shape
carat
color
clarity

your thoughts please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

greyfox101

Rough_Rock
Purchased a diamond from diamond.com listed as a very good cut but the GIA report I received with the diamond
shows it as a fair cut. All other specs were accurate. I paid 6000. Thanks!

1.49 carat
round brilliant
color F
clairty SI1
polish very good
symmetry good

table 63%
crown angle 30.5
pavilion angle 40.2
extremely thick(faceted)
total depth 59.6%

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2007 5:46:02 AM
Author:greyfox101
Purchased a diamond from diamond.com listed as a very good cut but the GIA report I received with the diamond
shows it as a fair cut. All other specs were accurate. I paid 6000. Thanks!

1.49 carat
round brilliant
color F
clairty SI1
polish very good
symmetry good

table 63%
crown angle 30.5
pavilion angle 40.2
extremely thick(faceted)
total depth 59.6%

Welcome!

The Holloway Cut Advisor can't calculate the proportions of this diamond it seems. If you could post the diameter measurements of this diamond that would help, but I would suspect it is facing up small for its weight. Unless you love it, I would consider returning it personally, but the price you paid seems extremely cheap for that size diamond with a GIA report, possibly due to the cut quality. What are your thoughts on this rock looking at it in person? On paper it doesn't have a good cut and it is very likely it won't have a great performance, but it is up to your own eyes whether this is the right diamond.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Great price, however I'm glad diamond.com have a return-period. Otherwise it would be hard to tell you that it's pretty bad.

Even if size is your priority, may I suggest dropping the color down to an 'I' and seeing what size your money can buy. The one above will look small for its weight anyway.

greyfox101

Rough_Rock
thanks guys. Dimensions 7.2-7.34 x 4.33. I''m not sure if diamond.com rates cuts different than GIA or if it was improperly entered into there site but my receipt clearly shows cut very good and you cant even select fair when choosing diamonds on there site.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have nothing against diamond.com since I bought my diamond there, but I can tell you there''s no way you can buy a well cut 1.5 carat round for $6000. I did a search on diamond.com, and the only ones I searched for were ideal cuts, and the cheapest 1.5 carat I found was $8700, and it was an I, SI1. So, if you want a well cut diamond, you will have to raise your budget or go lower in carat weight.

greyfox101

Rough_Rock
Yea I suppose thats why I picked this one out of the list as it appeared a great price for what was listed. Will have to ask for more details in the future I suppose... Diamond.com has been great with customer service so far and with the return policy it wont be a problem.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 9:22:48 AM
Author: greyfox101
thanks guys. Dimensions 7.2-7.34 x 4.33. I''m not sure if diamond.com rates cuts different than GIA or if it was improperly entered into there site but my receipt clearly shows cut very good and you cant even select fair when choosing diamonds on there site.

Many vendors do have their own rules for grading.

I can assure you those proportions definitely get a GIA ''fair'' though.

greyfox101

Rough_Rock
Is this a fair response?

"
As for the diamond cut grade difference, this is an issue that does come-up from time to time. Our diamond cut grade rating system, is based on that used by GIA for over 70 years, i.e. the combination of Table Percentage and Total Depth Percentage. In January of 2006, GIA introduced a new "cut grade" system for Round Brilliant diamnds, that introduced a new grouping of measurements, which lead to a new system of grading diamonds. We continue to use the original system because the vast majority of diamonds on today''s maket have been graded on the old system. "

"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results