shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts please on 1.14-Carat Color I Clarity SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinfnyc

Rough_Rock
I recently received this diamond and would like your thoughts:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00884945&filter_id=1
Carat weight: 1.14
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 61.2%
Table %: 56%
Crown: 34.3 angle (15.1%)
Pavilion: 40.9 angle (43.1%)

The stone looks very good as far as I my layman eyes can tell. However, I looked at it in very bright sunlight and it appeared pretty blue. Is this normal or bad? The certs that came with the diamond says the florescence is "Negligible".

Also, anything else I should watch out for or be aware of?

THANKS SO MUCH for your help.

kevinfnyc

Rough_Rock
One more thing: the Blue Nile appraisal that came with the ring was $4000 more (60% more) than what I paid for the ring. Does this count for anything?

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
Nice stone. As long as its eye clean, you have nothing to worry about.

For the appraisal, it's rather worthless. If you want to see whether you got what you paid for, you need an independant appraisal. Also, for most insurance claims you need the diamond set before you can get an appraisal to submit.

kevinfnyc

Rough_Rock
This might be a stupid question, but what's the best way to tell if the diamond is eye-clean?

reena

Ideal_Rock
look at it.
2.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/7/2004 4:35:56 PM kevinfnyc wrote:

This might be a stupid question, but what's the best way to tell if the diamond is eye-clean?----------------

There are no stupid questions! That's a good question! I'm no expert, by ANY means... but here's my 2 cents...

My understanding is that "eye-clean" is just that... the stone looks clean to YOUR eye. From the top, without magnification, from a normal viewing distance, you don't see (notice) any inclusions. "Eye-clean" can vary from person-to-person, too... it can be somewhat subjective, and it can depend on your eyesight
2.gif
!!!! But in general, it should please YOU when YOU look at it.

Perhaps the experts here will chime in with more info.

Lynn
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
just teasing ya, kev.

my (also non-expert) understanding is very similar to lynn's. i THINK, as lynn suggested, they generally say that the stone is "eyeclean" if a normal person looking at it for a normal amount of time from a normal distance (as opposed you to putting your eyeball 1mm away from it and staring at it for 20 minutes knowing exactly where the flaws are) would not see any inclusions.
1.gif

kevinfnyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies about a diamond being "eye clean". I'd also appreciate your expert opinions about the diamond I described above!

reena

Ideal_Rock
i'll let the RB experts chime in on that one.
1.gif
don't know a thing about 'em.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a nice stone to me! It might look blue in sunlight because it's reflecting the blue of the sky. My non-fluorescent e-ring stone often looks really blue because of that.

If you want to be positive about your purchase, I'd say invest $25 in an IdealScope to check it's not leaking light somewhere. But trust you eyes too!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
HI Kev,
Eye clean is exactly as it sounds, and as Reena and Lynne described.

As far as the diamond you're considering:
There's really no way to reccommend a diamond one's never seen. Well, one could do that, but it should not hold much water.
Your eyes are the most important judge.

Like, when talking about "eye clean"- of course there are standards we like to use- but the fact is, some people have much sharper eyes than others.

I would also add that Blue Nile is an excellent company, with a great name.
As such they charge a higher price than some of the smaller dealers.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Eye clean is whether it is eye clean to you. Make sure to look at the stone in various lighting conditions, various tilting positions & with corrective & non-corrective lenses.

And, yes, the diamond will reflect the color of it's surroundings - blue in the sky.

Good luck. Only your eyes will be able to give the final verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results