shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on this stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tj1

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, first-time poster. I found this site not too long ago and I''m already in awe of the vast amounts of info available here. Anyway, I wanted to get opinions on a stone, here are the specs:

. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 0.91
. Depth %: 62.5
. Table %: 56
. Crown Angle: 36
. Crown %: 16
. Star : 50
. Pavilion Angle: 40.2
. Pavilion %: 42
. Lower Girdle %: 80
. Girdle: Medium to thick FAC
. Measurements: 6.12-6.20X3.85
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Very Good
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None
$4,856.00

I didn''t want to post the exact link because I''d like to try and prevent someone from swooping in before me, since I can''t figure out how to "hold" it or anything!

I confirmed with the salesman that it is eye-clean. Is this a good stone for the price?

Also, a slightly unrelated question: How early is too early to buy? I''m probably not going to pop the question till this coming spring, but I am going to be going back to school VERY soon, so I was thinking of maybe buying it while I still have some free time (and while I still have some cash in reserve!). I''m also considering just looking now to get an idea of prices and then purchasing sometime in the winter. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

cdndman

Rough_Rock
what's the color of the stone??? sounds like a really nice choice.... ran it through HCA and it comes up with a 0.9 which is pretty nice.

I was in the same scenario as you.. school is kicking back up in september and I decided to buy now... prices can change due to currency and due to the price of gold or platinum.

Also it should be noted that you can see an increase in prices around popular proposal holidays.. such as christmas, valentines day, etc...

tj1

Rough_Rock
Color is F and it is VS2, guess I chopped that part off, haha.

Good point on the proposal holidays, I didn''t even think about that.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome tj1,

I would really want to see an Idealscope image for this one, especially due to the shallow pavilion angle, can you ask the vendor for one please? Do you have any other diamonds you are interested in?

HariSeldon

Shiny_Rock
Hey tj1,

I was in sorta the same boat as you. I started looking for and ER for my FF way in advance (planning on proposing in oct but started looking in the spring). Well I ended up finding a stone at Winfield''s at an incredible price with everything I wanted in specs. So I had to decide whether or not to buy early and take advantage of this great deal or to wait and hope that I find something similar later. Wink at Winfields helped me make up my mind by allowing me to put it on layaway until October. That way I locked in on the plat setting price and still had the option of changing my mind... albeit if I change my mind the 25% down payment could only be refunded in store goods but I''ve enjoyed working with Wink so much that if I changed my mind itd probably only be with another diamond through Winfields. It also allows me to retain the return policy after I recieve it in October. Just thought this might be an option you could consider.

Good luck!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely buy now if you can. Prices are only going to go up and with school in full swing, its a lot harder to look. I bought mine back in May and there''s a chance that I''m going to have to wait to propose until next May! I just got a safe deposit box to keep it in and that way it stays hidden from her and out of my hands so I don''t obsess over it.

diamondMary

Rough_Rock
The stone sounds good but have you seen this it? If possible, look at the stone and see how you like it. It doesn''t hurt to plan ahead. Good Luck!!
36.gif

tj1

Rough_Rock
Here is the ideal scope image, I hope it uploads...

12sagadfaenwkl.jpg

tj1

Rough_Rock
Looks like the ideal scope posted. I haven''t seen this particular stone in person as it is via an online jeweler. I haven''t really had the time to seriously look for other stones. This is the first one that I thought might be acceptable from the ones I''ve seen online, that''s part of the reason I''m eagerly soliciting opinions. I appreciate all the help
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 8:57:10 PM
Author: tj1
Looks like the ideal scope posted. I haven't seen this particular stone in person as it is via an online jeweler. I haven't really had the time to seriously look for other stones. This is the first one that I thought might be acceptable from the ones I've seen online, that's part of the reason I'm eagerly soliciting opinions. I appreciate all the help
1.gif
Ok, you asked for it.
9.gif
2.gif

This stone is not your typical round brilliant. It has a higher than average crown angle, coupled with a fairly shallow pavilion angle. It falls in the catergory of FIC, which stands for Firey Ideal Cut. Now, some people love them, I'm not saying it's bad, but it's different. It will look great in lower lighting, but won't look as great across the board as a differently cut round will. And if you have not seen many diamonds, much less many with different cuts, I would suggest passing this one up.

