few days. I chose the AGS 1.117 H SI1 ACA Hearts and Arrows.

Frog

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2009 4:43:44 PM
Thank you all so much for your help. This process is so subjective on so many levels. I had my specific criteria and was fortunate to find two stones that both appeared to be solid performers. I don''t think I could have made a bad choice. Pricescope and the people on this forum were invaluable to me and the Pricescope discount was like the icing on the cake.

I''m sure the other PS vendors are great but Whiteflash, particularly Sheerah, has been absolutely wonderful to work with. Patient and helpful, she really went the extra mile for me.

Hopefully, the actual diamond will be as I expected. I have little doubt. If not, Whiteflash has a great return policy and I can start all over again!
6.gif
I''ll let you know what I think of the diamond in a few days. I chose the AGS 1.117 H SI1 ACA Hearts and Arrows.

Frog
Congrats Froggie - let us know how you like it!
35.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2009 5:53:49 AM
Author: Lorelei
Congrats Froggie - let us know how you like it!
35.gif
Ok... I'm a little slow in sending an update but better late than never! Whiteflash had the 1.117 to the local FedEx hub the next morning. To say it was well packaged would be an understatement. The diamond looked great and I had fun playing with the H&A viewer. It was absolutely eye-clean just as they said. Actually, it was clean with the viewer also and even with the viewer turned upside down and used as a ~10x magnifier. I took the diamond with me to work the next day to look at under better lighting. It looked great... until I dropped it and it rolled under my desk. I poked my head under my desk, thinking it was going to be like looking for a contact lens but I think the North star was under my desk. Even under minimal light, that thing was shining brilliantly. I had an appraiser look at it and she said it was as described on the cert and agreed it was a nice diamond. She found some colorless graining that wasn't mentioned on the cert but other than that, found no surprises. Until people start walking around with 10x vision, I'm not worried about some colorless grain. The size of it was very respectable to me, the brilliance was spectacular, the H color was just fine with too. It's definitely "A cut above".

For the proposal story, get comfortable and head over here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-recent-proposal.117517/

wfjsprop0001_1.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
One more...

proposal10001.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
One more...

wfjsprop0002.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Last one... for now.

wfjsprop0007.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Froggie,

Thanks for the update, that is one gorgeous diamond - many congrats to you!!!!!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results