shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on this e-bay antique oec?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
What do you think of this one? This vendor? The price?

Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200258053278&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Nope. They only accept returns if substantially "misrepresented".

I''d be more inclined to go with This OEC from Old World Diamonds

They have a full return policy, and it comes with an EGL cert (EGL not that uncommon on the older cuts). If you don''t like it after seeing it, just send it back. Adam is a dream to deal with.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Purfect. I think you are right.

The link you provided, though, takes me to the e-bay diamond, not an owd diamond.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purrfect Pear,

I think you accidentally linked to the eBay ring, instead of Old World. Can you fix your linky because I want to see the Old World stone you''re suggesting?

Thanks!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hiya Sonoma!!

The ring looks lovely, and the diamond itself appears to be a beautiful cut, based on the photos. And for the price - it can''t be beat!

If you are seriously considering it, I would email the seller and ask for more clarification about their return policy. As you know, grading diamonds is subjective and their G maybe someone else''s J or K. If you establish from the get go that you would like to have the ring looked at by a local appraiser, they may agree (be sure to get this writing, pay with a credit card via PP so you have 2 layers of protection) that if the item comes back not as described, to a full refund.

The ring, as a whole, is very charming, IMO.

ps: I responded to your question to me over in Jewelry, btw (the one where we are stalking Kroshka
3.gif
)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve bought once from that ebay seller. She always seems to have good stuff, mostly older stones set in yellow gold.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Addy. That helps. :)

Thanks Grace ! How can I thank you for the advice. I just e-mailed them on it.

It's cute, even if little, right? I don't like wearing expensive diamonds to work and this would give me something fun to wear on a daily basis. Will let you know how it goes. I'm wondering if you'd want to guess a date on it?

I don't think Kroshka is the easiest to get a hold of. I remember when I first saw her stone, I e-mailed the link to a few of my even non-diamond-crazy friends with an "OMG, you have to see this." They, too, understood.

Thanks again, so very much,

Sonoma

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2008 8:14:19 PM
Author: sonomacounty

I'm wondering if you'd want to guess a date on it?
I'm not Grace but I'll give you my best guess. My guess is mid-to-later period OEC, like 1915-1925ish. It has a smallish culet and the table appears biggish- like high 50%ish- for an OEC, and the faceting is pretty symmetrical... it does have the high pillowy crown though. It looks a heck of a lot like my mid-twenties OEC, very similar appearance.

If Grace thinks otherwise I'd go with her opinion
1.gif
Though I see a lot of old cuts at work and love / own them myself, I'm not an expert and I don't make a living selling them!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Did you win the auction? It looks like it ended now - I hope someone didn''t snatch it from you. Lots of lurkers on here.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Did you buy it sonoma? Not sure if you came across this link when I posted it, but I have bought from this seller and the grading was accurate.
I thought that stone looked pretty too.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You are most welcome, Sonoma!

I DO hope that it was you who won the auction. The ring grows on me everytime I look at it
3.gif
! You know what that puppy needs? A nice buff and polish and its gonna sparkle. Tons.

I would also guess that the OEC is a later cut - very close to a transitional in faceting, as a matter of fact.

Do come back and let us know - we are dying over here (ok, well, I am).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I also loved the diamond and it is a great price. I was soooo tempted to steal it from you but thought it would be too mean. I really wish that you got it.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
No, darn . . .

I just saw that. It was not me.

Well, that's what I get. I did want to ask you all first and I e-mailed the seller. I wasn't sure and I haven't e-bay'd much (only once before).

29.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Thanks for asking. Thanks to all of you for your help.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Trying to find ways to feel better
15.gif

Now, I guess I''ll just have to save up for an Erica Grace.
21.gif

I was originally interested in near a carat as I have a small old stone already but it is too small to really see what it is about (trying to convince self that I don''t feel that bad).

Say, what is an ideal table percentage on an oec?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh No ! I'm sorry - I've had my eye on that one too for a couple weeks, but couldn't justify buying more sparklies at the moment..lol..
Well, if its any concession that seller puts up new stuff nearly every week - the one thing though is their communication is not very good..
40.gif

you should also do a search for ebay seller mlopros, he does mainly loose vintage stones for very decent prices.
I have not bought from him, but other PS'ers such as BlinkyDoll have , and say his grading is very accurate.

fwiw, this tends to happen often with PS - its a shame you can't reserve things on Ebay...in future, perhaps try to just post the pic only. If you're having issues, make sure the size is under 100kb and change the name of the file to something unique..

hth
5.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
So sorry you lost your ring it looked really pretty.
35.gif

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Just for the record, I have purchased things from that seller and, to me, seems to be accurate with the grading on the things I have purchased!

I''m sorry you didn''t get it. But keep an eye on that seller, he adds new things about once every week or two!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you dodged a bullet. Why? Here’s their return policy as stated in the ad:

“We will accept return if the item is misrepresented by us. Item must be return within 3 days upon received. Return item must be in its original condition. There will be full refund less shipping and insurance, no exception.”

The only source of grading information you have is the seller and, presumably, you don’t know them from Adam. This means that you’ve got 3 days from receipt to return if you decide you don’t want it and the ONLY acceptable basis is a claim of misrepresentation. Fine, what’s the standard of proof? You are required to accept their word for the grading, what are the chances that they’ll accept yours for the return? Zip. This means that you need to provide a written expert opinion about grading and you need to do it within 3 days, not even business days mind you, just 3 days. Most cities do not have an independent appraiser or a qualified gem lab and you don’t have enough time to use someone out of town so will they accept the word of a local jeweler? Maybe, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Lots of sellers won’t. They would be right to point out a serious conflict of interest but even if the jeweler is right, they’re going to complain that their bias makes them unacceptable. It’s a no win situation for the buyer and the only reason for sellers to impose restrictions like this is to make it more difficult for you to do your due diligence and to force you to rely entirely on what they say.

In considering ebay ads, FIRST assess the credibility of the seller. If they don’t measure up, don’t even read the rest of the ad.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. Very much.

Thanks Denver. I really appreciate and understand your perspective. I can''t afford to buy a $400 stone that could have a dangerous feather or something and a not good chance at return. It''s really so fantastic to have professional contributions to questions. I greatly appreciate it.

Sonoma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results