I would suggest this one, which has fantastic numbers, will look great anywhere, is bigger, and costs a tad less!
28.gif
It has strong blue fluorescence, which will help it appear whiter. But ask WF to check it and make sure it doesn't make it hazy/oily, which is rare. And of course ask if eyeclean.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1204627.htm#

tj1

Rough_Rock
OK, I''ll send them an email. Is the H color anything to be concerned about? Also, what do you mean by hazy/oily? (I''m new to this, sorry for the dumb questions).

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an educated advisor about a diamond''s cut, so I have not opinion on that, but in reference to you buying your ring super early, I would ask them what their return policy is if she doesn''t like the ring you bought and sat on for months. I know where I got mine, they said they would be liberal in cases where the ring wouldn''t be given right away ie. one of you lives far away and you two won''t be together for the proposal for a few months. I think most diamond salespeople don''t want to lose the "today" sale and will put in writing some kind of extension of their.30-day policy. If they won''t then you may risk not being able to trade the ring you picked, in case you change your mind, without it costing you your deposit. Just a thought!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 9:23:41 PM
OK, I''ll send them an email. Is the H color anything to be concerned about? Also, what do you mean by hazy/oily? (I''m new to this, sorry for the dumb questions).
No questions are dumb!

In a well cut stone, no, H should be just fine. When a stone is cut very well, it tends to mask some color. H is not that low to begin with, but in a stone of this cut, it will appear very white.

Fluorescence can, on the rare occasion, cause a stone to look milky or hazy in direct sunlight, but it really is rare. WF can take a look at it for you. Here''s a link that may help you understand it better.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

And put the stone on reserve while you think about it, so no one else can get it!

tj1

Rough_Rock
All right, I emailed WF, I''ll see what they say and report back. I asked them to hold it for me while I''m thinking, hopefully that''s OK. I was also looking at that link about fluorescence and they advise against buying a diamond with a Very Strong fluorescence, unless you can actually see it, I assume this one is OK at a Strong fluorescence?

I''ll also maybe see about extending the return policy, but I doubt they will be able to do it for over 6 months. I don''t think my GF would want to change it anyway, she has showed me some examples in the past similar to the Tiffany setting, so I''m thinking (hoping) that the round solitaire will be all right. Thanks again for all the suggestions and pointers!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen that WF diamond you posted is just awesome!!!

Love the H colour with strong blue fluoro... yummy! :)

Great price... I''m jealous!

x x x

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 10:34:07 PM
All right, I emailed WF, I''ll see what they say and report back. I asked them to hold it for me while I''m thinking, hopefully that''s OK. I was also looking at that link about fluorescence and they advise against buying a diamond with a Very Strong fluorescence, unless you can actually see it, I assume this one is OK at a Strong fluorescence?

I''ll also maybe see about extending the return policy, but I doubt they will be able to do it for over 6 months. I don''t think my GF would want to change it anyway, she has showed me some examples in the past similar to the Tiffany setting, so I''m thinking (hoping) that the round solitaire will be all right. Thanks again for all the suggestions and pointers!
Good deal! And yes, it''s ok to reserve stones, people do it all the time, so they can make a decision without worrying.

As for very strong/strong flo, if you are dealing with a reputable vendor (which you are), it''s ok to let them be your eyes. They know what to look for, and will check it out. They want to be honest about it, becuase they don''t want the stone coming right back to them if it''s not what you want.
28.gif

We''ll be waiting to see what they say!

Thanks Cleo, I like it too.
30.gif

tj1

Rough_Rock
All right, so they got back to me with good news and said that it is eye-clean and the fluorescence doesn't make it look milky or "any other negative". I didn't realize they needed a credit card no. to put it on hold, so I just called them with that and it's on hold for 24 hrs. It makes sense though, you'd have infinite hold requests otherwise.

Does anyone have experience with wire transfers with WF? I'm attracted to the savings opportunities that come with that. One concern I have is that I don't know the GF's ring size; I should have a ring sizer coming in the mail soon, but I'm hoping that I can buy the ring, and maybe get back to WF with the exact size.

Any other pointers or advice before I commit to the stone? I'm nervous about not seeing it but I trust the users here and WF seems to be highly rated. I guess you get more info from WF than Blue Nile or others--no ideal scope with them. In case you couldn't tell I get neurotic with buying expensive things!
40.gif

I think I'm going to get this setting in white gold: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Classic-tiffany-style-Knife-Edge_1137.htm# the sides seem more aesthetically pleasing to me for some reason than the less expensive 6-prong Tiffany-style setting, though maybe it's me.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 7:27:11 PM
All right, so they got back to me with good news and said that it is eye-clean and the fluorescence doesn''t make it look milky or ''any other negative''. I didn''t realize they needed a credit card no. to put it on hold, so I just called them with that and it''s on hold for 24 hrs. It makes sense though, you''d have infinite hold requests otherwise.

Does anyone have experience with wire transfers with WF? I''m attracted to the savings opportunities that come with that. One concern I have is that I don''t know the GF''s ring size; I should have a ring sizer coming in the mail soon, but I''m hoping that I can buy the ring, and maybe get back to WF with the exact size.

Any other pointers or advice before I commit to the stone? I''m nervous about not seeing it but I trust the users here and WF seems to be highly rated. I guess you get more info from WF than Blue Nile or others--no ideal scope with them. In case you couldn''t tell I get neurotic with buying expensive things!
40.gif

I think I''m going to get this setting in white gold: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Classic-tiffany-style-Knife-Edge_1137.htm# the sides seem more aesthetically pleasing to me for some reason than the less expensive 6-prong Tiffany-style setting, though maybe it''s me.
Great! And yes, they need to know you''re serious, before they tie up a stone.
28.gif

I have worked with WF, but used my CC. However, I would have no qualms doing so. (I have bank wired to GOG, it''s pretty painless)

What you might do, is go ahead and buy the stone, and have them hold it til you get the right size. I "think" you just have to put a deposit on the setting part (until it''s done), ask to be sure.

One thought I had about the setting, not all women love a knife edge. It might be safer to go with the regular, unless you know for sure she''d like it. (you could always do a poll thread asking women which one they would prefer, that might help) It''s just that some don''t find knife edges as comfortable.

Other than that, I think you''re good to go. You have a great stone, and you are working with a great company. No worries.
2.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
That''s great news! I absolutely love this diamond - and I''d buy it myself. :)

Whiteflash are awesome.. you have no worries there at all. I''m about to get them to make me a new mount for my e-ring. If you search on ''Whiteflash'' you''ll find loads of posts from people who have only had good stuff to say about them. Go ahead & make you bank transfer without a second thought, seriously.

I love the setting you''ve chosen.. it''s beautiful, classic & elegant. Your GF will be thrilled!

Regarding the diamond, I honestly believe you couldn''t do better. If you like it now just *wait* until you see it in person! :D

Please do post pics of the ring when it''s done though... especially of the yummy blue fluorescence!

x x x

*Slight hijack* Dockman3, are you seriously telling me you''ve got that awesome 3-stone ring and you''ve not proposed yet and will be waiting a whole year??! OMG - I''m amazed at your secret-keeping!

tj1

Rough_Rock
All right, you guys sold me, I''ll email them tonight and then call them in the morning to finalize the deal. I think I''ll probably stick with the knife edge, she emailed me a link to the Tiffany website a few months ago with an example of what she liked, and the setting on that ring is almost identical to the WF setting. I''ll just save that email and go back to it for evidence if she says otherwise! (just kidding)

I''ll have to find my digital camera to take pictures, though I''m not sure how well it will work--it''s about 5 years old and it gets blurry when taking up-close pictures. The GF has the nicer, newer camera, and I''m technologically challenged enough where I wouldn''t feel safe using her camera, knowing me I wouldn''t be able to delete the picture from it. Maybe this will be an excuse to get myself a new camera. I do promise, however, that I will post pics.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 8:27:45 PM
All right, you guys sold me, I''ll email them tonight and then call them in the morning to finalize the deal. I think I''ll probably stick with the knife edge, she emailed me a link to the Tiffany website a few months ago with an example of what she liked, and the setting on that ring is almost identical to the WF setting. I''ll just save that email and go back to it for evidence if she says otherwise! (just kidding)

I''ll have to find my digital camera to take pictures, though I''m not sure how well it will work--it''s about 5 years old and it gets blurry when taking up-close pictures. The GF has the nicer, newer camera, and I''m technologically challenged enough where I wouldn''t feel safe using her camera, knowing me I wouldn''t be able to delete the picture from it. Maybe this will be an excuse to get myself a new camera. I do promise, however, that I will post pics.
9.gif
LOL! Hey, it''s reallllly not such a bad idea.
9.gif
Seriously though, if she sent you a pic just about like it, I think you''re ok.
2.gif

And yes, get a new camera, we must see many clear, up close shots! Just make sure it has a macro feature.

I really am excited for you, you are gonna LOVE this stone.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results